ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting?

I spoke to Tom in early May. I believe he told me that Zach could have 2 years if he wanted to pursue it. I didn't press in for details. I am guessing medical but I don't know what year would have applied and i am guessing Zach would still have to submit the request for approval. And of course he would have to want to stay for the 7th year.
Seems to be the Iowa thing to do nowadays so why not.

I've not been keeping up on all the threads, and apologize if this has already been covered.

So AJ Ferrari is not coming to Iowa, and Anthony is now out as well. Do we still have Angelo coming? Would hurt us to lose Angelo, as he's the only top 10 p4p recruit we have coming.

He was specifically mentioned by Bo during his and Forrest's interview with Flo.
I was thinking he must be a friend of Bo and the interview confirmed it. Smart move, probably won’t cost us much to take a chance on him, and won’t hurt if a guy Bo has known since 2nd grade is a hawk.

Does this secure the 197 spot for a few years after Glazier?
I guess he will have to be on the 7 year plan since we have really fumbled the ball with 197 after recruiting Warner and 184 until just recently with Angelo. Not sure how well Zach will do in year 7 ? Guess this year may give us a clue.

It seems by your definition any voting / ranking conceived by humans that factors into the selection of championship partipants is suspect.

Since coaches' ranking can affect the selected 33 NCAA D1 wrestling participants, by your logic, it appears those championship are also slightly tainted.
At the time, PSU’s Title was awarded based on selected voters opinions, without head to head competition in a bracketed championship format, to dispute the opinion of the voters.

In wrestling the athletes get to prove the tainted coaches opinion was incorrect through head to head competition.

Your provocative statement isn’t worthy of debate.

In wrestling the athletes get to prove the tainted coaches opinion was incorrect

If they actually make the field of 33 in wrestling vs 64 vs 16 vs 8 vs 4 vs 2. That is my point. Save the sport where only conference or only tournament champions make the playoff or championship. Not sure which one that might be.

Again, there is no debate that it is only a matter of degree and the arbitrary setting of the field size.

Yes, I agree a larger field will be more inclusive and should reasonably be seen as more legitimate (or less tainted). This doesn't mean the smallest field of 2 is wholly illegitimate. The others' point that everyone knows at the beginning of the season how a champion might be decided isn't really debatable. Probably why rank choice voting with a larger field is worrisome to major political parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
At the time, PSU’s Title was awarded based on selected voters opinions, without head to head competition in a bracketed championship format, to dispute the opinion of the voters.

In wrestling the athletes get to prove the tainted coaches opinion was incorrect through head to head competition.

Your provocative statement isn’t worthy of debate.
This argument might be the dumbest I’ve seen on this sight.

If they actually make the field of 33 in wrestling vs 64 vs 16 vs 8 vs 4 vs 2. That is my point. Save the sport where only conference or only tournament champions make the playoff or championship. Not sure which one that might be.

Again, there is no debate that it is only a matter of degree and the arbitrary setting of the field size.

Yes, I agree a larger field will be more inclusive and should reasonably be seen as more legitimate (or less tainted). This doesn't mean the smallest field of 2 is wholly illegitimate. The others' point that everyone knows at the beginning of the season how a champion might be decided isn't really debatable. Probably why rank choice voting with a larger field is worrisome to major political parties.
The old way of determining a National Champion in Football vs. Wrestling completion to determine a champion, not politics, is my point.

I am crushed, sorry I blew up.
A champion being determined by vote versus competition is a dumb argument?
Yeah it is, it's an incredibly stupid argument that serves no purpose because it was not the system in place for over one hundred years. It's one of the dumbest strawmen I have ever seen. You work with the rules in place at the time, and yes those rules favored certain teams over others. PSU was the biggest program affected the most often since they were undefeated and untied in 1968,1969, 1973, and 1994.

No one is going to give up their titles because the old system seldom settled it on the field. Nor will the NCAA wipe out any officially awarded titles. So yeah, it's a very stupid argument.

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
Well any rankings are subjective...so...yeah.

I can't believe you compared voting on a football championship to rankings and thought you proved a point in your favor. That's an interesting strategy.
Careful. Your image as a confident intellectual who only condescends to our level ;) takes a hit with such insecurity over the unawarded title. We get it. Great team, likely champ, but denied a chance to prove it. Let it go. Get excited about the coming season, or Spencer putting an Olympic medal (I predict gold) on display at the new building. If it helps, respond with something clever to restore your shine. I’ll take no offense, you’ll feel better, and I’ll soon be too deep in a mountain forest to notice.
Ah, time to board.

This is basically me right now. Thanks for the entertainment, gents. LOL

Walk Away Action Movie GIF by My Spy

Careful. Your image as a confident intellectual who only condescends to our level ;) takes a hit with such insecurity over the unawarded title. We get it. Great team, likely champ, but denied a chance to prove it. Let it go. Get excited about the coming season, or Spencer putting an Olympic medal (I predict gold) on display at the new building. If it helps, respond with something clever to restore your shine. I’ll take no offense, you’ll feel better, and I’ll soon be too deep in a mountain forest to notice.
Ah, time to board.
Iowa football claims 5 national titles from back in the day. Confident individuals do not make such pathetic strawmen arguments. Point is you do not know who would win without playing the games, tournaments, or matches.

If the favorite always won we would not have articles like these:

I can add even more, 1969 Mets, 1990 Reds also come to mind. To think A wrestling tournament that didn't occur would automatically go to the favorite is silly. To think the favorite would be a heavy favorite to win isn't.

However if we go to actual tournament results you will grasp why many PSU faithful believe they could win.

This video is from 2023, so we could say 11 years and redo the numbers. PSU has put 48 wrestlers in the finals, winning 36. Iowa has put 16 in the finals and won 6. Is it cray to think PSU maybe would over perform Iowa might under perform, injuries might affect the favorite? Or PSU? Not at all. So me thinking PSU maybe wins it 20%-40% of time if we could somehow hold the tourney 10,000 times isn't crazy. Iowa is still a solid favorite and I still think they probably win.

Reactions: vhsalum
It really is ok to just call 2020 what it is - a lost year.

Iowa was the HEAVY favorite to win.

PSU would have had a puncher's chance considering their consistent success at putting it in the finals.

We do not need to call ourselves the 2020 national champs. That's just stupid. No one competed in the tournament.

PSU would have had a puncher's chance considering their consistent success at putting it in the finals.

We do not need to call ourselves the 2020 national champs. That's just stupid. No one competed in the tournament.
Totally agree, I think Iowa was a big favorite and most likely would win. What bugs me about that year is how many seniors didn't have a chance to win individual titles. That's the biggest shame imo.

I think it's best to say that Iowa was the best team in 2020. Can't hang a banner without the tournament, but that team has every right to say they proved they were the best based on the events that were wrestled.

I think it's best to say that Iowa was the best team in 2020. Can't hang a banner without the tournament, but that team has every right to say they proved they were the best based on the events that were wrestled.

Totally fair. And it sucks they didn't get the chance to prove it. And those seniors got absolutely hosed. It would have been just as easy for the NCAA to grant those seniors another year.

Totally fair. And it sucks they didn't get the chance to prove it. And those seniors got absolutely hosed. It would have been just as easy for the NCAA to grant those seniors another year.
I think by being 2020 Big Ten Champions proved all that needed to be proved that year.

Officially open season on the Columbia roster.

Pritz was the hot assistant coach 10 years ago. Surprising he’s now just becoming a head coach.
Yeah he and Perry's name seemed to be speculated as the top candidate for head coach positions for a period then seemed to cool off.

Will be interesting to see how he does as the main guy.

Reactions: el dub
No, there is no key or point. Every single NCAA competition has voting to determine competitors. Including wrestling.
When everyone knows the rules and agrees to them, that is how things get done. It's like looking at old football videos and trying to argue a different outcome for an obvious bad call prior to the use if replay.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
No, there is no key or point. Every single NCAA competition has voting to determine competitors. Including wrestling.
I can't believe this same ground is being covered again.

A championship with a larger field can be seen as having greater competitive basis than one with an order of magnitude fewer participants (as a % of total participants).

When all rules are known as to how a championship is earned and those rules are followed, then the championship is legitimate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT