ADVERTISEMENT

SI article on Frost

Alvarez took a lot of the best things he saw at Nebraska and tried to incorporate them at UW, from the groundbreaking walk‑on program to a physical style of football to an emphasis on fundamentals.

Argument settled...

This part seriously made me laugh. Devaney's gotta be rolling over in his grave given how soft Nebraska football has become.

Funny, this is what we were all saying to Iowa fans circa 2012. Times change. I like our chances moving forward against Iowa. Other than Mike Riley every Nebraska coach for 40 years had a great record against Iowa.

So Iowa has won 3 in a row....we can relate to that.....at one time Nebraska had what? 4 or 5 in a row.

The biggest problem with Iowa fans is that they cannot be honest.................oh forget it. No sense I trying to open a dialogue here.
Hi. So you just joined "the Iowa Board" as a Nebraska fan. This is your first post. What is Frost going to do? What are your expectations? Conference Champions Year 1? 2? 3? National Champions Year 5? Tell us.

Reactions: IA_Pork4life
How many of Frost's recruits actually played a significant role last year for his undefeated UCF team? Slim to none would be my guess. Check out them Lincoln-bound new, shiny 'croots though! Tarnation! We're skeered!

I mean, one of the most efficient qbs in the nation would be a good start

Or, just sane football fans pointing obvious errors/omissions in SI article.

The only error was saying he modeled Wisconsin after Osborne's program instead of Devaney's. It's prettty simple, it's 1990 and Barry is just hired, does he model his program after the winningest program in college football over the previous 30 years (which is also his alma mater), or after one of the programs where he was an assistant that had averaged 7.4 wins a year under Fry. Wow that's a tough decision?

I love it when there's a fresh dusting of hope in Lincoln. And I love that their biggest problem has been defense, and their solution is a coach who's an absolute joke when it comes to defense. We might put 80 up on them this coming season.
Completely agree. I see us being up by 40-60 points again late in the 3rd quarter. The only interest in the game this year will be if Ferentz decides to back off again for the 4th straight year. Or will he say screw it beat Neb by 90?!

Can’t wait

I read the article and came away thinking that Frost knows exactly what he is doing. He is organized and energetic, which are both vitally important in this day and age. I think it will be a few years before he gets it turned around in Lincoln but it won't be long. As long as he loses to Iowa every year...

Reactions: Allaroundfan
I think when he stated "huge talent base area" he was meaning Georgia, Florida, Cali, Texas. Milwaukee, Chicago or Minnesota aren't HUGE talent bases. Ohio and Michigan are decent but you also have a ton of schools fight for a small group of kids.

The only error was saying he modeled Wisconsin after Osborne's program instead of Devaney's. It's prettty simple, it's 1990 and Barry is just hired, does he model his program after the winningest program in college football over the previous 30 years (which is also his alma mater), or after one of the programs where he was an assistant that had averaged 7.4 wins a year under Fry. Wow that's a tough decision?
No, there are stories that I've read that prior to Barry taking the Wisconsin job when visiting their campus, etc., he noted the lack of student/general fan interest causing him to comment that Iowa (even in down years) generated good fan interest and played a tough physical brand of football. I don't expect you to understand/know B10 history, so I'll cut you a break. While Frost will likely do better than smiling Mike Riley, I'll expect an average of 7.4 wins after a couple of rougher years.

I read the article and came away thinking that Frost knows exactly what he is doing. He is organized and energetic, which are both vitally important in this day and age. I think it will be a few years before he gets it turned around in Lincoln but it won't be long. As long as he loses to Iowa every year...
Careful - you might get called a closet Nebraska fan ;-). All the folks on here suggesting Frost is going to suck and the current Hawkeye dominance is going to remain forever are showing serious judgement flaws. I think Frost will take Nebraska a step further than Pelini. Ferentz has stepped up recruiting and has the best development in the country. In a couple years, I expect more back and forth contests than the cakewalk Riley gave us (and everyone else in the conference) the last few years.

Nebby being who they are... which is basically Peaked in High School Rob Lowe.

rob-lowe.jpg

Holy crap 3 pages on an si article about Nebraska. This was an article about Nebraska not Iowa, not sure why you guys feel slighted for not getting a mention. Enjoy the beatings you’ve handed us over the years and I for one hope this hire gets us closer to competing for division titles and make the final game of the season something to look forward to again.

Reactions: 29_16_feelsgood
Yes, hilarious frost and SI are pushing the narrative that Barry A came from the rich coaching tree of Tom Osborn's. As said, Barry played linebacker while Osborn was an offensive assistant, but then spent 8 years as Hayden Fry's assistant, starting when he arrived and rebuilt Iowa into a power from scratch after 2 decades in the desert.

Sure Barry rebuilt Wisconsin from what he learned in Lincoln, and not what he learned from Fry in IC. Sure he did. Just like Frost learned everything he knows about coaching and turning CMF into champions from playing under Osborn. That Kelly guy in Oregon had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
^ ^ ^
These are the correct facts ~ Coach Frost is attempting to "re-write" history.

Nebraska has definitely been a dumpster fire for the last 15 years. Now on their 4th coach since Osborne, they've been way down from the prior 4 decades and only went 122-72 over that time frame. Iowa with its superior coaching staff and program stability went 121-71 over the same period. Nebraska and Iowa have won the same number of conference championships since Nebraska joined the BIG - 0 each. I don't think either program has much to brag about in recent history. Nebraska is still the winningest program in college football over the past 50 years but they'll begin falling down that list soon if Frost doesn't turn things around. We can talk all we want but the proof will be on the field over the next 5 years.

Reactions: huskersoup
Nebraska has definitely been a dumpster fire for the last 15 years. Now on their 4th coach since Osborne, they've been way down from the prior 4 decades and only went 122-72 over that time frame. Iowa with its superior coaching staff and program stability went 121-71 over the same period. Nebraska and Iowa have won the same number of conference championships since Nebraska joined the BIG - 0 each. I don't think either program has much to brag about in recent history. Nebraska is still the winningest program in college football over the past 50 years but they'll begin falling down that list soon if Frost doesn't turn things around. We can talk all we want but the proof will be on the field over the next 5 years.
As has been well documented in other IA/NE posts...over the timeframe u selected (last 15 years), Iowas’s “highs” have been higher than Nebby, while a couple of Iowa’s “lows” have been lower than Nebby, hence overall record similar. However, in say, the last 3 to 5 years I would think Iowa’s record has been better. Also, in head to head match-ups Iowa has looked & played so much better than Nebby.

No, there are stories that I've read that prior to Barry taking the Wisconsin job when visiting their campus, etc., he noted the lack of student/general fan interest causing him to comment that Iowa (even in down years) generated good fan interest and played a tough physical brand of football. I don't expect you to understand/know B10 history, so I'll cut you a break. While Frost will likely do better than smiling Mike Riley, I'll expect an average of 7.4 wins after a couple of rougher years.

You keep living in your dream world...

Frost can walk on water. That alone should get them Top 25 recruiting classes. Just ask any Husker fan.

I haven't seen him walk on water yet, but I hear there is video. If he can secure the 21st class in the nation in 2 months, while working part-time in Lincoln, I'm pretty sure he can almost always secure a Top 25 class when he and his staff are working full-time.

I'm pretty sure MI has a couple better in state players than braska does each year ;).
Also pretty sure they already "out recruit" wiscy, lot of good that has done......

Gosh, you're still not aware that Mike Riley is no longer in town??? Read much?

I haven't seen him walk on water yet, but I hear there is video. If he can secure the 21st class in the nation in 2 months, while working part-time in Lincoln, I'm pretty sure he can almost always secure a Top 25 class when he and his staff are working full-time.

...and then what happens?

Do you guys win the conference recruiting championship?

Just like with Solich right?
No just like Callahan.
Wait no it is Pellini who was going to save the skirts.
Oops no really it was Reilly that would deliver nebby.

Been more than 15 years that skirt fans have been sure the newest savior is the one. Yet another year goes by and their relevance is still stuck in the VHS era.

When we come and steal your women and children, we'll leave a note.

Was playing a bit of football trivia with mostly Husker/Hawk fans last night. There was some debate on how many Titles Nebraska won without a convicted criminal on the roster. I'm pretty sure it's zero?

Reactions: Blackleaf40
Was playing a bit of football trivia with mostly Husker/Hawk fans last night. There was some debate on how many Titles Nebraska won without a convicted criminal on the roster. I'm pretty sure it's zero?

That's no surprise. I doubt there is any team that has won a national title that didn't have a convicted criminal on their roster.

Reactions: husker_kid32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT