ADVERTISEMENT

SI article on Frost

UCF was 0-12 before Frost, and 2 years later they claimed a National Title. Remember, UCF had no history, no facilities, no fans, and no administrative support. So now here's Frost at Nebraska ,with all it's fans, history, facilities, and university and state support. Every advantage possible, right?

So how long will it take him to go undefeated and win his second Natty, Huskers? 1 year or 2? I guess we'll find out whether CFU or UNL is the better program in just a couple years!

I love it when red fans like you cry when UN gets bitch slapped by 30,40,50 points. Guess what, it's going to happen more often because Scotty's UCF team didn't play defense and the Pinkskirts are only going to get worse.

Defense wins championships.

That is a really good and accurate take on Alverez at Nebraska. He was not an Osborne disciple. That is really poor journalism on the part of SI. The writer was either lazy or dishonest.
Barry is quoted - many times- ‘I learned football from Bob Devaney, organization from Hayden Fry, and motivation from Lou Holz’. Never TO until Frost inserted this.

Frost is perfect for Nebraska, like Pollard is for ISU. He relates to his base and easily lathers them up. His base believes Nebraska is the coolest, best, etc. that said, I like Frost and he has a lot to work with at Neb...but no more than essentially his entire conference. I do think he’ll do well.

I live in Lincoln, it has a tongoing for it. Incredible growth the past 10 years. I have also lived other places and traveled extensively. Where Frost and his base are misguided- Nebraska’s facilities are no better than most of the conference, and from a ‘cool’ factor UNL and Lincoln lag behind. Madison, Iowa City, Chicago and Minneapolis in the B1G West for people that look in from the outside. The outside isn’t his base, and what he said about Barry emulating Osborne will soon become fact to his base on the inside.

Yes, Shoddy work from SI from only one perspective.

UCF was 0-12 before Frost, and 2 years later they claimed a National Title. Remember, UCF had no history, no facilities, no fans, and no administrative support. So now here's Frost at Nebraska ,with all it's fans, history, facilities, and university and state support. Every advantage possible, right?

So how long will it take him to go undefeated and win his second Natty, Huskers? 1 year or 2? I guess we'll find out whether CFU or UNL is the better program in just a couple years!
UCF was 12-1 in 2013 with O'Leary as coach. 2015 was an ugly transition year because O'Leary was stepping down. UCF is obviously in the center of some pretty fertile recruiting territory ... even with them getting the sloppy seconds from Florida, FSU, and Miami.

Also, the conference UCF is in, isn't renown for its strength. Thus, even while UCF was obviously an excellent team ... I wouldn't necessarily tag them as being terribly different from PJ Fleck's Western Michigan squad from 2 years back. While I think that both Fleck and Frost are fine young coaches ... I also think that they're still guys who have plenty to learn and it will be interesting to see how their coaching careers continue to progress.

I agree with prior posters in pointing how many seeming "up and comers" in the coaching world ... like Rich Rod, Brady Hoke, etc .... often fail to make their mark in the Big 10. The Big 10 is a varied conference featuring a diversity of defensive and offensive schemes ... making preps that much harder for teams on a week-to-week basis. Furthermore, the weather can significantly impact the play ... and a lot of Big 10 teams seem to possess some "toughness" that you just don't commonly see in all the other conferences. Thus, promising coaches who are pure "schemers" ... they don't always fare so well in our conference. Coaches have to be a little more well-rounded in this conference in order to enjoy success.

This is going to be epic the next few years watching the contrasts, seeing Frost and Nebby going up against pound it out programs like Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern and the big time crossovers they will go up against that also are physical football programs.

Frost I doubt coached much against these types at Oregon and UCF...let alone half a season or more of games against it.

For the record, I do believe they will improve under him. I just have no clue what the peak will be, and if they can sustain that peak.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Please tell us Hawk fans what your expectations for Frost is. Don't just come here and mouth off. Tell us.

Come here? This is an Iowa message board

I think frost will do fine. As others have said, the trick will be the defense for Nebraska. Offensively they have been solid at least but their defense hasn’t been right since Colorado whipped them 15 years ago.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Barry is quoted - many times- ‘I learned football from Bob Devaney, organization from Hayden Fry, and motivation from Lou Holz’. Never TO until Frost inserted this.

Frost is perfect for Nebraska, like Pollard is for ISU. He relates to his base and easily lathers them up. His base believes Nebraska is the coolest, best, etc. that said, I like Frost and he has a lot to work with at Neb...but no more than essentially his entire conference. I do think he’ll do well.

I live in Lincoln, it has a tongoing for it. Incredible growth the past 10 years. I have also lived other places and traveled extensively. Where Frost and his base are misguided- Nebraska’s facilities are no better than most of the conference, and from a ‘cool’ factor UNL and Lincoln lag behind. Madison, Iowa City, Chicago and Minneapolis in the B1G West for people that look in from the outside. The outside isn’t his base, and what he said about Barry emulating Osborne will soon become fact to his base on the inside.

Fair assessment ... I live in Lincoln too. Pretty much mirrors what I'd say.

I just remember a year back when I was writing how Husker fans were continuously hankering to have Frost as their new coach ... and then NLegend reprimands me and claims that I'm making up "fake news." The fact of the matter is that since I live in Lincoln ... I was simply parroting what I had heard from Husker fans in town ... and yet the exact word-of-mouth I had heard from the majority of fans with whom I interact constituted "fake news."

A year later ... I guess it wasn't "fake news," eh?

Remember, UCF had no history, no facilities, no fans, and no administrative support.

UCF's recent history:
2014 9-4
2013 12-1 #10 in final AP poll
2012 10-4
2010 11-3 #20 in final AP poll
2009 8-5
2007 10-4

Not exactly the football backwater you make them out to be.

Edit: @ghostOfHomer777 sort of beat me to it.

Last edited:

Are you serious? They transitioned from FCS in the mid-90’s. You don’t do that without administrative support, facilities, or fans. They were 127-115 in their first 20 years in FBS including 2 years at 0-11 and 0-12, with several bowl wins and conference championships, not exactly chumps. O’Leary was 31-9 in his last 3 season before the transition year and then Frost took over.

Nebraska's defense has not been a talent issue for 15+ years. Bo's defense had a schematic flaw in it when he played teams like Wisconsin. It happened at Nebraska in 2003, it happened at LSU, and it happened at Nebraska when he was head coach. It was just a kryptonite to his defense.

Riley? Last year wasnt even defense. Nebraska gave up 50+ point to Iowa & Minnesota. Those offenses were straight up garbage. Nebraska would have to have like DII talent to justify giving up 50+ point to Minnesota if it was a talent issue.

Reactions: loper and jeans15
Wow, Sports Ill. has made it totally clear to me now. The Big 14 is going to return to the days of the past when the conference was dominated by The Ohio State and Michigan. So much for the imbalance between the West and the East divisions! Nebraska and Minnesota have completely cornered the market for coaching and recruiting with their recent Head Football Coach hires. It appears that undefeated seasons for both schools are imminent , but for the ugly reality that the two schools will need to play each other each season. Obviously, Barta needs to cancel Kirk's contract and divert money from football to basketball so that we can become a "basketball school". Given this hardship, a petition to the NCAA to allow for a doubling of wrestling scholarships is also warranted. Maybe, we can get some of our football players to "self indentify" as female and place an added emphasis on softball, volleyball and golf! This is all horrible news!!!

Are you serious? They transitioned from FCS in the mid-90’s. You don’t do that without administrative support, facilities, or fans. They were 127-115 in their first 20 years in FBS including 2 years at 0-11 and 0-12, with several bowl wins and conference championships, not exactly chumps. O’Leary was 31-9 in his last 3 season before the transition year and then Frost took over.
You can't seriously be comparing some G5 team that's only been playing football since 1979 to THE Nebraska Huskers! CF's field only has 44,000 seats! (Since 2004). Braska has history! 9 Nattys! Second most wins! 90k fans a week for 30 years! If it took Frost 2 years to go undefeated in some nobody school, then he will be able to do the same in Lincoln in 1!

Frost definitely knows his fanbase and what they love more than anything, croots! 'Braskers love them thar 'crooting rankings above all other things, even more than runzas! If I had a nickel for every time my co-worker ('Braska fan) crowed about the current year's crop of 'Braska 'croots I'd be a rich, retired sonofagun, I tell ye!

How many of Frost's recruits actually played a significant role last year for his undefeated UCF team? Slim to none would be my guess. Check out them Lincoln-bound new, shiny 'croots though! Tarnation! We're skeered!

Reactions: HawkweyeinSATX
Definetly thought that comment was a joke, since if I remember correctly Fry hired Barry right out of a HC job at a high school. Of course no mention of Iowa, but he threw in Minnesota. Who Knew? One things for sure, this rivalry with the bugeaters is going to heat up the next several years. Should be fun.......;)
Mason City high school I believe

SI had it all wrong about Alvarez being a disciple of Tom Osborne like cecilB points out Alvarez is a disciple of Bob Devaney style of play. Devaney hired Osborne to be the offensive asst in 1964 and he became offensive coordinator in 1969. Alvarez played at Nebraska from 1965-1966-1967.

Nobody is saying Barry didn’t learn anything from Hayden Fry, but he learned power football from Bob Devaney and Alvarez has stated that is the blue print he molded his Wisconsin teams after.

Frost definitely knows his fanbase and what they love more than anything, croots! 'Braskers love them thar 'crooting rankings above all other things, even more than runzas! If I had a nickel for every time my co-worker ('Braska fan) crowed about the current year's crop of 'Braska 'croots I'd be a rich, retired sonofagun, I tell ye!

How many of Frost's recruits actually played a significant role last year for his undefeated UCF team? Slim to none would be my guess. Check out them Lincoln-bound new, shiny 'croots though! Tarnation! We're skeered!

Frost recruited

QB Milton
4 of 5 top rushers
4 of Top 6 WRs

SI had it all wrong about Alvarez being a disciple of Tom Osborne like cecilB points out Alvarez is a disciple of Bob Devaney style of play. Devaney hired Osborne to be the offensive asst in 1964 and he became offensive coordinator in 1969. Alvarez played at Nebraska from 1965-1966-1967.

Nobody is saying Barry didn’t learn anything from Hayden Fry, but he learned power football from Bob Devaney and Alvarez has stated that is the blue print he molded his Wisconsin teams after.
Actually the article we are discussing said by his exclusion that he didn't learn anything from Fry, so there's that. Also as we have discussed here coach Fry hired Barry when he was a HC at an Iowa high school, and it was quite the suprise to many Iowa fans at the time. Now it's certainly possible that Barry ended up coaching in college for someone else, but we'll never know. What we do know is that he got his start at building a very solid resume with his eight years at the University of Iowa. Nothing he has done as a college coach or AD has had a thing to do with Nebraska.

Actually the article we are discussing said by his exclusion that he didn't learn anything from Fry, so there's that. Also as we have discussed here coach Fry hired Barry when he was a HC at an Iowa high school, and it was quite the suprise to many Iowa fans at the time. Now it's certainly possible that Barry ended up coaching in college for someone else, but we'll never know. What we do know is that he got his start at building a very solid resume with his eight years at the University of Iowa. Nothing he has done as a college coach or AD has had a thing to do with Nebraska.

Barry says other wise.. Not going to get in a pissy match we both can agree to disagree.

yes, and something else from his other two influences...Fry and Holz.

Now for the Nebraska and Iowa fans that want to be in a pissing match about Barry and what he learned from who...he learned to be essentially a .500 Big Ten coach from Fry and Devaney, that got run out of the conference by whippersnappers Ferentz and Dantonio. Wisky has gotten only stronger after Barry the great moved to a desk job. So there's that.

Are Frost and Chryst the new newbies to do it to Ferentz and Dantonio? We'll see. Sorry, I don't take Fleck seriously.

MSU, Iowa, Wisky over a very long period have taken turns ascending to the top tier of the conference then sliding back to above average. Who's cycle is it? Nebraska and splitting the conference add a new variable to the time proven cyclical caste system in the B1G.

Reactions: scarletred
That is neat.
But you can learn as much from a loss as you do from a win. You, above all, should know that.

They only played 8 games a year for the last 5 years?

I don't understand the learning comment. You must have my allegiances confused...maybe not.

Yes, they only played 8 big ten games.

Barry is over hyped and one of the few humans ever alive to commission a statue of himself.

I don't understand the learning comment. You must have my allegiances confused...maybe not.

Yes, they only played 8 big ten games.

Barry is over hyped and one of the few humans ever alive to commission a statue of himself.
We are not talking about the same thing. Good bye

Are you really an Iowa fan? If so, why are you feeding the trolls?
I didn’t read the article - just the summary - and was wondering the same thing? A Nebraska thread on the Iowa board (shocker) that suggest Frost should follow the gold standard of the West - Wisconsin - and makes no mention of Iowa. Wow - I feel better.

He was a High School coach in Nebraska before he coached High School in Iowa.

Barry's statements to a Madison newspaper:

The Nebraska plan has worked to perfection for the University of Wisconsin.

Since he arrived at UW in 1990 as football coach, Barry Alvarez had a plan to build a consistent winner, eventually take over as athletic director and then name his successor to run the football program.

Alvarez formulated that plan after playing for Bob Devaney at Nebraska in the 1960s. Devaney was a legendary coach who became the Cornhuskers’ athletic director, then picked his successor in Tom Osborne in what has to go down among the all-time best back-to-back coaching jobs.

Alvarez took a lot of the best things he saw at Nebraska and tried to incorporate them at UW, from the groundbreaking walk‑on program to a physical style of football to an emphasis on fundamentals.

Argument settled...

Barry's statements to a Madison newspaper:

The Nebraska plan has worked to perfection for the University of Wisconsin.

Since he arrived at UW in 1990 as football coach, Barry Alvarez had a plan to build a consistent winner, eventually take over as athletic director and then name his successor to run the football program.

Alvarez formulated that plan after playing for Bob Devaney at Nebraska in the 1960s. Devaney was a legendary coach who became the Cornhuskers’ athletic director, then picked his successor in Tom Osborne in what has to go down among the all-time best back-to-back coaching jobs.

Alvarez took a lot of the best things he saw at Nebraska and tried to incorporate them at UW, from the groundbreaking walk‑on program to a physical style of football to an emphasis on fundamentals.

Argument settled...
And then there is this. https://www.google.com/amp/host.mad...7a4e25f6-69ad-11df-b397-001cc4c002e0.amp.html and a bunch more like it.

I reside on two sides of the fence fellas... grew up on Nebraska football, then part of the Iowa program. Believe it or not, there was a spike in Nebraska references in the news about 9 years ago. Why is that?

It doesn’t change that Alvy’s an egotistical you know what, or that he has a persona and reputation that exceeded accomplishments. It is quite funny two fan bases are arguing for who influenced him more.

To the latest Husker zealot...google is your friend, and peek beyond the media blitz of when Nebraska joined the B1G. Believe it or not, it existed prior to then

A little snippet from the link above...no mention of TO which I believe started this whole thing...argument closed!

‘Fry is one of three Alvarez mentors already enshrined, along with Bob Devaney and Lou Holtz. Devaney coached Alvarez at Nebraska. Fry gave Alvarez his first college job at Iowa. Holtz hired him for three highly successful seasons at Notre Dame, including the last two as defensive coordinator, before Alvarez came to UW.

"That's awesome, to have my three mentors all there," Alvarez said. "They had so much to do with molding my philosophy and that type of coach I am’

ADVERTISEMENT