ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dochterman likes the Tim Lester hire & the Kyle Shanahan/49'ers Offense that is to come

Some excerpts from a story from the Gazette:

Cade McNamara has ‘loved’ Tim Lester’s offensive scheme​

The sixth-year senior quarterback also was optimistic about new offensive coordinator Tim Lester’s scheme, which has drawn comparisons to the Green Bay Packers’ system.

“I’ve loved it, honestly,” McNamara said.

He believes Lester’s heavy use of motion before the snap and during the snap — an element that was abundantly clear during Iowa’s spring open practice — can give Iowa a “huge advantage.”

“All it shows me is more information about the defense,” McNamara said. “If we’re able to attack some different leverages and catch the defense on their toes, I think it’s all great.”

McNamara was limited in what he could physically do during spring practices, so fall camp will be a critical time for him to run the offense.

“We’re starting from scratch, so it’s been a pretty big learning curve for everyone,” McNamara said. “But I think everyone’s handled it really well.”

Reactions: sober_teacher
I love the chatter about a new look to the offense. However, the O line has been embarrassing for several years. I don't see those same guys suddenly becoming a force that defense's won't just toss aside like they have been. Not getting sucked in again this preseason til I see the vast improvement this fall.

the O-Line and the Offense hasn't been that bad the last couple seasons.. they just lacked consistency
the young guys have put in the hard work.. I believe we will see great things

Reactions: Hawkgma
the O-Line and the Offense hasn't been that bad the last couple seasons.. they just lacked consistency
the young guys have put in the hard work.. I believe we will see great things
Yeah, they have been that bad. The numbers are beyond nuance.

I'll hold out hope for the O-line only because we've seen some pretty impressive development there historically under KFz. But they weren't just bad last year, at times guys looked completely lost. If it's anything at all like that this year, Barnett has to go.

Yeah, they have been that bad. The numbers are beyond nuance.

I'll hold out hope for the O-line only because we've seen some pretty impressive development there historically under KFz. But they weren't just bad last year, at times guys looked completely lost. If it's anything at all like that this year, Barnett has to go.
Statistically they were better than '22. Better YPC, fewer sacks allowed.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that a better scheme will allow them to do better - not great or dominant, but I think it can be a decent to good line. Key will be what Lester can do to keep defenses honest and 1) not force the OL to block 8 or 9 man fronts; and 2) have a QB that move the ball in the air.

Very few OLs could have looked good given all the other issues on offense.

Statistically they were better than '22. Better YPC, fewer sacks allowed.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that a better scheme will allow them to do better - not great or dominant, but I think it can be a decent to good line. Key will be what Lester can do to keep defenses honest and 1) not force the OL to block 8 or 9 man fronts; and 2) have a QB that move the ball in the air.

Very few OLs could have looked good given all the other issues on offense.
I respectfully disagree. A good OL would have made everything look better on offense. When you own the line of scrimmage you can run. When you can run, the pass becomes available...even to a marginal QB.

As for comparing '23 to '22. That's a pretty low bar.

That said, let's hope we see a big jump this Fall. You can't lean on the defense forever

Last edited:
Reactions: desihawk
I respectfully disagree. A good OL would have made everything look better on offense. When you own the line of scrimmage you can run. When you can run, the pass becomes available...even to a marginal QB.

As for comparing '23 to '22. That's a pretty low bar.

That said, let's hope we see a big jump this Fall. You can't lean on the defense forever
How can you run consistently if the opposing D knows exactly what you're doing? And regularly has at least 8 men in the box?

You're asking 5 guys to block 8, regularly. If someone's a beat slow, slips on the turf, etc., then they miss their block and the play is dead. Kirk and BF were requiring near-perfect execution on every play, and that's a tough ask - especially when you rarely run motion, shift formations, ANYTHING to help give your OL help.

I agree that OLs make everything look better on offense...but you also have to put them in a position to succeed.

Plus with a QB that can hit a 5 hard crossing route and actually lead the receiver a little instead of making him slow down and reach behind him will certainly help a lot.

Reactions: Franisdaman
My question is, how will offensive line play differ under a Tim Lester offense as opposed to a Brian Ferentz offense? I don't think Barnett is a good coach, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this year. I've seen some attribute our bad O-Line performance to the fact the defense always knew what was coming. It's hard for a line to block when the defense knows what's going to happen. Will things change now that Barnett can work under a competent offensive mind?

The O-Line will either make or break this new offense.

Wow, great "insights". We've never heard any of that before.

I've seen some attribute our bad O-Line performance to the fact the defense always knew what was coming. It's hard for a line to block when the defense knows what's going to happen. Will things change now that Barnett can work under a competent offensive mind?

It's just more proof from a Register beat writer that KF is not as involved in the offense....

Now, can we be less predictable, distress the defense, and actually move the ball?

Abdul Hodge explains how Iowa’s new offensive scheme opens door for ‘another way to control tempo’

Shanahan West Coast offense is ‘really great system,’ but Iowa still needs to be ‘technically and fundamentally sound’

John Steppe
John Steppe
July 5, 2024

IOWA CITY — Abdul Hodge sees plenty of upside in Iowa football’s new offensive scheme.

“The Shanahan West Coast system is a really great system,” the Iowa tight ends coach said on The Gazette’s Hawk Off the Press podcast. “Has a lot of flexibility in the run game, in the passing game. Has a lot of answers that’s already built into it, whether it be hots or different variations in terms of the formations, various personnel groupings.”

Of course, there’s the motion, too — something Iowa fans saw a heavy dose of during the spring open practice. But Hodge also has especially taken note of the scheme providing “another way to control tempo.”

As Hodge sees it, there are “three ways you can control tempo.”

One way is what fans saw during this year’s Citrus Bowl between Iowa and Tennessee. Another way resembles what Kansas did last year on its way to averaging a Big 12-best 7.2 yards per play.

“They’ll align in the huddle, they’ll explode out as fast as possible and try to snap the football as fast as possible before the defense can actually see what’s going on and make adjustments and communicate,” Hodge said.

The third method is what Hodge sees Iowa doing with its Shanahan-style offense to “keep the defense off balance.”

“We will still huddle,” Hodge said. “We’ll get to the line of scrimmage. But at the last second, we can change that picture. We can go from a 3-by-1 formation to a 2-by-2 formation or 2-by-2 formation to 3-by-1 formation. … Or we can change the picture post-snap, when that ball is snapped.”

For those not as fluent in football schematics, the Green Bay Packers’ system offers a facsimile of what the Hawkeyes’ system will look like. (Lester was an analyst there before taking the Hawkeyes’ offensive coordinator job.)

“Being able to see those pictures, being able to see the examples, being able to pull up Green Bay’s tape and seeing some of those same concepts, I think, is very, very helpful,” Hodge said. “Because it can give you a visualization of what it’s supposed to look like.”

In fact, Iowa coaches traveled to Green Bay earlier in the offseason to meet with the Packers’ staff and watch practice. (That contingent included Hodge, who was the Packers’ third-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.)

As much as Iowa’s new scheme can help the offense in many facets, Hodge is quick to remind his players that schematics are “not the only thing that we’re going to have to hang our hat on to win football games.”

“At the end of the day, we still at Iowa are going to have to be technically and fundamentally sound,” Hodge said.

Hawkeyes tight end coach Abdul Hodge watches his platers run drills during a Hawkeyes’ football spring practice on Saturday, April 20, 2024, at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. (Geoff Stellfox/The Gazette)

Reactions: PNWHawk
Iowa has always had a strong offense... we saw glimpses of it the last couple seasons.. we just lacked the consistency we typically have.

now with a stronger more experienced line, I expect to see great things this season
i dont know what drugs you were on last year but damn..... this is a bad take

I wonder how much Chad has seen in person so far? I guess we just have to wait another week for Kids Day to get a better idea of what to expect.
It will look like April's practice where they don't show much of anything, other than Cade will be the dude instead of Deac.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Trying to get an idea of what to expect this coming season with the Shanahan scheme. I'll be the firs to admit that I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, but I really want to get to know the scheme that we're trying to run better. I came across this video that does a really good job explaining the system. Hopefully we'll run something similar. If anyone else has any info/videos I could learn from, let me know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT