ADVERTISEMENT

TV shopping

Twoooooooo

HR All-State
Mar 2, 2013
Ok, I need help looking for a couple of new tv’s as I am starting to get down to the finish side of my personal remodel project. I do know I want to stay with Samsung as I have good luck and like the quality for price. Looking at 65-75” on size. I know the wife has said she wants the “frame” one but those seem ridiculous in price. Board lurkers what you got🤷🏽‍♂️

Thread isn't what I was expecting. Kinda disappointed.

200.gif

TVs are so cheap now, it's amazing how they just continue to fall in price as long as you don't need the latest or greatest technology right away. I used to invest a lot of time researching TVs and price shopping around in the 1980s and 1990s because they could cost some serious money back then. Now they're essentially disposable, I do still like to see the displays and picture quality with my own eyes before purchasing, but that's getting harder and harder to do as well. The last TV I purchased was 70" and I think that's the limit for the room we watch TV in. Anything bigger would seem absurd in size.

Kind of depends on your budget. Pretty much your standard "good tv" right now is going to be the Sony Bravia X90L. Which will prob run you around $1200.

You can find good things on a budget, but you're specs won't be as good, and for all we know, you may not notice. On the flip side you can always spend money and go up steps in quality. But that's prob the tv I'd start at.

I do still like to see the displays and picture quality with my own eyes before purchasing, but that's getting harder and harder to do as well.
Now that so many tvs run off store wifi, it really is hard to get a good gauge on tv quality. Also depends on how the tv has the settings adjusted.

You can be looking at tv 1 at a store and it looks like shit, but tv 2 looks great. Then you go to another store and tv 1 looks great and tv 2 looks like shit.

Kind of depends on your budget. Pretty much your standard "good tv" right now is going to be the Sony Bravia X90L. Which will prob run you around $1200.

You can find good things on a budget, but you're specs won't be as good, and for all we know, you may not notice. On the flip side you can always spend money and go up steps in quality. But that's prob the tv I'd start at.
Budget on the bigger tv would say 1200 would be the high end also looking at a 55 for about 500 that is going in a bedroom

Budget on the bigger tv would say 1200 would be the high end also looking at a 55 for about 500 that is going in a bedroom
55" for $500 will find you some decent things. I also prob wouldn't go too expensive on a bedroom tv bc you won't likely be spending too much time there.

You may be able to find a decent TCL. Not sure what people are saying about this year's models, but the last couple years have gotten decent reviews.

i would just drive down to costco and talk to their tv guy. added bonus is their TVs (not sure if this applies to all models) come with 4-5 years warranty if you buy with citi cc.
This. Costco has a Samsung 75” to 85” 4K QHD LED for around $1k at their stores. I’ve got all (6 in total) Samsung in my house with the exception of two of three TV’s at my bar so I can watch three different events at once which is great today through Sunday as well as the rest of the year when there are multiple sporting events on that I want to watch at once. Love it!

OP, if your area is large enough, you could create a wall tv collage to watch one event with multiple tvs in a tight formation or multiple things with those four to six tv’s. Go big or go home!

I appreciate your insight. I’m good only watching one event at a time. Like today wrestling will be on until the session is and I may after, watch BB if nothing else intrigues me. The wall I am putting the big tv will just be one as it is a feature wall. I am a remodeler/finish carpenter by trade and the amount of detail that will go around that wall would be killed if I put more than 1 tv on it

Reactions: millah_22
If you have a gaming system, I would go with a 120 hz screen. Look at Samsung S90C or S95C.

Reactions: millah_22
I am a remodeler/finish carpenter by trade

I have a carpentry question completely unrelated to the thread. I'm in the process of finishing new floating pantry shelves and one of the shelves overhangs the edge by maybe half an inch. What's the best way to shave that down? The overhanging part is 3/4" oak plywood. Normally I would just take it back out and cut it down with the saw but it was a #$##$ to get in there due to the width and I really don't want to have to rip it out just to trim it.

This is the basic design of the shelves (not my picture) with 3/4" plywood on top and 1/4" on the bottom of each shelf.

N3u9S.jpg

Basic TV tech breakdown.

Cheap TVs that work well for most people:

LED backlit with LCD screen
60hz refresh rate

Some of the higher end features that drive up price:

OLED screen (no backlight; OLED pixels produce light)
120hz refresh rate

You will see combinations of some of those features in higher end sets like still having LED backlighting and the LCD screen but they will get sophisticated with the backlighting to mimic OLED quality. The Samsung QLED sets for example.

For the cheaper sets, look for LED back lighting with local dimming vs anything that says edge lit.

Also, in my opinion don't put too much stock into the built in operating system. If you don't like the system you can always use a Roku 4k or Apple Tv 4k.

Reactions: BelemNole
This. Costco has a Samsung 75” to 85” 4K QHD LED for around $1k at their stores. I’ve got all (6 in total) Samsung in my house with the exception of two of three TV’s at my bar so I can watch three different events at once which is great today through Sunday as well as the rest of the year when there are multiple sporting events on that I want to watch at once. Love it!

OP, if your area is large enough, you could create a wall tv collage to watch one event with multiple tvs in a tight formation or multiple things with those four to six tv’s. Go big or go home!
I have 3 Samsung's in the house all from Costco too. 2 of them I wanted to have side by side on a side basement wall but I couldn't do it because the same remote would control them both no matter what I tried. So if I turned it on, both came on, wanted to change channel on one, they'd both change channel. Ended up just buying a different brand to hang next to the Samsung. Did you run into that issue with yours and have a workaround?

I had an aunt that was so addicted to QVC their tv had ghost images burned onto their screen where the boxes always were.

She left TV on 24/7 365. It’s all she watched. Evidently the sellers projected personalities that was a draw to some people.

Not even sure our provider has shopping channels. If they do I blocked them.

Ok, I need help looking for a couple of new tv’s as I am starting to get down to the finish side of my personal remodel project. I do know I want to stay with Samsung as I have good luck and like the quality for price. Looking at 65-75” on size. I know the wife has said she wants the “frame” one but those seem ridiculous in price. Board lurkers what you got🤷🏽‍♂️
I’d say wait until college classes are over. These college kids basically give stuff away when they are moving out. Especially if they are moving out of state.
I bought a nice 42 inch smart tv for the bedroom from a girl moving to Arizona for $25.
Plus as a bonus, she was logged into pretty much every tv app possible. Still occasionally using the YouTube tv app which appears to never log you out like every other app seems to do.

I have a carpentry question completely unrelated to the thread. I'm in the process of finishing new floating pantry shelves and one of the shelves overhangs the edge by maybe half an inch. What's the best way to shave that down? The overhanging part is 3/4" oak plywood. Normally I would just take it back out and cut it down with the saw but it was a #$##$ to get in there due to the width and I really don't want to have to rip it out just to trim it.

This is the basic design of the shelves (not my picture) with 3/4" plywood on top and 1/4" on the bottom of each shelf.

N3u9S.jpg
My suggestion although not what you want to hear is to take out and run it through the table saw again. I would imagine using the 3/4 oak is going to give a live edge that you will covering up with some sort of trim piece on the front of it🤷🏽‍♂️ if that is the case. You may try using a fine tool/oscillating tool to cut off what overhangs. If so, get a 1 1/2” wide cutoff blade and run across the oak and the sub wood(framing). Those tools have different speeds you can adjust accordingly but I would probably use between 4-6 on speed. I know oak sucks to cut as it’s such a hard wood but low and slow is the game on the fine tool especially on the finish side, let the blade do the work and not your man power😉. The trim piece you put on the front will help cover any digs or gouges into your finish product that really will only be seen if you get up to the shelf and look down on it. Hope that helps

• Love
Reactions: Flie

N3u9S.jpg
I’d say take your circular saw into the pantry then and cut it down to size in there if you don’t want to take it back out.

N3u9S.jpg
whittle it by hand with a small knife.

• Haha
Reactions: Twoooooooo and Flie
My suggestion although not what you want to hear is to take out and run it through the table saw again. I would imagine using the 3/4 oak is going to give a live edge that you will covering up with some sort of trim piece on the front of it🤷🏽‍♂️ if that is the case. You may try using a fine tool/oscillating tool to cut off what overhangs. If so, get a 1 1/2” wide cutoff blade and run across the oak and the sub wood(framing). Those tools have different speeds you can adjust accordingly but I would probably use between 4-6 on speed. I know oak sucks to cut as it’s such a hard wood but low and slow is the game on the fine tool especially on the finish side, let the blade do the work and not your man power😉. The trim piece you put on the front will help cover any digs or gouges into your finish product that really will only be seen if you get up to the shelf and look down on it. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info! That was a big help. For the trim, I'm cutting the same oak plywood into 3" strips to cover the front so the front of the shelves will look like the tops.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I'm looking at an ~85" for kids old bonus room. Going to turn it into a theater/bar for the wife and I.
I like the OLEDs...but not sure I want to pay the price for one that size.

Thanks for the info! That was a big help. For the trim, I'm cutting the same oak plywood into 3" strips to cover the front so the front of the shelves will look like the tops.
Your trim piece before putting them on, run a router over the edges with a 1/8” round over bit. If you don’t have a router you can also use a bastard file or sand paper. Sand paper I would use between 100-120 to round it over. It gives a subtle transition to the trim piece and eliminates 90* edges that tend to nick up when hit or bumped

• Love
Your trim piece before putting them on, run a router over the edges with a 1/8” round over bit. If you don’t have a router you can also use a bastard file or sand paper. Sand paper I would use between 100-120 to round it over. It gives a subtle transition to the trim piece and eliminates 90* edges that tend to nick up when hit or bumped

No router but I do have rasps and files. I will give that a shot.

Don’t use the rasp, either the file or sand paper will work better. Never been a fan of a rasp unless shaving down drywall

Bought this last summer for the living room, great TV. Everyone that has come over had complimented me on it. Can't beat it for the price. Probably the best TV I've ever owned.

SAMSUNG 75" Class CU8000B Crystal UHD 4K Smart Television UN75CU8000BXZA $800.​

Dropping in to say that I have bought 1 TV in my 46 years. A somewhat pricey Samsung, in 2009. It’s still going strong and I’m going to see how far I can ride it.

I bought an 85” TCL QLED for 1000. Entry level QLEd. Pleased with it thus far. Until the majority of the content we watch is 4K, spending a ton of money on a TV is stupid

What's your price limit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT