ADVERTISEMENT

Riding?

CatCoach

HR All-State
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
We need desperate help on top. We haven’t been able to ride any of the top teams for years. PSU gets that Blair ride or puts legs in and beats us up all night.
But anytime they went down they got out in seconds??
Why are we not better on top?

Reactions: el dub
We need desperate help on top. We haven’t been able to ride any of the top teams for years. PSU gets that Blair ride or puts legs in and beats us up all night.
But anytime they went down they got out in seconds??
Why are we not better on top?
Not enough pressure on the lower body.

PSU wrestlers are always able to get their legs under them and power up making our guys look like weight room chumps.

Technique can only get you so far in 2024...........

Reactions: TtotheL
they are simply better wrestlers
I understand neutral. They are quicker, stronger and finish really effectively, but top work can be a great equalizer.
You can take a guy with less natural ability and make him a grinder on top. I realize we are not as good as PSU on our feet, so let’s get better on the mat. Start recruiting more leg riders, more hammers on top??
Just thinking of some ways we can close the gap. And the better we get on top, the better our bottom work becomes.

Reactions: eb05
East coast guys ride different than Iowa kids.

Why we need a David Taylor type of coach.

He could teach a crab ride with his eyes closed.
Iowa guys don’t ride unless your name is Spencer Lee. Mike Evans could ride ya until they turned the lights out when he first showed up, couldn’t ride a mall pony when he graduated. Woods has regressed a ton on top. One of our top ranked wrestlers in Franek couldn’t hold a kid down for 3 seconds to win the match just last week. We are horrendous on top most of the time.

Iowa guys don’t ride unless your name is Spencer Lee. Mike Evans could ride ya until they turned the lights out when he first showed up, couldn’t ride a mall pony when he graduated. Woods has regressed a ton on top. One of our top ranked wrestlers in Franek couldn’t hold a kid down for 3 seconds to win the match just last week. We are horrendous on top most of the time.
the evans riding devolution was so frustrating. he was cranking over AA quality opponents early in his career. by his final season, he was the poster child of the “drop to the leg” top stalling.

Getting out on bottom is as much mental as physical. You have to get the mentality that no one can hold you down. Then start creating motion, movement, and eventually gain some separation. Listen to many of the Penn State guys talk about Casey, Cael, or Cody riding them for 30 minutes at a time. Then saying good job you will be a champion someday. Quinten Wright has some great stories about it. Ed Ruth as well. Turning from top is also a skill. Honestly, I blame the emphasis on freestyle at a young age teaching kids they don't need to learn mat skills. Star out and wait for the whistle doesn't work in folkstyle. Another problem is many of these kids are never challenged as wrestlers until Fargo, Super 32, or Beast of the East. Most are good enough to win state tournaments with half speed in most states. California, PA, NJ and a few other notable exceptions. Idaho for example has 4 divisions and less than 2 million people. Doesn't mean we don't have the rare stud wrestler (Ridge Lovett) come out but most state champions are way over valued. I think more kids should focus on getting better than winning. Winning will come when you continually improve. Sometimes improving means moving up a weight. Just some random ramblings from a washed up never was that followed sons and a daughter wrestling.

I think one thing that makes them great on top is that they are always on top. 20 takedowns to 5. I am only kidding to some degree. They have great wrestlers period. They are good in all three positions. Dominating riding just shows up but they are good at everything they do, not just riding,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT