ADVERTISEMENT

So this roster and portal dynamic is interesting…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
1st off count me in the camp of one who didn’t lament our roster turning over with early entries when it started happening regularly for us. I said it would be a net positive with engagement, recruiting, development, etc…. and it has.

I also felt the NIL era would work for us and although we were clearly late to the party and a little unlucky with injuries, it seems to have been ok.

I also feel like despite our failings (more on that in a second) we appear to be above average at roster management, retention, talent identification and development.

So with that said, we find ourselves in an odd situation. We need people to move on to keep players growing (and coming in) and playing and bring uncovered.

But there are certainly a number of these guys, Castro and Higgins in particular that would help us immensely….

However do we not potentially have their replacements in house? Defensively we have proven just that in the last several years (5 plus)

However I’ll be the 1st to admit Joe Evans, who I was actually ok with graduating helped us a lot this year…

So I don’t know….

On the failings note, it is uncanny that a program that is pretty remarkable in many, if not most aspects is so poor on most things offensively 🥸

Although 98% of programs are struggling with something. It’s why I focus on net totality, but it is frustrating to say the least.

the defense seems to keep reloading itself year after year. it's very nice to see. probably credit to parker. I think folks might be disappointed with the offense though. I bet they hire an average OC and the offense remains like it always has been.
i would be ok with an average oc and offense but i’m talking kok type 80th offense not bf like 130th

I also feel like despite our failings (more on that in a second) we appear to be above average at roster management, retention, talent identification and development.

On defense and special teams. Now do offense.

On defense and special teams. Now do offense.

It was mentioned…is that it? Defense was my focus as it turns out. To bad you guys are one track every time, all the time🤷‍♂️

It IS my concern per returners, was it not ?

😆

So, the good news is the Hawks have a lot of guys coming back on offense.

The bad news is ................

It's astonishing to me that Iowa can have such a bad offense for several years in a row. It just doesn't seem possible, even though I have seen it with my own eyes.

They do have "some" talent - enough not to be last in D1.
They do have "some" experience - enough to not be last in D1.

So, it has to be coaching IMO. Hopefully a new OC and a healthy Cade M, can make a big difference.

Again, the defensive guys coming back are my thoughts and concerns as it pertains to the portal…

TE and OL too of course, but it seems we have TEs in place 🤷‍♂️

1st off count me in the camp of one who didn’t lament our roster turning over with early entries when it started happening regularly for us. I said it would be a net positive with engagement, recruiting, development, etc…. and it has.

I also felt the NIL era would work for us and although we were clearly late to the party and a little unlucky with injuries, it seems to have been ok.

So with that said, we find ourselves in an odd situation. We need people to move on to keep players growing (and coming in) and playing and bring uncovered.

But there are certainly a number of these guys, Castro and Higgins in particular that would help us immensely….

However do we not potentially have their replacements in house? Defensively we have proven just that in the last several years (5 plus)

However I’ll be the 1st to admit Joe Evans, who I was actually ok with graduating helped us a lot this year…

So I don’t know….

On the failings note, it is uncanny that a program that is pretty remarkable in many, if not most aspects is so poor on most things offensively 🥸

Although 98% of programs are struggling with something. It’s why I focus on net totality, but it is frustrating to say the least.
It’s so cute when you pat yourself on the back.

“Hey babe. Pretty sure I made some really good points in my chat threads today.”

i would be ok with an average oc and offense but i’m talking kok type 80th offense not bf like 130th
If we have a below average offense that can capitalize on gifts our D and ST's generate for us. All of a sudden we put a scare in the blue bloods. It's no longer wear that D down(PSU) or get our own gifts (Michigan).

Reactions: VodkaSam

It's astonishing to me that Iowa can have such a bad offense for several years in a row. It just doesn't seem possible, even though I have seen it with my own eyes.

So, it has to be coaching IMO. Hopefully a new OC and a healthy Cade M, can make a big difference.
ok let’s be honest about our offense by position. QB, below average a D-. Offensive line, below average an F. Tight ends, after the injuries, a B. Wide receivers, a C-. Running backs, C-.
only reason running backs are not lower is we have three that are about equal. Go back and look at our offensive line play on the teams where we had good offensive production. That should indicate for everyone the most relevant snd biggest issue.

If you can’t see the injury bug effects on this yr I’m not sure you’re watching or even understand fball. Take the QB and best 2 receiving options along with partial seasons for your best rb off any team and you will not be good on oFF.

The offense the past 2 years has been very poor, terrible is some games or halves of games. So when we talk avg OC we are talking someone who can find ways to get another 100 yards per game so up to about 350 a game, plus other metrics and like better 3rd down and redzone conversions. So avg is a big jump us for the hawks

If you can’t see the injury bug effects on this yr I’m not sure you’re watching or even understand fball. Take the QB and best 2 receiving options along with partial seasons for your best rb off any team and you will not be good on oFF.
Yeah, I get that. But, all is said was there is enough talent to not be last in the FBS.

Last edited:
I understand the injuries and admit they had an effect on our offense. But you can only use that excuse so long. It is called depth that needs to be developed. Winning 10 games this year is a credit to the players and coaches, but everyone has injuries. Iowa is not getting any Offensive players out of the portal, until we have a OC.

Reactions: shudaddy
I understand the injuries and admit they had an effect on our offense. But you can only use that excuse so long. It is called depth that needs to be developed. Winning 10 games this year is a credit to the players and coaches, but everyone has injuries. Iowa is not getting any Offensive players out of the portal, until we have a OC.
I think people are putting wayyyyyy too much into their hopes and dreams on this OC. I know they are.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Next man in right?? Isn’t that what the iowa coaches all say? Why should we now start making excuses for injuries all of a sudden?!?

The offense the past 2 years has been very poor, terrible is some games or halves of games. So when we talk avg OC we are talking someone who can find ways to get another 100 yards per game so up to about 350 a game, plus other metrics and like better 3rd down and redzone conversions. So avg is a big jump us for the hawks
When you stop and think about it. No way would Hayden Fry put up with what was happening these past couple years on offense. Kirk did and didn't try to make any changes to remedy that crappy offense. Hayden I believe would have at least tried something different.

Reactions: shudaddy
It’s so cute when you pat yourself on the back.

“Hey babe. Pretty sure I made some really good points in my chat threads today.”

Lol….this your 1st time reading people on this message board, or your own tripe for that matter.

Hell, everyone that responded to your comment is in that camp. It’s a strategy designed to deflect when you have nothing positive to add (you rarely do) and throw shade because, again you have nothing of importance to add and the comment comes from someone who irritates you 🤷‍♂️

Wish there was a way we could add this guy:

Michigan State Loses TE Maliq Carr​

Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

Career Stats: 37 Games | 55 catches, 711 yards, 5 TD

The Latest: Maliq Carr is still in the transfer portal as of 12/18/2023.

Next man in right?? Isn’t that what the iowa coaches all say? Why should we now start making excuses for injuries all of a sudden?!?

I’m not sure why I bother but if I bring in a high profile GM to run my business and then he brings in a cookie important pieces and then immediately the GM dies and 2 pieces get cancer…

I’d probably understand it affected some dynamics. While still agreeing it is what it is, you still have to even the doors…

I’m looking forward to having a top 60 offense, similar stout D and then still go 8-4 and the questions that follow.

I think the OL was an F for 2021 and 2022.

For 2023, I think we were a solid D, maybe even a D+.
I appreciate your view. I just think when a line can’t run block or pass block they don’t deserve a passing grade. Watch the 1991 Hawkeye Ohio State game and the offensive line’s pass blocking….the 2002 line run blocking…..the difference is so scary.

When you stop and think about it. No way would Hayden Fry put up with what was happening these past couple years on offense. Kirk did and didn't try to make any changes to remedy that crappy offense. Hayden I believe would have at least tried something different.

Good point. Like 98 when they scored 14 pts or less 8 times.

How about 97, one of the most talented Iowa teams in the last 45 years…who scored 50-60 vs shit teams and then 7, 10, 14 & 7 vs the teams that played good D.

Or maybe 93 on the way to 6-6 and scoring 0, 7, 10, 3, 10 on the way to 214pts in 12 games…

Or maybe 92 when they scored 14, 7, 12, 16, 15, 14, 13….and on and on and on.

Here’s the point, and why I love it when people bring up other teams, or coaches, thinking it helps them make their point. Rarely does it… in fact, it is the cusp of my long-standing feud with disingenuous people that can’t see more than 10 feet straight ahead.

Hayden Fry was the savior of Iowa football no doubt, but he was as much a great psychologist, behaviorist, and PR guy, as he was anything else….

It also helped that the Big Ten was pretty much abysmal outside of Ohio State & Michigan when he got here…

Anyone that has any historical insight can look backwards and know he had some real stinkers on offense over the years…

His legend is bigger than the Reality. If KF got the HF treatment he’d be revered.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkdo
Wish there was a way we could add this guy:

Michigan State Loses TE Maliq Carr​

Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

Career Stats: 37 Games | 55 catches, 711 yards, 5 TD

The Latest: Maliq Carr is still in the transfer portal as of 12/18/2023.

Isn’t that the kid who was torching us until he got hurt?! I’d live to have him.

I think the OL was an F for 2021 and 2022.

For 2023, I think we were a solid D, maybe even a D+.
Agreed regarding 2022. In 2021 Linderbaum was great, and his play alone takes that group up a notch. So at least a D for that group. This past season the line improved noticeably after the PSU game. The running game was solid and Hill usually had sufficient time to throw. I think they earned a solid C. Still plenty of room for improvement.

Reactions: ichawk24
Good point. Like 98 when they scored 14 pts or less 8 times.

How about 97, one of the most talented Iowa teams in the last 45 years…who scored 50-60 vs shit teams and then 7, 10, 14 & 7 vs the teams that played good D.

Or maybe 93 on the way to 6-6 and scoring 0, 7, 10, 3, 10 on the way to 214pts in 12 games…

Or maybe 92 when they scored 14, 7, 12, 16, 15, 14, 13….and in and on and on.

Here’s the point, and why I love it when people bring up other teams, or coaches, thinking it helps them make their point. Rarely does it… in fact, it is the cusp of my long-standing feud with disingenuous people that can’t see more than 10 feet straight ahead.

Hayden Fry was the savior of Iowa football no doubt, but he was as much a great psychologist, behaviorist, and PR guy, as he was anything else….

It also helped that the Big Ten was pretty much abysmal outside of Ohio State State Michigan when he got here…

Anyone that has any historical insight can look backwards and know he had some real stinkers on offense over the years…

His legend is bigger than the Reality. If KF got the HF treatment he’d be revered.
Kirk is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Yep, Hayden was a former qb, a good one, who was probably a QB whisperer. He was not afraid to change qbs as he did it several times in high profile situations. Pete Gales was replaced by Bohannon during a Rose Bowl run, Chuck Hartlieb may have been the one who replaced McQwire when it was evident McQwire had a slow drop back and delivery, not sure if Rodgers and Sherman came in to replace starters.

Anyway, the point is Hayden knew what he thought his offense could do and how to improve it.

I think it is and was utterly, what us a kind word, stupid and Ostrich-like, the way Kirk just keeps saying business as usual, just keep trying, keep practicing while the offense stays ranked in the bottom 3%. But when that doesnt work, I mean you can try new run blocking schemes, new formations like 2 running backs with them shifting and in motion all over the place, more trick and gimmicky plays to try to fool the opponent and get chunk yardage plays.

Look what the Mich OC/OLine coach Moore did in this year's penn st game. He went the whole 2nd half running, maybe a couple of pass plays that turned into QB runs, but the personnel was very different with 7 Olinemen sometimes with 2 TEnds, a qb and 1 running back. And sometimes 1 extra Olinemen in with only 1 wide receiver split out and and still 2 TEnds in tight

Agreed regarding 2022. In 2021 Linderbaum was great, and his play alone takes that group up a notch. So at least a D for that group. This past season the line improved noticeably after the PSU game. The running game was solid and Hill usually had sufficient time to throw. I think they earned a solid C. Still plenty of room for improvement.
I think I agree with this for the most part. The oline isn't great, but it's not as horrific as it was last year or even the first half of this year. Honestly, it's hard to grade any unit on that side of the ball because I feel like the whole offense was so broken.. The running game was bad for the most part all season. They averaged 4 yards per carry only twice in the last 7 games and less than half a yard vs Minnesota. I give them a C- grade if I had to today.

Is there anyone else that's concerned that perhaps McNamara might not be all that and a bag of chips when he returns. He wasn't exactly scintillating when he was playing (and yes, I know he was banged up)?

Reactions: IGot5onIt
Is there anyone else that's concerned that perhaps McNamara might not be all that and a bag of chips when he returns. He wasn't exactly scintillating when he was playing (and yes, I know he was banged up)?
Shall see. I can't recall but is Cade supposed to be ready for spring ball? Will have the new OC in place then as well.

Kirk and Hayden couldn't have been further apart personality wise or coaching philosophies.

Reactions: Speedway1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT