ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Guru - Brian Ferentz

It’s getting to be like the NFL anyway. Teams don’t even have to win and they get a gazillion dollars and few fans in attendance.

Iowa had a stupidly easy schedule. They beat no one above average. That’s how they win ten games. Bad teams make mistakes. I’m just thankful Iowa isn’t a sloppy and bad team. They were average, they beat other average teams. Their offense was ranked 105, thsts below average and indicates not good coaching. I’m not surprised many are upset with these coaching changes.
Schedule was advantageous. No one disputing that. Beginning of season everyone thought Indiana and Iowa State were the bees knees. ISU was probably pretty good but couldn't win close games. Indiana was bad. Minnesota won 9 games, definitely a good win there.

Penn State was not a bad team, couldn't win close games once Iowa beat them.

I would agree that if Iowa wants to win the West in 2022, they won't be able to do it just by letting the opponent make mistakes. Offense needs to be at least competent.

So KF would have us hayseeds believe he scoured the nation, and the best QB coach out there was . . . his own son! What are the odds? Statistically, one of the worst OCs in the country--a guy who took the job with NO experience in such a role--turns out to be the nation's best available QB coach, albeit with NO experience in such a role. What good fortune for KF! What a grand day for Hawkeye nation! What a coup for nepotism!

Even though this is exactly what I cynically expected to happen, I wasn't sure even KF had the gall to actually do it. But when GarBar has your back and the rest of your rich friends rubber stamp everything you do, I guess there's no downside. A head coach with no accountability can do whatever the hell he wants and, as usual, KF ain't wastin' that opportunity. And so Ferentz Football Inc., formerly known as the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, marches on.
Until Iowa goes back to winning 6-7 games, things aren't gonna change because they'll just throw out the "look at all the wins we have" card...................

This will allow Brian more time to be able to coach our qb’s to more effectively in running the QB sneak on both 3rd and 4th downs.

Jim Caldwell was a great QB coach. He was a DB during his playing career. You don’t have to be a former QB to be a very successful QB coach or OC.

Regarding Brian Ferentz, we have seen him call great games where execution failed. I think if the offense does not show significant improvement this year a much bigger change will happen next January. Personally I am rooting for him.
That bigger change will be BarF being BarF and someone down the chain will get let go (see Doyle for example).

Why precisely do people take issue ... apart from the fact that many of you simply seem to believe that Brian has a mediocre football mind? Also, for the record ... most of you don't understand football at a high level beyond "tourist level" ... so most casual fans possess little, if any, credibility.

Here's why it makes sense:
  • The main thing that Iowa's QB coach does is teach the QB how to read the game. Iowa's QB coach does NOT focus upon arm mechanics or things like that. Thus, the sort of minutia that might be outside of Brian's wheel-house isn't even the sort of thing he'd be worrying about anyhow.
  • It's important for the QB and the OC to be on the same page. Who better to help the QB be on the same page as the OC than the OC?
  • You don't need to be a former QB to be a QB coach ... you just need to understand the game of football. For example, O'Keefe was a former WR. He didn't even play at one of the more "cerebral" positions. In contrast, by playing at center ... Brian at least has prior experience playing at a "cerebral" football position. The QB, the center, the MIKE LB, and the FS are typically the most cerebral football positions given their responsibilities.
Also, suppose that Brian really was looking at NFL gigs. Maybe the allure of being QB coach was something that helped Kirk to retain him?
Oh good, he didn't leave

I get it, a lot of you really, really hate BF. I am not going to debate that but not everything is his fault or the sky is falling.
1) College qbs often hire a personal qb coach because rules limit the amount of time spent with the actual coach. This means that SP's current qb coach, who some would have liked, will probably spend more time with SP and his mechanics than if he was an Iowa coach.
2) as discussed, lots of coaches end up coaching positions they didn't play. See Woods.
3) As much as you hate BF, the offense has been set up the same during the previous OC's. The offense is limited by the head coach
4) we all loved Stanzi but remember the huge growing pains he went through with turnovers. I am sure you all will be VERY patient if Laura's does that.
5) Good qbs are hard to find. We could open up the offense but that does have a negative impact on the defense. Ball control and limited turnovers help the D.

Again, the offense was really bad and I want improvement but simply blaming everything on BF is tiresome and not really true.

I get it, a lot of you really, really hate BF. I am not going to debate that but not everything is his fault or the sky is falling.
1) College qbs often hire a personal qb coach because rules limit the amount of time spent with the actual coach. This means that SP's current qb coach, who some would have liked, will probably spend more time with SP and his mechanics than if he was an Iowa coach.
2) as discussed, lots of coaches end up coaching positions they didn't play. See Woods.
3) As much as you hate BF, the offense has been set up the same during the previous OC's. The offense is limited by the head coach
4) we all loved Stanzi but remember the huge growing pains he went through with turnovers. I am sure you all will be VERY patient if Laura's does that.
5) Good qbs are hard to find. We could open up the offense but that does have a negative impact on the defense. Ball control and limited turnovers help the D.

Again, the offense was really bad and I want improvement but simply blaming everything on BF is tiresome and not really true.
Out of all the things I could correct you on, the one I'll pick is the fact that people aren't blaming everything on Brian alone.

Just because they post about Brian Ferentz, specifically, doesn't mean that they don't acknowledge that there's so many different issues that contributed to the state the offense has fallen to.

Brian is just an easy scapegoat because he's the face of that side of the ball.

I am hoping that BF can get the offense working again. Iowa has had a decent offense in the past so with decent blocking and good execution, there is no reason why next year's team can't be decent on offense again. And having BF working with the QBs, he should be able to see who is leading and who has the most potential. I believe K O'Keefe was the QB coach when he was the OC so maybe this will help. If not, we'll find out pretty quickly.

Out of all the things I could correct you on, the one I'll pick is the fact that people aren't blaming everything on Brian alone.

Just because they post about Brian Ferentz, specifically, doesn't mean that they don't acknowledge that there's so many different issues that contributed to the state the offense has fallen to.

Brian is just an easy scapegoat because he's the face of that side of the ball.
Ah, I'd disagree with that. I have brought up specific examples of breakdowns in blocking, poor route running, etc. in the past but was told it's all BF's fault, regardless of who effs up.

The point is to win games. We win games.
But what if we could win more?.........

Excuse makers:

200.gif

Brian Ferentz will look alot better when the following happens:

1) QB Play - When the starting QB can just make the plays that are in front of them and accurately throw the football to a 65-67% completion percentage. While we take shots...our passing game is designed to move the chains and get players in space. 67% is clearly doable.

2) OL Play - Let's face it...alot of our issues last year on offense were because we couldn't consistently protect the QB, especially on the edge. Wisconsin and Purdue just abused our tackles. The issue I have isn't necessarily with BF's play calling or gameplan (outside of doing more chipping on the edge)...it's with recruiting at the OL position. At Iowa, we shouldn't be starting two freshmen on the OL, unless it's Tristan Wirfs or Brandon Scherff. BF certainly bears responsibility for the lack of experience on the OL and our recruiting there. The good news...all those young players are back...and they will be better.

3) WR / TE - You can't drop the freaking football. Part of being a consistent offense is that all guys are executing. I think people completely underestimate the impact of a dropped ball, especially when it's first down yardage. It's a turnover, without the loss of field position. It's huge. We had so many drops last year...and it was every player. Every one. LaPorta dropped balls, Ragaini dropped balls, etc. It can't happen.

4) Running game - We need to junk the outside zone against certain defenses period. IMO, we are much better in a man scheme with combo blocks, especially with a guy like Linderbaum last year. Hell, Colby is really good and can get to the next level. We had so many negative plays last year it was crazy. I loved Goodson, but I won't miss him giving up on runs. I think the Williams brothers showed they finish everything...and are physical.

Brian Ferentz will look alot better when the following happens:

1) QB Play - When the starting QB can just make the plays that are in front of them and accurately throw the football to a 65-67% completion percentage. While we take shots...our passing game is designed to move the chains and get players in space. 67% is clearly doable.

2) OL Play - Let's face it...alot of our issues last year on offense were because we couldn't consistently protect the QB, especially on the edge. Wisconsin and Purdue just abused our tackles. The issue I have isn't necessarily with BF's play calling or gameplan (outside of doing more chipping on the edge)...it's with recruiting at the OL position. At Iowa, we shouldn't be starting two freshmen on the OL, unless it's Tristan Wirfs or Brandon Scherff. BF certainly bears responsibility for the lack of experience on the OL and our recruiting there. The good news...all those young players are back...and they will be better.

3) WR / TE - You can't drop the freaking football. Part of being a consistent offense is that all guys are executing. I think people completely underestimate the impact of a dropped ball, especially when it's first down yardage. It's a turnover, without the loss of field position. It's huge. We had so many drops last year...and it was every player. Every one. LaPorta dropped balls, Ragaini dropped balls, etc. It can't happen.

4) Running game - We need to junk the outside zone against certain defenses period. IMO, we are much better in a man scheme with combo blocks, especially with a guy like Linderbaum last year. Hell, Colby is really good and can get to the next level. We had so many negative plays last year it was crazy. I loved Goodson, but I won't miss him giving up on runs. I think the Williams brothers showed they finish everything...and are physical.
i think 2 or more of the above happen but BF will still look bad at least on this board because despite any improvements we still end up dropping two games at least. so same shit record as last year. and the common denominator will still be BF particularly when one or more of the above four will undoubtedly fail in the losses.

Yes, it was set up the same under KF, but this was the second worse offensive season under KF statistically

i think 2 or more of the above happen but BF will still look bad at least on this board because despite any improvements we still end up dropping two games at least. so same shit record as last year. and the common denominator will still be BF particularly when one or more of the above four will undoubtedly fail in the losses.

WTF?????

If our offense remains, statistically, among teams that Iowa has no business being associated with (UMass and UConn), then yeah he will.....even if some of those things somehow manage to happen and our offense STILL puts up below standard numbers.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
If our offense remains, statistically, among teams that Iowa has no business being associated with (UMass and UConn), then yeah he will.....even if some of those things somehow manage to happen and our offense STILL puts up below standard numbers.
make no mistake that I do suffer when the Iowa O does (or sometimes doesn't) weird things but am willing to accept a constipated offensive output if it results in double-digit wins. For e.g we could rejigger the O so that it's in the top-40 but then D drops to merely top-25 and we end up 7-5. Yes, hypothetical and perhaps somewhat farcical -- but that is what transpired in 2005.
the iowa offense under brian has had some (few) incredible games against good opponents as well and like i've already alluded compiled a solid overall W-L with him at OC. i'm not yet ready to write off the guy as long as we keep ripping out wins (ugly is fine). My fear of 6-7 win seasons far outstrips my greed for a NC.

make no mistake that I do suffer when the Iowa O does (or sometimes doesn't) weird things but am willing to accept a constipated offensive output if it results in double-digit wins. For e.g we could rejigger the O so that it's in the top-40 but then D drops to merely top-25 and we end up 7-5. Yes, hypothetical and perhaps somewhat farcical -- but that is what transpired in 2005.
the iowa offense under brian has had some (few) incredible games against good opponents as well and like i've already alluded compiled a solid overall W-L with him at OC. i'm not yet ready to write off the guy as long as we keep ripping out wins (ugly is fine). My fear of 6-7 win seasons far outstrips my greed for a NC.
Top 40 o and top 25 d = 7-5?

Neb playing special teams for us? ;)

If the offense isn't decent, obviously folks will want him gone. Who in their right mind wouldn't?

And there's the issue. Why would there ever be or need to be a trade off between the offense and defense?

Yes, the two compliment each other, but it's not like if we improve the offense, then the defense is at risk for declining.

I'm sure you understand that, but there's people who truly think that is a concern.................it's not.

It’s getting to be like the NFL anyway. Teams don’t even have to win and they get a gazillion dollars and few fans in attendance.
Except, of course Iowa does win, our fans do turnout for home games and Iowa's salaries are hardly excessive.

The depth of delusional thinking on which all the constant ****ing complaining and personal attacks on everything KF & BF do is almost mentally interdimensional. You're all living in a completely different reality than the one in which the U of Iowa competes.

Except, of course Iowa does win, our fans do turnout for home games and Iowa's salaries are hardly excessive.

The depth of delusional thinking on which all the constant ****ing complaining and personal attacks on everything KF & BF do is almost mentally interdimensional. You're all living in a completely different reality than the one in which the U of Iowa competes.
The thing is that this is a discussion board. It’s not as if we’re out there marching on Iowa City for their heads. We’re venting our frustrations and the fact that some people on this board are 100% content with a bottom 7 offense.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
So KF would have us hayseeds believe he scoured the nation, and the best QB coach out there was . . . his own son! What are the odds? Statistically, one of the worst OCs in the country--a guy who took the job with NO experience in such a role--turns out to be the nation's best available QB coach, albeit with NO experience in such a role. What good fortune for KF! What a grand day for Hawkeye nation! What a coup for nepotism!

Even though this is exactly what I cynically expected to happen, I wasn't sure even KF had the gall to actually do it. But when GarBar has your back and the rest of your rich friends rubber stamp everything you do, I guess there's no downside. A head coach with no accountability can do whatever the hell he wants and, as usual, KF ain't wastin' that opportunity. And so Ferentz Football Inc., formerly known as the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, marches on.
And y'all were happy as hell that they extended this boob...our bed is made for years to come....what a freaking joke!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT