ADVERTISEMENT

Pure Shooter

GOHOX69

HR Legend
Sep 26, 2009
After watching yesterday's brick laying fest, I thought I'd ask, who do you think was Iowa's last pure shooter? Has the game moved on from needing such an asset? It's something we sorely lack.

jbo-wolvy.png

In 2020-21 Garza shot .440 from 3 while Wieskamp and CJ were .462 and .474 respectively. Jbo shot .416 and .430 from 3 his first two years but .390 was his best out of his last 4 seasons. Had some real good shooters, too bad they weren't that good at defense (good job Fran). Keegan shot .398 last year and could push the rookie 3 pt record this year, currently shooting .415. You don't have to go back too far

In 2020-21 Garza shot .440 from 3 while Wieskamp and CJ were .462 and .474 respectively. Jbo shot .416 and .430 from 3 his first two years but .390 was his best out of his last 4 seasons. Had some real good shooters, too bad they weren't that good at defense (good job Fran). Keegan shot .398 last year and could push the rookie 3 pt record this year, currently shooting .415. You don't have to go back too far
I know we are just talking men's team, but Clark is pretty darn good. 3 years - 40, 33, 38% with the caveat that she also shoots averaging the longest shots of anyone in the top 10 shooters in the country (maybe just B1G?).

Reactions: GOHOX69
I know we are just talking men's team, but Clark is pretty darn good. 3 years - 40, 33, 38% with the caveat that she also shoots averaging the longest shots of anyone in the top 10 shooters in the country (maybe just B1G?).
Oh yes, she can shoot the rock. No doubt about it.

Some of you will think this is crazy but sanfort has one of the quickest releases Iowa has ever had. Great form and every shot feels like it is going in. If he had a guard to drive and kick he’d be much better off.

Sandfort is a pure shooter and the best on the team now. Fran has had some great shooters and pretty much every team has had one.

But you have to know that shooting is the most delicate part of basketball in that it does not take much for a shooter to be off. I know that the ball is a big debate because some think it is a factor and some do not, but, I read a reddit post earlier today by an objective person that compared the Wilson Evo NXT ball to the Nike Elite ball and when she weighed them the NXT ball weighed 6 oz. more. 6 oz.! That is a huge number and that is not saying anything about the feel of it.

Conversely, in the B1G if a team wants to win the regular season championship, they are going to have to win games in a variety of ways. The are certainly going to have to grind games out on the road when they are not shooting well by playing bully ball. They are going to have to have the ability to score points and run up and down with a team. They are going to have to be adaptive and be able to change their game plan on the fly and exploit anything they see. Eventually they are going to have to be able to defend. None of those are Iowa. Iowa can win one way and that is about it. Fran's teams are built around players that can shoot, not turn the ball over, run the motion offense over and over again to create a good look, and get easy points in transition. If they don't do one of any of those things, they lose. But, conversely, the ceiling is high and they can blow pretty much anyone out of the gym on any given day.

When my sons were involved with basketball, I always purchased them a quality ball. One year I made the mistake of buying them a Nike ball and it was like playing with a heavy rock.

Sandfort is a pure shooter and the best on the team now. Fran has had some great shooters and pretty much every team has had one.

But you have to know that shooting is the most delicate part of basketball in that it does not take much for a shooter to be off. I know that the ball is a big debate because some think it is a factor and some do not, but, I read a reddit post earlier today by an objective person that compared the Wilson Evo NXT ball to the Nike Elite ball and when she weighed them the NXT ball weighed 6 oz. more. 6 oz.! That is a huge number and that is not saying anything about the feel of it.

Conversely, in the B1G if a team wants to win the regular season championship, they are going to have to win games in a variety of ways. The are certainly going to have to grind games out on the road when they are not shooting well by playing bully ball. They are going to have to have the ability to score points and run up and down with a team. They are going to have to be adaptive and be able to change their game plan on the fly and exploit anything they see. Eventually they are going to have to be able to defend. None of those are Iowa. Iowa can win one way and that is about it. Fran's teams are built around players that can shoot, not turn the ball over, run the motion offense over and over again to create a good look, and get easy points in transition. If they don't do one of any of those things, they lose. But, conversely, the ceiling is high and they can blow pretty much anyone out of the gym on any given day.
I think fans want more of those given days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT