ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds’ voucher program will cost Iowa taxpayers over $200 million in year two

Lone Tree, Columbus Community, Muscatine, Ottumwa, Marshalltown, Denison, Perry...

Fact is that Iowa has elected the Gov they have. I would never vote for someone wearing a MAGA shirt. The fact is that if you are one of those schools, your white child is or will be soon a minority. Not saying it's bad or good, but a fact.

The fact is that those with education and some money will move. They may leave anyway.

But the reasons Kim was elected in part are not so much school vouchers but the reasons for school vouchers.

Iowa's population has been stagnant (white) and the only growth is minorities. Gangs are growing and more mid sized cities will struggle with issues that confront Rockford, Champaign/Urbana, Decatur, Danville, Kankakee and others. You will see it in larger communites and along the Amtrak corridor in addition to meat packing/others.

It's easy to laugh at Illinois, but Iowa will have the same/near the same issues that IL has outside of Chicago.

Focusing on the cost of vouchers is like shutting the windows of your house so it doesn't get wet while an F3 tornado is about to strike.

Calling me racist (which I am not) won't help. The issue needs to be fully understood to be fully addressed.
I don't really understand what you believe is the problem, it seems to have something to do with race. Are you suggesting people are leaving Iowa because of our minority population? How do you suggest addressing this problem you see?

I don't really understand what you believe is the problem, it seems to have something to do with race. Are you suggesting people are leaving Iowa because of our minority population? How do you suggest addressing this problem you see?
He's indirectly hinting at what most White Nationalists in RedStates fear the most...Brown people moving here.

Truly disgusting.

The complexity of flight / lack of white population growth is complex. Parents don't want the vouchers just for the tax break incentive. They want to leave the local school for reasons. I stated the main reasons for that. Though I think CB has made great strides, if you are middle class where do you want your kids to go to school. Like it or not, CB is heavily Catholic. Having PP come into a school to teach sex ed isn't what they want (keep in mind where PP makes it's money).

Most parents would want LGBT students protected. They don't want programs basically promoting it.

I taught in one of the pilot schools in the nation. I can't remember the name of it. In a few years the small rural school was awash in student drug abuser. I had 7 kids in one of my classes and 5 were gone through the year for drug rehab. It was basically a self esteem class and the main point was for the students to make the choice best for them regardless of what anyone (which included parents) said.

Ignore the basic point of what I am saying, but solid families will leave communities without options for their kids. Schools with changing demographics still need those families around. If not someone will model it. It is how gangs are formed. That small rural school basically became gang like.

He's indirectly hinting at what most White Nationalists in RedStates fear the most...Brown people moving here.

Truly disgusting.
Nope not at all for me, but it is how some think. My community was 100 percent white and now minorities are sacrificing to move in due to schools and to get away from gangs. It's a good thing, but the decimation in the city schools is loud.

You exactly represent why reasonable dialog can't be done. It's because you are a radical cultist. My mom actually welcomed Roger Maxwell into our community a very long time ago. I grew up in a family that was open to race. You are entirely wrong.

Go ahead and be a leftist cultist and see where things end up without reasonable dialog. School Choice wouldn't be an issue if schools were more responsive and instead they get caught between MAGA types and the hard left.

Ostrich

Don't expect an intelligent response from Rico on this one.

The percentage of voucher $$$ going to parents who were already sending their kids to private schools will dwarf the number of new private school students.
The scary part is Reynolds knows she doesn't have the $$$ to fund ESA past the 3rd year of the program.
All hell will break loose by the 26/27 school year.
It's a win win for all families. Now many of the families who had to work 3 or 4 jobs in order to scrap together enough to send their children to private schools can use the vouchers and quit working those other jobs.

Reactions: Pinehawk

Truly disgusting.
I mean that's what I'm getting from his posts,but I want to give him a chance to explain. If people are leaving Iowa because our minority population is too large where are they moving? There can't be too many states with a lower minority population are there?
The complexity of flight / lack of white population growth is complex. Parents don't want the vouchers just for the tax break incentive. They want to leave the local school for reasons. I stated the main reasons for that. Though I think CB has made great strides, if you are middle class where do you want your kids to go to school. Like it or not, CB is heavily Catholic. Having PP come into a school to teach sex ed isn't what they want (keep in mind where PP makes it's money).

Most parents would want LGBT students protected. They don't want programs basically promoting it.

I taught in one of the pilot schools in the nation. I can't remember the name of it. In a few years the small rural school was awash in student drug abuser. I had 7 kids in one of my classes and 5 were gone through the year for drug rehab. It was basically a self esteem class and the main point was for the students to make the choice best for them regardless of what anyone (which included parents) said.

Ignore the basic point of what I am saying, but solid families will leave communities without options for their kids. Schools with changing demographics still need those families around. If not someone will model it. It is how gangs are formed. That small rural school basically became gang like.
Certainly not my experience teaching in rural Iowa. The only gangs I've had to deal with were cliques of kids that have been told they're better than others.

Where are these people fleeing to when they leave Iowa?

Nope not at all for me, but it is how some think. My community was 100 percent white and now minorities are sacrificing to move in due to schools and to get away from gangs. It's a good thing, but the decimation in the city schools is loud.

You exactly represent why reasonable dialog can't be done. It's because you are a radical cultist. My mom actually welcomed Roger Maxwell into our community a very long time ago. I grew up in a family that was open to race. You are entirely wrong.

Go ahead and be a leftist cultist and see where things end up without reasonable dialog. School Choice wouldn't be an issue if schools were more responsive and instead they get caught between MAGA types and the hard left.

Ostrich

The leadership is a part of and voted on by the community. The responsiveness of the administration and teachers is largely an extremely localized issue and has been since public education became a part of our culture.

Spoonbill stork.

Reactions: gohawks50
It's a win win for all families. Now many of the families who had to work 3 or 4 jobs in order to scrap together enough to send their children to private schools can use the vouchers and quit working those other jobs.
You are making a ridiculous claim with absolutely no way to validate it.

Trying to blow smoke up our asses might be your hobby, but no one believes you.

Those families aren't accepted by private schools. Unless they are good at sports.

• Sad

The percentage of voucher $$$ going to parents who were already sending their kids to private schools will dwarf the number of new private school students.
The scary part is Reynolds knows she doesn't have the $$$ to fund ESA past the 3rd year of the program.
I never do. The questions just highlight his idiocy.

I mean that's what I'm getting from his posts,but I want to give him a chance to explain. If people are leaving Iowa because our minority population is too large where are they moving? There can't be too many states with a lower minority population are there?

Certainly not my experience teaching in rural Iowa. The only gangs I've had to deal with were cliques of kids that have been told they're better than others.

Where are these people fleeing to when they leave Iowa?
IMO, college grads are obviously leaving for better opportunities and older, rural Iowans are just dying.
I doubt people in the cities he mentioned have the means/education to just pack up and leave.

So the percentage of minorities is increasing simply because old white people die.

Serious question: Have the # of special needs kids/autistic, etc within the state of Iowa consistently increased over say the last 20 or 30 years? My kids are all out of school and it’s certainly been a long time since I was in school; however, I don’t remember special needs/autistic kids being a large # back in the “old” days.
It's much larger than it used to be. Large number of reasons and it is real. Gut health is a huge one with damage from chemicals. The obesity issue isn't just being big, it represents large scale body damage including the brain. Injections likely don't help.

And you seem to have no care about the bigger picture.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
The leadership is a part of and voted on by the community. The responsiveness of the administration and teachers is largely an extremely localized issue and has been since public education became a part of our culture.

Spoonbill stork.
No it has changed. It used to be that Supt's worked for the Board. Supt's now have boards implementing their policy.

It's much larger than it used to be. Large number of reasons and it is real. Gut health is a huge one with damage from chemicals. The obesity issue isn't just being big, it represents large scale body damage including the brain. Injections likely don't help.
Interesting…I wasn’t aware of that.

Serious question: Have the # of special needs kids/autistic, etc within the state of Iowa consistently increased over say the last 20 or 30 years? My kids are all out of school and it’s certainly been a long time since I was in school; however, I don’t remember special needs/autistic kids being a large # back in the “old” days.
I don't know how long your kids have been out of school, but the requirements changed for the amount of time special needs kids have to spend in the "regular" classroom. Back in 1982 when I started teaching those kids spent the majority of their time in the special ed room. Now the entire system has changed to supporting children in their classroom. In other words, the population may have increased or it may just seem that way because of instead of being taught in their own special classroom, they are receiving the majority of their education in class with their age group peers.

• Sad
IMO, college grads are obviously leaving for better opportunities and older, rural Iowans are just dying.
I doubt people in the cities he mentioned have the means/education to just pack up and leave.

So the percentage of minorities is increasing simply because old white people die.
I don't think our population is decreasing due to white flight, I think it has more to do with opportunities and amenities offered in other larger population areas.

No it has changed. It used to be that Supt's worked for the Board. Supt's now have boards implementing their policy.

That is an opinion that does not align with the structure of Iowa public Ed. The citizens of districts that find that to be the case have only themselves to blame, and will ultimately be the only people that can do anything to change the situation.

Opinion time... when this experiment goes tits up as it is with similar programs in other states and the pain starts, the voters that helped facilitate this reactionary mess will double down and work to have even less local control over our schools.

That is an opinion that does not align with the structure of Iowa public Ed. The citizens of districts that find that to be the case have only themselves to blame, and will ultimately be the only people that can do anything to change the situation.

Opinion time... when this experiment goes tits up as it is with similar programs in other states and the pain starts, the voters that helped facilitate this reactionary mess will double down and work to have even less local control over our schools.
Iowa public ed model is out of touch, encouraging way too small districts to stay open. Also, I am certified in 2 states, but don't come close to being certified in Iowa or Nebby which is crazy given the teacher shortage. Have a MS in Ed with plenty of experience.

They to be frank are quite arrogant.

Iowa public ed model is out of touch, encouraging way too small districts to stay open. Also, I am certified in 2 states, but don't come close to being certified in Iowa or Nebby which is crazy given the teacher shortage. Have a MS in Ed with plenty of experience.

Dude, I have to be done trying to talk to you.

You're all over the place and it's impossible to keep straight whether you're gate-keeping based on your increasingly complex life experiences and or arguing a point that nobody made. It's a little sad, because you seem to have interesting perspectives when you stay on topic, write in full thoughts and don't non sequitur into odd correlations you've made internally.

Reactions: Tom Paris

I thought you posted earlier you were a writer for some publication.

Actually I am and if you follow farm publications you've proly seen my work. I'm also a published author of history. In my personal life, I hate to proof my stuff. Kind of burnt out with it. To be honest, I've never actually read one of my published books and don't like to read my articles. However, they do pretty well. I also should never post using my phone.

I"m as serious as I can be.

Reactions: globalhawk
I thought you posted earlier you were a writer for some publication.
I work now in higher ed for a Big Ten U and get articles in major ag publications. If you are in ag you've likely read some of my articles. Recently (I didn't write it) I was interviewed by Bloomberg rather extensively. I've been on the front page of yahoo news.

I was thinking of moving closer to my kids in Iowa and looked into teaching. To support my job in higher ed, I manage farms for which I need and have a managing broker's license. Iowa doesn't accept my state's licenses reciprocally so I gave up on it as I didn't want to got through the coursework again for teaching and real estate. There are a host of states that take my license.

Basically I work in both the public and private sector of ag as well as I write history.

Dude, I have to be done trying to talk to you.

You're all over the place and it's impossible to keep straight whether you're gate-keeping based on your increasingly complex life experiences and or arguing a point that nobody made. It's a little sad, because you seem to have interesting perspectives when you stay on topic, write in full thoughts and don't non sequitur into odd correlations you've made internally.
Well actually I do stay on topic but my humor is something like Newhart.

My writing style is like I write professionally (though I don't pay attention to grammar here) designed to make people think. Most of the discussions here aren't discussions but just arguing hard left or MAGA of which I am neither. I get some enjoyment out of getting in the heads of MAGA or hard left. Politically I am neither right or left but have tendency on both sides. Ardently pro life with exceptions that are reasonable. Marched in BLM. In commercial ag, but am more environmentally aware than many.

If you think I am not on topic, think a little deeper or just plain ask. Like a little while ago someone thought I was against older people service in office and I'm not at all, but I took shots at Nancy, Joe and Chuck while digging at h hawk mostly and his stand on Ukraine, which I really have extensively traveled. I am staunchly pro Ukraine but against Joe's and Vlad's war over Donbas.

Dig deeper. Think Newhart with a touch of Far Side. Takes awhile to get Far Side sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT