ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

I can’t predict the future, so who knows if he ends up being our coach 3 years from now. I don’t see that being completely out of the realm of possibilities. He’s not meeting with Beth in the coming months, and Tom will be the head coach next year.
I never advocated TB being fired or replaced. What I really want is a middle/upper weight technician on the staff. Somebody that will teach much more than maul and brawl.

i got to have dinner with a wrestling donor over the weekend. He of course didnt give me anything earth shattering but he did say that the boosters were not upset with TnT at all and no talks with other coaches are even being considered. Said they are working on building relationships back up. Said Brands and Carew's (BG) were going to sit down and discuss upcoming recruits. Nothing said about changes to the assistants either or the recruiting style they use. They did say Tom wants guys that want to be at Iowa.

no inside information of course but the BG thing was interesting. Sounds like maybe there was some bad blood at one time with those two families but i dint ask any questions because most of the conversation was not with me I was just listening in.

Last edited:
i got to have dinner with a big wrestling donor over the weekend. He of course didnt give me anything earth shattering but he did say that the boosters were not upset with TnT at all and no talks with other coaches are even being considered. Said they are working on building relationships back up. Said Brands and Carew's (BG) were going to sit down and discuss upcoming recruits. No changes to the assistants either or the recruiting style they use. Tom wants guys that want to be at Iowa.

no inside information of course but the BG thing was interesting. Sounds like maybe there was some bad blood at one time with those two families but i dint ask any questions because most of the conversation was not with me I was just listening in.
The thing Tom may need to understand that sometimes you have to convince a guy that he wants to be at Iowa. If you show na interest in the guy and make him feel wanted, that tends to sway their opinion. I know a lot of high school kids who think they know what they want, but in actuality, they have no idea.

i got to have dinner with a big wrestling donor over the weekend. He of course didnt give me anything earth shattering but he did say that the boosters were not upset with TnT at all and no talks with other coaches are even being considered. Said they are working on building relationships back up. Said Brands and Carew's (BG) were going to sit down and discuss upcoming recruits. No changes to the assistants either or the recruiting style they use. Tom wants guys that want to be at Iowa.

Thanks for sharing.

So basically no changes. Exciting times ahead. “Tom wants guys that want to be at Iowa” bothers me the most because it can be interpreted in many different ways, and mostly bad. As a head coach, if you want to be good you have to be able to sell your program to athletes. You have to have salesmen skills. It’s your job to make an athlete want to come to your school. If you’re solely or mainly relying on a kids desire to come to Iowa, you’re incompetent.

He better get a lot better at convincing potential recruits that they want to be at Iowa because if our pool is limited to guys who want to be at Iowa up front it's going to be a rough go.

Thanks for ruining my day...

Le sigh.

Not encouraging if I’m being honest.

I feel like I'm in a nightmare that I cannot wake up from--simply depressing. RIP Iowa Wrestling

200.gif

I hope you are right about Brands and Carew. A good relationship there is healthy for Iowa Wrestling. It’s also good for carew’s. Needs to happen

Reactions: Hawkgma

anything on training/technique, etc ?

Reactions: Hawkgma
The thing Tom may need to understand that sometimes you have to convince a guy that he wants to be at Iowa. If you show na interest in the guy and make him feel wanted, that tends to sway their opinion. I know a lot of high school kids who think they know what they want, but in actuality, they have no idea.
If this is true we are doomed. Anyone can see this method is not working. Why can’t Tom? Is he just holding out hope and blind faith that this method will beat Penn State? These are all highly motivated wrestlers looking to be the best. You have to convince them you are the best for them. If everyone is talking to the hot girls, they are typically not going to shun them for the guy who won’t talk to them. Like dating—if you don’t try to convince the ones you want and instead only date the ones that no one is convincing, you will get the scraps. If this is really Tom’s attitude and nothing is going to change, we might as well fire him now instead of waiting a couple of years. If this is true, he is incapable of the necessary change

If this is true we are doomed. Anyone can see this method is not working. Why can’t Tom? Is he just holding out hope and blind faith that this method will beat Penn State? These are all highly motivated wrestlers looking to be the best. You have to convince them you are the best for them. If everyone is talking to the hot girls, they are typically not going to shun them for the guy who won’t talk to them. Like dating—if you don’t try to convince the ones you want and instead only date the ones that no one is convincing, you will get the scraps. If this is really Tom’s attitude and nothing is going to change, we might as well fire him now instead of waiting a couple of years. If this is true, he is incapable of the necessary change

there is simply too much truth in this post.

i will add that there are too many people out there spinning the narrative about iowa and if they don’t make any efforts to counter that and build relationships with recruits then we are out of the running before it the race even begins.

the reality is despite all our gripes with TnT iowa has been consistently a top 2-3 program over the brands tenure. now over the last couple years the narrative has turned dramatically to the point where ultra blue chip recruits at 125/133/141 aren’t even really considering us. make that make sense because we have been the best lightweight program in the nation by most metrics.

i got to have dinner with a big wrestling donor over the weekend. He of course didnt give me anything earth shattering but he did say that the boosters were not upset with TnT at all and no talks with other coaches are even being considered. Said they are working on building relationships back up. Said Brands and Carew's (BG) were going to sit down and discuss upcoming recruits. Nothing said about changes to the assistants either or the recruiting style they use. They did say Tom wants guys that want to be at Iowa.

This Is Fine GIF

I didn’t mean for it to sound gloom and doom. I was not a big part of the conversation so maybe more was said. This group sounded like they were very optimistic about what’s going to happen over the next couple of years though.
anything on training/technique, etc ?
I didn’t ask. I was way out of my league with the group I was lucky enough to have dinner with.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
I didn’t mean for it to sound gloom and doom. I was not a big part of the conversation so maybe more was said. This group sounded like they were very optimistic about what’s going to happen over the next couple of years though.

I didn’t ask. I was way out of my league with the group I was lucky enough to have dinner with.

I mean. That's not your fault. It's just that the information you relayed IS doom and gloom. No changes to staff, no changes to recruiting philosophy.

Reactions: Hawkgma and eb05
I mean. That's not your fault. It's just that the information you relayed IS doom and gloom. No changes to staff, no changes to recruiting philosophy.
I don’t know if this guy is a big enough donor to know for a fact that nothing is changing but I do know that no one at the table is important enough for that guy to tell us they would make changes.

The only thing I would take from my post is that TnT is trying to rebuild relationships that maybe went sideways in the past. And BG apparently has some real young studs that Iowa is going to want to get in on.

I don’t know if this guy is a big enough donor to know for a fact that nothing is changing but I do know that no one at the table is important enough for that guy to tell us they would make changes.

The only thing I would take from my post is that TnT is trying to rebuild relationships that maybe went sideways in the past. And BG apparently has some real young studs that Iowa is going to want to get in on.
Hopefully he’s taking that same approach with AWA, etc.?

• Haha
Reactions: Trapper85 and eb05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT