ADVERTISEMENT

So how did they break Cade?

Agreed. QB’s tend to play scared when they have a sieve for an OL. Our OL is better than last year, but not by much. They’re still kind of a mess.
It’s not a dominant OL but I would say they are better than last year by a good amount. Some of the problem is that Cade basically has Petras’ mobility with his injury. The passing by him wasn’t very good though today. Hopefully just a bad day.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Cade used to be decent. He was surrounded by a lot of talent. I feel like us Iowa fans forget he was benched for another QB even after taking a team to the playoffs. He’s better than recent QBs we have had but he isn’t all-Big like most fans were hoping.
I feel like he is playing hurt.

Reactions: ChuckBarkley
After Brian ripped him about the interception at the end of the first half he looked scared to make a mistake
Yeah — not a real professional or constructive demeanor with his QB. Pretty much a basket case on the sideline. Sure to be fodder for plenty of memes. Pretty embarrassing display by an OC. I’m sure Cade wasn’t impressed.

Yeah — not a real professional or constructive demeanor with his QB. Pretty much a basket case on the sideline. Sure to be fodder for plenty of memes. Pretty embarrassing display by an OC. I’m sure Cade wasn’t impressed.
BF is an entitled shit who deserves nothing but ridicule. I know several people who have had interactions with him, and not one had anything positive to say about the guy. He’s fvcking garbage.

Made a comment on it in August from a practice video. During practice (no rush, no pads), every time he threw the ball, he patted it at least once, maybe twice. Should have been addressed then. INT will keep coming when he hesitates.

Reactions: vacuum_cleaner
I think he’s fine. As Anthony Herron mentioned a couple times, his mechanics looked a tiny bit off, likely due to his injury. Think about how much those guys use their legs in throwing. That’s going to bite him at times.

Pretty ironic. QB makes one wrong read and cost Brain some points. Brain has called terrible games for years and usually gets bailed out by the D. I would guess Parker would love to share some choice words with Brain on the sidelines.

I wondered if he double pumped at Michigan. So I watched the Michigan highlights for him. I only watched 3:30 minutes but he probably threw 12-15 passes. Not once did he double pump. So maybe a combination of him worrying about getting sacked and not trusting his receivers to be where they are supposed to be. So he waits for them to come wide open which isn't happening.

Lots of passes with lots of time today. Route tree is brutally flawed.
As a friend said to me. It’s just so agonizing watching us try and pass. We make it look so difficult. You don’t even see Iowa try or barley see us doing basic slants and 5 yard outs as we use to see in the past. But today was just so predictable we threw on obvious throwing downs or 5 wide sets in early downs. Not till late in 4th hit play action to All and was wondering where was the play action all day. That’s one of my biggest gripes with BF he doesn’t put his unit in a position to succeed with his play calls, formations etc.

Seems like the wr trust is low and is holding on the ball a little long and making sure wr's route is correct, he had Anderson wide open had he thrown it Early on the pick before half.

Seems like the wr trust is low and is holding on the ball a little long and making sure wr's route is correct, he had Anderson wide open had he thrown it Early on the pick before half.
He's been late on a lot of throws this year. It might be trust like you're saying. In any case there seems to be a lot of hesitation and it's hard to see it getting better after 2 bad picks today followed by Brian's histrionics on the sideline.

Far too many cases where the DL was pouring in and swarming Cade, especially at home against a very weak opponent. This OL will get destroyed in Happy Valley.
I'm more confident in the oline than I was a week or 2 ago. My confidence in our QB and passing game in general couldn't be much lower. I keep waiting for it to improve but today against a defense that allowed almost 350 yards against Syracuse last week, Iowa throws for 133 on 50% passing. They didn't need it, but 6.0 yards per attempt is bad against that opponent and Cade was worse than that.

He used to be a really good QB. I want to believe it's just a health issue that gets better as he heals up, but it feels like it's more than that.
He missed two weeks of preseason and they haven't been able to get the timing down yet. Hopefully they made progress today. He also knows this so his confidence isn't where it needs to be.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I wondered if he double pumped at Michigan. So I watched the Michigan highlights for him. I only watched 3:30 minutes but he probably threw 12-15 passes. Not once did he double pump. So maybe a combination of him worrying about getting sacked and not trusting his receivers to be where they are supposed to be. So he waits for them to come wide open which isn't happening. re
That requirement by the coaching staff has been one of the keys to our historically subpar passing attack.

Umm, Cade threw for 103 yards and two interceptions.
I'm always amazed over the ability of people to ignore/overlook anything that contradicts their belief in something or someone being good even when the numbers prove otherwise. Everyone thought that Cade was going to be great and make the passing game much stronger than it's been the last few years. Everyone still wants to believe that Cade is going to make this passing offense go. The reality is that over 3 games against 2 of the worst defenses Iowa will face, the passing game is still one of the worst in the country and it looked worse in game 3 than in the previous 2. Could it get better? Sure, but so far it's been bad.

He missed two weeks of preseason and they haven't been able to get the timing down yet. Hopefully they made progress today. He also knows this so his confidence isn't where it needs to be.
But they didn't make progress today. 9/19 for 103 yards and 2 ints against that defense doesn’t reflect progress.

But they didn't make progress today. 9/19 for 103 yards and 2 ints against that defense doesn’t reflect progress.
The first half was awful but I thought the offensive line started finally working some things out in the second half. They aren't ready for PSU by any means, but I thought they made progress.

The first half was awful but I thought the offensive line started finally working some things out in the second half. They aren't ready for PSU by any means, but I thought they made progress.
So, we're talking about Cade and the Iowa passing game. In the second half he was 4/6 for 50 yards which is great, but he was sacked 3 times for 26 yards so the net was 24 yards for the half. That ain't so great.

So, we're talking about Cade and the Iowa passing game. In the second half he was 4/6 for 50 yards which is great, but he was sacked 3 times for 26 yards so the net was 24 yards for the half. That ain't so great.
Nope. Baby steps. But they did have a few pass plays that looked good. But given past history, it definitely makes sense to be skeptical that things will get better. After all, the receiver routes will still end up having everyone in the same spot.

As a friend said to me. It’s just so agonizing watching us try and pass. We make it look so difficult. You don’t even see Iowa try or barley see us doing basic slants and 5 yard outs as we use to see in the past. But today was just so predictable we threw on obvious throwing downs or 5 wide sets in early downs. Not till late in 4th hit play action to All and was wondering where was the play action all day. That’s one of my biggest gripes with BF he doesn’t put his unit in a position to succeed with his play calls, formations etc.
They finally committed to running the ball today in the second half. The previous two games they didn't really commit to anything. Play action works really well in this offense when they commit to running the ball and are able to run it.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
They finally committed to running the ball today in the second half. The previous two games they didn't really commit to anything. Play action works really well in this offense when they commit to running the ball and are able to run it.
"able to run it" being the inconsistent/missing piece here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT