ADVERTISEMENT

SC Cop drags student across the floor in class room

The only person who escalated anything was the girl.

unnamed-111.gif

LOL...Admin comes in. Dismisses the class to another room. Pulls a desk to face the student. Says, "You may now sit here as long as you wish. Your parent/guardian has been called and is on the way. When he/she gets here, we'll talk about how long your suspension will last."

Now you can come up with a thousand reasons why that wouldn't work and I can shoot every one of them down. That's how it's done correctly.

Oh...btw...no video on the news.
This is what should have been done. I totally agree and this is the plan in our school district.

At the same time i can still not feel bad for the girl one bit and say she got what she deserved.
I promise that cases like this will only escalate the number of people that feel like they don't have to follow the rules. We are already seeing it and I'm not just talking about other high school kids but adults as well.
It's attitudes like sleibs that make society a dangerous place. It's ok to have expectations out of LEO's but you don't demonize them all.

Yeah, when the school administrator called on him to remove the student from the class, the proper response is to say, "not my job."

Do you people even think about what you're posting before hitting the send button?

Just stop. An SRO shouldn't play any part in school discipline until a crime has been committed. We have an SRO. She isn't called on to enforce discipline...the idea is idiotic. That police officer responded as he was trained to respond to a noncompliant person...and it was COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE. It cost him his job and it was a situation in which he never should have been placed. The admin screwed the pooch on this one.

I promise that cases like this will only escalate the number of people that feel like they don't have to follow the rules.

As you said, we're already seeing it.

We don't enforce immigration laws (as a choice)
We don't enforce Obamacare to everybody (as a POTUS choice)
on and on... why should anybody think rules matter anymore?

Just stop. An SRO shouldn't play any part in school discipline until a crime has been committed. We have an SRO. She isn't called on to enforce discipline...the idea is idiotic. That police officer responded as he was trained to respond to a noncompliant person...and it was COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE. It cost him his job and it was a situation in which he never should have been placed. The admin screwed the pooch on this one.

When you are told to leave the premises and you refuse, that is trespassing and is a crime. Not sure why everyone is ignoring this fact even though I've stated it several times.

When you are told to leave the premises and you refuse, that is trespassing and is a crime. Not sure why everyone is ignoring this fact even though I've stated it several times.

Bullshyte. This is a school and you're talking about a kid. Or do you propose that every parent with a morose kid who won't come out of their room call the cops and have the door battered down? I would like to know what positive impact you think came from the way this was handled. The cop lost his job. The district is facing a lawsuit...which they will settle because it's a lost cause. The kid is now a f'n hero.

Well done, Trad...brilliant really.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yeah, when the school administrator called on him to remove the student from the class, the proper response is to say, "not my job."

Do you people even think about what you're posting before hitting the send button?
Right on and most cops would

Bullshyte. This is a school and you're talking about a kid. Or do you propose that every parent with a morose kid who won't come out of their room call the cops and have the door battered down? I would like to know what positive impact you think came from the way this was handled. The cop lost his job. The district is facing a lawsuit...which they will settle because it's a lost cause. The kid is now a f'n hero.

Well done, Trad...brilliant really.
I agreed with your earlier point on how this should have been handled.
But I do not think this is a negative either. I think the next time this happens:
A. Most kids will think twice about their behavior. Which I think is a good thing.
B. The school will probably handle it like you suggested.

I agreed with your earlier point on how this should have been handled.
But I do not think this is a negative either. I think the next time this happens:
A. Most kids will think twice about their behavior. Which I think is a good thing.
B. The school will probably handle it like you suggested.

Shoot...when they see the payday her family gets....there are kids who would try to provoke a response just based on that. Heck, I might myself.

You can't. Completely different situations.

Ask the officer who got pistol whipped by his own gun how he feels when he chose not to use force when subduing the suspect. Do you want to guess how his reaction will be different next time? People are so quick to judge, but unless you are in a position where you have been previously assaulted for trying to be gentle and not controlling the situation, you likely won't make the same mistake. If this Principal would have tackled the kid instead of just trying to pull him off, he would have secured the matter and would have prevented himself from getting body slammed. Problem is, like this officer, it would probably have been frowned upon and his actions probably would have been addressed.

One thing I would like to know is, what is excessive force? There are so many shades of gray in this, one can ALWAYS nit pick and find something that was done that didn't have to be done.

To me it's two separate issues here.

One issue is why there are even cops in schools in the first place and under what circumstances they should be used. Maybe the administration should have found an alternative to sending the cop in. A kid having a cell phone isn't illegal and shouldn't be a situation a cop needs to be involved with.

The second issue is the cop's actions. I think the cop's actions were completely justified. If the administration feels the situation has reached a point that the kid needs to be removed and they have asked the officer to deal with it, what the hell did they think was going to happen? If the reports are true that the cop told her she was being placed under arrest for not leaving, isn't it the cop's job to make her comply? Why else have the cop there?

You may not like the outcome of what happened, but I think the blame should be on the administration and school district for having cops in their school in the first place.

But what happens when said kid sits on her phone all day and then fails?? Then momma and daddy come in and say the teacher is failing their kid?? What is a teacher supposed to do then?

The reason they have cops in the building is so the Teachers/administrators don't get into trouble. Im sorry but if you lay your hand on a child, you might as well pack your bags because your getting fired or sued if you are an educator. Teachers are actually told not to intervene with kids when fighting or disrupting the classroom. That's why school districts have hired security guards. Its pathetic, but its true. In this "sue happy" work we live in, if you so much as restrain child and they get hurt, your sued and so is the school district.

Im sorry but this "entitlement" that kids have now a days is out of control. Kids think they can do whatever they want, because they know if a teacher forces/restrains them from something, they can call mommy/daddy and sue. Its a sad world and this is where the downfall in education lies. It isn't the teachers/administrators/TA/or whoever. Its the parents and kids for allowing this self-entitlement attitude.

Im sorry but like one poster said, if I disobeyed and didn't and I was treated like this. My parents would of blamed me and said I deserved it. I wasn't listening to authority so you get what you get. Sorry

Ask the officer who got pistol whipped by his own gun how he feels when he chose not to use force when subduing the suspect. Do you want to guess how his reaction will be different next time? People are so quick to judge, but unless you are in a position where you have been previously assaulted for trying to be gentle and not controlling the situation, you likely won't make the same mistake. If this Principal would have tackled the kid instead of just trying to pull him off, he would have secured the matter and would have prevented himself from getting body slammed. Problem is, like this officer, it would probably have been frowned upon and his actions probably would have been addressed.

One thing I would like to know is, what is excessive force? There are so many shades of gray in this, one can ALWAYS nit pick and find something that was done that didn't have to be done.

What does any of this have to do with a girl who refuses to give up her cell phone or leave her seat? Seriously.

But what happens when said kid sits on her phone all day and then fails?? Then momma and daddy come in and say the teacher is failing their kid?? What is a teacher supposed to do then?

The reason they have cops in the building is so the Teachers/administrators don't get into trouble. Im sorry but if you lay your hand on a child, you might as well pack your bags because your getting fired or sued if you are an educator. Teachers are actually told not to intervene with kids when fighting or disrupting the classroom.

This wasn't a fight. What is so hard to understand about that? No one NEEDED to put their hands on this girl. At all. This situation could have been easily defused with absolutely ZERO PUBLICITY.

As for your first comment, show the parents the work the student did or didn't do.Better yet, have the student do it. Student-led conferences are awesome. It's really not that complicated.

Reactions: moral_victory
This is what should have been done. I totally agree and this is the plan in our school district.

At the same time i can still not feel bad for the girl one bit and say she got what she deserved.
I promise that cases like this will only escalate the number of people that feel like they don't have to follow the rules. We are already seeing it and I'm not just talking about other high school kids but adults as well.
It's attitudes like sleibs that make society a dangerous place. It's ok to have expectations out of LEO's but you don't demonize them all.
I sort of like this but I have one question...and this happens often...what if you cannot reach the parents? I have found multiple times that the parents' phones are disconnected or you just can't get hold of them. If the school day ends, you send the child on their way, how do you get the parents there the next day to actually converse with them? Do you just suspend the kid - which I don't necessarily agree with for refusing to put away a phone - and then not allow the child back until there is a parent meeting?

Right on and most cops would

Im just guessing, but cops/security guards are in most schools now a days. Its for protecting the school district and the other students. Because everyone knows if a teacher touches a student in any way their job is gone and the school district will get sued.

Personally I would of handled it this way:

Teacher: Put your phone down
Student: Nope

Teacher: Okay class today were gonna learn.........

When the test came up and she failed, I would turn to this day and point out this is why your behind because you can't get off your phone. (sadly from my experience in education, I would probably get fired) because mom/dad would complain about me not caring enough about their daughter.

This wasn't a fight. What is so hard to understand about that? No one NEEDED to put their hands on this girl. At all. This situation could have been easily defused with absolutely ZERO PUBLICITY.

As for your first comment, show the parents the work the student did or didn't do.Better yet, have the student do it. Student-led conferences are awesome. It's really not that complicated.

Disobeying administrative orders requires police to be involved. What was the administrator/teachers to do? Let her have her way? That's a great message to send to an already brat of a kid. Hey were gonna let you have your way today, don't worry about a thing.

Parents have to show up first. My buddy school he is lucky to get 25-30% of his parents in his room to show up. He sends letters/emails/flyers and every other form of communication home and doesn't hear a word back. How can you punish a kid, whose parents don't care enough to come to conferences?

Feel like that all you want. Police are bringing it on themselves with their lack of actual policing.

I respect police. But I think they're power hungry (and they've been given too much power), are too quick to violence, and I won't ever consider talking to one unless it's absolutely necessary, as is my constitutional right.

Over the last 20 years we've turned our police from "serve and protect" to mini soldiers. I am sorry if I don't buy your beliefs that we need to militarize the police forces.

What does any of this have to do with a girl who refuses to give up her cell phone or leave her seat? Seriously.
I am saying that past experiences from an officer can influence how they react in a situation. As he grabbed her, she hit him. It is right on the video. Whether you justify the actions of the officer or not, she hit him as he grabbed her. There were probably many things that could have taken place to prevent this, but an officer shouldn't have to endure physical punishment by a person he is trying to remove.

Or the kids at that school will now fear authorty, or distrust authority. I don't feel that is a good thing.
They already do. This will perpetuate the feeling, by the kids, that they don't have to follow directions given to them by the adults in that building. That's what they learned.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
It has been my experience that people who resort to violence as a first reaction lack the mental capacity to use the thinking process to assess a situation of conflict. Its not their fault, its the genes their parents gave them. Does law enforcement test for mental capacity on situations of problem solving when hiring prospects or do background checks to see if they tortured animals as a small child?

;);)

Do we know what his contract with the SD dictates?

I sort of like this but I have one question...and this happens often...what if you cannot reach the parents? I have found multiple times that the parents' phones are disconnected or you just can't get hold of them. If the school day ends, you send the child on their way, how do you get the parents there the next day to actually converse with them? Do you just suspend the kid - which I don't necessarily agree with for refusing to put away a phone - and then not allow the child back until there is a parent meeting?

I still don't get how you agree with getting an LEO to forcibly remove a child from her seat yet don't agree with suspending the child, for the same offense?

Also people are really conflating two arguments here. Those of us who are hard on the administration/teacher/LEO are not "creating an entitlement culture" as you suggest. We're simply trying to change the culture that leads to a bunch of (presumably) educated people to think it's OK for an LEO to forcibly remove a child over not putting away a cell-phone.

If you want to say that alternatives to direct confrontation enable, have at it, but it will show that you're a complete moron. Not a person on here is suggesting this child (or any child in her position) not be punished. We're simply suggesting that the other alternatives to direct confrontation would have been far better suited for all involved in this matter. Perhaps you think we're trying to excuse the behavior of this child, but again, if so, you're a moron.

I guess bitching at the parents is out of the question...
Black teen attacked by school cop has multiple injuries — and is an orphan who recently lost her mother
An influential South Carolina Democrat plans to represent a teenage girl thrown to the ground by a school resource officer — and he intends to change a state law that allows police to arrest students for being disruptive in class.

Richland County Deputy Ben Fields was fired Wednesday for violating agency policy when he picked up the 16-year-old girl and threw her across a classroom during the arrest at Spring Valley High School.

State Rep. Todd Rutherford (D-Columbia) told WLTX-TV the 16-year-old girl suffered arm, neck and back injuries when Fields grabbed her by the throat and threw her to the ground after the teen refused to hand over her cell phone to a teacher.

“He weighs about 300 pounds,” Rutherford said. “She is a student who is 16 years old, who now has a cast on her arm, a band aid on her neck, and neck and back problems. There’s something wrong here.”

Rutherford told the New York Daily News that the teen recently lost her mother and is living in a foster home. The teen’s foster mother said the girl was “devastated and emotionally traumatized by all that has happened to her,” according to the Daily News.

Rutherford said that lawmakers must tighten up restrictions on use of force by school resources officers such as Fields — who students say was “known for slamming” pregnant women and teenage girls to the ground.

“The legislature needs to take action, and make sure our students are not the targets of rogue police officers called ‘Officer Slam’ who are going to walk in and brutalize them at a moment’s notice,” Rutherford said.

Rutherford, who serves as the Democratic Minority Leader of the South Carolina House of Representatives, also plans to represent 18-year-old Niya Kenny — who was also arrested for “disturbing school” while video recording the violent attack on her classmate.

“We passed that law several years ago, and when we did arrests of students shot through the roof,” Rutherford told the TV station. “They were getting arrested for everything because it meets with the statute. The statute is unconstitutionally broad, and everyone knows it.”

The lawmaker said he was shocked by the deputy’s actions — which he said were completely unjustified.

“I had no words because that was something that simply should not happen,” Rutherford said. “It was a classroom. We’re not talking about a roadside setting where you’re worried about the safety of an officer, we’re not talking about any setting where the officer’s safety is in jeopardy and he needs to make sure he controls the situation. It was a classroom.”

He said school resource officers are placed in schools to protect students from outsiders and threats involving guns or knives — and not to punish students for showing disrespect.

“Law enforcement officers simply need to establish a line that they cannot cross,” Rutherford said. “Unfortunately, that line is blurry, and it leads a lot of people to believe that if you don’t do exactly what a law enforcement officer asks, that he gets to brutalize you and beat you up in front of other people — and that’s not true.”

I still don't get how you agree with getting an LEO to forcibly remove a child from her seat yet don't agree with suspending the child, for the same offense?

Also people are really conflating two arguments here. Those of us who are hard on the administration/teacher/LEO are not "creating an entitlement culture" as you suggest. We're simply trying to change the culture that leads to a bunch of (presumably) educated people to think it's OK for an LEO to forcibly remove a child over not putting away a cell-phone.

If you want to say that alternatives to direct confrontation enable, have at it, but it will show that you're a complete moron. Not a person on here is suggesting this child (or any child in her position) not be punished. We're simply suggesting that the other alternatives to direct confrontation would have been far better suited for all involved in this matter. Perhaps you think we're trying to excuse the behavior of this child, but again, if so, you're a moron.
From experience, I highly doubt the suspension - either in-school or out of school will work. A child who would be affected by an out of school suspension wouldn't have behaved like this child did in the first place. The kid doesn't care if they are in school or not. I'd rather keep them here. Suspensions are for fights or bullying. Maybe some threats. One consequence that I though of last night would be this student must check their cell phone into the office every day before school, and then may pick it up after school for some period of time. For the flat out defiance, I would say 2 weeks...if it was up to me. The issue that might come of this would be the kid would show up and lie, "I forgot my phone at home." or "I don't have it with me today." and then go back to using it.

In schools these days, staff has to try and think like the kids in order to stay ahead of them.

I guess bitching at the parents is out of the question...
Black teen attacked by school cop has multiple injuries — and is an orphan who recently lost her mother
An influential South Carolina Democrat plans to represent a teenage girl thrown to the ground by a school resource officer — and he intends to change a state law that allows police to arrest students for being disruptive in class.

Richland County Deputy Ben Fields was fired Wednesday for violating agency policy when he picked up the 16-year-old girl and threw her across a classroom during the arrest at Spring Valley High School.

State Rep. Todd Rutherford (D-Columbia) told WLTX-TV the 16-year-old girl suffered arm, neck and back injuries when Fields grabbed her by the throat and threw her to the ground after the teen refused to hand over her cell phone to a teacher.

“He weighs about 300 pounds,” Rutherford said. “She is a student who is 16 years old, who now has a cast on her arm, a band aid on her neck, and neck and back problems. There’s something wrong here.”

Rutherford told the New York Daily News that the teen recently lost her mother and is living in a foster home. The teen’s foster mother said the girl was “devastated and emotionally traumatized by all that has happened to her,” according to the Daily News.

Rutherford said that lawmakers must tighten up restrictions on use of force by school resources officers such as Fields — who students say was “known for slamming” pregnant women and teenage girls to the ground.

“The legislature needs to take action, and make sure our students are not the targets of rogue police officers called ‘Officer Slam’ who are going to walk in and brutalize them at a moment’s notice,” Rutherford said.

Rutherford, who serves as the Democratic Minority Leader of the South Carolina House of Representatives, also plans to represent 18-year-old Niya Kenny — who was also arrested for “disturbing school” while video recording the violent attack on her classmate.

“We passed that law several years ago, and when we did arrests of students shot through the roof,” Rutherford told the TV station. “They were getting arrested for everything because it meets with the statute. The statute is unconstitutionally broad, and everyone knows it.”

The lawmaker said he was shocked by the deputy’s actions — which he said were completely unjustified.

“I had no words because that was something that simply should not happen,” Rutherford said. “It was a classroom. We’re not talking about a roadside setting where you’re worried about the safety of an officer, we’re not talking about any setting where the officer’s safety is in jeopardy and he needs to make sure he controls the situation. It was a classroom.”

He said school resource officers are placed in schools to protect students from outsiders and threats involving guns or knives — and not to punish students for showing disrespect.

“Law enforcement officers simply need to establish a line that they cannot cross,” Rutherford said. “Unfortunately, that line is blurry, and it leads a lot of people to believe that if you don’t do exactly what a law enforcement officer asks, that he gets to brutalize you and beat you up in front of other people — and that’s not true.”
I read this and all I think is, "She should have handed over the phone." It's too bad for her life has been unkind but all kinds of kids have problems. Many of them choose not to act the way she did.

A fun exercise would be to go back through this thread and count the number of assumptions about the character of the kid that have been made in this thread, about how she'll be a criminal, on welfare, etc. Cross-reference those posters to see if they are the same ones questioning why race plays any role in this affair. As if they'd make those same assumptions about a pretty blond girl from Naperville that refused to give up her phone, and be just as supportive of a grown man beating her up over it and injuring her over it.

I read this and all I think is, "She should have handed over the phone." It's too bad for her life has been unkind but all kinds of kids have problems. Many of them choose not to act the way she did.
And many choose to act up, also. Should we arrest/beat all of them?

Would you defend anything? Is it even possible to go too far in punishing kids in your eyes? After all, if they'd only listened...

From experience, I highly doubt the suspension - either in-school or out of school will work. A child who would be affected by an out of school suspension wouldn't have behaved like this child did in the first place. The kid doesn't care if they are in school or not. I'd rather keep them here. Suspensions are for fights or bullying. Maybe some threats. One consequence that I though of last night would be this student must check their cell phone into the office every day before school, and then may pick it up after school for some period of time. For the flat out defiance, I would say 2 weeks...if it was up to me. The issue that might come of this would be the kid would show up and lie, "I forgot my phone at home." or "I don't have it with me today." and then go back to using it.

In schools these days, staff has to try and think like the kids in order to stay ahead of them.

And that's fine, but at this point, we're not talking about the phone, we're talking about insubordination, right?

So, again, the insubordination made it OK to bring in the LEO, but not to suspend her? That's lunacy.

All the other alternative ways to punish/take her phone are fine and dandy, but we're talking about what happens in the instant after the teacher notices, asks her to put it away, and she refuses. If she's suspended for a day and comes back with her phone the next day, you'll have had 48-hours to develop a plan. If you decide she gets suspended again, and she comes back with it again, you'll have had another 48-hours to plan. Perhaps she'll be threatened with expulsion to the alternative school. Perhaps she'll be required to stay after school in equal amounts of time as every minute she was on her phone. All of these are viable options, and all can happen, after you properly address this situation. Nothing about letting her ignore the order for 5-45 minutes would preclude these options. Now, however, these options are off the table, because they called in a freaking LEO for a girl on a cell phone.

Feel like that all you want. Police are bringing it on themselves with their lack of actual policing.

I respect police. But I think they're power hungry (and they've been given too much power), are too quick to violence, and I won't ever consider talking to one unless it's absolutely necessary, as is my constitutional right.

Over the last 20 years we've turned our police from "serve and protect" to mini soldiers. I am sorry if I don't buy your beliefs that we need to militarize the police forces.
Unfortunately this has not been the image you have portrayed. I guarantee you would have a different attitude if you spent time being a cop in the inner city.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT