ADVERTISEMENT

Saudi blood money golf field announced

Well, the PGA certainly seems concerned.
I didn't mean to imply they weren't. I was running under the assumption the PGA would do what they were doing. I just think new players will step up and while LIV may very well be highly successful internationally, I could see it being like F1 racing is here. We know it exists, but most of the events take place at 3 in the morning so nobody in the US is going to watch it. Could the PGA become a "farm league"? Maybe. But I just don't see golf ever bringing in the interest to support multiple 9 figure paychecks on it's own. It will only exist as long as the Saudis want to keep it existing. That could be 10 years, it could be 100. Who knows, but their business model doesn't seem to make any sense standing on its own.

Or, maybe I am vastly underestimating the kind of money pro golfing brings in. That's entirely possible as well.

Others have said it, but even those with Eff You money eventually want to see some sort of return. Just how long can they keep throwing 9 figures at guys to play in tournaments that will struggle generate TV and sponsorship money?

I’m most interested to see what happens to these players in a few years, and what will be demanded of them. Is the LIV going to wish DJ well with a handshake if he wants to go back to the PGA Tour? I highly doubt it.

Others have said it, but even those with Eff You money eventually want to see some sort of return. Just how long can they keep throwing 9 figures at guys to play in tournaments that will struggle generate TV and sponsorship money?

I’m most interested to see what happens to these players in a few years, and what will be demanded of them. Is the LIV going to wish DJ well with a handshake if he wants to go back to the PGA Tour? I highly doubt it.
What will change the course is when the Masters says you're not invited. Other majors will then follow suit. None of them have the guts to do it until someone else does. That will be the Masters.

Don't see why the Masters or any other major event would care to interject themselves. They can be Switzerland and get the best from both. They can't lose. Just say nothing and hold your event. Let LIV and PGA battle it out in the media and public opinion.

Don't see why the Masters or any other major event would care to interject themselves. They can be Switzerland and get the best from both. They can't lose. Just say nothing and hold your event. Let LIV and PGA battle it out in the media and public opinion.
As long as they limit commercials during their event, most folks won’t complain. However, as “corporate” as The Masters is, they will wrestle mightily with this issue behind closed doors.

Very simple. The Masters is all about tradition. If you think the people that run the Masters care to be Switzerland on anything then you are simply wrong. There is a reason Mickelson wasn't there this year. They will take a position and it will be to support the PGA Tour. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: praguehawk
Very simple. The Masters is all about tradition. If you think the people that run the Masters care to be Switzerland on anything then you are simply wrong. There is a reason Mickelson wasn't there this year. They will take a position and it will be to support the PGA Tour. I'll leave it at that.
(Or maybe the “ integrity” of professional golf? )

Fred Ridley stressed that Mickelson was not at the Masters this year by his choice.

Reactions: Scott559
I'll believe it when I see it.

It’s up to the individual on if they want to take blood money or not. If those individuals can separate and justify their pay from the means in which their owners came about that money then who am I to tell them what to do.

Having said that if a couple of those players decided to donate some of their earnings to establish a foundation in the name of the murdered reporter I would applaud them for it.

The Masters is steeped in tradition. Part of that tradition is amateurs competing in the event. If you think the Masters is going to concede to an outfit that is all about money, money, money, and dirty money you are kidding yourself. We're also talking about the Masters, who are about as rich, stuffy, and old school as you are going to find. They would love to swing their weight around and kill the LIV to show them all who is the big dog in golf. Both the Masters and R&A, with one sentence could shut down LIV. They probably can't wait to do it.

What will change the course is when the Masters says you're not invited. Other majors will then follow suit. None of them have the guts to do it until someone else does. That will be the Masters.
Or, the Masters could say they're not going to be the PGA Tour's enforcer and stick by their rules and invite all the past champions.
I can see a scenario where the PGA Tour comes to an agreement similar to the one they currently have with the European Tour and allow players to move between them all.

The Masters is steeped in tradition. Part of that tradition is amateurs competing in the event. If you think the Masters is going to concede to an outfit that is all about money, money, money, and dirty money you are kidding yourself. We're also talking about the Masters, who are about as rich, stuffy, and old school as you are going to find. They would love to swing their weight around and kill the LIV to show them all who is the big dog in golf. Both the Masters and R&A, with one sentence could shut down LIV. They probably can't wait to do it.
That said, it likely depends a fair bit on how many Augusta members are affiliated with the petrochemical industry. Which I'd wager is not an immaterial number.

That said, it likely depends a fair bit on how many Augusta members are affiliated with the petrochemical industry. Which I'd wager is not an immaterial number.
You have to have real money and position to be asked to join Augusta..or be real important. There might be a few Texas/Oklahoma oil folks who are members, but Augusta is in Georgia....not Dallas / Fort Worth.

You have to have real money and position to be asked to join Augusta..or be real important. There might be a few Texas/Oklahoma oil folks who are members, but Augusta is in Georgia....not Dallas / Fort Worth.
No doubt. But I’d still guess a dozen.

I mean bringing in John Daly would be great television, but I doubt they’d let him booze on the course.

I refuse to click on any link that has "LIV" in it.

They are not going to get one click, one view, one like, one anything from me.

ADVERTISEMENT