ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

You are supposing he cheated. What if it was simply a paperwork issue? What if he had a prescription for the last 10 years? You are very black and white on things. If it gets corrected and he receives no penalty, I am sure you will be on here the next 10 years calling him a cheater. That's how you roll.

How do you think criminal allegations work? E.g. my insider trading comparison. You aren't guilty the second you are charged with a crime. If evidence shows he's innocent then he'll be exonerated. I don't call any individual a cheater unless they've been proven to be a cheater by facts and evidence. Right now it doesn't look good for him. Even if he has a prescription, you're required to inform the testing agency of that prescription. Failing to do so, still makes you guilty/a cheater. If it triggers you to hear this, maybe go find a safe space.

I'll wait for the facts to play out with popcorn in hand.

If DT indeed turned down the OKST job this could be great news for Iowa's prospects of hiring him in the next few years. The fact that OKST offered him the job puts this further on Beth's radar.

Or Cael shared his retirement time-line and its attractive enough for DT to wait it out. I think that's his preferred plan.

There's no ****ing way Cael retires in the next 10 years. I just don't see it. That's like RBY and Starocci claiming they might not come back to finish their NCAA careers. They were always coming back.

Gilman and Retherford both also claimed they weren't sure they were going to wrestle this trials, yet they both did. Seems to be a trend at PSU/NLWC.

There's no ****ing way Cael retires in the next 10 years. I just don't see it. That's like RBY and Starocci claiming they might not come back to finish their NCAA careers. They were always coming back.

Gilman and Retherford both also claimed they weren't sure they were going to wrestle this trials, yet they both did. Seems to be a trend at PSU/NLWC.
The choices the wrestlers made have nothing to do with what Cael may or may not do in the future. He's 4 ncaa titles behind Gable. I think when he passes him he'll be done... but maybe that's just wishful thinking. He just has the look of someone staring to burn out to me. Credit to him for empowering really good assistants but he just doesn't appear as engaged as he was 5-10 years ago.

i like to joke around but i doubt it was out of malice that cael talked dt out of it. it was probably like, hey are you sure you are done competing? you can always coach but there is only so long to compete. i have always wondered if cael wishes he would have competed another cycle
I always thought this was David's last Olympic run, regardless.

Head coaching jobs don't always open up at the wrestling blue bloods. Every couple of decades usually... DT isn't getting younger and his chances at making another Olympic tournament are worse next cycle. That would be really poor advice from Cael if that's what he told David.

You have to go deeper than this when considering a career change and job of this magnitude. So many other things need to factor in: budget, future strategic plans of the AD including facilities, support, alumni base/landscape, NIL, RTC, and on and on. Quite frankly with OKST in the B12 any prospective coach would be wise to take a VERY critical look at the lay of the land before accepting the job.

You have to go deeper than this when considering a career change and job of this magnitude. So many other things need to factor in: budget, future strategic plans of the AD including facilities, support, alumni base/landscape, NIL, RTC, and on and on. Quite frankly with OKST in the B12 any prospective coach would be wise to take a VERY critical look at the lay of the land before accepting the job.
They had a very wealthy donor willing to roll out the red carpet. It’s hard to imagine he gets a better offer. Almost everybody thought this was a done deal 24 hrs ago.

They had a very wealthy donor willing to roll out the red carpet. It’s hard to imagine he gets a better offer. Almost everybody thought this was a done deal 24 hrs ago.

Define better offer. Do you mean a high salary for DT? Or all of the other things that he was likely seeking?

But what prevents DT from pulling a Cael and bailing for a better coaching position after a few years at OKST?

Reactions: el dub and eb05
The choices the wrestlers made have nothing to do with what Cael may or may not do in the future. He's 4 ncaa titles behind Gable. I think when he passes him he'll be done... but maybe that's just wishful thinking. He just has the look of someone staring to burn out to me. Credit to him for empowering really good assistants but he just doesn't appear as engaged as he was 5-10 years ago.

Carl ain't gonna be burned out for a long time. His support system is the best in the nation and he makes all the decisions. And the AD LOVES him and wrestling.

eh. this is all a positive for the okiest job. There are donors ready to start giving millions again that didn't because John was doing such a bad job. (john also didn't care much for the fundraising part of the job)

NIL, RTC - okiest has the money and plans for a new facility (with natural lighting). Plus DT in particular wouldn't have to worry about being in the Big Ten and facing his mentor up to 3 times a year. It's a huge net-positive for ANY coach to take this job. It's the best job outside of Penn State and Iowa until Koll starts bringing in millions to UNC.

dude. what job is that?

PSU? Cuz that's it. and ONLY because he's alumni. But Carl isn't gonna be done for at least another decade.

I agree. That's why him turning down OKST would be shocking. (And likely due to Cael's manipulation IMO)

Hey, I've always thought Mineo was a muckraker and lowlife. Even when he is picking on you guys. He is like when your pet vomits and you accidentally step in it with your bare foot. Mineo is the vomit.
Wish you'd said this months (years) ago. Just say'in.

I agree. That's why him turning down OKST would be shocking. (And likely due to Cael's manipulation IMO)

I can promise you it would have nothing to do with manipulation from Carl. It would be because of a number of factors.

I'd say one of which is that I don't think he plans on retiring from competition. I think he moves up to 92 and competes the next cycle.

Also, he's having a lot of f*n coaching M2. His wife has a thriving and expanding business and he I think he likes the ecosystem he's creating at PSU (the fugging "blue"shirt is insane).

Has DT talked about wanting to be a coach before? I know he's got his club, but that's different than being a DI coach and it's a giant leap for both him and Okst.

I wonder if after he got his butt whipped by Brooks he went into a bit of a panic as I'm sure it was emotional for him. Entertains the thought thought of Okst and then sits down, realizes what he's about to do and pumps the brakes a bit. He seems to have a lot of good going for him where he's at and maybe needed to step back and figure out he really wants to do instead of making a rushed decision.

I can promise you it would have nothing to do with manipulation from Carl. It would be because of a number of factors.

I'd say one of which is that I don't think he plans on retiring from competition. I think he moves up to 92 and competes the next cycle.

Also, he's having a lot of f*n coaching M2. His wife has a thriving and expanding business and he I think he likes the ecosystem he's creating at PSU (the fugging "blue"shirt is insane).

Well CP reported on FRL today that it was looking like DT was going to accept the job, and then went back and talked to "his camp" (who knows who that is but I think it's very safe to speculate that would include Cael). And after talking to his camp, he changed his mind. So I'd wager either Cael talked him out of it or his wife said "**** no" to living in Oklahoma. That's equally as likely to be fair... 😂

He'll also be 37 next cycle. Extremely unlikely that he'll make another run at it IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to Cael's manipulation..............you've officially become IronBird

Far from it. I've stated that this is purely conjecture. However, it's partially supported by the evidence stated by CP on FRL today. Cael is a master manipulator. That's not a bad trait when you're trying to win. He's hyper successful at it. It's not like he's manipulating people to commit crimes. Just fall into place like perfect dominos to keep the dynasty in motion.

Reactions: Sandor45
Far from it. I've stated that this is purely conjecture. However, it's partially supported by the evidence stated by CP on FRL today. Cael is a master manipulator. That's not a bad trait when you're trying to win. He's hyper successful at it. It's not like he's manipulating people to commit crimes. Just fall into place like perfect dominos to keep the dynasty in motion.
agreed.
His ability to persuade people to do what he wants is a huge unspoken asset.
he almost always gets what he wants.
People like to believe he’s just a calm and collected guy who preaches being grateful and having fun.
Well you got a small glimpse of his fire when Cox beat Taylor for the world team spot when he tossed the chair on the mat.
Cael wants to win more than anything and he’ll do everything in his power to do it.

agreed.
His ability to persuade people to do what he wants is a huge unspoken asset.
he almost always gets what he wants.
People like to believe he’s just a calm and collected guy who preaches being grateful and having fun.
Well you got a small glimpse of his fire when Cox beat Taylor for the world team spot when he tossed the chair on the mat.
Cael wants to win more than anything and he’ll do everything in his power to do it.
I thought of this reading your post. Just a gentle ribbing...

forrest-gump.gif

Reactions: Sandor45
Sure. I'm sure Coleman knew John was retiring soon and his best chance to get the gig was to come be an assistant under him again. Coleman not immediately getting the job doesn't mean he didn't have an idea of John's plans. His actions indicate he did.

I guess I look at opportunities vs what may or may not happen down the line. OSU is one of 3 or 4 jobs in wrestling that are worth the leap. John is a legend who anointed Coleman as his guy yet the shit barely got moved out of his office before they started interviewing other guys. Right now, DT may be the guy in Carl’s mind but things and people change.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
I guess I look at opportunities vs what may or may not happen down the line. OSU is one of 3 or 4 jobs in wrestling that are worth the leap. John is a legend who anointed Coleman as his guy yet the shit barely got moved out of his office before they started interviewing other guys. Right now, DT may be the guy in Carl’s mind but things and people change.
I'm not following this post. What are you saying? That Cael may anoint someone other than DT when he finally hangs up his clipboard? Sure. When he hangs it up, I think DT will be too old. 40+ A guy on the current team may end up being PSU's coach in the future.

All the last week proved is that coaching legends may have a lot of pull but once they retire they have just about the same pull as IAChief32 and PennState1985. AD's are gonna do what they need to do to survive the cutthroat athletics industry in colleges. The same will apply to Cael someday as well.

Reactions: el dub
I'm not following this post. What are you saying? That Cael may anoint someone other than DT when he finally hangs up his clipboard? Sure. When he hangs it up, I think DT will be too old. 40+ A guy on the current team may end up being PSU's coach in the future.

All the last week proved is that coaching legends may have a lot of pull but once they retire they have the same pull as IAChief32 and PennState1985. AD's are gonna do what they need to survive the cutthroat athletics industry in colleges. The same will apply to Cael someday as well.
I don’t want to speak for him, but I believe he was pointing out it may not matter who carl “anoints” as his successor, the admin/boosters could have a different idea, just like osu

Carl ain't gonna be burned out for a long time. His support system is the best in the nation and he makes all the decisions. And the AD LOVES him and wrestling.

eh. this is all a positive for the okiest job. There are donors ready to start giving millions again that didn't because John was doing such a bad job. (john also didn't care much for the fundraising part of the job)

NIL, RTC - okiest has the money and plans for a new facility (with natural lighting). Plus DT in particular wouldn't have to worry about being in the Big Ten and facing his mentor up to 3 times a year. It's a huge net-positive for ANY coach to take this job. It's the best job outside of Penn State and Iowa until Koll starts bringing in millions to UNC.

Don’t be so sure. Massive donor involvement isn’t always a good thing.

DT is from Wyoming and Ohio (in high school). Kendra is from Illinois. Chicago suburbs I think.
I read a story that they wrestling in a tournament at age 10 in Nevada. He still has the bracket framed. That’s how they first met. He beat her btw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT