ADVERTISEMENT

Rathbun

I can certainly understand the rule in football and basketball because of a kids knowledge of their plays and signals in those systems. In wrestling its more individual but I do suppose having competed daily in the same room kids do know certain guys strengths and weaknesses or how to keep matches closer not giving up bonus points and such. I think having a big room also helps keep kids sharp having multiple people to wrestle instead of just one or two guys. Im looking for Brands angle here on why he may not be wanting to grant a release. Its still hard for me to see an iowa kids path be hindered from staying in state or having to drop down a division or two just to keep competing.

This makes Brands look petty and amateurish. Vehemently disagree with this move. Classless.

I can't help but think you took this a little too far. Brands at least has some sound logic to stand behind. He doesn't want to allow kids to transfer to rival schools without consequence. ISU was at one point claiming to be on equal footing as Iowa. I don't agree, but I heard the claim when Cael was there. That is not a program that Brands wants to see become a legitimate rival for in State recruiting battles.

I still don't agree with that decision, but at least I can understand the reasoning. It's not like he is refusing to release a kid to go back to his home State school which has a zero percent chance of beating his team. Especially if the kid will be required to sit out a year anyway because of inter conference transfer rules and not granting the release only hurts the kid financially. Lets say to a program like Rutgers if Rathburn was from New Jersey. That would be petty and no DI coach at a major program would do that.

Last edited:
Let's be clear. He is granting a release, it is just conditional, correct?

For all of my issues with how Sanderson handled Bubba, he did in fact grant him a release he just limited where he could go. I am sure each coach and/or program has solid reasoning for their conditions.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
I do not like the decision at all in wrestling. Especially an in-state non starter who just wants a chance to start and maybe has limited financial means. Football and basketball with the whole playbook and more team aspect with knowledge is a little different. Tarp - I agree with the first 2 sentences of your post but the last one, "Classless" is a tad harsh. That speaks to who a person is, i.e., their actual makeup as a human. Anyway, it is a bad look to not release a non-starter quite frankly without restrictions in almost all cases. Especially to a team like UNI who we are not even wrestling and which would allow a kid to pay instate tuition and wrestle. My 2 cents.

Reactions: TarpHawk
i'm sure this policy was made known to all iowa kids coming in, all the same turn him loose

Found this interesting read while researching Mr Tarp.

Adventures in Iowa Wrestling, 1987-91

June 1988: Lewboo and Brands stories

6/1/88
Stats for my first freestyle wrestling season at Iowa (1987-88):
15 Wins, 20 Losses.

Tournament placings: None.

Injuries: strained knee ligaments (both knees), separated sternum, black eye, bruised rib.

Season Highlight: Winning a match at freestyle nationals, and coming within a few points of qualifying for Olympic Trials.

6/2/88
Today I drilled takedowns on the takedown machine and threw the dummy a bit. My rib feels better--not 100%, but better. It should be ready in another week. I've been watching tapes, analyzing stuff, learning new stuff. And I felt very good on the dummy today.

The Brands will be All-Americans next year. I've got to keep up with them. 88-89 is a crucial year for me. Davis, Darkus, Heard, Glover, Caceras, Calabrese. Those are the top guys at 125.5. And Penrith and Melchiore, if they're at 125.5 Terry Brands has wrestled Davis, Darkus, Heard, and maybe Glover. I've only wrestled Davis and Ceceras. Steve Knight might be up there too. I've got to wrestle them all.

I think I'm going to improve a lot this year. I feel it. Barry's going to help me. Penrith and the Brands and the new guys will be good partners too.

Oh, I got a job as a waiter at the Iowa River Power Company. Changas closed. I'll make more money at a steak house than at a Mexican restaurant anyway.

I love summer. I can wear shorts and T-shirts every day.

Well, f--- it, I'm inspired.

6/3/88
I wrestled today with some guy named Niko. I felt good, but I got tired very quickly. That's okay. I felt good. I didn't go full-speed--only about 75-80%, and only for about 15 minutes.

Gable said he'll get me a key to the arena and the wrestling office so that I can work out at late at night when I want. That will be good.

I went downtown a couple of hours ago and ate dinner at Pizza Hut with Lennie Zalesky and his girlfriend Maria. Maria said she's going to introduce me to some friend of hers who is an Iowa cheerleader. I guess they feel the need to domesticate me.

6/5/88
I went to see a movie last night with Lewboo, Penrith, and Tom Brands, then we went to the Field House (bar). Some girls came over to our table and we were making introductions, and I said, "This is Randy Lewis. He's an Olympic champ."

He downplayed it and immediately changed the subject, which I was kind of surprised by, because he is kind of, um...he likes to talk about himself. So I figured, okay, I misjudged him and I was being really shallow by introducing him as an Olympic champ, because he doesn't want to use that to his advantage with women.

As soon as they left he said, "Tarpley, don't do it like that. You wait til I go to the bathroom, and while I'm GONE you tell them I'm an Olympic champ."

6/6/88
I wrestled live today against Kennevan. I killed him. I nailed him with a step-to-the-outside lateral drop from his shot. I also scored with a fireman's carry, an arm spin, a few singles, lots of counters and lots of backpoints. I gut-wrenched him several times and scored big with my power half.

Tonight I watched Tom Brands break up with his girlfriend Chris because she got mad at him for not calling her today. He got mad back and snarled, "I don't answer to nobody, not you, nobody." Then she said, "Okay, forget it, never mind." And he said, "No, I don't want to see you anymore. You're psycho."

He's a piece of work.

We're going to go down to the Field House on Friday night and try to pick up girls. It should be fun.

6/7/88
Today I went downtown, had a chocolate shake at Dill Burger, bought my 2 required textbooks for summer session (which starts next week), then walked over to the Iowa City swimming pool. No one was there yet, so I sat down by the river and read. I went for a quick dip in the river, then walked back to the pool. There were some cute moms in the kiddie pool, so I paid my $1.50 and went in. I ended up playing with a bunch of toddlers who were apparently from a nursery school. Their teacher was pretty hot--Suzanne. I wouldn't mind having a kid. I like toddlers.

At 2pm I walked to the arena and mopped the mats, then wrestled with some new guy named Eric. I didn't do as well as I thought I would. We went about 50-50 on takedowns, but I got a few more turns. I did score another step-to-the-outside lateral drop though--right to his back.

I exhausted myself. I'm out of shape.

But life is good.

6/11/88
I wrestled with Barry today on the mat. He beat the s--- out of me. I only scored two turns--well, a couple of others, but on those he reversed me and put me on my back.

Mike Hruska is going to be my apartment mate this year. Jim Heffernan and his girlfriend came by the Heff House today looking for Brooks. Jim warned me that Hruska is mentally deranged. We'll get along fine.

6/16/88
I wrestled with Regan and Niko today, going about even with both of them. Regan weighs 146, Niko weighs 153, so I'm wrestling well. I'm very tired and sore.

6/17/88
I'm on the front steps. It's about 1am. There is no power in the house, so this is the only place I can write. My brother sent me a bunch of photos of my 2 little nieces. I sat down on a bench and just stared at them for about a half hour. God, you take one look at little Emily and she's the entire universe. I've got to go home and see them. I want a kid now. I want a little girl just like her.

6/18/88
I'd like to get married to a nice, smart woman and play with my baby daughter at the kiddie pool on the weekends instead of hanging out with the wrestlers at the Field House.

6/21/88
I wrestled Terry Brands today. I did pretty well--maybe not quite 50%. He's so strong that he catches a lot of my mistakes. If you mess up a move he puts you on your back. I did very well countering his outside singles.

I sat next to a girl named Jenny in my class today. I like her. She's so sincere. She said she went home to see her dad for Father's Day. She works at JC Penney in the mall. She's from Prophetstown, Illinois.

6/27/88
Oh, man, you should've seen me against Terry Brands and Jon Anderson from Drake the other day. I was beating Terry and going even with Anderson. I couldn't f---ing believe it. That was on Thursday. Then on Friday I f---ing mauled a couple of Colorado twins, who I think going to UNI in the fall. I feel very good. I'm wrestling Tom Brands tomorrow. Last time I went about 40% with him. I also really need to start going hard with Davis and Penrith if I'm ever going to really progress against Brands and the Steiners.

6/30/88
I'm on the front steps of the Heff House, maybe for the last time. I'm moving into the new apartment tomorrow.

Camps are in full swing. We had a "Red Flag" practice yesterday for the camp kids to observe. I went with Terry Steiner and didn't do so well. Part of it is that he's too big. He also shoots well, though. I've got to do more offense against him.

I'm starting to like that girl Jenny from my class. She really is a sweetheart. I invited her to lift weights at the wrestling room "sometime." I need to see her in some skimpy gymwear.

Those f---ing Steiner twins, Troy and Terry, were back in there wrestling again this morning, and when I was leaving the arena this evening they were coming back in for another workout.

I listened to Gable speak to the campers over at the arena tonight. He talked about his sister, he talked about his match against Owings; he said a lot of interesting stuff. In answer to a question about if he had any regrets, he said that if he had to do it all over again he'd be more sincere and more dedicated. Interesting. I like that guy more and more.

He said that losing that last match in college helped him. It helped him grow. It helped guide him. He said, "You know, when something bad happens, you don't just quit and say, 'That's it.' You keep going."

This is tricky bc we can't let ISU start poaching kids from our room yet a release to uni will look like favoritism to Doug. I support the decision by brands in this one. He knows best what the whole story is.

I admire, like, and deeply respect Tom (and Terry).

I deeply respect the Iowa Wrestling program--want it to be #1 again.

My stance on transfers is that they should be allowed without penalty. Period.

Tom does a lot more that I agree with than disagree with. Every now and then he pisses me off. Trust me, he's man enough to take it. And I guarantee you that if the roles were reversed he'd speak his mind freely :)

So don't read too much animosity into it. I'm just competitive. I want Iowa to win.

Found this interesting read while researching Mr Tarp.

Adventures in Iowa Wrestling, 1987-91

June 1988: Lewboo and Brands stories

6/1/88
Stats for my first freestyle wrestling season at Iowa (1987-88):
15 Wins, 20 Losses.

Tournament placings: None.

Injuries: strained knee ligaments (both knees), separated sternum, black eye, bruised rib.

Season Highlight: Winning a match at freestyle nationals, and coming within a few points of qualifying for Olympic Trials.

6/2/88
Today I drilled takedowns on the takedown machine and threw the dummy a bit. My rib feels better--not 100%, but better. It should be ready in another week. I've been watching tapes, analyzing stuff, learning new stuff. And I felt very good on the dummy today.

The Brands will be All-Americans next year. I've got to keep up with them. 88-89 is a crucial year for me. Davis, Darkus, Heard, Glover, Caceras, Calabrese. Those are the top guys at 125.5. And Penrith and Melchiore, if they're at 125.5 Terry Brands has wrestled Davis, Darkus, Heard, and maybe Glover. I've only wrestled Davis and Ceceras. Steve Knight might be up there too. I've got to wrestle them all.

I think I'm going to improve a lot this year. I feel it. Barry's going to help me. Penrith and the Brands and the new guys will be good partners too.

Oh, I got a job as a waiter at the Iowa River Power Company. Changas closed. I'll make more money at a steak house than at a Mexican restaurant anyway.

I love summer. I can wear shorts and T-shirts every day.

Well, f--- it, I'm inspired.

6/3/88
I wrestled today with some guy named Niko. I felt good, but I got tired very quickly. That's okay. I felt good. I didn't go full-speed--only about 75-80%, and only for about 15 minutes.

Gable said he'll get me a key to the arena and the wrestling office so that I can work out at late at night when I want. That will be good.

I went downtown a couple of hours ago and ate dinner at Pizza Hut with Lennie Zalesky and his girlfriend Maria. Maria said she's going to introduce me to some friend of hers who is an Iowa cheerleader. I guess they feel the need to domesticate me.

6/5/88
I went to see a movie last night with Lewboo, Penrith, and Tom Brands, then we went to the Field House (bar). Some girls came over to our table and we were making introductions, and I said, "This is Randy Lewis. He's an Olympic champ."

He downplayed it and immediately changed the subject, which I was kind of surprised by, because he is kind of, um...he likes to talk about himself. So I figured, okay, I misjudged him and I was being really shallow by introducing him as an Olympic champ, because he doesn't want to use that to his advantage with women.

As soon as they left he said, "Tarpley, don't do it like that. You wait til I go to the bathroom, and while I'm GONE you tell them I'm an Olympic champ."

6/6/88
I wrestled live today against Kennevan. I killed him. I nailed him with a step-to-the-outside lateral drop from his shot. I also scored with a fireman's carry, an arm spin, a few singles, lots of counters and lots of backpoints. I gut-wrenched him several times and scored big with my power half.

Tonight I watched Tom Brands break up with his girlfriend Chris because she got mad at him for not calling her today. He got mad back and snarled, "I don't answer to nobody, not you, nobody." Then she said, "Okay, forget it, never mind." And he said, "No, I don't want to see you anymore. You're psycho."

He's a piece of work.

We're going to go down to the Field House on Friday night and try to pick up girls. It should be fun.

6/7/88
Today I went downtown, had a chocolate shake at Dill Burger, bought my 2 required textbooks for summer session (which starts next week), then walked over to the Iowa City swimming pool. No one was there yet, so I sat down by the river and read. I went for a quick dip in the river, then walked back to the pool. There were some cute moms in the kiddie pool, so I paid my $1.50 and went in. I ended up playing with a bunch of toddlers who were apparently from a nursery school. Their teacher was pretty hot--Suzanne. I wouldn't mind having a kid. I like toddlers.

At 2pm I walked to the arena and mopped the mats, then wrestled with some new guy named Eric. I didn't do as well as I thought I would. We went about 50-50 on takedowns, but I got a few more turns. I did score another step-to-the-outside lateral drop though--right to his back.

I exhausted myself. I'm out of shape.

But life is good.

6/11/88
I wrestled with Barry today on the mat. He beat the s--- out of me. I only scored two turns--well, a couple of others, but on those he reversed me and put me on my back.

Mike Hruska is going to be my apartment mate this year. Jim Heffernan and his girlfriend came by the Heff House today looking for Brooks. Jim warned me that Hruska is mentally deranged. We'll get along fine.

6/16/88
I wrestled with Regan and Niko today, going about even with both of them. Regan weighs 146, Niko weighs 153, so I'm wrestling well. I'm very tired and sore.

6/17/88
I'm on the front steps. It's about 1am. There is no power in the house, so this is the only place I can write. My brother sent me a bunch of photos of my 2 little nieces. I sat down on a bench and just stared at them for about a half hour. God, you take one look at little Emily and she's the entire universe. I've got to go home and see them. I want a kid now. I want a little girl just like her.

6/18/88
I'd like to get married to a nice, smart woman and play with my baby daughter at the kiddie pool on the weekends instead of hanging out with the wrestlers at the Field House.

6/21/88
I wrestled Terry Brands today. I did pretty well--maybe not quite 50%. He's so strong that he catches a lot of my mistakes. If you mess up a move he puts you on your back. I did very well countering his outside singles.

I sat next to a girl named Jenny in my class today. I like her. She's so sincere. She said she went home to see her dad for Father's Day. She works at JC Penney in the mall. She's from Prophetstown, Illinois.

6/27/88
Oh, man, you should've seen me against Terry Brands and Jon Anderson from Drake the other day. I was beating Terry and going even with Anderson. I couldn't f---ing believe it. That was on Thursday. Then on Friday I f---ing mauled a couple of Colorado twins, who I think going to UNI in the fall. I feel very good. I'm wrestling Tom Brands tomorrow. Last time I went about 40% with him. I also really need to start going hard with Davis and Penrith if I'm ever going to really progress against Brands and the Steiners.

6/30/88
I'm on the front steps of the Heff House, maybe for the last time. I'm moving into the new apartment tomorrow.

Camps are in full swing. We had a "Red Flag" practice yesterday for the camp kids to observe. I went with Terry Steiner and didn't do so well. Part of it is that he's too big. He also shoots well, though. I've got to do more offense against him.

I'm starting to like that girl Jenny from my class. She really is a sweetheart. I invited her to lift weights at the wrestling room "sometime." I need to see her in some skimpy gymwear.

Those f---ing Steiner twins, Troy and Terry, were back in there wrestling again this morning, and when I was leaving the arena this evening they were coming back in for another workout.

I listened to Gable speak to the campers over at the arena tonight. He talked about his sister, he talked about his match against Owings; he said a lot of interesting stuff. In answer to a question about if he had any regrets, he said that if he had to do it all over again he'd be more sincere and more dedicated. Interesting. I like that guy more and more.

He said that losing that last match in college helped him. It helped him grow. It helped guide him. He said, "You know, when something bad happens, you don't just quit and say, 'That's it.' You keep going."
Jenny and I separated this year, unfortunately, after 26 years. I still want a baby daughter to play with at the kiddie pool. Same guy, different year.

I admire, like, and deeply respect Tom (and Terry).

I deeply respect the Iowa Wrestling program--want it to be #1 again.

My stance on transfers is that they should be allowed without penalty. Period.

Tom does a lot more that I agree with than disagree with. Every now and then he pisses me off. Trust me, he's man enough to take it. And I guarantee you that if the roles were reversed he'd speak his mind freely :)

So don't read too much animosity into it. I'm just competitive. I want Iowa to win.
I can respect that. I have been reading up on you this afternoon. Your old blogs are a riot! And you are clearly a sucessful/driven person which i also favor.
I spent a lot of time at The Fieldhouse myself. There is never a shortage of girls around. Love Iowa City! Staying out of trouble was always a challenge lol..

The Steiner brothers don't get a lot of mention these days. I was wondering if you had any cool stories to tell about them? I was only college age in 2002 so i missed out on a lot of that info.

I can respect that. I have been reading up on you this afternoon. Your old blogs are a riot! And you are clearly a sucessful/driven person which i also favor.
I spent a lot of time at The Fieldhouse myself. There is never a shortage of girls around. Love Iowa City! Staying out of trouble was always a challenge lol..

The Steiner brothers don't get a lot of mention these days. I was wondering if you had any cool stories to tell about them? I was only college age in 2002 so i missed out on a lot of that info.
Not Tarp and no first-hand info, but my brother-in-law had a number of friends on those teams and hung out with the Steiners pretty often. Has nothing but glowing things to say about them -- mild-mannered, friendly, and solid citizens. Not a cool story at all, but speaks highly of their character.

Kids flip and flop all the time. He gave his word to the University of Iowa wrestling program. I thought wrestling was supposed to turn boys into men when things got hard. There have been plenty of wrestlers (and other athletes) that felt like leaving/quitting in the beginning. Many that end up being studs.

Not Tarp and no first-hand info, but my brother-in-law had a number of friends on those teams and hung out with the Steiners pretty often. Has nothing but glowing things to say about them -- mild-mannered, friendly, and solid citizens. Not a cool story at all, but speaks highly of their character.
I just watched Terry Steiner's 1993 NCAA Final with Troy Sunderland of Penn State. Fantastic match

Never would have guessed you for around 33. Wild Turkey always seemed for the older crowd.

Kids flip and flop all the time. He gave his word to the University of Iowa wrestling program. I thought wrestling was supposed to turn boys into men when things got hard. There have been plenty of wrestlers (and other athletes) that felt like leaving/quitting in the beginning. Many that end up being studs.

It just isn't that black and white. His leaving isn't simply about loyalty. It is more about realization and sucking up your pride. Spending 4 or 5 years never being the guy is very hard to take. This is especially true if you know you are good enough to be a DI starter, NCAA qualifier and maybe even an AA.

I know being an NCAA Champ is a standard expectation at Iowa. But, it isn't a realistic one for a vast majority of wrestlers. Realizing this as a back up is hard. You finally accept that you can't beat that guy ahead of you. That doesn't mean you quit. It just means you accept the truth. But, you can give yourself more realistic goals. Become a starter somewhere . Be over .500. Place in your conference. Qualify for NCAA's. Win a match at NCAA's. Maybe even reach the podium.

As long as they aren't leaving with the intent to hurt the program, letting them leave to try to pursue their goals and dreams somewhere they may actually have a chance to do so makes too much sense.

You had to play the man card? Seems as though over the years Iowa wrestling has received the benefit of quite a few of these quitters

As a kid, I had the opportunity to be coached by Troy Steiner at his Advance School of Wrestling kids club. Excellent coach and role model.

Also had the opportunity to be coached by Eric Juergens. Also a fantastic coach and role model.

I'd be gone too. This it for his life as a wrestler. I'd go anywhere I could start to finish my career.

You mean like Tom did on his word to Virginia Tech? Please. This is a non-revenue sport, so it makes even LESS sense to not allow transfers.

I was on this board when it came out that Edinboro wasn't releasing Lugo, and when we slammed Penn State for possibly not releasing Suriano. Can't have it both ways.

You mean like Tom did on his word to Virginia Tech? Please. This is a non-revenue sport, so it makes even LESS sense to not allow transfers.

I was on this board when it came out that Edinboro wasn't releasing Lugo, and when we slammed Penn State for possibly not releasing Suriano. Can't have it both ways.

I agree 100%.

I agree with this. And, for the record, I will not and have not slammed Edinboro or PSU on this subject. I'm more of a case by case type but I'm also not against consequence for athletes who want to leave.

Where are the old blogs at?

The great thing and bad thing about the Steiner brothers is that there are no stories to tell. They worked out 24 hours a day, never fought, never drank, never raised their voices, never caused trouble.

Jennifer recalled asking one of them a question once and not being able to hear the answer because he was talking so softly. She said she just nodded and smiled, then politely walked away.

Tarp - sorry for maybe jumping the gun on my post in response to your "classless" comment. Seemed a tad harsh at first blush and I responded. I am in agreement with your general sentiment on the issue and you have always been very fair and objective on the coaches, wrestlers and recruiting. Also, sorry to hear about your personal situation. Keep a stiff upper lip and thanks for your wrestling insight Tarp.

Look for another exodus soon.. This one is strange and may sting a bit.

You mean like Tom did on his word to Virginia Tech? Please. This is a non-revenue sport, so it makes even LESS sense to not allow transfers..

Wasn't Tom entirely open about his desire to leave for Iowa if it came open?

I wonder if Jacob Warner is thinking about asking for a release and transfer to Illinois? His high school coach Brian Medlin just took the head job at Illinois Regional Training Center in Champaign.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT