ADVERTISEMENT

Senator claims bipartisan gun deal

Annnnnnnd now we're switching subjects to procedural obstacles in the Senate.

First off, Democrats need to stop obsessing about what the Republicans "are gonna do" and go on offense themselves, and start thinking about what needs to be done and what has support from the American people. Start doing something instead of obsessing about what you can't do and what you can get permission from the Republicans to do.

Second, Republicans want this issue to GO AWAY, they're not remotely interested in trying to make political hay on this issue by claiming they were willing to do stuff but the Dems wouldn't agree.
OK, dude. You are all knowing. I concede the issue to you.
Wowzers.

Reactions: Gimmered
You're tired of "debating" with me because you don't have any responses. Again, what are the Republicans compromising on when it comes to this bill? What is in it that would not have passed prior to Uvalde?

And of course I'm an angry, cynical person when it comes to this issue, I'm sick of the massacres and want something real done to stop them.

For one thing, there was no such bill on the table even a month ago. The recent shootings forced republicans to the table.

No I don’t think this bill is everything it could or should be. But you insisting the Democrats should have held out for more that you know the Republicans would have never voted for means we would have nothing at all. You wanting everything would have resulted in nothing. Instead we got something. Hopefully this cracks the door open to something more down the road.

But that's not what's going to happen. Something that would have passed 2 weeks ago isn't a compromise. I'm so sick of Democrats getting pantsed over and over and over by Republicans.

What's going to happen is that Republicans are going to wink at their base and say "see, nothing happened", and then self-righteously point to this "compromise" as showing they "did something" if Dems try to make any trouble for them in the fall. But even that's not going to happen, the issue will be regarded as "settled" now, the best that could be done was done and on to the next thing.

It's a disaster. Again, LOL that this is some kind of "start" or "incremental progress", it's the end.

You keep saying that - there was nothing out there from the GOP side. Uvalde got them to the table and the Ds are smartly trying to take advantage of that and get something passed.

I grant you the next step will be more difficult to get GOP on board. And they will hold the House, so forget after January.

However, I trust the Dem leadership that this is probably the best the Dems could get right now. Hold out for more and they lose. No chance of success. And they need some wins in the next few months.

They can still campaign and assert that the GOP is standing in the way of more substantive gun control. Nothing is stopping him from doing that. And if it’s the political winner you say it is, they will benefit.

But that's not what's going to happen. Something that would have passed 2 weeks ago isn't a compromise. I'm so sick of Democrats getting pantsed over and over and over by Republicans.

What's going to happen is that Republicans are going to wink at their base and say "see, nothing happened", and then self-righteously point to this "compromise" as showing they "did something" if Dems try to make any trouble for them in the fall. But even that's not going to happen, the issue will be regarded as "settled" now, the best that could be done was done and on to the next thing.

It's a disaster. Again, LOL that this is some kind of "start" or "incremental progress", it's the end.
This wouldn’t have passed before Uvalde though. It doesn’t matter if there are red flag laws in effect in other states, or if the majority of Americans want stricter forms of gun control. There is zero chance that 10 Republican senators would have voted for any form of gun regulation prior to Uvalde.

Are you just gonna continue to ignore the 60 vote number in the Senate?
Take the win and continue the fight. We did not get into this mess overnight and Rome will not get built in one bill.
Walk away, give the pubs ammo that they will willing but the Crats were not, watch the House change leadership, and lose any chance at progress. What sense does that make?
Making sausage is not pretty. Sometimes it takes time.
This issue should be part of a concerted attack on the filibuster as well. We're phucked as a country if we continue on this path where 60 votes are needed to pass anything except things Republicans will agree can be passed.

The assault weapons ban passed the Senate in 1994 on a 52-47 vote, put overwhelming pressure on the Republicans to vote on a similar bill. Fight.

Reactions: BGHAWK
This issue should be part of a concerted attack on the filibuster as well. We're phucked as a country if we continue on this path where 60 votes are needed to pass anything except things Republicans will agree can be passed.

The assault weapons ban passed the Senate in 1994 on a 52-47 vote, put overwhelming pressure on the Republicans to vote on a similar bill. Fight.
NM, dude. Carry on.

OK, dude. You are all knowing. I concede the issue to you.
Wowzers.
I've never claimed to be all knowing or anything close to it.

But have you noticed that there isn't a Republican anywhere (even the NRA) that has any problem at all with this bill? Isn't that a tell?

Oh boy, wouldn’t that seesaw every 2 years be fun to deal with.
Except it wouldn't because once Democrats passed bills/laws that have the support of large majorities like on gun control issues the laws would not be changed back.

I can still remember reading about the focus group of Republicans from years ago that when presented with the actual Republican issue agenda didn't believe it could be the actual Republican agenda.

Except it wouldn't because once Democrats passed bills/laws that have the support of large majorities like on gun control issues the laws would not be changed back.

I can still remember reading about the focus group of Republicans from years ago that when presented with the actual Republican issue agenda didn't believe it could be the actual Republican agenda.
Yeah, except the Dems would pass more than gun control. Hair brained ideas from both extremes once considered pipe dreams would actually happen.

I've never claimed to be all knowing or anything close to it.

But have you noticed that there isn't a Republican anywhere (even the NRA) that has any problem at all with this bill? Isn't that a tell?
Hey, I conceded the floor to you. Leave me out of your campaign.

The assault weapons ban that passed in 1994 was way more pointless than this deal. A new assault weapons ban would be just as pointless. Look at Buffalo! This was a non-assault style AR-15. New York already has an assault weapons ban and this rifle was purchased legally in New York. Changing how a rifle looks isn't going to solve shit.

From a smarter and more succinct guy than I:

We Must Do Something. This Is Something. Clap.

I dunno guys, don't think that always works very well.

The alternative to making a pointless deal with your very fine friends across the aisle (good people on both sides!) is to call them sick bastards every day.

Passing legislation that doesn't solve any problems makes it (unjustly) your fault, next time.

• Haha
Reactions: GroupThink
From a smarter and more succinct guy than I:

We Must Do Something. This Is Something. Clap.

I dunno guys, don't think that always works very well.

The alternative to making a pointless deal with your very fine friends across the aisle (good people on both sides!) is to call them sick bastards every day.

Passing legislation that doesn't solve any problems makes it (unjustly) your fault, next time.

You think hacks are smart? Interesting.

It’s funny some people act like it was a choice between the proposed deal and an assault weapons ban, and the Dems chose the proposed deal.

Like they haven’t been paying attention to politics for, I don’t know, the last 15 years?
Pro tip: some people won’t be happy with anything. Bipartisan is a term that both extremes do not want to be associated with.

One of the reasons the Dems are perceived as ineffectual wimpy losers is that they won't fight for anything, and they're focused like a laser on what they "can't do".

Reactions: BGHAWK
One of the reasons the Dems are perceived as ineffectual wimpy losers is that they won't fight for anything, and they're focused like a laser on what they "can't do".
They can pocket the much-needed win.
They can continue to develop new legislation.
They can still call the GOP bad names in the campaign.

How exactly have they lost here?

What did the Republicans "compromise" on? What that they've openly opposed was included in this bill? What is included here that would not have passed before Uvalde?
It didn’t pass before Uvalde which seems to be the point

They can pocket the much-needed win.
They can continue to develop new legislation.
They can still call the GOP bad names in the campaign.

How exactly have they lost here?
I think he's saying the current bill won't do much and therefore the better path would be to fight for a bill that would work. Just spit ballin' here.

Yes, that’s what he’s saying.
The word quixotic comes to mind.
Well, an interesting argument to have would be whether the bill will work or not, politics aside. I get that's not what you guys are discussing. I see it inlcudes expanded background checks for under 21. It seems to me it would be better to ban gun sales under 21 and if someone uses a gun under 21 to commit a crime, the gun owner is also liable to some degree.

Well, an interesting argument to have would be whether the bill will work or not, politics aside. I get that's not what you guys are discussing. I see it inlcudes expanded background checks for under 21. It seems to me it would be better to ban gun sales under 21 and if someone uses a gun under 21 to commit a crime, the gun owner is also liable to some degree.
I’d be for that, too.

Zero chance it would get 60 votes in the Senate.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Everybody he's arguing with would be on the same side if it had anything other than a 0% chance of happening
Again, Democrats have large majorities of the public on their side on this issue but absolutely refuse to even attempt to do anything other than the bare minimum they can get Republicans to go along with.

Losers.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The bill needed to include back ground checks on everybody regarding their age. It needs a ban on assault weapons. I'm sure the republicans are happy with this, because now they can claim they have ALL (emphasis on all) worked to stop the murder of our school children. The weak democrats have now given them an easier path to control the house and senate in 2022.

Reactions: pjhawk
Absolutely nothing, but they've lost all their leverage on the issue, politically and morally.
How? If the people still want additional gun control candidates can campaign on that. No different than if these measures are not passed. The leverage remains in the will of the people to vote. Same as always.

The bill needed to include back ground checks on everybody regarding their age. It needs a ban on assault weapons. I'm sure the republicans are happy with this, because now they can claim they have ALL (emphasis on all) worked to stop the murder of our school children. The weak democrats have now given them an easier path to control the house and senate in 2022.
These mass shooters have been passing background checks.

Define assault weapons. Any hunting rifle can be made an assault weapon. The Buffalo shooter used an AR-15 that wasn't considered an assault rifle, New York banned those. If you take out all assault weapons, it will just be the next gun up.

The assault weapons ban that passed in 1994 was way more pointless than this deal. A new assault weapons ban would be just as pointless. Look at Buffalo! This was a non-assault style AR-15. New York already has an assault weapons ban and this rifle was purchased legally in New York. Changing how a rifle looks isn't going to solve shit.
This is bullshit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT