ADVERTISEMENT

Recommend a tv

As someone who travels for work, I get to try out lots of TVs in hotel rooms. I think you can't go wrong with an LG (which we also have in the family room here at Tradition Manor).
Bought a 70" LG about a year ago. Moved my 55" to the spare bedroom it is a Vizio. Both great TV's. But they need sound bars.

LG is the best TV you can buy imo. I bought a 65 inch LG OLED UHD TV 3 years ago and it is fantastic. I have had a Vizio and I enjoyed it but the picture is not as good imo. But if you Like American made then Vizio is the way to go.

Reactions: Speedway1
Can any of those soundbars output to an actual subwoofer?

I mean, if you're watching an action flick, you wanna feel the lows....

Yes quite a few of them do. I bought a wireless surround system that only needs a Sonos Playbase, two Sonos Ones and a Sonos subwoofer. It sounds fantastic.

Not trashing the company as a whole, but I have had better luck with Wal-Mart specials (Element) than any Sony. LG is vastly superior to Sony. I love my LG. Sonys have always crapped out too soon and are way overpriced.

Given how quickly the technology changes, I don't think I'll ever spend a ton of money on a TV again. But I suppose that makes me a poor here.

I'd go for the Curtis Mathes Stereo Combo. Dad came home in 1966 with one for the Orioles-Dodgers World Series games...
jja7.JPG

Dealer even threw in an Ink Spots album for the stereo...
InkSpots-220.jpg

Yeah, we were wealthy, just not HROT wealthy... ;)

I have a similar model, it is getting more difficult to find tubes when one burns out but I found a supplier in NJ who hooks me up.

It doesnt really matter anymore imo.

You can get a 60 for under $300 with a bunch of different brands. Best brand imo is still Samsung but not good enough to pay double since they are all made similar parts now.

I got a nice Hitachi projector in 1080 and 3D that I can move all over the house and outside for $400- 150+ inches

Uh, I really don’t know. It’s incredible how much the prices have dropped since I bought my first plasma. I think I spent over 2k on a 50” 1080p Panasonic way back when.

Yeah I spent like 2500 for a 50 inch Panasonic that was only 720 P back in 2006 or so. Pretty much the same for all technology. Right now the OLED TVs are super expensive and they will inevitably come down.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I used to be really loyal to Samsung, but this last TV I got was a Sony and it's been really great. If I got a new TV today, I'd probably get this one, which is currently on sale:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-6...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331595.p?skuId=6331595

I have also switched to Sony my last couple TVs. While my Samsung’s are still going strong my main two TVs are Sony 4k that run Android TV. That OS is not perfect but it is a pretty good user experience.

It doesnt really matter anymore imo.

You can get a 60 for under $300 with a bunch of different brands. Best brand imo is still Samsung but not good enough to pay double since they are all made similar parts now.

I got a nice Hitachi projector in 1080 and 3D that I can move all over the house and outside for $400- 150+ inches

You can have 2 TVs with all the same parts, and fundamental display hardware, but one of those two uses a more sophisticated image processing algorithm for better motion smoothing, better blacks contrasts, etc. And they'll upcharge for the higher-end software, which can be a substantially better picture quality.

Projectors are great for some apps (I used to have one), but not so great for regular daytime viewing. I'd go back to a projector if/when I refinish my basement area and set up a bar down there....

Reactions: hexumhawk
Didnt read all the comments but if I were buying a TV today I would NOT buy another Samsung. We have had nothing but issues with several of our samsung electronics (washer/dryer/microwave/tv). The TV itself has a mind of its own and will change channel or apps on its own with the remote sitting on the coffee table. So either it sucks more dick then OPs mom or our house is haunted.

My soundbars both have subs. If you are a high end audio guy the sound bar likely won’t get it done for you but I am using them in the interim while I decide if I want an atmos system in my current house. I am happy with the results. I have a Sony Atmos soundbar on my main basement tv via hdmi, and a Samsung bar on another set using the optical connection.

My soundbars both have subs. If you are a high end audio guy the sound bar likely won’t get it done for you but I am using them in the interim while I decide if I want an atmos system in my current house. I am happy with the results. I have a Sony Atmos soundbar on my main basement tv via hdmi, and a Samsung bar on another set using the optical connection.

I agree; they're an 'in between' option vs. real speakers.
Upsides are that they'll blow away the sound quality built into the TV, they use a lot less power than an actual stereo/speaker setup, and they take up a lot less space than stereo/speakers.

So, for many apps, they're a great option.

I just checked the price for the Sony Atmos soundbar and it is $1,500

I bought an amazons choice soundbar for like $100 and it does the job. Is the That soundbar really worth that much?

I’m looking to get a new tv. The last time I was looking for TV’s the brand to get was Panasonic. I don’t need anything huge...maybe 60”. What brand do you recommend? Any other features I need?
Friends who are very picky used to swear by Samsung. This year, upgrading their main TV, they went for Sony. They are convinced Sony has regained the lead - unless maybe you plan to spring for OLED, which they did not consider.

Having seen their TV, I think they made a good choice. Much better shadow detail than my cheapo TV (as you would expect). And the colors are really vibrant without getting fake-looking.

The one they chose was either top of the LCD line or 1 model down, I forget which.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I just checked the price for the Sony Atmos soundbar and it is $1,500

I bought an amazons choice soundbar for like $100 and it does the job. Is the That soundbar really worth that much?

Mine was like $600 including sub. It’s definitely worth that. Obviously don’t spend the money on Atmos unless you have Atmos content. It’s pretty awesome for movies and Xbox.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I would not recommend the Vizio P-series right now, having recently bought the 2018 model. The picture can be the best bang for the buck out there, but they've got some problems, quality control and otherwise. I can't say I'm really happy with the purchase. I'm living with some of the problems, hopefully until I can have my Squaretrade warranty replace it once the 2018 model has cycled out of the system.

At it's best, the picture can be great, but there are a lot of issues.

At the best budget, you've got the Vizio P series and the TCL Roku 6-series. I'd probably go with the TCL and save a couple hundred if I was doing it again, but that model has it's own share of issues. But those are the lowest priced "good" TVs. Anything lower than those you're making some real sacrifices, so at that point you might as well go as cheap as you can find, it's still going to look "ok".

If budget wasn't an issue, I'd go LG or Sony OLED. In between the Vizio P/TCL 6 and the OLED is a pretty big gap, I'd probably go with a Sony 900+ in that in between space.

I really don't think I'd go Samsung at any of their price points right now. I think there's a better TV at all the price points they offer. I wouldn't consider any LG that wasn't their OLED.

So for a 65" I would go...

<$800 - Doesn't matter really, maybe a Vizio M

$800 - 1000 - Vizio P series or TCL 6 series, be prepared to return as many times as necessary until you get a good one

$1300-2000 - Sony 900, 950 etc

$2500+ - Sony or LG OLED

Here is a great link...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

I have also switched to Sony my last couple TVs. While my Samsung’s are still going strong my main two TVs are Sony 4k that run Android TV. That OS is not perfect but it is a pretty good user experience.

I miss the Android TV platform on my Sony for sure.

I'm a Samsung guy but I would also consider LG. My father in law has a great Sony set but he seems to think the picture is better on my living room Samsung.

I have a 65" 4K Samsung in my living room and a 55" Samsung in the master bedroom. We have a 40" LG in our kids playroom. All 3 have been great sets. Can't go wrong with Samsung or LG.

I recently purchased a couple of new TV's. First brought home a 50" Vizio and hated the Chromecast interface. Took it back and bought a 50" TCL Roku TV, love it. Liked it so much went and bought a second one to hang in the garage. The interface on a Roku TV is so much easier to deal with and the picture quality is negligible to discern with the naked eye.

As far as I am concerned, TV's these days are made to last about 7-8 years before something goes out on them. Get a cheap one for about $500 or less and turn them over every few years. The picture quality on these cheap TV's is just fine.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I'm a Samsung guy but I would also consider LG. My father in law has a great Sony set but he seems to think the picture is better on my living room Samsung.

I have a 65" 4K Samsung in my living room and a 55" Samsung in the master bedroom. We have a 40" LG in our kids playroom. All 3 have been great sets. Can't go wrong with Samsung or LG.

I think Samsung is hit or miss. I have a 46 inch 2015 Samsung that I use to use but I wasn’t the biggest fan. My BiL has a 55” 2017 Samsung and it is good imo. If I was in the market for a new tv I would go LG or Sony

The picture quality on these cheap TV's is just fine.

That is of course, totally subjective. It depends on the person. I would not be satisfied with a $300 TV in my home theater room. But in my upstairs, just for casual watching while doing other things or whatever, I got a pretty cheap one and it is fine.

But if you're not hard-core into picture quality, then yeah it's easy to spend a lot more than you need. If you're not running any 4K content, if you don't know what HDR and Dolby Vision are, etc...you can just get whatever.

It drives me crazy that my father got rid of his 60" plasma for a Samsung 4K TV that he just plugs his same DirectTV box in. Because he "wanted something better". He doesn't have 4k, can't use any smart settings, kept it on the store-set picture settings...there was absolutely no reason to get rid of a plasma TV whose picture was at least 50% better than his new TV for his usage.

I would not recommend the Vizio P-series right now, having recently bought the 2018 model. The picture can be the best bang for the buck out there, but they've got some problems, quality control and otherwise. I can't say I'm really happy with the purchase. I'm living with some of the problems, hopefully until I can have my Squaretrade warranty replace it once the 2018 model has cycled out of the system.

At it's best, the picture can be great, but there are a lot of issues.

At the best budget, you've got the Vizio P series and the TCL Roku 6-series. I'd probably go with the TCL and save a couple hundred if I was doing it again, but that model has it's own share of issues. But those are the lowest priced "good" TVs. Anything lower than those you're making some real sacrifices, so at that point you might as well go as cheap as you can find, it's still going to look "ok".

If budget wasn't an issue, I'd go LG or Sony OLED. In between the Vizio P/TCL 6 and the OLED is a pretty big gap, I'd probably go with a Sony 900+ in that in between space.

I really don't think I'd go Samsung at any of their price points right now. I think there's a better TV at all the price points they offer. I wouldn't consider any LG that wasn't their OLED.

So for a 65" I would go...

<$800 - Doesn't matter really, maybe a Vizio M

$800 - 1000 - Vizio P series or TCL 6 series, be prepared to return as many times as necessary until you get a good one

$1300-2000 - Sony 900, 950 etc

$2500+ - Sony or LG OLED

Here is a great link...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Well, this thread got me looking at TVs again, which I absolutely SHOULD NOT be doing right now. Nonetheless, it looks like there is another contender at the low end of "good".

The Hisense H9F. Android operating system, and it looks like it's better than TCL 6 series, better than the Vizio P-Series 2018, and close to, maybe better, than the Vizio P Series Quantum 2019. For about $900.

I haven't read through the owner threads on the forums to see if there are quality control issues on this particular model, and there almost always are at this price point. But the Hisense H9F looks like an excellent option at the low end. If I could, I would probably trade my 2018 P-series for it straight up, just for the Android operating system.

Hopefully in a year I can get a warranty exchange and get either that Hisense or a 2019 Vizio Quantum, even if I have to pay a few hundred bucks difference.

Sony is all I buy anymore...
Yeah, but you need to be careful about which Sony. A few months ago, I initially bought a TCL 6 Series. As often happens, it arrived with a cracked screen and then went out of stock. I ended up replacing it with a Sony X850F that I got cheap on an Amazon Prime Day deal. I love many things about the Sony, but its black levels are horrific, and the fact that it is edge-lit leads to bad blooming issues around the edge of the screen in dark scenes or graphics. These faults really detract from what is otherwise a nice TV. I hear the 900F, while more expensive, has none of these problems and is a great TV.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Yeah, but you need to be careful about which Sony. A few months ago, I initially bought a TCL 6 Series. As often happens, it arrived with a cracked screen and then went out of stock. I ended up replacing it with a Sony X850F that I got cheap on an Amazon Prime Day deal. I love many things about the Sony, but its black levels are horrific, and the fact that it is edge-lit leads to bad blooming issues around the edge of the screen in dark scenes or graphics. These faults really detract from what is otherwise a nice TV. I hear the 900F, while more expensive, has none of these problems and is a great TV.

That's exactly right, don't go lower than 900F in a Sony, which I also think is a great TV. The 900f is a solid step up (in my opinion) from the Vizio/TCL/Hisense, but those TVs are significantly better than the next lower level Sony.

The 850 at the regular price of around $1000 is significantly worse and more expensive than the Vizio/TCL/Hisense. I would grab a $500 whatever, maybe a Vizio E-series before, before an 850. At standard price, it's arguably one of the worst deals on TVs out there.

If you are looking at Sony why would you consider the cheap models?,... actually my most recent purchase was a 900...

Reactions: Joes Place
If you are looking at Sony why would you consider the cheap models?,... actually my most recent purchase was a 900...

I think because if you've got $1000 to spend on a TV, it's reasonable to think that at that price point if you've got a choice between Sony, Vizio, TLC and Hisense, a person would think "Well, Sony has got to be better, right?" But it's significantly worse.

But it's numbered and positioned and priced such that it's like "just a half-step down from 900" when it's a pretty significant dropoff. It's not like it's priced at $500, it's priced where it's reasonable to get the lower end of a "good" tv, not something equivalent with $500 Walmart sets.

In addition, 4-5 years ago, the 850C level WAS a very, very solid television. Not the best, but very respectable at the time it was released

So Sony downgraded the 850 model between years C and F, and inserted the 900 series close to where the C series was.

None of that is particularly treacherous or anything, but it's the only level that I'm aware of that Sony is radically mis-positioning their offering. The 900 levels and above...they're not cheap, but they're properly positioned. So I don't think there's anything that wacky about expecting more from Sony's $1000 price point offering than what they give you.

Reactions: Rifler
I think because if you've got $1000 to spend on a TV, it's reasonable to think that at that price point if you've got a choice between Sony, Vizio, TLC and Hisense, a person would think "Well, Sony has got to be better, right?" But it's significantly worse.

But it's numbered and positioned and priced such that it's like "just a half-step down from 900" when it's a pretty significant dropoff. It's not like it's priced at $500, it's priced where it's reasonable to get the lower end of a "good" tv, not something equivalent with $500 Walmart sets.

In addition, 4-5 years ago, the 850C level WAS a very, very solid television. Not the best, but very respectable at the time it was released

So Sony downgraded the 850 model between years C and F, and inserted the 900 series close to where the C series was.

None of that is particularly treacherous or anything, but it's the only level that I'm aware of that Sony is radically mis-positioning their offering. The 900 levels and above...they're not cheap, but they're properly positioned. So I don't think there's anything that wacky about expecting more from Sony's $1000 price point offering than what they give you.

You seem to know what you are talking about and as I have said, I watch Hawkeye sports and that’s basically it. If I was going to spend between 4-700 bucks, what would you recommend?

Timely, my living room TV just went out. I need a 50" recommendation. I'm finding a lot of models start at 55" these days. I really like my 65" TCL, but the 6 series starts at 55". It also seems like there are a lot of options $400 and below and then very little until you get to about $800. I find that odd.

I really care about picture quality, how it handles reflections/sun, and a good smart tv interface. Can I buy a $400 tv or do I need a $1000 tv? The people that sound like they actually know what they are talking about in this thread, do you have any recommendations?

You seem to know what you are talking about and as I have said, I watch Hawkeye sports and that’s basically it. If I was going to spend between 4-700 bucks, what would you recommend?

Assuming you're looking at 65", I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I would focus on these:

Vizio M65-F0 $699
Vizio E65-F0 $599

Those are going to be the best motion handling in that range for sports.

But what I would really do is jump up to the TCL 6 series:

TCL 65R617 $750

Or wait and see if it gets under $700 by Christmas but they're popular and can be hard to buy when they're on a deal. That's a legit good TV, and will shine pretty well on movies too. And it's got the Roku operating system if that matters. That's great, but doesn't mater too much if you're hooking up a Apple TV or Fire Tv that you prefer.

Under that Vizio E-Series at $600, you can get $400-500 65" TVs, but they really don't get rated, in that range I would probably look for a cheaper Hisense or something with a Roku operating system if there is one, or just pick one with a bezel aesthetic you like or something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT