ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Tom…

In your post you made solid points. I get the frustrations etc. But I am arguing facts and what an AD or an actual rational (non fan) person would think…not message board dudes like us.

The fact is, Iowa was never tied to Taylor or even put feelers out there. From what I heard, our AD had no clue who DT even was until she was tagged on Twitter by Gadsen during NCAAs. OSU had a plan in place until Taylor lost and their $$ guy started kicking it around. I am guessing he is driving this train and paying for the freight if they do indeed hire DT.
I remember Tom talking about how much Gary Barta wanted Iowa wrestling to succeed. I hope Beth places the same kind of importance that Gary did on the sport. Though, you saying she didn’t know who DT was and how she looks at 2nd, 3rd, and 5th place finishes as being successful for Iowa wrestling as an okay result does worry me. Let’s face it wrestling is about the only Sport that Iowa is going to win national championships.

The thing Tom may need to understand that sometimes you have to convince a guy that he wants to be at Iowa. If you show na interest in the guy and make him feel wanted, that tends to sway their opinion. I know a lot of high school kids who think they know what they want, but in actuality, they have no idea.
This is possibly a big part of current problem .

If’s just as important to make a recruit feel wanted, imo. It needs to be a two way street. Get in front of the best. Tell them Iowa is interested. Gauge reaction and go from there. Problem solved. lol j/k

This is possibly a big part of current problem .

If’s just as important to make a recruit feel wanted, imo. It needs to be a two way street. Get in front of the best. Tell them Iowa is interested. Gauge reaction and go from there. Problem solved. lol j/k
Like the ferraris. Noone wanted them-tt showed interest-we are stuck with the circus the next 4 yrs!
End result
-future shit show
-drove top guy out
-drove prospects away
-joke off the NCAA

Reactions: el dub
And Iowa falls even further into the abyss missing out on its one shot to regain relevancy.
Iowa wrestling is over. Brands has been treading water since 2010 while PSU flew by. He got ahold of a rope to try and get out of the pool when Spencer arrived and the proceeded to let go and return to doing nothing again. There is absolutely no future with the status quo. Okie State actually using their brains. Smith wasn't getting it done, old school Okie State not getting it done. Scott isn't going to get them a whole lot better results than Smith, he wasn't exactly tearing it up at UNC, 3rd best program out of the 3 programs that mean anything in the ACC.

Its ok to admit you are wrong every once in a blue moon, wont kill ya. Its cool though.

I didn’t realize they had named a head coach. Is there a link to a press release about their new coach you can post?

If you are running a brand and you are simply talking about what you did 3-4 years ago to try to save your brand, you are failing. If you think just building a newer nicer building is going to be enough to save your brand, you are failing. If the dynamics of your industry are changing and you keep doing the same thing with the same team, you are failing. You have to adjust and learn from mistakes. Humbly evaluate where you are not meeting the industry standards and make the necessary changes/adjustments. This type of thinking has not happened with the Iowa brand of wrestling for several years now. Every year it’s been the same thing in the off season.

What’s ahead for next year…

1) Same staff, which hasn’t shown me they can develop guys and/or can actually teach takedown techniques and/or finishing shots consistently. Kind of important with the 3 point rule now.

2) Ferrari brothers coming in which has a divide in the fan base already. Great if it works out, but the gas can and match is nearby.

3) Still no real world contenders other than Spencer or attempts to lure non Iowa guys into HWC to improve the club, yet again

I love Iowa Wrestling and the kids and families that commit to it and they deserve more than they are getting when they make that choice. TnT are great people and they are great role models, but Tom is the CEO and that requires making honest and humble evaluations and making tough decisions based on where the brand is and where it is trending. It’s time to start making real evaluations or move the family road show to a new school so we can get back to excellence with new leadership. Even after that rant, I would love nothing more than for Tom to get it figured out. Change has to happen. It will either be with him or without him and he currently holds the keys.

If you are running a brand and you are simply talking about what you did 3-4 years ago to try to save your brand, you are failing. If you think just building a newer nicer building is going to be enough to save your brand, you are failing. If the dynamics of your industry are changing and you keep doing the same thing with the same team, you are failing. You have to adjust and learn from mistakes. Humbly evaluate where you are not meeting the industry standards and make the necessary changes/adjustments. This type of thinking has not happened with the Iowa brand of wrestling for several years now. Every year it’s been the same thing in the off season.

What’s ahead for next year…

1) Same staff, which hasn’t shown me they can develop guys and/or can actually teach takedown techniques and/or finishing shots consistently. Kind of important with the 3 point rule now.

2) Ferrari brothers coming in which has a divide in the fan base already. Great if it works out, but the gas can and match is nearby.

3) Still no real world contenders other than Spencer or attempts to lure non Iowa guys into HWC to improve the club, yet again

I love Iowa Wrestling and the kids and families that commit to it and they deserve more than they are getting when they make that choice. TnT are great people and they are great role models, but Tom is the CEO and that requires making honest and humble evaluations and making tough decisions based on where the brand is and where it is trending. It’s time to start making real evaluations or move the family road show to a new school so we can get back to excellence with new leadership. Even after that rant, I would love nothing more than for Tom to get it figured out. Change has to happen. It will either be with him or without him and he currently holds the keys.
Can’t say it much better than this

Reactions: MVPFAN and vhsalum
Correct.

Ridiculous point. If Iowa wanted to replace him, this wouldn’t be a problem.

Not a ridiculous point. Tom B is entitled to $1 million in liquidated damages if he's terminated without cause before July 1, 2024. After that date, the liquidated damages falls a bit but is still significant -- $850,000. Not an impossible hurdle but to say it's not a problem is overstatement. The school would need to pony up some serious money or find someone who wants to move on from Tom to contribute that amount. I assume more money would be needed to buy Terry out of his contract.

Not a ridiculous point. Tom B is entitled to $1 million in liquidated damages if he's terminated without cause before July 1, 2024. After that date, the liquidated damages falls a bit but is still significant -- $850,000. Not an impossible hurdle but to say it's not a problem is overstatement. The school would need to pony up some serious money or find someone who wants to move on from Tom to contribute that amount. I assume more money would be needed to buy Terry out of his contract.
Quite the coincidence that Brands got a 7 year contract just after producing his two best years in the prior 10. I'm not sure what possessed the Admin to agree to a 7 year deal when they should have known they were holding the high cards. Brands was 54 at the time, so where was he going to go if they offered him a 3-5 year deal with more incentives than salary? Rather than offer a high salary low incentive deal, instead offer a low salary highly incentivized deal.

Not good coaches anymore
Anyone can raise money
Bad kids on way-AJ&co
Terrible role models(pouty little babies)
Recent title because PSU kept studs out.

Its time. They are an embarrassment with their antics on mat side, interviews and desperation attempts to catch PSU.
You might need to find a new team to support.

You need to go back and read what we had argued.

Coleman is going to be the next coach. If he’s not, I will say I’m wrong. Won’t be the first time or the last.

That’s pennies. It’s a consideration, not a problem.

Quite the coincidence that Brands got a 7 year contract just after producing his two best years in the prior 10. I'm not sure what possessed the Admin to agree to a 7 year deal when they should have known they were holding the high cards. Brands was 54 at the time, so where was he going to go if they offered him a 3-5 year deal with more incentives than salary? Rather than offer a high salary low incentive deal, instead offer a low salary highly incentivized deal.

The very fact that you think it’s reasonable to offer a highly successful head coach a 3 year contract nullifies any point you made here.

The very fact that you think it’s reasonable to offer a highly successful head coach a 3 year contract nullifies any point you made here.
It's highly reasonable to wake up an underperforming member of the athletic dept by offering a 3 year contract. It tells him that he needs to work for his future contract and it's not a rubber stamp. You come across as an old school "this is the way we've always done it" kind of guy. Zero creativity in your body and paper pushing from one side of the desk to another. Many failed businesses have Spooners in mngt positions. Congrats!

I also noticed that you made no mention of my other point, which was to ask why the AD offered a heavy salary contract rather than a heavy incentive contract. You know, to get the head coach focused on important details to further the success of the program like recruiting.

It's highly reasonable to wake up an underperforming member of the athletic dept by offering a 3 year contract. It tells him that he needs to work for his future contract and it's not a rubber stamp. You come across as an old school "this is the way we've always done it" kind of guy. Zero creativity in your body and paper pushing from one side of the desk to another. Many failed businesses have Spooners in mngt positions. Congrats!

I also noticed that you made no mention of my other point, which was to ask why the AD offered a heavy salary contract rather than a heavy incentive contract. You know, to get the head coach focused on important details to further the success of the program like recruiting.

He’d just won the NCAA title a year prior and lost a title due to covid in 2020. Stop being a MMQB.

Regardless, you can’t have a head under a 3 year contract. Like I said, not grasping that concept nullifies any other points.

TNT are not getting replaced until they want to be done, or donors quit giving money.

Are there bigger donors to Iowa wrestling than the Goschke and Nicolls families? Bob thinks TNT walk on water and the Goschke family obviously believe in them or they don’t donate money for the facility. TNT have been in Iowa City around 30 years. That’s a lot of time to build relationships and I just don’t see them being ousted unless the donors want change. Donors are everything for non revenue sports.

TNT are not getting replaced until they want to be done, or donors quit giving money.

Are there bigger donors to Iowa wrestling than the Goschke and Nicolls families? Bob thinks TNT walk on water and the Goschke family obviously believe in them or they don’t donate money for the facility. TNT have been in Iowa City around 30 years. That’s a lot of time to build relationships and I just don’t see them being ousted unless the donors want change. Donors are everything for non revenue sports.
So in other words, the donors are putting their relationship with TNT over the betterment of the Iowa program? Neat, so we are controlled by a couple of TNT fanboys.

Also, can’t help but lol at the earlier comment about Brands being entitled to $1 million in liquidated damages if he's terminated without cause before July 1, 2024. We almost spent that amount on two mediocre transfers last year. A donor could find that in the couch cushion if they were actually serious about the future of the Iowa wrestling program.

Also, Tom is not the second best coach of the era. He’s by far and away had the second best situation though, and he’s squandered it. You going to tell me guys like Koll and Tom Ryan couldn’t win one title in 14 years with all the resources and tradition at Iowa? Give me a break.

So in other words, the donors are putting their relationship with TNT over the betterment of the Iowa program? Neat, so we are controlled by a couple of TNT fanboys.

Also, can’t help but lol at the earlier comment about Brands being entitled to $1 million in liquidated damages if he's terminated without cause before July 1, 2024. We almost spent that amount on two mediocre transfers last year. A donor could find that in the couch cushion if they were actually serious about the future of the Iowa wrestling program.

Also, Tom is not the second best coach of the era. He’s by far and away had the second best situation though, and he’s squandered it. You going to tell me guys like Koll and Tom Ryan couldn’t win one title in 14 years with all the resources and tradition at Iowa? Give me a break.
Unfortunately it’s the way it looks right now. I don’t like it either. Relationships are a tough thing to overcome.

Reactions: GlenHawk and el dub
Coleman is going to be the next coach. If he’s not, I will say I’m wrong. Won’t be the first time or the last.

That’s pennies. It’s a consideration, not a problem.

I said the door is still open and they are looking at options you said they are not and the position is filled so you can already admit your were wrong or don’t. Just dont make statements as a fact when you dont know.

He’d just won the NCAA title a year prior and lost a title due to covid in 2020. Stop being a MMQB.

Regardless, you can’t have a head under a 3 year contract. Like I said, not grasping that concept nullifies any other points.
Its odd the contract locks coaches in secured or cashes out if let go early but if they leave before contract is up no penalty.
You might need to find a new team to support.
love iowa sports. Not a fan of leadership. Even when JZ was HC and struggling i was still a huge fan of team and JZ. He was a respected class act like kirk F. I can tolerate mediocrity with that at times.

But when you put TT attitude, antics, behind scene BS most of you dont know, along with childish pouty angry behavior it gets old. Been to long time for change. Can only get better.

I said the door is still open and they are looking at options you said they are not and the position is filled so you can already admit your were wrong or don’t. Just dont make statements as a fact when you dont know.

I know what you’re saying. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m saying they aren’t.

This isn’t hard. 😂

The smell of desperation on this board makes it hard to breathe. Several random thoughts:
1. DT will not be your savior, and I doubt very much that he's Okie State's savior either. He might be Carl's successor some day, but there will be a long line for that job, and I'm not even sure that he will even be at the head of it by then. Carl has ten or fifteen more years, so buckle up.
2. At best case, making the job tougher for Tom Brands right now gets you nothing more than a super-defensive coach or another new face that can't beat the Nitwits either. I'm sure that he feels(smells) the heat(stink). Making tough calls is what an AD's job is all about, and I'm guessing that BG's on this. Sometimes, letting things go another year IS the best answer over the long haul.
3. Let's try not to use words that some others on this board find offensive (retard, etc.), even if they seemed "funny" thirty years ago. At best, they only undermine your argument. At worst, they alienate the ones who you are trying to convince.
4. For all you sky-is-falling folks out there, for whom not being #1 or #2 at NCAAs this year is a real crisis, the National Crisis hot line is 988. Mental health crises are real, even if the expressed causes seem trivial, and they may have other contributing factors. Let's all try to keep cool this summer.

No. They just have a different opinion than you. You don’t have to agree with it. Hell, I don’t agree with it. But no need to jump to this conclusion.
So are they of the opinion that two individual champions over the last 10 years is getting it done? How many other programs have had at least two champs in the last 10 years? And how many of them have the same resources and tradition that Iowa has?

TNT are flat out failing Iowa wrestling with their terrible decision making, and that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. You just have to open your eyes to see what’s right in front of you.

So are they of the opinion that two individual champions over the last 10 years is getting it done? How many other programs have had at least two champs in the last 10 years? And how many of them have the same resources and tradition that Iowa has?

TNT are flat out failing Iowa wrestling with their terrible decision making, and that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. You just have to open your eyes to see what’s right in front of you.

You’d have to ask them why they think he’s the guy to get us out of this. Why you’re asking me, I don’t know. 😂

Pro tip: Don’t try to convince someone who already agrees with you. It just makes you look nutty. I mean nuttier.

• Haha
Reactions: tiltman and el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT