ADVERTISEMENT

Rathbun

Thanks Chief. I was about ready to lose my stuff. I can deal with 1 every other year or so and GT is stinging for awhile.

Reactions: IAChief32
Thanks Chief. I was about ready to lose my stuff. I can deal with 1 every other year or so and GT is stinging for awhile.

He would be in the same position as Suriano...B1G to B1G. One just has to look at weights where there is almost a zero shot at starting in the next four years. Last clue, this individual has not been a starter.

Unless those guys can no longer make 141, how do they fit the definition of having almost zero shot at starting?

Zero shot of starting next 4 years. Must be a redshirt freshman..might sting a bit.....I say Happel.

I don't think I'd put Happel @ 0% chance.. maybe someone in the 165 pound range not named Marinelli...

Man I thought Happel had a really good shot at starting this season. Hope it's not him or any or the others listed.

Tarp - sorry for maybe jumping the gun on my post in response to your "classless" comment. Seemed a tad harsh at first blush and I responded. I am in agreement with your general sentiment on the issue and you have always been very fair and objective on the coaches, wrestlers and recruiting. Also, sorry to hear about your personal situation. Keep a stiff upper lip and thanks for your wrestling insight Tarp.
Thanks. And I hereby rescind the "classless" remark. It was a tad harsh.

But I interrupted an important and potentially alarming new development on this thread. Please, more info on the mystery transfer.

Would have been out starter at 125 this year, IMO. If what I was told is true, some people on staff need to get a freaking grip.

Seriously, whats going on? Wagner, Rathbun, Ryan and Malcom all transferring. Probably only one provisional starter out of the group so nothing earth shattering but that's a lot of guys leaving in one off season.

Wagner has a 90% of starting this year. That's > "almost no chance" of starting in the next 4 years. Now if someone said Costello...

Reactions: wasdt21
Wasn't Tom entirely open about his desire to leave for Iowa if it came open?

That is my recollection too. Vak is being a little unfair to Tom regarding the VT departure. I'd read somewhere Brands was pretty open about his dream to be head coach at Iowa.

Reactions: 24 so far
Seriously, whats going on? Wagner, Rathbun, Ryan and Malcom all transferring. Probably only one provisional starter out of the group so nothing earth shattering but that's a lot of guys leaving in one off season.

Seriously.... thanks for your concern

Reactions: 24 so far
Im sure you will start a new thread on BWI about it shortly. Only because you care right?

Reactions: DirkTang1
The great thing and bad thing about the Steiner brothers is that there are no stories to tell. They worked out 24 hours a day, never fought, never drank, never raised their voices, never caused trouble.

Jennifer recalled asking one of them a question once and not being able to hear the answer because he was talking so softly. She said she just nodded and smiled, then politely walked away.

That's how you ended up wearing the puffy shirt, right? Just kidding Tarp, love your stories and posts.

giphy.gif

Reactions: HawkMD and TarpHawk
If Wagner, that's a bummer; may hurt in a few close duals but probably little or no NCAA impact. If he thinks he can AA down the road somewhere else he should pursue that dream; it's not gonna happen sitting on the bench behind Spencer Lee and regretting it. All of these guys are talented athletes with dreams, and it says more about the program that they wanted to be here in the first place (dream big) than that they are leaving.

Last thing and then I'll shut up. Please try not to disparage kids who leave. They dreamed of wrestling for the Hawks, of being the best. I've been teammates and roommates with guys who had the same dream--everyone in the room had the same dream--and most of the time it doesn't work out, and it's brutal and it's heartbreaking and that's just life. It's never a failure to dream big and fall short; it's a failure to never dream big. That is all.

Is it? 4 "room guy types" leaving in 1 year doesn't seem like a lot to me. A lot of guys like that decide they want to see the mat and believe their best chance is elsewhere.

Welp...that's what happens at normal programs when some guys who think they have a shot and find out that it might not be there for them. All are solid wrestlers who should be able to find a good program.

Last edited:
You think Rathbun is lying about his own eligibility situation?

I don't think he is lying but he is giving his point of view. I don't think Pat Downey is lying about ISU. But he is definitely giving a skewed perspective of his point of view.

I know nothing about this situation but I teach kids this age for a living. Accountability is a huge issues with these kids & I am just saying there are two sides to every coin.

Is it? 4 "room guy types" leaving in 1 year doesn't seem like a lot to me. A lot of guys like that decide they want to see the mat and believe their best chance is elsewhere.

Being a room/practice guy & going to school fulltime has to be very challenging from a motivational perspective. At some point I am sure it is logical to ask oneself why you are doing all these work & NOT get to wrestle in meets. I think it takes a very tough & selfless individual to stay in that position.

If ryan got his release should make uni and iowa dual closer. Think ryan only loses to kemerer by 14 not give up the tech

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT