ADVERTISEMENT

ROY - WNBA

With regard to her pace, this last game against the Liberty reminded me of this year's game against SC. Just just came out cooking, but everything was max effort and it was just not sustainable. It is nice now that Boston is playing great, and Mitchell pretty well to shoulder the scoring load when that happens.
You're right, it was just like the championship game. She used up so much energy at the start of both games

Well, if it wasn't obvious before, perusing the sports channels today and on social media, the push is well under way to "keep" Angel Reese in the conversation for ROTY, with several using their platforms to name her as the leader at this point of the season.

Their reasonings may be severely flawed, but hey as long as they put Reese's name as the frontrunner, that's all that matters to the gullible casual masses.............

GSAaKzBawAAOC8D

I found this amusing: "Based on the style of play and the caliber of finishing – or inability – of the WNBA in the paint, I would argue it’s much easier to get rebounds as a player of Angel Reese’s size and strength, than it is to get assists with girls who could not catch a cold buck naked in Antarctica."

I thought the W was just incompetent but I don't know, they really might trying to actively undermine Caitlin. She is averaging 1.4 steals per game, virtually the same as AR, but they substitute her TOs for steals. Meanwhile, for a stat meaningful for a post player - blocks per game - Caitlin is averaging .8 as guard while AR is only averaging .4.

Up 7 with 8 seconds left, AR calls for the ball so an Atlanta player can grab her and send her to the line for 2 shots. She made both tu get to 11.

I guess I never knew double doubles were such a big deal. It's remarkably lame for an opponent to assist you in breaking a record or continuing a streak. I'm guessing Joe D didn't get many 60mph fast balls on his way to 56.

It is carved in stone that a way, any way, will be found to give Bayou Barbie the ROY award.

If Clark consistently plays up to her ability over the second part of the season, she'll very likely win ROY. Reese is a valuable player inside, and double-doubles are fine, but she can't compete with Clark's multiple stat performance (points, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks). Clark will finish the season with a bunch of rookie records, and she may lead the league in assists. It will be difficult for the voters to not choose her.

Caitlin is currently top 15 in the WNBA in 4 of the 5 main statistics categories, and top 20 in the last category. But she is not "quite ready physically to perform at the highest level in the league", right Geno?

Points/gm - 13th
Assists/gm - 2nd
Steals/gm - 13th
Blocks/gm - 15th
Rebounds/gm - 19th

I'm even surprised by how well she has performed given the focus she gets from defenses. I might have hoped for top 20 or top 25 in points and assists her rookie year, but I never would have thought she'd be anywhere near top 20 in steals, blocks and rebounds. I've come to expect that she will get screwed over for ROY based upon an overemphasis of importance of her turnovers, and bs celebrating of a forward getting points/rebounds double doubles, but if she maintains or improves on these numbers, only an idiot can deny that she is not only the best rookie this year, but that she is having one of the all-time best rookie seasons in the history of the clown ass wnba.

Caitlin is currently top 15 in the WNBA in 4 of the 5 main statistics categories, and top 20 in the last category. But she is not "quite ready physically to perform at the highest level in the league", right Geno?

Points/gm - 13th
Assists/gm - 2nd
Steals/gm - 13th
Blocks/gm - 15th
Rebounds/gm - 19th

I'm even surprised by how well she has performed given the focus she gets from defenses. I might have hoped for top 20 or top 25 in points and assists her rookie year, but I never would have thought she'd be anywhere near top 20 in steals, blocks and rebounds. I've come to expect that she will get screwed over for ROY based upon an overemphasis of importance of her turnovers, and bs celebrating of a forward getting points/rebounds double doubles, but if she maintains or improves on these numbers, only an idiot can deny that she is not only the best rookie this year, but that she is having one of the all-time best rookie seasons in the history of the clown ass wnba.
And her stats are trending up as she picks up steam with her teammates getting better at receiving and converting passes. More assists and less turnovers. I think she could pretty easily average double doubles with pts/assists from here on out.

Points/gm - 13th
Assists/gm - 2nd
Steals/gm - 13th
Blocks/gm - 15th
Rebounds/gm - 19th

FIFY

Reactions: MplsHawk
I don't understand the ire directed towards Angel ... she's a darn fine player.

It's true that her shooting percentage is lower than it should be. However, she scores, she rebounds well, and she defends well.

Caitlin does a lot of things well ... but obviously defense is one of her weaknesses. That is why I suppose that she's been more opportunistic and has tried for more steals.

Both players are great. However, I don't think that it is really possible to truly judge them in a side-by-side comparison because they're such different players.
Because Angel does things like today. That whole last 10 seconds of the Sky game were ridiculous. Keeping her shady but much talked about double double streak alive

Because Angel does things like today. That whole last 10 seconds of the Sky game were ridiculous. Keeping her shady but much talked about double double streak alive

You absolutely nailed it.

Angel was stuck on 9 points and 13 rebounds. Watch the video below & note the score and time left (15 seconds).

Chicago was up 7, had the ball, and 99.999% of the time the team leading would just dribble out the clock.

But no! As everyone can see, Angel was desperate, demanding the ball, and had to get that double double.

She got fouled, hit both FTs and ended up with 11 points & 13 rebounds.

What a joke, indeed.

And her stats are trending up as she picks up steam with her teammates getting better at receiving and converting passes. More assists and less turnovers. I think she could pretty easily average double doubles with pts/assists from here on out.
You are so right about the trend line for CC. By way of example, before today's games, CC was behind Reese in each of the following advanced stats for the season:

PER-player efficiency rating, an advanced statistic to estimate the per minute value of a player from box score stats

PER*Minutes, an estimate of the total value created by a player in their minutes played with their per minute value estimated via PER.

Win Shares, an advanced statistic that approximates the total number of wins a player produces for their team through their play on the offensive and defensive ends of the court.

CC has been closing the gap on Reese, and passed her today in PER*minutes, while still being behind Reese in PER and Win Shares.

But I would pump the brakes on CC averaging a points/assists double double for the remaining 17 regular season games. I realize 17 games is a little less than half of a season, but only 2 players (Ticha Penicheiro and C. Vandersloot [6 times]) in the history of the WNBA have averaged 8 or more assists per game for a whole season. And only 1 player (1 time) has averaged 10 assists per game for a whole season. So 10 APG for the remaining 17 games is a pretty big ask.

You can be bitter without or saying moronic things, or just making shit up. Like bob feller. Bitter as the day was long. But he didn’t say stupid things. At least not to my knowledge.
Magic's comments related to the hazing he experienced when he joined the league ... and was comparing it to the hazing that Caitlin was experiencing.

Nothing Magic said was stupid ... pretty good comments, actually.

However, my reply before related to the fact that Sheryl certainly said stupid things before. So have many folks on these boards (myself included ... occasionally).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT