ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Strategy

If the next generation of Iowa wrestlers can maintain the top perch, we will all owe a big debt of gratitude to TJ Sebolt. I'm just an observer from afar, but it seems as though his club has been instrumental in closing the gap with PA in terms of high-end wrestling talent.
TJ pushes an attacking point scoring style and we like that here.

I
I usually don’t respond to dribble like this, but today I’ll share this: Eight years ago the exact same thing was said about another wrestler in our family. “He was overrated, he won’t do anything in college, he’s not beaten anyone important”. 3 NCAA titles, an Olympic medal, a couple world titles later….

It will always amaze me that people will bash kids they’ve never met and know nothing about, hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard That for whatever reason will form opinions that really have no basis. Maybe it’s a form of reverse psychology to push or navigate a decision one way or another. Who knows. Better yet, you cares? However, I will tell you this, your comment had been printed to be added to a board this kid maintains. You’re not the first, and I hope not the last to add fuel to his fire.
Never forget this simple truth, It’s Just Wrestling.
If every parent and fan were as well grounded and open to conversation this world would be a lot better place. Kudos to you.

Trust me. He's made the right choice. And it wasn't easy. Of that I can assure you. He suffered a couple losses today at Powerade. First time he has lost twice in the same day.....EVER. But it's days like today, for me, that solidifies the choice he will make. Everyone loses. That will NEVER change. However, what you learn, and what those losses stir in you should only drive you in your quest to become the best. But being the best right now, in HS doesn't matter. I believe his college choice will do nothing but get him to the exact point he needs to be to claim the ultimate prizes he is chasing.

Perfectly said. How you respond to loses is what matters. You can use them to get better or go the opposite direction. That's why the best coaches are often guys who hate to lose. They can't sit by and take losing in stride. Brands, Sanderson and Smith all hate to lose. A guy named Spencer Lee really hates to lose too.

Reactions: Gobblin
Borrowed this from other post, not sure if it includes currently committed but still in HS.

- below are the # of Top 5 recruits landed since 2015 (results may vary a little depending on choice of recruiting rankings):
8 - PSU, Ohio State
5 - Arizona State
4 - OKST
3 - Michigan, Minnesota
2 - Cornell, Iowa
1 - Iowa State, Lehigh, Missouri, Oklahoma, Penn, Stanford, Wisconsin

Regardless of his choice, I’ll still be right here. I’ve kinda enjoyed the banter. 😂. Well, most of it at least.
So your boy was a basketball player until he was 14 years old and he’s caught on to wrestling THIS quick?! Had already won state twice?

If I’m not mistaken about your son’s story, that’s INCREDIBLE!

So your boy was a basketball player until he was 14 years old and he’s caught on to wrestling THIS quick?! Had already won state twice?

If I’m not mistaken about your son’s story, that’s INCREDIBLE!
Nope. That one is not my son. I may have disowned him had he played basketball. 😂.
This one is mine:

Borrowed this from other post, not sure if it includes currently committed but still in HS.

- below are the # of Top 5 recruits landed since 2015 (results may vary a little depending on choice of recruiting rankings):
8 - PSU, Ohio State
5 - Arizona State
4 - OKST
3 - Michigan, Minnesota
2 - Cornell, Iowa
1 - Iowa State, Lehigh, Missouri, Oklahoma, Penn, Stanford, Wisconsin
If this isn’t counting current high schoolers, gotta add at least three more for Ohio State, two more for Minnesota and one more for Penn. I’m missing some for sure.

Reactions: Gobblin
And how exactly do you know we aren't going for those guys?

If you wanna talk about flaws in how we recruit or something like that, or why we're missing out on so many top recruits, that's a discussion I can understand. But if you think TnT don't pull hard for the top guys at all you're crazy.

That being said there are definitely certain guys that we have no interest in due to a stark difference in culture/attitude. Trying to go for any top p4p guys regardless of their questionable fit with our style of program is how you end up with wasted full rides of guys who transfer out or ruin the team/family culture that we've built with this past haul of recruits.
We've been out-gunned for top guys, which is el dub's point.

Since 2011, Iowa has had 5 individual NCAA champs winning 7 individual titles.

Penn State has had 15 champs and 25 individual titles.

We've also had only 2 multi-time champs during that span (Lee and McD). Penn State has had 7, including 4 3-timers.

We're always in the mix for the team race, but until 2020 we've lacked the studs (i.e., finalists) to win a team title. We've consistently had too many Murins and not enough Nolfs.

The fact is that Iowa is the defending champ and Penn State isn't. But it's fair to look at the numbers and ask how we can land more Ayalas and Kennedys and Jesurogas.

Trust me. He's made the right choice. And it wasn't easy. Of that I can assure you. He suffered a couple losses today at Powerade. First time he has lost twice in the same day.....EVER. But it's days like today, for me, that solidifies the choice he will make. Everyone loses. That will NEVER change. However, what you learn, and what those losses stir in you should only drive you in your quest to become the best. But being the best right now, in HS doesn't matter. I believe his college choice will do nothing but get him to the exact point he needs to be to claim the ultimate prizes he is chasing.
That was a heck of a tough bracket. Your boy took out my sons teammate in the Qtrs. Lots of good matches today and I think everone walked out of there a little tougher.

Recruiting the top 5 P4P guys each year isnt really a strategy. Its a wish list.

I am always looking at high level kids that make multiple weight jumps. Obviously thats not the strategy for a 125,133 recruit because you would never see that A Nico, Clark Ayala or Juesoroga are what they are but the kids like a Dake, JayBo, David Taylor, Miklus, Kemdawg, Kyven Gadsen, Kueter etc who jumped classes but still stayed elite. Think those guys have much more potential and dont run the risk of peaking too early in HS and hanging on. If your typically leaping 103-124-152-174 or 160-195-220-HWT then you are doing that with more than just being stronger than the other kid. These types have a higher peak in the college room.

Plus these types dont just see the same other top dudes for 4 years at the national tourneys so you get a better measure of them.

IMO ...Thats what Cael has been doing better than everyone. He gets that elite kid who is still growing into his paws,& shoulders and has another weight class or 2 jump in them. Combine that with a vision of what he wants his lineup to look like 2-3 years down the road and thats a hell of a recipe.

Thats why Kueter is pretty rare. He's basically a Marinelli who kept growing from his freshman year who is also a top athlete in 3 sports. This approach also has me excited about Riggens than previously. He didnt turn my head as a 103 freshman but as he has grown in size he keeps improving. Likewise a Naktgoboren turned my head early but IMO has leveled out a bit and has some warning signs to him. Glad ISU got him. He could be good in Ames but doesnt have the recruiting signs we should be looking for in middle to upperweight recruits..

Last edited:
Message For Coach Arnold:

I have been out of the college wrestling scene for quite some time so I did not know the full story behind your son/family's wrestling exploits. With that said, I assure you that should your son decide to go to Iowa City that he would receive the BEST coaching available.

Iron Doc

We've been out-gunned for top guys, which is el dub's point.

Since 2011, Iowa has had 5 individual NCAA champs winning 7 individual titles.

Penn State has had 15 champs and 25 individual titles.

We've also had only 2 multi-time champs during that span (Lee and McD). Penn State has had 7, including 4 3-timers.

We're always in the mix for the team race, but until 2020 we've lacked the studs (i.e., finalists) to win a team title. We've consistently had too many Murins and not enough Nolfs.

The fact is that Iowa is the defending champ and Penn State isn't. But it's fair to look at the numbers and ask how we can land more Ayalas and Kennedys and Jesurogas.
I get that, and if you wanna question why we're missing out on top recruits is one thing, but for people to act like the staff doesn't realize that we need more top p4p recruits and aren't going for the top p4p recruits is asinine.

I'll put the over under on national titles between Ayalas, Kennedy and Jesurgas at 4 and I think I would bet the under. National titles are hard to earn! I'll take Cales next 3 top recruits and say over under 5 and I may bet the over .Cael recruits better.

I'll put the over under on national titles between Ayalas, Kennedy and Jesurgas at 4 and I think I would bet the under. National titles are hard to earn! I'll take Cales next 3 top recruits and say over under 5 and I may bet the over .Cael recruits better.
Smells like a bet…so Howard, van ness and Bartlett? I like my start with the stellar year Bartlett had last year and this year looks like a round of 12’er. Or do you mean Carl’s next round of recruits because I’ll cherry pick my guys. Maybe we can throw in facundo but I think he’s a transfer portal waiting to happen. Name your price.

We've got holes, but so does Penn State. Even after hitting the transport portal hard, unseating a very good Beard, they still had to patch together 125 and have holes at 157 and 165 (and 149 at NCAAs, I suspect.

I don’t think a lot of guys understand the limitations that 9.9 scholarships impose. As fans we want our teams to land every top 10 P4P kid available. In reality a lot of times our teams don’t even make a lot of those kids a substantial financial offer.
And you probably believe in the tooth fairy and the weather man? With NIL there really isn't such a thing as a 9.9 scholarship limit. PS has proven that for years. I wish Iowa had such a sugar daddy as PS has...
Also, I hope most recruits can see how loyal Tom and Terry are to their recruits. Very seldom do they take top recruits just to go to the portal and recruit over them and screw them. You can find a few cases but in general they stick with their loyalty, not like PS..I think they have recruited three 125 lbs in the last 6 months. Way to go Cael.....He owes them nothing and the same for Iowa State when he jumped ship. Okay, big difference...

We've got holes, but so does Penn State. Even after hitting the transport portal hard, unseating a very good Beard, they still had to patch together 125 and have holes at 157 and 165 (and 149 at NCAAs, I suspect.
Bartlett just beat the #5 guy in the country in Kyle Parco, where he weighed in at under 143lbs. He’s wrestling up above his natural weight along ways, and with his length it’s a lot of size he’s lacking. I wouldn’t judge his career by his work at 149 just yet. Let him get to 141 next year and I think he’s gonna be a handful.

Last edited:
And you probably believe in the tooth fairy and the weather man? With NIL there really isn't such a thing as a 9.9 scholarship limit. PS has proven that for years. I wish Iowa had such a sugar daddy as PS has...
Also, I hope most recruits can see how loyal Tom and Terry are to their recruits. Very seldom do they take top recruits just to go to the portal and recruit over them and screw them. You can find a few cases but in general they stick with their loyalty, not like PS..I think they have recruited three 125 lbs in the last 6 months. Way to go Cael.....He owes them nothing and the same for Iowa State when he jumped ship. Okay, big difference...
Well I own a dirt business, so no the weather man and me don’t see eye to eye very often. The NIL just started this year and it is definitely going to make a huge difference in recruiting in my opinion.

If Caels recruiting was as dirty as he’s always accused of don’t you think one of the several kids he “recruited over” or “replaced” would spill the beans ?

Reactions: YoungGun07
Bartlett just beat the #5 guy in the country in Kyle Parco, where he weighed in at under 143lbs. He’s wrestling up above his natural weight along ways, and with his length it’s a lot of size he’s lacking. I wouldn’t judge his career by his work at 149 just yet. Let him get to 141 next year and I think he’s gonna be a handful.
I'd hope so, 141 looks to be weak sauce next year.

Reactions: Kidwicked
Well I own a dirt business, so no the weather man and me don’t see eye to eye very often. The NIL just started this year and it is definitely going to make a huge difference in recruiting in my opinion.

If Caels recruiting was as dirty as he’s always accused of don’t you think one of the several kids he “recruited over” or “replaced” would spill the beans ?
It's Carl over here......;)

That was a heck of a tough bracket. Your boy took out my sons teammate in the Qtrs. Lots of good matches today and I think everone walked out of there a little tougher.
no kidding. that 170 bracket was sick. was surprised to see mr arnold mention he lost twice because he doesn’t usually have bad days and then i saw he lost 2 utb matches to elite kids. wask has been primed for a breakout and he already had a ride outs match with welsh. coin flip went the other way today. any time you have 2 top 10 overall recruits wrestling each other in the consi semis, you know that bracket was nuts. he’ll be fine. i’m sure tom and terry will still be willing to give him a tryout if he’s interested 😉

I reckon Carl orders most of his recruits at the Dairy Barn down the street from the nervous hospital along with some French fried tators!!!

9FDAB721-4E46-4BC1-B7B2-A266168B2CC2.jpeg

D99D13C3-28C4-4914-8EFA-BB042B6C7BF9.jpeg

“Mmm-hmmmm…”

*** PS: The most off the rails I’ve ever been on The Pin Doctors was when I got on a Cael-Carl (from Sling Blade) meme kick during nationals last year… I regret NOTHING!!! 😆 Just a matter of time before I unleash more of those and anger a ton of people again!

I'd hope so, 141 looks to be weak sauce next year.
It’s definitely clearing out after this year. I’d bet the combined average age of the top 4 at 141 is the oldest of any weight class ever too. lol.

he did not weigh 143. he weighed in at 149.6 (lb allowance on day 2). the weigh in sheets are public.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT