ADVERTISEMENT

reports - Adam Wainwright done for the year

Sucks for the Cardinals. I hate to see a great player like that go down no matter who's uniform he's wearing.

Wainwright is a great guy, so I hate seeing this happen to him.

On the flip side, the Cubs probably pick up 3-4 games.

and Heyward left today with a leg or knee injury, still no announcement on nature or severity. Tough series in Milwaukee, Molina Friday, Waino Saturday for the season, Heyward today.

Division now wide open.

and Heyward left today with a leg or knee injury, still no announcement on nature or severity. Tough series in Milwaukee, Molina Friday, Waino Saturday for the season, Heyward today.

Division now wide open.
Heyward had tightness in his hamstring. Day to day. Sucks about Wainwright. They do have a lot of pitching but it will the division much more interesting.

I suppose you'll never have to worry about an AL pitcher hurting himself batting. Too bad for Wainwright.

I'm now warming to the DH in the NL because of this.

Cards' #1 choice for replacement would be Marco Gonzalez, but he has a tad bit of a pec issue and is on the 7 day DL at AAA...precautionary for the most part.

Looks like they need to cover Thursday's start only. Probably going to be Tyler Lyons I'd bet - who has started several games through the years for StL.

I'm now warming to the DH in the NL because of this.

Cards' #1 choice for replacement would be Marco Gonzalez, but he has a tad bit of a pec issue and is on the 7 day DL at AAA...precautionary for the most part.

Looks like they need to cover Thursday's start only. Probably going to be Tyler Lyons I'd bet - who has started several games through the years for StL.

Garcia should be back in another month or so. He can be a 2-3 WAR pitcher when healthy.

That's just it, he can't stay healthy. He's good for maybe 10 starts, then the shoulder wears down, and he's done for the year. Lately, he doesn't even last that long.

I believe he's better suited for long relief...but you can't pay a long reliever $8M a year evidently. I mean...I like the guy's stuff, but that shoulder just is not built for 30 starts...and apparently, not even for 10 starts considering we're 2 shoulder surgeries removed now.

Garcia should be back in another month or so. He can be a 2-3 WAR pitcher when healthy.
Is Garcia ever healthy? I wouldn't count on him for much as the guy is coming back from multiple arm injuries. The Cards still have quality pitching but they lost their anchor, and it hurts them depth wise. Their farm system isn't as loaded as it was a couple of years ago. The Cubs haven't even played great baseball and are only a game out. I'd still put money on the Cards winning the division (because they have voodoo magic) but the Cubs chances have greatly improved with Wainwright's injury.

I smell a deal coming...and it'll probably take some of Gonzalez/Kaminsky/Reyes and Piscotty to do it. I bet Mo has Ruben Amaro on speed dial. They got good young arms...only one is at Memphis currently and the rest are a couple years away yet.

They have the room to add salary, but St. Louis bends over backwards to not deal prospects usually unless they have a lot of the same things in the system.

I remember Augie Busch dealing him because he had the gall to ask for $10k more a year on his contract...and they traded him for the stiff known to the world as Rick Wise. Carlton twice had salary disputes with a billionaire over roughly $40,000 total.

I got to see him pitch twice his last year in St. Louis...if my memory is good he went 20-9 and more or less became the ace over Gibby that year.

And we all know what happened the next year with Carlton.

If my memory is still good, ol' Augie dismantled the team in the 70's indirectly because of the Curt Flood fiasco. He got rid of just about everybody making any decent money other than Lou Brock, Gibby, and Ted Simmons.

Jose Cruz...they just released him. Went on to become an all star with Houston shortly after. Larry Herndon and Jerry Mumphrey were coming up through the ranks and went on to play for a decade in the majors, pretty good players. GAVE them away.

I remember Augie Busch dealing him because he had the gall to ask for $10k more a year on his contract...and they traded him for the stiff known to the world as Rick Wise. Carlton twice had salary disputes with a billionaire over roughly $40,000 total.

I got to see him pitch twice his last year in St. Louis...if my memory is good he went 20-9 and more or less became the ace over Gibby that year.

And we all know what happened the next year with Carlton.

If my memory is still good, ol' Augie dismantled the team in the 70's indirectly because of the Curt Flood fiasco. He got rid of just about everybody making any decent money other than Lou Brock, Gibby, and Ted Simmons.

Jose Cruz...they just released him. Went on to become an all star with Houston shortly after. Larry Herndon and Jerry Mumphrey were coming up through the ranks and went on to play for a decade in the majors, pretty good players. GAVE them away.

thanks for answering. Care to compare lefty and gibby in their primes? Also, who was the best position player you've seen in your time?

thanks for answering. Care to compare lefty and gibby in their primes? Also, who was the best position player you've seen in your time?

Hard for me to compare because Carlton left when I was 9, and Gibby's prime was also slightly before my time. Lefty versus righty too. I'd almost say if I had a 1968 Gibson and a 1972 Carlton to choose from, I'd probably go with Carlton merely because he was left handed. But they are two of the best pitching season ever.

They're the best two Cards of each side of the mound in my lifetime, that much I know. By the time I saw Gibson, he was on his way down in effectiveness from the enormous workload he withstood - plus age. I think a better comparison to Gibson might be a completely healthy Chris Carpenter.

Positional player that I saw? Hmmm. Probably a young Dave Parker with Pittsburgh. I saw a series with him in StL and he seemingly single-handedly won all 3 games against a pretty good Cards team. I remember this throw he had that to this day I think compares with some of the missiles that Jesse Barfield and Rick Ankiel unleashed through the years. Right field corner to home plate on the fly. And he seemed to crush every AB the whole series.

I didn't see this, but remember the play by play with Shannon and Buck. He once, and this is no lie, straight out of The Natural - hit the cover off the ball. It was a single up the middle and from what Shannon said the ball had a seam torn when it was thrown back to the infield. The players were all standing around in the infield looking at it. Back then there was no regularly televised TV broadcast, but they had closed circuit in-stadium covering the action and he said the ball looked like it had a flap torn on it - like Parker hit it directly on the seam and it split right down the middle of the seam.

Hard for me to compare because Carlton left when I was 9, and Gibby's prime was also slightly before my time. Lefty versus righty too. I'd almost say if I had a 1968 Gibson and a 1972 Carlton to choose from, I'd probably go with Carlton merely because he was left handed. But they are two of the best pitching season ever.

They're the best two Cards of each side of the mound in my lifetime, that much I know. By the time I saw Gibson, he was on his way down in effectiveness from the enormous workload he withstood - plus age. I think a better comparison to Gibson might be a completely healthy Chris Carpenter.

Positional player that I saw? Hmmm. Probably a young Dave Parker with Pittsburgh. I saw a series with him in StL and he seemingly single-handedly won all 3 games against a pretty good Cards team. I remember this throw he had that to this day I think compares with some of the missiles that Jesse Barfield and Rick Ankiel unleashed through the years. Right field corner to home plate on the fly. And he seemed to crush every AB the whole series.

I didn't see this, but remember the play by play with Shannon and Buck. He once, and this is no lie, straight out of The Natural - hit the cover off the ball. It was a single up the middle and from what Shannon said the ball had a seam torn when it was thrown back to the infield. The players were all standing around in the infield looking at it. Back then there was no regularly televised TV broadcast, but they had closed circuit in-stadium covering the action and he said the ball looked like it had a flap torn on it - like Parker hit it directly on the seam and it split right down the middle of the seam.
The other thing that makes it difficult to compare the two pitchers is Gibby pitched his prime years in the raised mound era. If you look at the pitching numbers during those years it's really quite amazing.

A friend of mine saw Gibson during spring training before he had reached the majors. It was a spring training game with the Yanks and he went down to watch the Cardinal pitchers warming up. He saw this big young kid throwing bullets and he asked someone who he was because he hadn't seen someone throw so hard. The guy told my friend that it was Bob Gibson and that he was going to be a star someday.

Those two by Ankiel in one game are probably the best I've ever seen. If I recall, Vlad and Ichiro both had cannons as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT