ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Arizona schools, Colorado, Utah to meet with Big-12

Getting back to the thread subject...

I don't care if they do, or don't, add the Corner States to the Little 12, but just do it, and put a stop to the rumors. Every day a new "source" predicts this move, and nothing comes from it.

So you weren’t in the ‘ISU to the B1G’ camp like many others in your delusional fan base?

No, I was saying that we don't bring anything to the Big 10 business model and never have considering Iowa was already in the conference.

Regarding Dekkers he has lost something like 30 pounds since being at ISU. He's a big guy but he's pretty trim to be honest.

Reactions: mrcyfan
True Fran has never taken Iowa to the sweet 16. In my days of being a Hawk fan Iowa has had Sweet 16, Elite 8 and Final Four appearances. So while the current coach hasn’t achieved that level of success I have still experienced it.

isu fan has to enjoy seasons with less than 10 wins because isu fan has never known what it is like to have a 10 win season in football.

See the difference?

Besides all that isu fans don’t even slow down claiming their superiority over Iowa in Football. It is always a long list of excuses as to why Iowa’s success doesn’t really count and conversely why isu if things ignored or changed is more successful than Iowa. If the world would only ignore reality the way clown fans demand, things would be so much better for them.

Honestly I don't see the difference. It has nothing to do with something historical. Admittedly my favorite time as a Cyclone fan was the Hoiberg years. Just hard to explain how fun it was for me. That includes the two Tinsley seasons which are easily the high water mark for the program success wise.

Pollard has bigger problems... like trying to figure out how to fund an athletics program with limited funding.

Probably be begging the Iowa legislature for $$$.

Remember... the Iowa Governor is an ISU grad... kinda!

How will the funding be limited? Based on all estimates reported, the next TV contract will be more than the current one even with no further expansion.

How will the funding be limited? Based on all estimates reported, the next TV contract will be more than the current one even with no further expansion.

Only because of inflation ...they'll never get to Iowa's level of self-sustaining the entire AD off of fball.

That's what will eat at you and remind you of how you'll never fit into those big-boy pants.

I really don't care about this subject much, but are you saying that the next Big XII TV contract is looking to pay MORE PER TEAM (assuming the current 12-team future lineup) than the current contract which involves 10 teams including OK and TX? I have to call outright B.S. until you provide a reputable link to these "all estimates reported."

You really think ISU will see further facilities upgrades when they're making half of what schools like Iowa will make?

Maybe not within the next 2-3 years, but that will catch up to the Clone AD at some point.

Does Sukup have an bottomless checkbook?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Honestly I don't see the difference. It has nothing to do with something historical. Admittedly my favorite time as a Cyclone fan was the Hoiberg years. Just hard to explain how fun it was for me. That includes the two Tinsley seasons which are easily the high water mark for the program success wise.
The difference is that I can enjoy Iowa Basketball because I have seen the Hawks play in multiple sweet 16’s and elite 8’s and even a Final Four.

You can say you enjoy isu football even though isu has never won 10 games in a season which means isu has never really been that good.

You really think ISU will see further facilities upgrades when they're making half of what schools like Iowa will make?

Maybe not within the next 2-3 years, but that will catch up to the Clone AD at some point.

If the wealthiest supporters keep dumping their kids' inheritance they can. I know I have seen articles about Oregon that state even Knight can't do that forever with Oregon.

The difference is that I can enjoy Iowa Basketball because I have seen the Hawks play in multiple sweet 16’s and elite 8’s and even a Final Four.

You can say you enjoy isu football even though isu has never won 10 games in a season which means isu has never really been that good.
We are up to 4 home games sold out now, when do you think we will hear the Clones have sold out a home game?????

Did you not see that new bridge they built by Jack trice? That thing is like the Golden Gate Bridge of the Midwest it is so darn impressive.

We are up to 4 home games sold out now, when do you think we will hear the Clones have sold out a home game?????
Other 3 games all have less than 4-5 thousand as of Wednesday. JTS seats 61,500. So Iowa for every game already over that mark by a few thousand at least. Which is rare for Iowa to have games under that amount and with no Iowa or isu on the schedule who knows if isu will have a sellout. Before last season those were usually the only 2 schools they could routinely sell out and interesting enough one big 12 team they had prior was osu but unfortunately for them game is in Stillwater this year.

Is it like a draw bridge? Herd cattle across it to graze????
I had the same thought when I saw the pics... where is the chute? Have to give them credit for architectural integrity though. They stuck with the interstate highway theme (see Jack Trice scoreboard)...it looks like an Oasis over the freeway in Chicago.

iu

Last edited:
  • Love
Pollard will be giving some promo where you get one free tix when you buy one tix. Or... the local grocery store will give away tix for every purchase of a mustard or ketchup bottle... you know, school colors and all.

Pollard will be giving some promo where you get one free tix when you buy one tix. Or... the local grocery store will give away tix for every purchase of a mustard or ketchup bottle... you know, school colors and all.
They don't have singles on sale on their site yet. Says TBA. Jamie has to run some numbers yet.

ISU not only lives rent free in the heads of so many posters in this thread, they are throwing pool parties.
Murphy and Andy were poking fun at what would constitute as a solid majority of the posters here on the football board, mocking the Iowa fans that downplay the ISU rivalry by throwing out an arbitrary B10 game like Rutgers.

They did the same for ISU fans, fwiw, as they were talking about how triggered CyHawk fans truly are and how much they lie to others and to themselves about it.

Basically, all this energy spent overtly downplaying ISU, does in fact mean that they are in their heads and do mean something to them considering the amount of energy and time they are wasting to tell us how little "they mean to them" etc etc or whatever it is they're talking about regarding Iowa State.

Regardless, it's all entertainment either way...... :cool:

Honestly, if the B12 as it will be post-OU/UT and going forward, can at least land the Arizona schools, that would be big enough for them. They'll gain the Phoenix market and help to at least get a little closer to the West Coast, and be the next closest thing to a coast to coast league to the B10.

It's also an increasingly-known fact that the Arizona schools, Arizona in particular, aren't exactly tight with the rest of the West Coast programs.

Here's what the divisions could look like:

East-
Iowa State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
UCF
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

West-
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU

That's a conference that's at least on par with, if not better than, what the Big East was before the major realignments between 2012-2014.

I really don't care about this subject much, but are you saying that the next Big XII TV contract is looking to pay MORE PER TEAM (assuming the current 12-team future lineup) than the current contract which involves 10 teams including OK and TX? I have to call outright B.S. until you provide a reputable link to these "all estimates reported."

That's from March, so it's before the UCLA/USC.

That guy used the Navigate study to try and look at scenarios after the UCLA/USC move.

No, I was saying that we don't bring anything to the Big 10 business model and never have considering Iowa was already in the conference.

Regarding Dekkers he has lost something like 30 pounds since being at ISU. He's a big guy but he's pretty trim to be honest.

Dekkers provided a spark in that game, but I think Iowa went into more of a prevent defense when came in too. So it’s hard to say how good he was vs Iowa. The optics were that he looked better than Purdy.

That guy used the Navigate study to try and look at scenarios after the UCLA/USC move.
Interesting...if (being the operative word) these projections are correct, I can see an avenue to adding Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington to the B1G while giving each of the four teams more $$$ than they would get by staying in the Pac-12 (provided they would accept reduced, graduated payments from the B1G over ten years).

Yep and then clown fans will turn on a dime and state how much better it is to win 9 games in a lower level conference than winning 8 games in the Big Ten. You have to wonder how clown fans will cope with losing their beloved bogus Strength of Schedule argument. What will keep up their hope in the long college football off-season? My guess is they will re-watch their tremendous triumph over that highly ranked 4-3 Oregon team in the Fiesta Bowl.
I thought that Oregon team was 3-4?

Did they actually finish above .500?

Hey Bryce,

Can you answer a very simple question? Why do clown fans get so worked up about the former player committee that was in place only for KF’s use? Don’t clown fan understand it had no authority to make changes to the football program and was advisory only? Seems to me clown fans either refuse to understand the committee or just want to be the d-bags they always are.

Would love an honest response.

Last edited:
Interesting...if (being the operative word) these projections are correct, I can see an avenue to adding Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington to the B1G while giving each of the four teams more $$$ than they would get by staying in the Pac-12 (provided they would accept reduced, graduated payments from the B1G over ten years).
Reduced payouts in perpetuity. Why give them full even in 10 years.

That's some slow growth. My short term U.S. Treasuries grow faster than Big 12 TV revenue.

I guess maybe the $'s will go up a little, but everything is relative. This is like having all your $ in money market accounts throughout the '90s while your competitors were invested in blue chips. You can't possibly look at this and not come to the conclusion that the have-nots are staring at a major $ problem on the horizon.

Only because of inflation ...they'll never get to Iowa's level of self-sustaining the entire AD off of fball.

That's what will eat at you and remind you of how you'll never fit into those big-boy pants.
I agree ISU won't get to Iowa's revenue level, but it currently self-funds the entire AD and has for a long time.

That is not really a report, just someone with a google doc

The Big 12 was in a slightly better position than the Pac-12. It distributed about $38 million to each school in 2020, for example.

- That means about $380 million to distribute, with Oklahoma and Texas -

Without Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 lost about half its conference media rights value, former commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Texas Senate last year.

- That means it is around $200 million to distribute, without Oklahoma and Texas

To get to $44/million per team in 2025, that would men the amount to distribute would need to be $528 million. An increase of over $300 million, seems like a big increase. Should have added Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and BYU earlier for that level of return.

I agree ISU won't get to Iowa's revenue level, but it currently self-funds the entire AD and has for a long time.

I admit the last list of self-sustaining athletic departments I saw was quite a while ago (5+ yrs), but ISU wasn't on it. There were only ~20 schools on the list I think and Iowa was ranked fairly high if I recall. Perhaps the landscape has changed enough since then for ISU to make the list, but I wouldn't classify it as "a long time".

***EDIT***

I found a link to the list I was thinking of, and it's older than I thought (2011):

Only 22 schools at the time.

***EDIT #2***

Apparently another report in 2015 (based on 2013/14 data) bumped that number to 24 schools:

Last edited:
That is not really a report, just someone with a google doc

The Big 12 was in a slightly better position than the Pac-12. It distributed about $38 million to each school in 2020, for example.

- That means about $380 million to distribute, with Oklahoma and Texas -

Without Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 lost about half its conference media rights value, former commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the Texas Senate last year.

- That means it is around $200 million to distribute, without Oklahoma and Texas

To get to $44/million per team in 2025, that would men the amount to distribute would need to be $528 million. An increase of over $300 million, seems like a big increase. Should have added Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and BYU earlier for that level of return.
Yep, JeffreyFuller’s revised projections don’t account for the reduction to B12 with OUT departure. If those two are half the value as Bowlsby stated, these projections are significantly inflated.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
I admit the last list of self-sustaining athletic departments I saw was quite a while ago (5+ yrs), but ISU wasn't on it. There were only ~20 schools on the list I think and Iowa was ranked fairly high if I recall. Perhaps the landscape has changed enough since then for ISU to make the list, but I wouldn't classify it as "a long time".

***EDIT***

I found a link to the list I was thinking of, and it's older than I thought (2011):

***EDIT #2***

Apparently another report in 2015 (based on 2013/14 data) bumped that number to 24 schools:

Here is the most recent report/credible blog I could find, from this past January...apparently we're up to only 32 schools now that are "self sustaining":

"...within the FBS, while the highest-spending quartile of athletic departments (~32 schools) is over 100% self-sufficient"

It's a very comprehensive article with pie charts and everything. 🧐

***EDIT***

***EDIT #2***

For several years, the Iowa Legislature has required the ADs at Iowa and Iowa State to be self-financing. And they have been. UNI is not required to do so, and isn't. This was confirmed in news stories this week, prompted by the submission of budgets for the new fiscal year.

My guess is that the NCAA definition is different than the state of Iowa's. I don't know what the difference would be, but I see a reference in the story you linked to student fees, which might explain it, as I think ISU students pay an activity fee. If some of that goes to the AD, that could be the difference.

It's comical watching ISU fans trying to spin this realignment talk as a positive for the Big12.

I do think they're counting on the PAC 12 folding, which I don't believe is a given.

I think getting Sam Diego and maybe a Colorado State/Boise to join and getting them to take reduced shares for several years can save the conference and get a decent TV contract.

I also believe Big12 fans are overestimating what they're getting from adding Houston and the Florida school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT