ADVERTISEMENT

Sheryl Swoopes

Clark is on Jordan's level for women. We certainly haven't seen another Jordan yet, but we have seen several other very talented players (Bryant, James, Wade, Doncic, etc.).

There will be those who approach Caitlyn's ability, but it's going to be a while before we see someone surpass it.

I really liked that segment. Very easy to see this occurring. What I know is that I'll always support her and I have an obvious reason, she's one of us, from my alma mater, and always will be. Other people joining in on the outside, yeah, they probably won't care but there will be perceptions from players as to why perhaps. She will absolutely face scrutiny, in some varying degree, because of exactly what they state. It's an unfortunate truth but the good news is that someone as talented as her will eventually win her teammates over. It's inevitable. She will win, a lot, and after that first and second championship occurs, I bet they don't care as much what denomination of life she is from. It will definitely be tough for her at first though.

Damn after listening to that, play one more year at Iowa and retire. Let Brittney Griner and the rest of the WNBALGBTQ find someone else to taste. Start coaching.
If it's as bad as they were discussing, CC can always go to Europe where she will make more money and not have to deal with the racism.

I saw this daily in the workplace, even among the women at the highest levels of the company. My wife experienced this as well when she taught in the public schools. They can't stand other successful women. Women can be as professional and warm as they come, but get them in small groups they turn into nasty girls from junior high.
Not to get this thread too far off track.
I worked the first year that Cabelas opened in Prairie Duchien Wi.
About 200 women working there. Bitchin, Pissing and moaning about something all the time.
I said to many of the few guys working there (Can't get them all to have a good day on the same day) NO WAY.

Clark is on Jordan's level for women. We certainly haven't seen another Jordan yet, but we have seen several other very talented players (Bryant, James, Wade, Doncic, etc.).

There will be those who approach Caitlyn's ability, but it's going to be a while before we see someone surpass it.
Lol, you're absolutely right. I always find it hilarious when I have to defend MJ against LeBron. People who didn't witness it just won't understand. Nobody, in any sport, has quite had the outcome of the game so singularly under their own control every game as him. Pele maybe, Tiger at his peak, Ali, but not quite like MJ did. He was the greatest at his profession, almost like an art form being displayed each time, and for people to choose LeBron only indicates they aren't old enough or else they would laugh at themselves for even thinking that.

We've seen a Caitlin already in Steph Curry honestly but she's unique simply because there has never been a woman anywhere near her capability. Very, very limited amounts of men can do what she does which is exemplary. She is the MJ of her particular sport, because it was previously unfathomable to think a woman could do that, but we have seen a player do what she does before in Curry.

Last edited:
If it's as bad as they were discussing, CC can always go to Europe where she will make more money and not have to deal with the racism.
Well, racism definitely exists there too. Watch European soccer and it's pretty evident they have some major problems, especially in the southern portions of the area. She is white though, so you're probably right in this context and that probably won't be an issue for her.

Racism isn't solely an American problem obviously. This is just the media capital of the world so it's displayed more.

Personally, I love the hate she gets. It only emboldens who we think she is, the best. People are trying to stand in her way because they know what she will do going forward. It may not be immediate, like Curry wasn't, but it will happen and they all know it. Gonna be a fun ride to watch those that hate her stand in silence and eventually recognize you're witnessing the greatest to do it. Yeah, that'll be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4 and SI_NYC
Lol, you're absolutely right. I always find it hilarious when I have to defend MJ against LeBron. People who didn't witness it just won't understand. Nobody, in any sport, has quite had the outcome of the game so singularly under their own control every game as him. Pele maybe, Tiger at his peak, Ali, but not quite like MJ did. He was the greatest at his profession, almost like an art form being displayed each time, and for people to choose LeBron only indicates they aren't old enough or else they would laugh at themselves for even thinking that.

We've seen a Caitlin already in Steph Curry honestly but she's unique simply because there has never been a woman anywhere near her capability. Very very Limited amounts of men can do what she does which is exemplary. She is the MJ of her particular sport, because it was previously unfathomable to think a woman could do that, but we have seen a player do what she does before in Curry.
This. Lebron people will start throwing these stats which are impressive, but MJ had something that stats can't measure. Just a sheer force of will to get the win. He could make other players on his team play better and cause other teams to play worse at the same time. I do see some of that in Caitlin, but she is still developing it and unfortunately, there are times when the other team just has so much more talent that she is unable to overcome that gap. We'll see if that changes this year but our lack of anyone who can at least limit any above average center is a serious problem that they need to be able to figure out before March/April.

Damn after listening to that, play one more year at Iowa and retire. Let Brittney Griner and the rest of the WNBALGBTQ find someone else to taste. Start coaching.
Whats Cooking Chef GIF by Pudgy Penguins

In the last 40 years of watching CBB, I’ve seen all sorts of flavor of the year leading scores.
What impresses me is leading the country in scoring AND assists at same time. Now let’s count how many people did it twice?
That is honestly more impressive to me than scoring 30th per game.

Remarkable actually and for someone (Mulkey/Swoopes) to intentionally toss out the “40 shots” a game comment is just flat malicious.

I would put her more in the Bird/Magic comparison. Those two are credited with saving the NBA. Clark has made the womens game expand to people who otherwise would have had no interest. MJ took it to the next level with his greatness.

We've seen a Caitlin already in Steph Curry honestly but she's unique simply because there has never been a woman anywhere near her capability. Very very Limited amounts of men can do what she does which is exemplary. She is the MJ of her particular sport, because it was previously unfathomable to think a woman could do that, but we have seen a player do what she does before in Curry.
And old heads say Kareem was better than Jordan. And older heads say Bill Russell. This is not unique & will happen with every generation.

Well, racism definitely exists there too. Watch European soccer and it's pretty evident they have some major problems, especially in the southern portions of the area. She is white though, so you're probably right in this context and that probably won't be an issue for her.

Racism isn't solely an American problem obviously. This is just the media capital of the world so it's displayed more.

Personally, I live the hate she gets. It only emboldens who we think she is, the best. People are trying to stand in her way because they know what she will do going forward. It may not be immediate, like Curry wasn't, but it will happen and they all know it. Gonna be a fun ride to watch those that hate her stand in silence and eventually recognize you're witnessing the greatest to do it. Yeah, that'll be nice.
Yes, that's what I meant. Being white, she wouldn't have the same issues in Europe as she would in the States. That being said, being an American in Europe could pose some xenophobia from her teammates.

Reactions: AEG82

Personally, I live the hate she gets. It only emboldens who we think she is, the best. People are trying to stand in her way because they know what she will do going forward. It may not be immediate, like Curry wasn't, but it will happen and they all know it. Gonna be a fun ride to watch those that hate her stand in silence and eventually recognize you're witnessing the greatest to do it. Yeah, that'll be nice.
She may not have to deal with "racism" from the fans, but I can absolutely guarantee she will from many of the other players. Don't kid yourself.

So best tournament, WHY because they won? Clark scored an all time record 191 pts, had the most assists, and in the three elite games scored 41, (triple dub, NEVER EVER done before) 41, and 31 pts, all numbers that have NEVER been seen. If your saying that Swoopes was better because they won the title, I hate to tell you, but its a team game.

The talent level now vs when Swopes when playing is not in the same universe. The teams Iowa played in the NCAA tournament were a plethora of top-level players, not a selective few as was then. Iowa defeated unbeatable, undefeated South Carolina with its WNBA laden talent. The LSU game was a shit game and will be considered controversial for the pathetic officiating. No qualifying will change the game results or the controversy.

And old heads say Kareem was better than Jordan. And older heads say Bill Russell. This is not unique & will happen with every generation.
Someone had to get the ball to those guys for them to be (very) successful.

I was listing players who were able to create on their own.

Geez. Who the heck cares what an old women's player that has been out of sight out of mind for over a decade. I can't believe how people just can't let something this minor go. It's a person's opinion, although it may be an ill-informed opinion. Give it up.

Reactions: peacehawk
FWIW, she referred to Kelsey Plum by first name and indicated that Clark breaking Plum’s record should come with an asterisk.

Kelsey Plum is white.
SS didn't make it about race with what she said, but I think people are delusional if they don't think her critiques and false information are coming from a place of race. Swoopes and Staley can't stand that CC is getting so much national media attention, can't stand that she's the reason 18,000 fans are packing arenas, can't stand that she is THE story of WBB. Swap out CC for JuJu Watkins, and they'd be celebrating it, 100%.

And yet THIS writer gets the "you can't see me" wrong with what CC did. Are all writers and commentators lazy as hell when it comes to getting facts straight?
Lol, I noticed that too. Van Lith even put it to bed by saying it wasn't directed at her personally, or anyone on Louisville, but CCs own bench. They remain friends apparently. They can't even defend CC without getting something wrong.

The media sucks lol. Everyone knows everything, as long as everything is based on subjectivity.

Last edited:
Geez. Who the heck cares what an old women's player that has been out of sight out of mind for over a decade. I can't believe how people just can't let something this minor go. It's a person's opinion, although it may be an ill-informed opinion. Give it up.
Just my opinion but Iowa fans aren't the most forgiving. It's pretty common knowledge amongst media members to tread lightly as we're a sensitive and defensive group. It's the reason people like Dan Patrick avoid rousing us, he's stated this explicitly and I've heard it on his show warning his team on air directly on multiple occasions, and also why Colin Cowherd makes us a go to for a ratings boost. I've seen a lot of fanbases living all over the country and Iowa fans take slights far more personally than most. Trust me.

Just my opinion but Iowa fans aren't the most forgiving. It's pretty common knowledge amongst media members to tread lightly as we're a sensitive and defensive group. It's the reason people like Dan Patrick avoid rousing us, he's stated this explicitly and I've heard it on his show warning his team on air directly on multiple occasions, and also why Colin Cowherd makes us a go to for a ratings boost. I've seen a lot of fanbases living all over the country and Iowa fans take slights far more personally than most. Trust me.
I agree. Probably because Iowa doesn’t have a pro team in any sport. The Hawks are the pro team. Though most Iowans whine about pro sports so I doubt a pro team would have that much backing from the locals.

Reactions: AEG82
The talent level now vs when Swopes when playing is not in the same universe. The teams Iowa played in the NCAA tournament were a plethora of top-level players, not a selective few as was then. Iowa defeated unbeatable, undefeated South Carolina with its WNBA laden talent. The LSU game was a shit game and will be considered controversial for the pathetic officiating. No qualifying will change the game results or the controversy.
I'd agree totally with this . Back then there were 4 or 5 really good teams. The talent level now is much higher now throughout the game. That was my point about the NCAA elite 8 run. We played three of the top 8 teams, (top 2 for sure) and she dropped a a 36pt 9 assist average against the very best teams in the game. I'd put that over what Swoopes faced without question.....

Reactions: NI hawk
Because it wasn't an opinion, she was passing this off as factual information.....

Totally agree with this!

Reactions: Wadukester

Has it been mentioned in all these comments that 1993 was the year Iowa was in the Final Four under coach Stringer? And Iowa almost played Swoopes and Texas Tech for the title, that is if Iowa had beaten Ohio St and almost did.

f

I don’t think we know that for sure. What’s for certain is it’s been several days and I have not heard an apology yet. The sign of a small person
My hunch is, the odds of Swoopes apologizing to a white woman is zero. She has time to prove me wrong.

White people don’t have the market cornered on racism.

FWIW, she referred to Kelsey Plum by first name and indicated that Clark breaking Plum’s record should come with an asterisk.

Kelsey Plum is white.
Yes...she is white....and she was white in college when racial tensions were not so overt as they are right now. Also do you remember all the attention Kelsey was given by all the national media? Me either.

Well,...in both cases they prove their cases. BTW, I don't recall her saying she has unlimited range, but if she did I wouldn't mind. She does and I don't believe she is a braggard.

Speaking of the unlimited range topic, Steven A Smith, a black man, on several occasions has stated that CC can pull up from the parking lot.

Patrick Mahomes, another black man, had a ton of praise for CC yesterday; he said she'd kill him if they went 1 on 1.

Imagine that. Black men building CC up while Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, Angel Reese and Sheryl Swoopes try to tear CC down. I honestly think these women are hoping that they are successful in doing that.

Speaking of the unlimited range topic, Steven A Smith, a black man, on several occasions has stated that CC can pull up from the parking lot.

Patrick Mahomes, another black man, had a ton of praise for CC yesterday; he said she'd kill him if they went 1 on 1.

Imagine that. Black men building CC up while Kim Mulkey, Dawn Staley, Angel Reese and Sheryl Swoopes try to tear CC down. I honestly think these women are hoping that they are successful in doing that.
Excellent point Fran, excellent point.

Excellent point Fran, excellent point.

Here are the 2 videos of 2 Black men building CC up.

Here is the Mahomes video.

I am no fan of Steven A Smith but he's been beating the Caitlin drum for a while now.

This video is from Thurs. Feb 1; they discuss whether CC is the biggest star in basketball, both college AND pro. Stephen says she has the potential to be the biggest female star ever because she can pull up from the parking lot and she has a wonderful personality.

Hit the PLAY button:

Iowa fans are among the most defensive fanbases in the country.

We will not tolerate anyone giving us criticism for anything, unless it's us doing the criticism!!!!.........................and even then we have resident posters shaming fellow Iowa fans for being negative or critical about things even when it
How has Raygun not made a T-shirt out of this incident yet? It could be their greatest one ever.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT