ADVERTISEMENT

Same But Different

Not sure I understand this thread, or Munoz's memory.
He was an NCAA qualifier at 184 pounds in 1998 and 1999. Then placed 3rd at 197 in 2000 and was the NCAA champion at 197 in 2001.
He moved up a single weight class, as a junior, and that move was most probably to get away from Sanderson.
If you include true freshman seasons, history is littered with people moving up more than a single weight class many did ok, many did not.
But to make it sound like he moved up two weight classes is hard to debate as in NCAA recognized, sanction and "eligible" matches he only wrestled at 184 (old 177 plus the 7 pound hydration allowance given that year when they changed weigh in procedures in the middle of the season) and 197.

Ok, te-eayched the video again.

The years he supposedly wrestled 167 (which he did not) Mark Smith placed at Nationals.

Munoz beat Paul Jenn in the 1998 dual at 177 in Iowa City.

That guys memory is fried.

To make a story up that he argued (jokingly obviously) with John Smith about struggling to make 167 at nationals and not placing when Smith's brother was at 167.

Just weird...

I don't think he's saying he was ever at 167, he is saying Smith thought he should be at that weight, 167, because with the 7 lbs allowance it was now 174, and he had been wrestling 177 up to that point in the 1998 season. Basically Smith wanted him to go down 3 lbs to 174, and he wanted to go up to 190 (197) instead of wrestling 177(184). Maybe John wanted his brother to go down too.

Reactions: el dub
What was Kemdog's walking around weight last year, was the cut a problem? If the rumors are true I just don't get the logic of jumping 2-3 classes especially coming off a bad knee. He is an absolute lock for #2 and one of my favorites too watch. I wouldn't count him out anywhere he wants to go but moving up more than one weight class with be...... interesting, to say the least.

I would think the logic is that Kem is too big for 157 and Marinelli is at 165. Of the two, Kem is the better fit to go 174 based on his frame. If Iowa had a hole at 165 maybe Kem would go there, but they don't.

What was Kemdog's walking around weight last year, was the cut a problem? If the rumors are true I just don't get the logic of jumping 2-3 classes especially coming off a bad knee. He is an absolute lock for #2 and one of my favorites too watch. I wouldn't count him out anywhere he wants to go but moving up more than one weight class with be...... interesting, to say the least.

There must be a dozen threads that explain this.

Reactions: Grip220
Maybe but I like Kem at 165 and the bull at 174 better given their frames. Likewise despite last year's dual result, I think Kem gives Joseph more trouble than the bull, and either vs Hall is about the same.

Marinelli is shorter than Kemerer and weighs less at full feed. Kemerer has the frame to get bigger. Alex has been 160ish since his freshman year.

It’s really looking at the two matchups...Hall vs Kemerer, Marinelli vs Joseph. I like both of those matchups better than if they were flip flopped. Kemerer has the athleticism to go with Hall and Marinelli has the brute force to go with Joseph. Kemerer would be fine against Joseph or Hall but Hall has proved a terrible match up for Alex.

No Doubt in my mind keep Bull at 65 if Kem is around 180-185 currently I think his transition up to 174 comes easy He is growing it happens. He has the skills to go with anyone I also believe he lines up better against Hall then Nolf. Im not sure where Zahid will be most likely 184 I think so that makes it even better for the Dog

Marinelli is shorter than Kemerer and weighs less at full feed. Kemerer has the frame to get bigger. Alex has been 160ish since his freshman year.

It’s really looking at the two matchups...Hall vs Kemerer, Marinelli vs Joseph. I like both of those matchups better than if they were flip flopped. Kemerer has the athleticism to go with Hall and Marinelli has the brute force to go with Joseph. Kemerer would be fine against Joseph or Hall but Hall has proved a terrible match up for Alex.
Since we don’t have a dual, that must be your Saturday night matchup POV. If that happens, the decision will have been proven solid

I'd have liked to see kem and bull flip flop vs the full 2 weight class jump for kem. We don't have the s&c program to get him strong enough in one year I'm afraid.
157 probably a tough cut for bull but he had some trouble with the bigger longer guys at 65 and I don't know how much that will change. Will be fun to watch regardless.

Reactions: wasdt21
I'd have liked to see kem and bull flip flop vs the full 2 weight class jump for kem. We don't have the s&c program to get him strong enough in one year I'm afraid.
157 probably a tough cut for bull but he had some trouble with the bigger longer guys at 65 and I don't know how much that will change. Will be fun to watch regardless.
I think Kem will be plenty big. The 174 weight class will have its hands full with him.

Reactions: Grip220
Since we don’t have a dual, that must be your Saturday night matchup POV. If that happens, the decision will have been proven solid

But here's to hoping that dual happens

giphy.gif

Reactions: PSU Mike
Lets shorten this a little its Strength coach the conditioning comes with the lifting and wrestling. That being said my family has been strength training For many many years there are things that work things that dont to optimize strength over short and longer time spans without artificial sweeteners. You will see all types of techniques in videos magazines etc. some of it is good some of it is over thought garbage basic strength movements done correctly squats , deadlifts , presses and pulling movements are whats needed. My brother who knows more than most would reach out to any Hawk looking for in or offseason training tips. Im sure the staff knows most if not all of whats needed from there own Experience even if they are not professionals in the field

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT