ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

But David Taylor has no D1 coaching experience; how could a top school like OSU possibly trust him to know what he’s doing……

images

So DT will be in Stillwater tomorrow apparently. I can’t imagine that a booster that got the administration to renege on a handshake agreement with Coleman will allow DT to leave Oklahoma without an agreement.

David is about to hit the lottery

Reactions: tiltman and kkhawk
So DT will be in Stillwater tomorrow apparently. I can’t imagine that a booster that got the administration to renege on a handshake agreement with Coleman will allow DT to leave Oklahoma without an agreement.

David is about to hit the lottery
Agreed. They will give DT whatever he wants. If they can get DT to visit Stillwater he is very likely their next HC.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
There’s always the askrens. They are outperforming everyone in the nation at producing high level high schoolers.
Ben just had his last FRL this week and they asked him about coaching D1. He said never say never - but I'm confident that it's never happening at Iowa. Missouri or Wisconsin and he said after his kids are grown up, like when he's 50.

DT was who Iowa needed to get. Like someone said after NCAA's, it was a strike while the iron is hot moment and Iowa did nothing.

I can’t help but think all the chatter on this forum after nationals got some rich guy thinking about DT.

Well there is a lot of shit that would have had to happen...I think DT losing started the wheels turning. I'd credit Kyven Gadsen for getting this thing started though. Tough for ISU. This is going to hurt them in the Big 12. Also, will Penn State.

Iowa's whole athletic department is stuck in the 80's
Different situation for Beth to gut’ TnT vs pass up on Coleman Scott
Okie State is waking up and making the necessary moves and Iowa is still riding with Morningstar and Telfold.

TNT should be embarrassed.
After those two decided to not make any changes (shocking) this offseason and still drool over AJ being in the black and gold, I’m thinking they are so ignorant they can’t experience embarrassment

We’re stuck with the two turds till 2028 at least

I really hope DT doesn't go to OSU. That will be bad for Iowa for many years to come. I will admit that is better than him joining Carl though. Wonder what Smith and Coleman think. I'm sure this wasn't in their plans a couple weeks ago when John retired. OSU is pulling out all the stops after a decade of mediocrity, I'll give them that.

DT was who Iowa needed to get. Like someone said after NCAA's, it was a strike while the iron is hot moment and Iowa did nothing.

At that point, I don't think Taylor would have considered it unless his plan was to retire after the Olympics. A lot of stuff happened between then and now. Also, the AD would have had to be mulling getting rid of TnT...she was not. Why f*ck around and get rid of a guy who just won you a national title a few years back, who finished 3rd and 2nd, and had an all time gambling FUBAR situation come up in regards to gambling but still finished 5th?

At that point, I don't think Taylor would have considered it unless his plan was to retire after the Olympics. A lot of stuff happened between then and now. Also, the AD would have had to be mulling getting rid of TnT...she was not. Why f*ck around and get rid of a guy who just won you a national title a few years back, who finished 3rd and 2nd, and had an all time gambling FUBAR situation come up in regards to gambling but still finished 5th?
Because our outlook as a program is at an all time low and TNT won't make the proper adjustments?

What happened between now and then besides David losing at trials, which was always a possibility? Okie State went for it and Iowa didn't, it's as simple as that.

Referring to Brands as "a guy who just won you a national title a few years back" is a nice way of putting it. You could also phrase that question as why wouldn't you go all in and throw the bag at DT and get rid of the guy who has won one team title in the last 14 years?

Beth should be making her decisions based on the trajectory of the program, and right now Iowa wrestling is in a tailspin with leaders who refuse to adapt. We have a $35M facility that the Brands are going to completely waste. Combine that with the fact that TNT seem to still be all in on the Ferrari circus, and the decision should have been easy for her.

That ol' Moneyball quote - you adapt or you die.

Two champs. Clark and Spencer. Thats it since the 2014 season
It's incredible how we still have so many fans who refuse to see what's right in front of their faces.

They love making excuses for TNT though. Covid, gambling, you name it. Anything other than admitting that the coaches are failing the Iowa wrestling program.

Iowa wrestling having two individual champs since 2014 is flat-out egregious.

TNT are pretty good coaches. They have the boosters ponying up cash in gobs, great kids are still enrolling, and they are decent role models ( they don't carouse downtown and boink co-eds). That and let's face it...a couple of years ago they would have won the title, hands down.

Gotta be thankful for what you have.

TNT are pretty good coaches. They have the boosters ponying up cash in gobs, great kids are still enrolling, and they are decent role models ( they don't carouse downtown and boink co-eds). That and let's face it...a couple of years ago they would have won the title, hands down.

"pretty good" isn't good enough at Iowa

I get what you’re saying chief but since that last title that T and T brought home a lot of things have changed in the sport of wrestling.

1. Psu arguable won that night, in the course of public opinion. They had multiple champs and we had Spencer.

2. Injuries derailed Iowas chance at their first four timer and one could argue the decision to not immediately have double ACL surgery’s for Spencer was the root cause of that lost opportunity.

2. Penn st realized that having holes in their lineups left them vulnerable. Since then we’ve seen them utilize the portal and get top ten recruits to back up their top ten recruits.

3. The gambling fiasco. You seem to use that as an excuse, I could easily make the case that it’s the coaches job to emphasize the rules. Yes, more than Iowa athletes likely violated these rules and possibly laws are rules were broken to gather the information that condemned those athletes, but the burden should fall on Tom and Terrys shoulders. Terrys own son was involved and publicly said that he missed the meeting where they covered these violations. Horrible look for Iowa.

4. Aj with the double f you’s at the Iowa hosted Soldier salute. Another horrible look.

5. All of this fails to mention that Clark and Lee are the only Iowa champs since 2014. That’s ten years. Which means that high school seniors wrestler have seen only two Iowa Hawkeyes win national titles since they were 8, and both of those guys were badly injured or recovering from severe injuries.

6. The HWC has fallen off the face of the earth. Apart, again from Spencer, the last notable HWC member on the world scene was Dan Dennis, and he was brought in amidst controversy at the expense of a bigger named wrestler in Tony Ramos.

All of this signifies some kind of mismanagement or poor decision making. So why **** around and get rid of a guy that won a title three years ago, because the signs of slow decay have been present for awhile. The fact that DT was tied to Iowa and now looks more interested in the Okie st job is a kick in the nuts. DT to Okie st is the nail in Tom and Terrys coffin, while he could have been the spark that finally ignited the long simmering fire that should be Iowa wrestling. In my opinion if this transpires it is horrible news. I will continue to root for Iowas success but truthfully I don’t see a way out under our current management.

Last edited:
What happened between now and then besides David losing at trials, which was always a possibility? Okie State went for it and Iowa didn't, it's as simple as that.

It wasn't Okie State that went for it...they had their guy in Coleman and John retiring. This was a plan they had in the place. You can't just make up your own facts. Let's be honest, nobody thought DT would be in play this year or even if he was done wrestling. He has been considered the top P4P American and was a shoe in for the team…until he wasn’t.

Referring to Brands as "a guy who just won you a national title a few years back" is a nice way of putting it. You could also phrase that question as why wouldn't you go all in and throw the bag at DT and get rid of the guy who has won one team title in the last 14 years?

The guy has historically been the 2nd best college coach in his tenure. This is what an AD sees. They also see meet attendance, graduation rates blah blah blah. Just because we say it on a message board doesn't mean it's so. Good luck trying to payoff a contract on a coach in a non revenue sport like that.

Reactions: moug and T8KUDWN
The fact that DT was tied to Iowa and now looks more interested in the Okie st job is a kick in the nuts

In your post you made solid points. I get the frustrations etc. But I am arguing facts and what an AD or an actual rational (non fan) person would think…not message board dudes like us.

The fact is, Iowa was never tied to Taylor or even put feelers out there. From what I heard, our AD had no clue who DT even was until she was tagged on Twitter by Gadsen during NCAAs. OSU had a plan in place until Taylor lost and their $$ guy started kicking it around. I am guessing he is driving this train and paying for the freight if they do indeed hire DT.

So...the "Iowa Way" continues!!!!

Scoreless first period, bottom wrestler with an escape in the second and third period...and it goes to overtime!!!

That style will really draw elite high school studs.

No wonder Bob Nichols has to spend $300-$600k for portal guys.

Not good coaches anymore
Anyone can raise money
Bad kids on way-AJ&co
Terrible role models(pouty little babies)
Recent title because PSU kept studs out.

Its time. They are an embarrassment with their antics on mat side, interviews and desperation attempts to catch PSU.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT