ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment rumors

I don’t think the timing of the UW and Oregon report along with the magnificent seven report is a coincidence.

Further expansion will happen, it’s just a matter of when. Funny enough, the B12 is actually in a pretty good position, at least relatively speaking. They seem to be firmly in place as the most stable Tier 2 conference (mostly because no one wants their programs).
Yep.

They were the first conference on the menu to become self aware.

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982
I don't mind Prime. He is old school at heart.

I dont worry about Prime but I think Colo is a geographically close team, a long one day drive for Iowa fans for a road trip, Colo and Nebby could rekindle their long dormant, friendly(not) rivalry. Fans can do some mountain area visiting also

I’ve never been able to find proof of it (and have looked extensively and even called the Big Ten office), but…

I read once that the “Ten” in “Big Ten” did NOT in fact stand for the 10 schools in the conference, but rather for the 10 commissioners (1 for each of the then-7 schools plus 3 at-large) that ran the conference at the time.

I do know that, for a long time, “Big Ten” was only an unofficial name of the conference that the media would casually use.

Hold the phone boys. The ACC is ripe for the picking. It is possible that schools like UNC , Virginia, Florida St., and Clemson might be in play. If ND will not play ball then screw em. See what happens and get these schools. If the ACC does fold or teams leave I see this infolding

To the BIG
UNC
UVA
FSU
Clemson

To the SEC
NC State
V Tech
Louisville
*Duke or Miami

To the Big 12
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
*Duke or Miami
Colorado St.
Boise State

To the AAC
Boston College
Wake Forest
UCONN
Army
*The AAC may start to poach the Sun Belt for Old Dominion, GA State and possibly JMU

To the PAC
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV
Fresno St.
Air Force
Rumors of Tulane and Rice but who knows
* Notre Dame- kind of like the deal they have with the ACC where they can dictate what they want
If the PAC was smart they may try and grab a few more schools in Texas like UTSA and go get Tulsa to get in that middle time zone with SMU

MWC
UTEP
NM State
* Texas State
Alberdine Christian
Tarelton State
Texas Rio Grande
Stephen F Austin
Sam Houston State

Sun Belt
Jacksonville State
North Alabama
Kennesaw State

Now you still have Western Kentucky, Mid Tenn State, FIU, La Tech , UMASS and Liberty out there to fill in for eastern conferences that may need a team or two.

Last edited:
its not Kinnick in the month of November, its a road trip to Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin I am looking forward too. then there is the road trip to PSU, Maryland and Rutgers, after a couple road trips like those they might just night go wtf did we leave the PAC 12.

the expenses for flying coast to coast just to play a game.
Are their trips going to be longer sure, but they had trips much longer in the Pac 12 then Big teams experienced already. LA to Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Colorado and their every other year trip to ND.

USC has been playing in the Midwest in Oct for decades. Every other year at ND. Long flight and cold weather. Lately not so good but no trouble in the Pete Carroll years. ND did not fair well home or away during the Carroll years. Can Lincoln repeat this?

personnally hate the Idea of the BT having 20 teams. the league is watered down enough as it is and you people want to water it down even more.
Not sure how guys like you get out of bed in the morning. Change is inevitable, and it's happening very quickly these days in all aspects of life. You either adapt or don't. We're lucky to have had leadership in the Big Ten who were ahead of the game in this. We're the smallest public school in the Big Ten. If we were in the Big 12 we would be in the outside looking in. Like it or not this is good for us.

Not sure how guys like you get out of bed in the morning. Change is inevitable, and it's happening very quickly these days in all aspects of life. You either adapt or don't. We're lucky to have had leadership in the Big Ten who were ahead of the game in this. We're the smallest public school in the Big Ten. If we were in the Big 12 we would be in the outside looking in. Like it or not this is good for us.
I see the BIG, SEC, Big 12 with 20 teams with the PAC somehow surviving with 16 and and the AAC MWC SB and Mac all looking a little different.

hell why not have 2 65 team conference and be done with it.
also why would any of you want U-N-Cheats in the BT? after all the BT does have the reputation of higher education while UNC has the reputation of providing fake classes and don't have their athlete attend them or even turn in papers or take tests.

I dont worry about Prime but I think Colo is a geographically close team, a long one day drive for Iowa fans for a road trip, Colo and Nebby could rekindle their long dormant, friendly(not) rivalry. Fans can do some mountain area visiting also
Kind of agree with this. Also, there is a lot of BIG10 alumni in and around the Denver area. Similar to how I view KC currently in regards to the BIG10

hell why not have 2 65 team conference and be done with it.
also why would any of you want U-N-Cheats in the BT? after all the BT does have the reputation of higher education while UNC has the reputation of providing fake classes and don't have their athlete attend them or even turn in papers or take tests.
UNC is an AAU university. They are a National brand and are in state with a robust and growing population. The two major cities (Charlotte and Raleigh) are booming as are the smaller cities (Winston Salem, Durham, Greensboro) . Great football talent and fertile recruiting state. And UNC academics are on par or better than many schools in the BIG

Last edited:
Hold the phone boys. The ACC is ripe for the picking. It is possible that schools like UNC , Virginia, Florida St., and Clemson might be in play. If ND will not play ball then screw em. See what happens and get these schools. If the ACC does fold or teams leave I see this infolding

To the BIG
UNC
UVA
FSU
Clemson

To the SEC
NC State
V Tech
Louisville
*Duke or Miami

To the Big 12
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Georgia Tech
*Duke or Miami
Colorado St.
Boise State

To the AAC
Boston College
Wake Forest
UCONN
Army
*The AAC may start to poach the Sun Belt for Old Dominion, GA State and possibly JMU

To the PAC
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV
Fresno St.
Air Force
Rumors of Tulane and Rice but who knows
* Notre Dame- kind of like the deal they have with the ACC where they can dictate what they want
If the PAC was smart they may try and grab a few more schools in Texas like UTSA and go get Tulsa to get in that middle time zone with SMU

MWC
UTEP
NM State
* Texas State
Alberdine Christian
Tarelton State
Texas Rio Grande
Stephen F Austin
Sam Houston State

Sun Belt
Jacksonville State
North Alabama
Kennesaw State

Now you still have Western Kentucky, Mid Tenn State, FIU, La Tech , UMASS and Liberty out there to fill in for eastern conferences that may need a team or two.
I feel like Miami fits the big10 better than FSU imo.

UNC is an AAU university. They are a National brand and are in state with a robust and growing population. The two major cities (Charlotte and Raleigh) are booming as is the smaller cities (Winston Salem, Durham, Greensboro) . Great football talent and fertile recruiting state. And UNC academics are on par or better than many schools in the BIG
Agreed. Obviously at this point the BIG10 is trying to have a national footprint under one roof. These additions are fine as long as they move to a pod system to have some semblance of regionalism.

Reactions: dadster and sammyk
UNC is an AAU university. They are a National brand and are in state with a robust and growing population. The two major cities (Charlotte and Raleigh) are booming as are the smaller cities (Winston Salem, Durham, Greensboro) . Great football talent and fertile recruiting state. And UNC academics are on par or better than many schools in the BIG

only thru cheating are they even close to BT schools the talent is the BB not FB. you like UN Cheats so much you can follow them.

UN Cheats and Norte Dame can both burn in hell as far as I am concerned and I'm Catholic.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
only thru cheating are they even close to BT schools the talent is the BB not FB. you like UN Cheats so much you can follow them.

UN Cheats and Norte Dame can both burn in hell as far as I am concerned and I'm Catholic.
I sense some anger in you. May I suggest that you eat a banana to help your mood. And I do follow them but as far as academics go they are right there

I sense some anger in you. May I suggest that you eat a banana to help your mood. And I do follow them but as far as academics go they are right there
you are way to young to remember The Fainting irish of ND when they put a whole new meaning to faking injuries to stop the clock to force a tie with Iowa back in the early 50's. if you were old enough then you might understand my hatred.

I hate cheaters more than anything especially in regards to school.

you are way to young to remember The Fainting irish of ND when they put a whole new meaning to faking injuries to stop the clock to force a tie with Iowa back in the early 50's. if you were old enough then you might understand my hatred.

Wow 70 years of hate ummm ok

We’re you sitting in the stands that day?

I personally don’t understand why they don’t just simply kick Purdue to the other side and and USC,UCLA to the west!
This is exactly what I've been thinking. It's simple as the Illinois/Indiana border would be the dividing line geographically.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I've said it all along and let's see if it shakes down this way but the B1G is heading to a 24 team conference. (4 divisions of 6 teams per division) Something like this:

West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal
Midwest: Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Great Lakes: Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Notre Dame
East: Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson

I've said it all along and let's see if it shakes down this way but the B1G is heading to a 24 team conference. (4 divisions of 6 teams per division) Something like this:

Nah, I think 20 is the absolute limit for any "conference" while maintaining rivalries and developing a sense of familiarity among members. I've already laid out how the BigTen would look in a perfect post-realignment world HERE 😉👍

Suffice it to say, Nub has to go ...they don't fit ...they don't belong ...they don't meet the standards. The Big 12 was a perfect home for them, especially when they ruled the North Division and had no real competition. Unfortunately, even they aren't stupid enough to file for a divorce and the B1G isn't going to kick anyone out.

I am warming up to the idea of 20 teams with four divisions. This would give 4 division games, followed by 4 cross over games. Followed by a semifinal and championship game.
I think they would need to go to 9 conference games if there are 20 teams ...play the four in your "pod" every year and then five more from one of the other "pods"; rotating pods every three years...where you wouldn't go more then two years not playing a school.

I am not all for conferences falling apart. If the PAC does fall apart there will be zero power conferences west of the great plains. To be upfront I am a Penn State fan and when they joined the BIG back in the 90's I did not get it. I thought that it was not a good fit and that PSU was much more inline with Pitt, Syracuse , WVU , Miami, FSU. Now the BIG has been good for PSU overall but in saying that USC and UCLA do not fit at all in the BIG

Nah, I think 20 is the absolute limit for any "conference" while maintaining rivalries and developing a sense of familiarity among members. I've already laid out how the BigTen would look in a perfect post-realignment world HERE 😉👍

Suffice it to say, Nub has to go ...they don't fit ...they don't belong ...they don't meet the standards. The Big 12 was a perfect home for them, especially when they ruled the North Division and had no real competition. Unfortunately, even they aren't stupid enough to file for a divorce and the B1G isn't going to kick anyone out.
Dude, the Big Ten is not kicking anyone out.

No way would they be like that. Your Great Lakes is way too heavy. Like way way.

Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Dude, the Big Ten is not kicking anyone out.
Who said they would? Certainly not me...

• Haha

I would hate like hell to be in that Great Lakes div

In a perfect world kick Nub out and bring Cal in, then match up the core rivalries into pods...

IllinoisMichiganCaliforniaIndiana
IowaMichigan StateNotre DameOregon
MinnesotaOhio StateStanfordPurdue
NorthwesternPenn StateUCLARutgers
WisconsinMarylandUSCWashington

9 conference games per year; four from your pod every year and rotating from the other three pods.

Home-and-Away model only for those teams in your pod.

Here's an alternate version if the ACC implodes early and ND still remains IND...

IllinoisIndianaNebraskaMaryland
IowaMichiganOregonNorth Carolina
MinnesotaMichigan StateUCLAPenn State
NorthwesternOhio StateUSCRutgers
WisconsinPurdueWashingtonVirginia

Here's alternate #2 should ND decide to join before ACC implodes:

IndianaIllinoisNotre DameMaryland
IowaMichiganPurdueOregon
MinnesotaMichigan StateStanfordPenn State
NebraskaNorthwesternUCLARutgers
WisconsinOhio StateUSCWashington

Last edited:
Reactions: bowlhawk

Clemson will join SEC obviously, but I’ve heard Miami and VT are both mutually interested in the B10. We wouldn’t be able to get both Cal and Stanford though, ND has to have a seat. Still wondering if Maryland/ Rutgers were good additions 🥸

Divisions may need some teams shuffled

Will it be Clemson or GA Tech???

B1G = 24 teams
SEC = 24 teams

NFL format
Playoffs within each conference
Conference winners in National Championship

Divisions may need some teams shuffled

Will it be Clemson or GA Tech???

B1G = 24 teams
SEC = 24 teams

NFL format
Playoffs within each conference
Conference winners in National Championship
Kirk Herbstreit has mentioned on multiple occasions that college football is heading to an nfl style SEC/ B1G two super conference format. Basically every other team not in those two conferences will be irrelevant. I remember him saying each conference could be well over 20 teams by the time it’s all said and done with

I think that IF the ACC blows up the BIG will go after UNC, UVA, FSU(Applying for AAU Status) and Clemson. Clemson will not expand the SEC footprint and to be honest I think Clemson wants to Jump into the BIG anyway for $$$$$$$ reasons. The SEC will go after VTECH , NC State for sure as it will expand the SEC footprint North. After that not sure, perhaps Duke just off of name(everyone knows who Duke is). The schools that they might target past those schools are already in SEC TV markets (Louisville, Miami, GTech,). And I can not see them going further North to grab a Pitt per say. So who knows

• Haha
that would put the B1G at 18 teams

how many do you think the B1G eventually gets to? 20?

Or will 18 be it...for now.... ??
The more I think about it, and the absolute hell that it's going to cause with scheduling, the more I know just how idiotic all this realignment really is.

All these morons are making moves with football money in mind, not understanding the difficulties it WILL cause for every other sport.........................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT