ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

crazy thing is I think that guy was serious, wtf man!
Oh I'm serious as a heart attack!! We are going to fight the next time we see each other!

(I am not serious as a heart attack, I do not hate Grip or care about LuLu fanny packs)

Last edited:
Reactions: Grip220
Good thing you’re not in a position to make decisions then. I’d be okay if we wore lipstick and high heels if that meant being competitive on an annual basis, not having yearly senior flameouts and constant injuries, and being able to score points, scramble and finish shots.
You wear lipstick, that explains a lot. Go Hawks

to tell you the truth I cannot keep track on who said what at what time nor do I care, as far Im concerned at the end of the day we are all wrestling fans and everyone is only as good as their last post.
Now getting back to your question, I like Dake better!
I think he is smarter, I think he actually made DT better.
I like his philosophy on training and movements.
I believe his draw of new recruits may be even better then DT
I like his connection with Ny and northwestern PA
I think he would make a better coach for various reasons, but mostly from hearing them both speak and how they have handle themselves during competitions.
But most of all Dake does not wear lululemon fanny packs and DT does!

I'll be honest with you - outside of pure wrestling - Dake isn't better than DT at any of the above. The problem with Dake is that he's a Michael Jordan - his ability to coach is all about your willingness to do EXACTLY what he wants and how he wants it. He would make a great assistant coach under DT, but no, you wouldn't want him as the lead assistant.

His draw isn't better than DT. DT scores points, always has, and has been the "it" guy since his high school days. High school kids bag on Dake not doing enough all the time, lol.

DT isn't as physically gifted as Dake, and that translates in the way he coaches his athletes. Dake doesn't have that. You're 100% correct that he made DT better, but DT has the same mentality he does when it comes to wrestling. DT is going to be able to reach to different kinds of kids/young men. Dake can't.

I'll be honest with you - outside of pure wrestling - Dake isn't better than DT at any of the above. The problem with Dake is that he's a Michael Jordan - his ability to coach is all about your willingness to do EXACTLY what he wants and how he wants it. He would make a great assistant coach under DT, but no, you wouldn't want him as the lead assistant.

His draw isn't better than DT. DT scores points, always has, and has been the "it" guy since his high school days. High school kids bag on Dake not doing enough all the time, lol.

DT isn't as physically gifted as Dake, and that translates in the way he coaches his athletes. Dake doesn't have that. You're 100% correct that he made DT better, but DT has the same mentality he does when it comes to wrestling. DT is going to be able to reach to different kinds of kids/young men. Dake can't.
Obviously, we are just speculating, but I am curious why you think Deke would not make a good coach? Everything I have seen since his high school career leads me to believe that he would be a good coach.

Since this has turned into a DT thread, I'll share a cool story...
His RS freshmen year, 2010 we hosted psu.
I was on a Big Mikes subs addiction kick at the time so I popped into the one that used to be right off 1st Ave and the strip in Coralville for lunch.
Walking in right behind was DT and his family.
Since they were clearly staying to eat there I decided to as well.
He had DSJ that night.
I listened as he broke down his scouting report and match strategy to his Dad. It was incredible. He had DSJ scouted perfectly and later as I watched that night in Carver he had predicted exactly how the match would go. He clearly was different and that was as a 19 year old kid. While I never rooted for him while he was at psu, I did appreciate his skills and approach, and have followed his career pretty closely.
Anyone who thinks DT needs to prove himself as an assistant for awhile before taking over a big HC job clearly doesn't know much about him.
BTW, we thrashed them that night by the same score they beat us this year, 29-6.

I was on a Big Mikes subs addiction kick at the time so I popped into the one that used to be right off 1st Ave and the strip in Coralville for lunch.
He had DSJ that night.
I listened as he broke down his scouting report and match strategy to his Dad. It was incredible. He had DSJ scouted perfectly and later as I watched that night in Carver he had predicted exactly how the match would go. He clearly was different and that was as a 19 year old kid. While I never rooted for him while he was at psu, I did appreciate his skills and approach, and have followed his career pretty closely.
Anyone who thinks DT needs to prove himself as an assistant for awhile before taking over a big HC job clearly doesn't know much about him.
BTW, we thrashed them that night by the same score they beat us this year, 29-6.
Taylor and DSJ didn't wrestle each other in the 2010 dual, mostly because they were both redshirting that year. They wrestled in the 2011 dual in State College, at the 2011 B1Gs in Evanston, and 2011 Nationals.

Reactions: mcpat
He had DSJ that night.

Taylor and DSJ didn't wrestle each other in the 2010 dual, mostly because they were both redshirting that year. They wrestled in the 2011 dual in State College, at the 2011 B1Gs in Evanston, and 2011 Nationals.

Please be true...please be true...please be true...

Here is the 2010-2011 season which he may have mixed up his memory with....

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Imagine that. The Nitwits spend so much time here they struggle to keep track of which board they’re on, which name they’re using, or which made up story/city they’re in…

They’re a different kind of special. Lol - Dumb@sses

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Grip220

well thought out! I don't know much about Dake but listening to DT makes me think he is head coach material. I am going to try to find some Dake interviews.

Sush! CC is the secret sauce. We will do anything to keep CC here in State College.
THis is what people don't understand. Cael is a great recruiter.. Casey has built the program with his training and he is the guy that picks who PSU will recruit. He would make an instant splash where ever he was hired (he won't leave Cael)... Might hate the hawks more than anyone else though.. Really hates Tom and Terry

A similar move to what Ok St. made by bringing in Coleman Scott, a legendary alum with a proven coaching track record to be the heir apparent would make sense but there’s bad blood and burnt bridges with everyone who fits that mold.

Reactions: el dub
Obviously, we are just speculating, but I am curious why you think Deke would not make a good coach? Everything I have seen since his high school career leads me to believe that he would be a good coach.

I know the Cornell guys pretty well. Just remember what I said about MJ. Dake doesn' t have the ability to relate/coach to guys not wired like himself.

Yeah, now that makes his story a lot less likely to be true...
Nah, the years are just blending together. My recollection was more about the randomness of seeing him and his family at a local sub shop and hearing his scouting report more than anything. Take it for what it's worth. If he ever does get hired in IC you can ask him if he liked big mikes or milios or whatever became of it ;).

Nah, the years are just blending together. My recollection was more about the randomness of seeing him and his family at a local sub shop and hearing his scouting report more than anything. Take it for what it's worth. If he ever does get hired in IC you can ask him if he liked big mikes or milios or whatever became of it ;).
Wasn't trying to be a d*ck or anything so sorry if it came off that way. It's an interesting story for sure and was just trying to understand the details

Hey, I was trying to help you at first. The problem is, when looking for someone that is actually telling a lie, the focus is often on the "inaccuracies" surrounding the main part of the story. That is one of the biggest parts of an interrogation. Many times they won't even focus on that part because it is the part you are trying the hardest to keep straight and, as a result, you can't stay consistent with the other parts.

Meanwhile, usually, when it is all the truth, it is much easier to keep the surrounding parts consistent...

To be fair, I have noticed that I get the surrounding details wrong often these days in remembering things. It makes me wonder if I even get the main detail right anymore. I believe the gist of your story though.

Wasn't trying to be a d*ck or anything so sorry if it came off that way. It's an interesting story for sure and was just trying to understand the details
No worries at all. I turn 50 this year and I'll be damned if the processor isn't running a hell of a lot slower than it used to :(

Reactions: el dub
No worries at all. I turn 50 this year and I'll be damned if the processor isn't running a hell of a lot slower than it used to :(
Perhaps it's thermal throttling due to overload from accessing old corrupted files. Perhaps you need to run disk deframentation to clean up those scattered files? Lastly, have you tried applying a fresh coat of thermal paste?

Jesus Christ man this is straight delusion. This is the first time that I can ever remember not spending one second paying attention to Nationals. I found out Ayala made the finals bc of a FB post Saturday morning.

I had zero desire to watch the same bullshit I’ve seen for the last 14 years. Brands refuses to change and is perfectly comfortable letting Cael run roughshod over his ass, annually. He fvcked around and let the Penn State locomotive get going down hill. This is the result.
You post a lot for a guy who doesn't even watch wrestling.

You post a lot for a guy who doesn't even watch wrestling.
Where did he say he didnt watch wrestling? He said he didnt watch this year's national tournament. And also said hes watched for the past 14 years. From being on this board for 20+ years, ive seen him discuss wrestling to a great degree.

It’s difficult to count imaginary chickens accurately.
Great line,
Perhaps it's thermal throttling due to overload from accessing old corrupted files. Perhaps you need to run disk deframentation to clean up those scattered files? Lastly, have you tried applying a fresh coat of thermal paste?
Step away from the Mòtherboard...

Long time reader, I have probably only posted a few times over the years. My brother and I have been lifelong Hawkeye fans, all sports, if it is Iowa, we are watching. We still get to a game or bowl game every once in a while. We both moved to Houston about 25 years ago but wrestling is in our blood, we both wrestled, probably could have applied ourselves and been much better, but is what it is.
Tom and Terry are like our Idols, we could not believe how great it would be when Tom became head coach, and it was for a while. I think the sport has passed him by, just like I think it started to pass Gable a bit when he retired, it is a natural thing, some people evolve and others don't.
It is time for new blood in Iowa City. Spencer Lee is not ready, nor does he want to coach at this time. I believe there is so much great talent that has come out of the PSU program the past 15 years, that we would be foolish to pass it up, there is only so much time before these guys will take college programs and eventually challenge the great Cael, just like Gable assistants started doing with him. We are stupid to pass up on that talent, Tom and Terry I love, but their era has passed and it is time to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT