ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds’ voucher program will cost Iowa taxpayers over $200 million in year two

Interesting. Don’t you think @Pinehawk ??
Yeah, that's not true. They haven't even hit the zero income restriction part of the new law.
And, the School Board is not making individual admissions decisions.
But, they will eventually need to restrict admissions, because the school will be full soon. And, then they'll need to close 'open enrollment/admissions', just like full public schools do. So, get in while you can.
Last years senior class was about 55 kids. The incoming 7th grade class this fall is expected to be around 80-85 kids.

Last edited:
You just don’t get it. Schools pick whom they want to admit. No way Regina or other private schools are all of the sudden admitting a bunch of kids from working class/middle class families, especially if they are minorities. Clearly, you are a sucker.
They have absolutely admitted many new minority students. Many Hispanic students, who have religious families, and who have expressed gratitude for the opportunity that they could not afford before. Compare this springs soccer roster to last years roster if you don't believe me.
It's going to be funny to read all of these, 'they don't admit any minorities!' posts. Which will soon become, 'they brought in all these minorities just for sports!' posts in these coming years.

If the parents sued the district I’m pretty sure they would win. Or at least force the district to pay transportation costs.
The district does pay transportation costs. I’m not arguing that they don’t. I was only responding to the claim that public schools can’t refuse special needs kids. They can. It was you and Joe that responded. Joe feels I wasn’t being honest. I stated I’m not defending Reynolds or vouchers. I’m on your side on this one.

This is a shame. This should have been needs based forever. This will be the downfall of Reynolds imo.

They have absolutely admitted many new minority students. Many Hispanic students, who have religious families, and who have expressed gratitude for the opportunity that they could not afford before. Compare this springs soccer roster to last years roster if you don't believe me.
It's going to be funny to read all of these, 'they don't admit any minorities!' posts. Which will soon become, 'they brought in all these minorities just for sports!' posts in these coming years.
"They take minorities when they are good at sports"

Reactions: fsu1jreed
School choice should be the law of the land. caring parents deserve to be given a choice where their children get educated and that state should pay the bill for it.

OUR MONEY OUR CHOICE!
So you're saying, in Iowa, if a kid and his family choose to go to private school they will be able to? No other requirements? Complete choice by the parents/student?

This will be fun.

Subsidized is putting it mildly. They are 100% funded by taxpayers who are now demanding choice to avoid the hopeless cabal of educational unions and nearly 100% political party capture. CA just sent another message with their latest LAW regarding sexual identification of students at school again dividing parents (taxpayers) and schools (tax recipients). Big, big changes are necessary for local control to again make sense. The federal department of education is a political freak show.
This might make sense if it was the taxpayer who had the choice. They don't. The school does.

How about we make this fair - every student who wants to go to a private school goes into a lottery and the attendees are randomly chosen? Everyone had an equal opportunity.

Lol - that will never happen because the Karen's and Kevin's will scream bloody murder.

The district does pay transportation costs. I’m not arguing that they don’t. I was only responding to the claim that public schools can’t refuse special needs kids. They can. It was you and Joe that responded. Joe feels I wasn’t being honest. I stated I’m not defending Reynolds or vouchers. I’m on your side on this one.
The district doesn't refuse them.

Reactions: Joes Place
What percentage of those receiving vouchers are kids that were in public school the previous year?
No idea. But, it doesn't matter to me. Every child in Iowa should receive an education credit for school, no matter if that school is public or private. The governments interest should be in educating every child, regardless of which school they chose to attend.

No idea. But, it doesn't matter to me. Every child in Iowa should receive an education credit for school, no matter if that school is public or private. The governments interest should be in educating every child, regardless of which school they chose to attend.
Of course it doesn't matter to you - you're benefitting. **** everyone else. Fact is the vast majority of students receiving this voucher subsidy were already attending private school. It is notfunding a "better" choice for them it is subsidizing their parents.

Every child already receives an education credit to attend public schools.

You keep perpetuating the lie that it is the family/child making the choice. It is not. It is the school making the choice.

Would you support a lottery to choose who gets the spots in a private school to make it more fair?

That's called a free market. If you don't like what the product is then you go somewhere else that you do like. IMO, the public schools have forgotten this and wanted to force the community into what the wanted and didn't listen to what the community wanted. With the new program it give the parents the option to pick who educates their children and not the Government. This isn't 1935 Russia and the smaller the Government the better off the USA is.
Aren't these students receiving government funds though? They don't like the public school policy but they like government money. I know you are just arguing to argue but think through your responses. A free market student is not entitled to government funds to attend a private school. You do you, Sparky.

The district does pay transportation costs. I’m not arguing that they don’t. I was only responding to the claim that public schools can’t refuse special needs kids. They can.

They cannot. Another public school was required to take the kid.
NOT a "private school".

Reactions: Tom Paris
The governments interest should be in educating every child, regardless of which school they chose to attend.

Then why are we funneling more money to private school kids than public schools?
When public schools have to take the special needs kids that cost 3x-4x more per kid, the overall amounts for the regular kids in public schools are far less than they will be at the private schools NOT required to take any of the special needs kids.

I've explained this to you several times, already.

So you're saying, in Iowa, if a kid and his family choose to go to private school they will be able to? No other requirements? Complete choice by the parents/student?

This will be fun.
Yes

Which private schools have accepted Down Syndrome, autistic and developmentally disabled kids?
Name them.
Shit, name ONE...

Yes

Which private schools have accepted Down Syndrome, autistic and developmentally disabled kids?
Name them.
Shit, name ONE...
Don't even need to go that far - which ones are accepting nondenominational, average students who are not potential HS athletes?

You and I have a different meaning of “refuse” then. They ship kids to a different district because they don’t want a Special Needs program.
No. They coordinate within the public school system to serve their needs. That's one of the main functions of the AEA. Coincidentally Reynolds is cutting funding for them as well.

Which private schools are accepting special needs children?

Then why are we funneling more money to private school kids than public schools?
When public schools have to take the special needs kids that cost 3x-4x more per kid, the overall amounts for the regular kids in public schools are far less than they will be at the private schools NOT required to take any of the special needs kids.

I've explained this to you several times, already.
He doesn’t care since his school is grifting. But remember, they took in 3 Mexican kids and 2 African Americans last year.

This will be fun.
School choice should be the law of the land. caring parents deserve to be given a choice where their children get educated and that state should pay the bill for it.

No. They coordinate within the public school system to serve their needs. That's one of the main functions of the AEA. Coincidentally Reynolds is cutting funding for them as well.

Which private schools are accepting special needs children?
I never said that they are. I’m not defending any of this. My wife works for the AEA. I’m fully aware of Reynolds is doing.

Then why would you be claiming public schools are refusing special needs kids? That's nonsense.
I said I know of one that does and I spelled it out for everyone in my first post. They choose to not have a program so they ship them to another district. You choose to take my reply and twist it. So you don’t like the word refuse. Fine. They accept these kids then ship them to another district along with $$$.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT