ADVERTISEMENT

Raylen Sharpe

Looks like he's visiting on Tuesday followed by North Texas on Thursday.

Appears he may have originally gone to Houston and redshirted there.

Pretty impressive stats last year against some good teams.

Great hands. Quick burst not sure about straight line speed vs B1G defenses but the fact that he rarely dropped balls is a HUGE bonus. And have experience. Think MO state ran an RPO type offense. He also was a return man, so could possibly offer him starting job there. North Texas is a much more electric offense than Iowa however ( the school he is visiting Thursday)

Great hands. Quick burst not sure about straight line speed vs B1G defenses but the fact that he rarely dropped balls is a HUGE bonus. And have experience. Think MO state ran an RPO type offense. He also was a return man, so could possibly offer him starting job there. North Texas is a much more electric offense than Iowa however ( the school he is visiting Thursday)
The Shady Acres 80+, walkers required league is more electric than the garbage we’ve been putting out.

The Shady Acres 80+, walkers required league is more electric than the garbage we’ve been putting out.
200w.gif

Great hands. Quick burst not sure about straight line speed vs B1G defenses but the fact that he rarely dropped balls is a HUGE bonus. And have experience. Think MO state ran an RPO type offense.
How does he do regarding catching balls not thrown directly to him? Sounds like Hill and Lainez were having some accuracy problems yesterday.

How does he do regarding catching balls not thrown directly to him? Sounds like Hill and Lainez were having some accuracy problems yesterday.
I mean hes got good hands but idk if they are catch deacon throws good… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Front page says he's a target at WR out of MO St. See he is short and fast. Any FCS nerds got intel on him?
Write up from ESPN
-----

Raylen Sharpe, WR​

Transferring from: Missouri State

HT: 5-9 | WT: 172 | Class: Junior

i

Sharpe was a talented quarterback out of Texas power Allen High School and owns the school record in the 300-meter hurdles. Originally committed to SMU, he ended up at Houston, where he participated in both track and football. After seeing no action with the Cougars, he transferred to Missouri State, where he became an explosive playmaker.

In 2023, he finished with 73 receptions for 991 yards and 7 touchdowns. He returned 10 punts for 116 yards and earned FCS third-team All-America honors. He is slight in stature but ultra-quick and elusive both as a route runner and after the catch.

Sharpe should be highly sought after at the FBS level, at least as a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver who can return kicks. Iowa lacked an explosive playmaker in 2023 and finished last in the Big Ten in total offense. While Iowa rebuilds its offense under first-year coordinator Tim Lester, Sharpe could provide some help.

I see we offered Raylen. Does anyone know if we offered a scholarship or PWO, he’s getting a lot of attention so imagine it’s a scholarship. This whole being over the limit thing has to be hurting us a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: obfuscating
I'm all for injecting the WR room with talent like this. But I note if he commits to Iowa that'll be his 4th college in 3 years (first SMU, then Houston, then Missouri State, now new school). Not the typical Ferentz recruit, but beggars can't be choosy and we need a guy with his quickness and productivity. Could be a Ragaini but with good hands.

Last edited:
I'm all for injecting the WR room with talent like this. But I note if he commits to Iowa that'll be his 4th college in 3 years. Not the typical Ferentz recruit, but beggars can't be choosy.
LOL, he was a walk-on at Houston and wanted a shot to play. He tore it up at Missouri State. Why would he not move back to the FBS level?

I'm all for injecting the WR room with talent like this. But I note if he commits to Iowa that'll be his 4th college in 3 years. Not the typical Ferentz recruit, but beggars can't be choosy.
His instance is a little different IMO. He dropped to FCS, likely to get PT, and succeeded. Now he wants to run with the big boys again. If it was character issues or commitment issues I could understand the hesitation.

I see we offered Raylen. Does anyone know if we offered a scholarship or PWO, he’s getting a lot of attention so imagine it’s a scholarship. This whole being over the limit thing has to be hurting us a bit
THis is a business, KF has to cut loose the ones that aren't cutting it.

I'm all for injecting the WR room with talent like this. But I note if he commits to Iowa that'll be his 4th college in 3 years (first SMU, then Houston, then Missouri State, now new school). Not the typical Ferentz recruit, but beggars can't be choosy and we need a guy with his quickness and productivity. Could be a Ragaini but with good hands.
Damon Powell-esque

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Willing to bet it's worth it to the staff since they are allegedly on him already.

Powell ran a 4.3 40. At this point, Iowa would be thrilled if they can get a portal WR who runs a 4.5.

LOL….once again you say the dumbest things. We have routinely had plenty of fast WR, their issue has been drops, QB’s schemes etc….,

This board has complained about our wide receiver, speed for years and years and years… And every pro day season our wide receivers go on to run, mostly respectable times.

No one could figure out why Riley McCarron played at all until he ran a 4.34 and then everyone wanted to know why he didn’t play more….🤷‍♂️

It’s one of the primary reasons I have such distain for those particular fans…they are clueless

Sharpe reminds me of Webster Slaughter. Similar size and build, with excellent athleticism and speed. Webster is listed at 6'1", but I've played noon basketball with him and there's no way he's that tall. Maybe 5'11", which is still taller than Sharpe. What Webster has in abundance is competitive drive. Hopefully, Sharpe has that, too.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Wetjen is the fastest guy on the team, and he's plenty fast. Sharpe would be an excellent addition at WR. Guys his size, if you can get them the ball, are a nightmare in the open field. The combination of speed and quickness is deadly for defenses. With Wetjen and Sharpe legit deep threats, that opens the middle of the field for Lachey and others. Anyone who's played any level of decent football knows that trying to tackle guys like Wetjen and Sharpe in the open field is usually a losing proposition. I'd love to have both of these guys to go with a QB who knows how to get them the ball.

It is all a matter of perspective, I live out of state and only watch on tv. ( Life long fan, however.) Fast/slow- hard for me the judge, I have not seen a Hawkeye WR run 40 yards in sometime! - sorry, could not resist!

It is all a matter of perspective, I live out of state and only watch on tv. ( Life long fan, however.) Fast/slow- hard for me the judge, I have not seen a Hawkeye WR run 40 yards in sometime! - sorry, could not resist!
Not since September 2022 against Nevada.

Powell ran a 4.3 40. At this point, Iowa would be thrilled if they can get a portal WR who runs a 4.5.
Powell's HS specs from HUDL:
  • Jersey # : 5
  • Positions: QB, SB
  • Height & Weight: 5'9" 152lbs
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.36
  • Vertical: 38
  • Bench: 280
  • 100 Meter Dash: 10.7
  • 400 Meter Dash: 48
  • Squat (lbs): 350
  • Clean (lbs): 255
  • Class of: 2020
Powell's Track Stats From MileSplit United States:
  • 60 Meter Dash, 7.22.
  • 60 Meter Hurdles, 8.34.
  • 110 Meter Hurdles, 14.44.
  • 300 Meter Hurdles, 38.38.
  • 400 Meter Hurdles, 54.24

Last edited:
Reactions: chaneccooms
Wetjen is the fastest guy on the team, and he's plenty fast. Sharpe would be an excellent addition at WR. Guys his size, if you can get them the ball, are a nightmare in the open field. The combination of speed and quickness is deadly for defenses. With Wetjen and Sharpe legit deep threats, that opens the middle of the field for Lachey and others. Anyone who's played any level of decent football knows that trying to tackle guys like Wetjen and Sharpe in the open field is usually a losing proposition. I'd love to have both of these guys to go with a QB who knows how to get them the ball.
once they have the ball they can be great. problem is these small jets require a extra good and accurate qb who gets the ball out quick.

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT