ADVERTISEMENT

SC Cop drags student across the floor in class room

To put it super simply to you 2 (and others).

If you're running a meeting tomorrow, and you notice an employee texting, are you 100% confronting them, in the middle of the meeting?

if so

Are you going to keep belaboring the point if the employee continues to text?

If so

Are you going to fire the employee?

if so

Are you going to call the police to have the employee removed if they continue to sit there?

OR

Do you think somewhere along the line, you realize that you're not having a productive interaction, and decide to continue your meeting, and then apply the appropriate punishment the next day?

Because anyone with a brain cuts the interaction short before firing the employee (during the meeting) and confronts the employee after the meeting.

And if you did that, and say fired the employee or demoted them or docked their pay or whatever punishment you decided was appropriate, do you REALLY think everyone is showing up at your next meeting and texting?

If someone acted like she did at a business meeting at my company, the owner would have told her to leave. If she refused to leave, he would have called the cops. The cops would have removed this individual. The exact same thing would have happened, expect no one at one of our meetings would ever act like that.

If you're running a meeting tomorrow, and you notice an employee texting, are you 100% confronting them, in the middle of the meeting?

if so

If so

if so

Are you going to call the police to have the employee removed if they continue to sit there?

OR

Do you think somewhere along the line, you realize that you're not having a productive interaction, and decide to continue your meeting, and then apply the appropriate punishment the next day?

Because anyone with a brain cuts the interaction short before firing the employee (during the meeting) and confronts the employee after the meeting.

And if you did that, and say fired the employee or demoted them or docked their pay or whatever punishment you decided was appropriate, do you REALLY think everyone is showing up at your next meeting and texting?

Yes to the first parts.

The ones that deal with accountability in the moment.

That situation is not hers to control, or dictate.

Just as it won't be with her employer, or landlord, or debtors.

You are advocating teaching a lesson that disables the entire class.

No. No it does not.

But whatever. Clearly you're so shortsighted that you believe direct conflict is the only way to resolve a situation.

Must be why you're so pro-war.

Anyway, out of here for tonight. Look forward to all the well thought out replies you guys will come up with.

That situation is not hers to control, or dictate.

Just as it won't be with her employer, or landlord, or debtors.

You are advocating teaching a lesson that disables the entire class.

Hey employer would fire her. Her landlord evict her and get debtors would garnish her wages.

A cop should have admonished her and peacefully arrested her.

Ask her to stand up and put hands behind her back. If she refuses, grab her under the arms and attempt to pick her up out of the desk. If she won't let go, call in backup and remove her.

At no time is slamming her over and then dragging her across the floor ok.

If someone acted like she did at a business meeting at my company, the owner would have told her to leave. If she refused to leave, he would have called the cops. The cops would have removed this individual. The exact same thing would have happened, expect no one at one of our meetings would ever act like that.

Yes to the first parts.

The ones that deal with accountability in the moment.

I guess I get it now.

You guys work in terrible places, for terrible leaders, and are terrible leaders yourselves. Night boys.

if so

If so

if so

OR

This example that you think helps your point, shows your youth and inexperience.

Bare minimum it shows you have not worked in many professional environments up to this point in your career.(or around professional leaders)

Reactions: bullshiznitz
I guess I get it now.

You guys work in terrible places, for terrible leaders, and are terrible leaders yourselves. Night boys.

Leadership should not tolerate gross insubordination.

I'm sorry that has been you experience.

Do you have any idea how naive you sound?

Not naive at all. The use of force on a suspect should be directly related to the suspect's that level. Her that level was ZERO. Therefore force was not justified.

If a dude on the street is trying to fight you when you arrest him, tase him and then cuff him when he's under control.

If a suspect has a knife, tase him until he drops the knife and cuff him.

If a suspect has a gun, tell him to drop it and if he points it, shoot him.

There are many situations as cop that require force of varying levels. This situation did not require force at all. As a cop you are responsible for realizing when and what force is necessary.

He chose poorly and should be fired.

Reactions: moral_victory
I will, for a while at least (as long as I can make it in NYC).

It's not victimizing. Read my post I just posted. There are other conflict management methods available to someone in the teacher/LEOs situation, besides direct conflict.

And guess what? The students are far more victimized now, having seen their classmate drug from the room by a cop, who is sworn to "serve and protect", and having this story become national news.

You can call that the student's fault. I tend to lay responsibility with the adults in the situation. Cop, teacher, administrator. The girl is also really at fault, but ultimate responsibility lies with the adults.
nm

Then you didn't want to see her hit him.

?

I don't see her hit him either. The spot just before he grabs her has a huge blue where nothing is identifiable. I'd say if somebody sees her hitting him in that video it's because they want to see it. I have an open mind on this -- can you point to the spot in the video where it happens? Perhaps two or three frames?

Reactions: moral_victory
This example that you think helps your point, shows your youth and inexperience.

Bare minimum it shows you have not worked in many professional environments up to this point in your career.(or around professional leaders)

I've worked for like 7 multinational corporations and 3-4 local businesses.

Direct confrontation is not the only available method and any leader who only has that tool in their toolbox is a terrible leader.

Sorry that the world has evolved past someone barking orders at another. We've figured out other ways to deal with confrontation and to get people to do what we want them to do. Hope you can catch up someday.

I've worked for like 7 multinational corporations and 3-4 local businesses.

Direct confrontation is not the only available method and any leader who only has that tool in their toolbox is a terrible leader.

Sorry that the world has evolved past someone barking orders at another. We've figured out other ways to deal with confrontation and to get people to do what we want them to do. Hope you can catch up someday.

I've spent the last 12 years working for the same Fortune 100 corporation. (22 years in the professional arena.)

Gross insubordination is not ignored.

It doesn't get addressed with "barking", but it does get confronted.

Add this event to the faux outrage aimed at enforcement personnel when it should really be aimed at the people causing the disturbance. She was told to leave and didn't leave; pretty simple really.

Reactions: Pepperman
Add this event to the faux outrage aimed at enforcement personnel when it should really be aimed at the people causing the disturbance. She was told to leave and didn't leave; pretty simple really.

You don't get to break children's arms when they are acting like children.

Reactions: KitingHigh
When you encounter someone who is hell-bent on staying in her chair, you can add punishment.

"Hey Susie, you need to put away your phone."
"Hey Susie, we're going to call your mom"
"Hey Susie, we're giving you 3 days detention"
"Hey Susie, you've got 1-day in-school suspension"

And move on. Let her play on the thing all damn day. Just punish her.

Again, how is that less distracting than calling in administration and LEO? At that point, aren't you sacrificing the 30 to deal with the 1?

That strategy worked great on John Bender in the movie Breakfast Club. "You want another? That's 4. We can keep going...Ya want another?" Don't mess with the bull, Bender.

This is why the education system is failing. I hate to say it, but its not the teaches fault here. These kids now a days are so entitled to their ways, that you can't do anything about it. This student was asked to put her phone away during a lecture. She didn't listen and just ignored the teacher. The teacher summoned an administrator who then called for security to remove her. I do not know where this sense of entitlement came from, but these kids need a lesson in real-life. If you don't listen, sorry your gonna get arrested or fired or whatever.

I know several teachers who are in education who say, when a student is mis-behaving they can't do anything about it. They have to call security and they deal with the students. One time there was a fight in the hallway and my buddy said he had to close his doors, because no teacher should intervene, only security can do that.

Did the cop have to use that amount of force?? NO, he shouldn't have. I will not agree with his actions, but once again this is another case of if PEOPLE LISTEN TO AUTHORITY, nothing happens. Everyone goes on their merry way and this is a non-issue.

This actually reminded me of a story from my high school years. We had a student who was an idiot during class, would always blurt out answers and just try to be the class clown. Well our Chemistry teacher was also our head wrestling coach. One day the student was messing around and the teacher walked over, picked up his desk with the student it still. Walked him out the door and set it in the hallway. Told him he can learn out there if he wants to or he can be quite and come back in. Our teachers face was beat red and Im pretty sure they could hear him yelling a couple miles away. His voice boomed through the hallways. That kid was humiliated and actually was pretty good the rest of the year. I don't think he ever got in trouble again. (pretty sure if a teacher did that in todays world, they would probably be fired or sent home, which is sad).

This is why the education system is failing. I hate to say it, but its not the teaches fault here. These kids now a days are so entitled to their ways, that you can't do anything about it. This student was asked to put her phone away during a lecture. She didn't listen and just ignored the teacher. The teacher summoned an administrator who then called for security to remove her. I do not know where this sense of entitlement came from, but these kids need a lesson in real-life. If you don't listen, sorry your gonna get arrested or fired or whatever.

I know several teachers who are in education who say, when a student is mis-behaving they can't do anything about it. They have to call security and they deal with the students. One time there was a fight in the hallway and my buddy said he had to close his doors, because no teacher should intervene, only security can do that.

Did the cop have to use that amount of force?? NO, he shouldn't have. I will not agree with his actions, but once again this is another case of if PEOPLE LISTEN TO AUTHORITY, nothing happens. Everyone goes on their merry way and this is a non-issue.

This actually reminded me of a story from my high school years. We had a student who was an idiot during class, would always blurt out answers and just try to be the class clown. Well our Chemistry teacher was also our head wrestling coach. One day the student was messing around and the teacher walked over, picked up his desk with the student it still. Walked him out the door and set it in the hallway. Told him he can learn out there if he wants to or he can be quite and come back in. Our teachers face was beat red and Im pretty sure they could hear him yelling a couple miles away. His voice boomed through the hallways. That kid was humiliated and actually was pretty good the rest of the year. I don't think he ever got in trouble again. (pretty sure if a teacher did that in todays world, they would probably be fired or sent home, which is sad).
There is just way too much logic in this post...for a couple of people on here.

I went to school from 1990-2002 in one of the more "rough" school districts in the state (although, my elementary was extremely nice). I never once saw a teacher do anything like this. The closest was once my middle school gym teacher/every sport coach broke up a fight between two 7th grade boys. He took one of them over to the closet and together they unpacked the wrestling mat and he said "if you boys want to fight, you're going to do it like men" and made them wrestle.

The idea that teachers should be beating students is so ridiculous to me. Just going to bring out more violence in the schools, when some child retaliates, perhaps even in a mass shooting way...
So what should happen to this student? Is this on the same level as the cop? Actually watch the cop in the vid - seems scared to do much as the principal is riding the kids back.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/1...-fight.ktxl/video/playlists/caught-on-camera/

I've spent the last 12 years working for the same Fortune 100 corporation. (22 years in the professional arena.)

Gross insubordination is not ignored.

It doesn't get addressed with "barking", but it does get confronted.

So if it was happening in a meeting, your superiors would halt the meeting to address it, over and over, to the detriment of everyone's time in the meeting?

Because I understand the urge to do so, but sometimes you have to realize that your ego is less important than getting things done. And, at that point, you are the distraction.

Expelled and charges pressed?

What in the world makes you equate that situation to the situation in SC?

Oh, I forgot who posted that. My bad.

Students, cops, school, administration - all involved in both instances.

Students, cops, school, administration - all involved in both instances.

One was a brawl and the other was a student not putting her phone away.

Aren't you the one who used to have the Vandy logo as your avatar? I thought they only let intelligent people in there? Or are you just some rural Tennessee hillbilly who roots for Vandy?

One was a brawl and the other was a student not putting her phone away.

Aren't you the one who used to have the Vandy logo as your avatar? I thought they only let intelligent people in there? Or are you just some rural Tennessee hillbilly who roots for Vandy?
Never had Vandy - but to your point I guess they do as you have been on for quite some time.

Cell phone use in my wife's class is banned period unless part of a lesson. She sends out class rules acknowledgement forms to parents at beginning of the year. She just confiscates them & locks him in her desk. If they want them back the student has to get the parent to retrieve them. She teaches ESL 12-16 year olds in inner city Milwaukee. My feelings is it was handled poorly. I'm guessing this has probably been an issue with this girl for awhile. And the teacher gave her far too much leeway. Kids sense weakness & will exploit it.
But the cop I bet has a history of being heavy handed as well. He has that meat head look to him. Bet he posts on Facebook about his bench press & dead lift bests.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
On the news this morning they said this cop is known as "Officer Slam" at school.

Cell phone use in my wife's class is banned period unless part of a lesson. She sends out class rules acknowledgement forms to parents at beginning of the year. She just confiscates them & locks him in her desk. If they want them back the student has to get the parent to retrieve them. She teaches ESL 12-16 year olds in inner city Milwaukee. My feelings is it was handled poorly. I'm guessing this has probably been an issue with this girl for awhile. And the teacher gave her far too much leeway. Kids sense weakness & will exploit it.
But the cop I bet has a history of being heavy handed as well. He has that meat head look to him. Bet he posts on Facebook about his bench press & dead lift bests.
This is how it should be. Many districts will not allow you to take their phones from them. Teachers can only tell them to put the phones away. Teachers have to hope they comply.

Personally I think it is ridiculous students get to have phones in their classes.

This is how it should be. Many districts will not allow you to take their phones from them. Teachers can only tell them to put the phones away. Teachers have to hope they comply.

Personally I think it is ridiculous students get to have phones in their classes.

If the parents need to contact them. Can't they just phone the office? I can't see any justifiable need for them during class time.

If the parents need to contact them. Can't they just phone the office? I can't see any justifiable need for them during class time.
One would think. I guess I have no idea how parents got hold of their kids, while at school, in the olden times...before 2001.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT