ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

You’d have to ask them why they think he’s the guy to get us out of this. Why you’re asking me, I don’t know. 😂

Pro tip: Don’t try to convince someone who already agrees with you. It just makes you look nutty. I mean nuttier.
I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I’m having a discussion on a message board. You replied to one of my posts and I responded to you.

That’s how this works lol.

They talked to DT, that alone proved I was correct and you were wrong, now you can slap yourself in the face but make sure you do it like you mean it. Now Im done

That doesn’t prove anything.

I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I’m having a discussion on a message board. You replied to one of my posts and I responded to you.

That’s how this works lol.

In your response you told me “You just have to open your eyes to see what’s right in front of you”
even though I had already said I agree with you, and you have no doubt seen my many posts on the subject. But ok. 👍🏼

Quite the coincidence that Brands got a 7 year contract just after producing his two best years in the prior 10. I'm not sure what possessed the Admin to agree to a 7 year deal when they should have known they were holding the high cards. Brands was 54 at the time, so where was he going to go if they offered him a 3-5 year deal with more incentives than salary? Rather than offer a high salary low incentive deal, instead offer a low salary highly incentivized deal.
I don't think Brands is motivated by money, so I don't think he is "laughing all the way to the bank" over the contract extension. He is motivated by winning, and he knows he's not. He might've been perfectly fine with a contract heavy on incentives. In any event, he should probably give 25% of his salary to Spencer Lee, and another 25% to the NIL fund to make up for his recruiting misses.

I don't think Brands is motivated by money, so I don't think he is "laughing all the way to the bank" over the contract extension. He is motivated by winning, and he knows he's not. He might've been perfectly fine with a contract heavy on incentives. In any event, he should probably give 25% of his salary to Spencer Lee, and another 25% to the NIL fund to make up for his recruiting misses.
PSU guy here … lurking due to hard rain on the farm >> I think you are right about Tom. He’s got enough money and fame. He a diehard and wants to win. I for one think he’s got at least one more “run” in him. He’s not the root problem. Dump most of the existing staff and let everyone know that it’s not the “same old same old”. Leverage SL properly and some combo of Jax, Bassett, and Blaze will come in and drag some other studs. There are only a few who can instantly attract young studs (Taylor, Nolf, S.Lee). Wake up, use what you got, and the world will reciprocate.

There are more spoiled brats in this forum than all the daycares in the state of Iowa combined. There isn't a program or coach in the wrestling business that will unseat Cael for number 1 until he decides to quit. It's a fact and we have to be smart enough to realize it. Do I want to win titles, hell yes, but reality is it ain't in the cards and that's the bottom line. The race is to figure out how to separate us from the 3rd, 4th and fifth place teams. T&T know things need fixed and I'll bet we get 2nd this next season as we are sitting good with portal guys. Would've had 2nd this year if it weren't for gambling.

• Wow
Reactions: NLhawk62 and WWGD
PSU guy here … lurking due to hard rain on the farm >> I think you are right about Tom. He’s got enough money and fame. He a diehard and wants to win. I for one think he’s got at least one more “run” in him. He’s not the root problem. Dump most of the existing staff and let everyone know that it’s not the “same old same old”. Leverage SL properly and some combo of Jax, Bassett, and Blaze will come in and drag some other studs. There are only a few who can instantly attract young studs (Taylor, Nolf, S.Lee). Wake up, use what you got, and the world will reciprocate.
Of course he’s the root of all good and bad in HIS program. The rest is just excuses.

Being the leader in any organization makes you responsible for all actions and results, and therefore the root of all problems and successes. That's why he makes $800k a year. "but Telford isn't a great recruiter". Tom's failure. "strength and conditioning are subpar". Tom's failure. Ecetera. Ecetera. I guarantee based on everything I've read that Tom would say the same. He's a standup guy. Where we differ is that he still wants to enforce his version of insanity, where doing the same thing over and over will result in a different outcome. That's really the root of the problem.

In your response you told me “You just have to open your eyes to see what’s right in front of you”
even though I had already said I agree with you, and you have no doubt seen my many posts on the subject. But ok. 👍🏼
Sorry for the confusion. My comment was aimed more toward the donors who read this board and those who still believe that Tom and Terry can turn things around, not you, specifically.

I know you're not one of those people, but I can see how you read it that way though - that's my bad.

He likes to call people out when they are wrong, but cannot admit when he is wrong. spooner will be spooner just like Ironbird will be Ironbird. They are still Hawk fans so that means something.

I have no issue admitting I’m wrong when I actually am. A quick search of the forum shows this.

Just curious, do you live in a trash can?

If I do, it’s at least on planet earth.

Look guys I get it we are not where we want to be. Here’s the thing there is Nobody out there that would do better. Some say hire a younger guy like Taylor. That’s a pipe dream. Evan if it was possible it would take time to change things the way he would want. I am guessing 2 to 3 year’s minimum and we would go backwards before forwards. Then what would you guys all say…. If we were to get rid of everyone you can kiss Spencer, Gabe and Kueter goodbye send Ross to isu and then we have a mess on our hands. We have to ride it out till Spencer is ready. The crazy thing about Spencer we would only get a few years out of him as a coach because he wants to be an AD.

Look guys I get it we are not where we want to be. Here’s the thing there is Nobody out there that would do better. Some say hire a younger guy like Taylor. That’s a pipe dream. Evan if it was possible it would take time to change things the way he would want. I am guessing 2 to 3 year’s minimum and we would go backwards before forwards. Then what would you guys all say…. If we were to get rid of everyone you can kiss Spencer, Gabe and Kueter goodbye send Ross to isu and then we have a mess on our hands. We have to ride it out till Spencer is ready. The crazy thing about Spencer we would only get a few years out of him as a coach because he wants to be an AD.
Yeah guys, let's accept that we are not going to win anymore and do nothing about it. Let other teams make splash hires and attempt to take out PSU... Not at Iowa.. WE LIKE OUR GUYS!

Last edited:
I am guessing 2 to 3 year’s minimum and we would go backwards before forwards.
Kinda going backwards right now don’t you think? The top recruits being discussed aren’t even looking this way.

Spencer, Gabe and Kueter goodbye send Ross to isu and then we have a mess on our hands.
Kueter and Ross would be licking their chops. There couldn’t be 2 better fits in terms of length, technique and athleticism for DT’s style.

If Terry isn’t here, DT and the psu connection is a move that keeps SL in Iowa City.

Reactions: MVPFAN and MAGAman
Kinda going backwards right now don’t you think? The top recruits being discussed aren’t even looking this way.

Kueter and Ross would be licking their chops. There couldn’t be 2 better fits in terms of length, technique and athleticism for DT’s style.

If Terry isn’t here, DT and the psu connection is a move that keeps SL in Iowa City.
I totally agree. And no way in hell SL gets any AD job at D1 level let alone iowa 3-4 yrs after hes done wrestling after coaching for a few yrs.

Reactions: js8793
Soooo. DT to Stilly soon?
Sure! This vaults Okie State to a position that Iowa fans will envy. According to Askren, it’s gonna happen tomorrow. One of the Askrens went to Stillwater last month. Maybe his advise to the AD was “Hire David Taylor”.

Sure! This vaults Okie State to a position that Iowa fans will envy. According to Askren, it’s gonna happen tomorrow. One of the Askrens went to Stillwater last month. Maybe his advise to the AD was “Hire David Taylor”.
Are you thinking of when Ben went to Madison to speak with the Wisconsin AD last month?

Reactions: T8KUDWN
He likes to call people out when they are wrong, but cannot admit when he is wrong. spooner will be spooner just like Ironbird will be Ironbird. They are still Hawk fans so that means something.
And grip will be grip, bouzakis to Iowa……how soon we forget……your a brilliant insider in your own mind

We already have a mess on our hands, imo. Nobody should be bigger than the program.

Reactions: kegan
David Taylor to Okie State is gonna be a BIG problem for Iowa and Ohio St. It jumps the Cowboys into the second most desirable place to wrestle moving the Hawks and Buckeyes further down.
But but, David doesn’t havent any HC experience!

This was supposed to be Iowa’s move and we baulked because our boosters and half of our fanbase can’t let go of the past. Like that old saying goes, he who hesitates is lost.

Iowa wresting is lost right now.

Now that Dake is going to be the oldest Wrestler to compete for the US FreeStyle Wrestling team ( AS EVERYONE POINTS OUT ) wouldn't he be a great candidate for a coaching position?? Everyone is so high on DT I would think that Dake would be an upgrade since he does NOT have a wrestling school or business in State College to tie him down. Maybe he would be a good fit as an assistant then possibly HC down the road a couple years. He definitely has the Name recognition , the reputation and the technique to be a great recruiter and a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT