ADVERTISEMENT

So this roster and portal dynamic is interesting…

Yep, Hayden was a former qb, a good one, who was probably a QB whisperer. He was not afraid to change qbs as he did it several times in high profile situations. Pete Gales was replaced by Bohannon during a Rose Bowl run, Chuck Hartlieb may have been the one who replaced McQwire when it was evident McQwire had a slow drop back and delivery, not sure if Rodgers and Sherman came in to replace starters.

Anyway, the point is Hayden knew what he thought his offense could do and how to improve it.

I think it is and was utterly, what us a kind word, stupid and Ostrich-like, the way Kirk just keeps saying business as usual, just keep trying, keep practicing while the offense stays ranked in the bottom 3%. But when that doesnt work, I mean you can try new run blocking schemes, new formations like 2 running backs with them shifting and in motion all over the place, more trick and gimmicky plays to try to fool the opponent and get chunk yardage plays.

Look what the Mich OC/OLine coach Moore did in this year's penn st game. He went the whole 2nd half running, maybe a couple of pass plays that turned into QB runs, but the personnel was very different with 7 Olinemen sometimes with 2 TEnds, a qb and 1 running back. And sometimes 1 extra Olinemen in with only 1 wide receiver split out and and still 2 TEnds in tight

Except when he didn’t…might want to check the ACTUAL historical records before you lift someone up above the current coach who has honestly outperformed hm in most measurable metrics.

Marc Morehouse put out some info a few years ago before leaving the gazette…

KF vs top tier competition, total success, etc…hands down outperformed.

Nobody has a clue about Hayden anymore. They make assumptions that are easily disproven by honing backwards and looking at scores and records….

Would love it if they (Barnett) posted videos of the OL film review sessions.
And Barnett says the scout team or FR OL is pretty salty, time will tell yet that was a pretty damn good recruiting class. For this next class too and the LB trio is going to be special.

Lol….this your 1st time reading people on this message board, or your own tripe for that matter.

Hell, everyone that responded to your comment is in that camp. It’s a strategy designed to deflect when you have nothing positive to add (you rarely do) and throw shade because, again you have nothing of importance to add and the comment comes from someone who irritates you 🤷‍♂️
🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: cmhawks99
Poster 1: Hayden never would have allowed a garbage offense!

Poster 2: Here are the years Hayden allowed a garbage offense

Poster 1: You must be Kirk

Exactly…these cats have never met a fact they couldn’t jump over!

I suggest you use this site to look up past records versus good teams, the amount of times Hayden’s offense scored under 10 points and how poor the big 10 really was in the 80s….

Was the Big ten that you describe in the 80's worse than the Big Ten West has been the last 2 years? Because the answer is no.

Northwestern and Wisconsin were gawd awful.
They were. NW came alive mid 90's and grabbed a few championships. 80's was a really bad time for Wisconsin. Of course every coach that comes around and lasts as long as both Kirk and Hayden at a school like Iowa are going to have some ups and downs. Hayden got a Big Ten championship in 81, 85 and had that crazy 4 way time in 90. Both have been really good coaches. It's certainly ok to question Kirk on what is happening w/the offense moving forward. That's all anyone is saying. When he continues to go out and make fun of guys throwing the ball around and things like that it makes him look silly when you've been as bad at offense as we have been the last 3 years.

Is there anyone else that's concerned that perhaps McNamara might not be all that and a bag of chips when he returns. He wasn't exactly scintillating when he was playing (and yes, I know he was banged up)?
You mean the guy that will have played like six football games total in the past two and a half years (including missing two spring seasons) when the season kicks off in 2024??? In all seriousness I think we all hope Cade is the guy. But not having another quarterback ready to go for whatever reason in 2024 is a huge, huge risk. I guess our best hope is that Lainez is ready.

Reactions: littlez
Was the Big ten that you describe in the 80's worse than the Big Ten West has been the last 2 years? Because the answer is no.

LOL….thanks for giving me more air time to prove my point….

Pick a time frame, really, but….

From 1981 until 1990 HFs best time frame. He played 58 teams with .500 or less records.

Mostly Big10 teams.

Without looking because I’ve ran this argument down many times before by people who just have no clue… Kirks would be at worst similar while playing more games….

And in fact, impacted heavily by a couple monumentally bad years for opponents like this last year and 2020 Covid year for example.

It’s a losing argument on your end!

• Haha
They were. NW came alive mid 90's and grabbed a few championships. 80's was a really bad time for Wisconsin. Of course every coach that comes around and lasts as long as both Kirk and Hayden at a school like Iowa are going to have some ups and downs. Hayden got a Big Ten championship in 81, 85 and had that crazy 4 way time in 90. Both have been really good coaches. It's certainly ok to question Kirk on what is happening w/the offense moving forward. That's all anyone is saying. When he continues to go out and make fun of guys throwing the ball around and things like that it makes him look silly when you've been as bad at offense as we have been the last 3 years.

That’s actually NOT all anyone is saying. If that was ALL anyone was saying we wouldn’t be having this convo and you honestly know that. People are so disingenuous anymore.

Hell this board would be awesome if that’s ALL you were saying. Shit you basically admit that’s not ALL your saying while making up some bullshit statement “making fun “ of people throwing the ball all around…

The thing is people actually believe the bullshit they spew….

I was live and in person at two or three games where hayden was coaching and dang it if Iowa couldn't buy a first down and dang sure couldn't score. one was the first night game and it was miami. I think it would have been maybe 1993. one was the sun bowl against ASU. I think that might have been 1996 or so. Also the innaugural alamobowl against cal. Also, I was live and in person when hayden got his first ever shut out loss in kinnick against penn st. Sed Shaw was playing. many times hayden had pretty bad offenses despite having dwight and sed shaw and tavian banks and so on.

Except when he didn’t…might want to check the ACTUAL historical records before you lift someone up above the current coach who has honestly outperformed hm in most measurable metrics.

Marc Morehouse put out some info a few years ago before leaving the gazette…

KF vs top tier competition, total success, etc…hands down outperformed.

Nobody has a clue about Hayden anymore. They make assumptions that are easily disproven by honing backwards and looking at scores and records….

Wow, you are really BUTT HURT about what I said. You just dont get it. Hayden ended 2 friggin decades of losing. When Hayden retired he had already proven that Iowa could have winning records and go as far as a #1 ranking. Fry won more often than not.

Also, Kirk inherited a team with a lot of really good players on it that Fry and his staff had recruited.

I would say you are looking at this history thru your KirkF rose colored glasses. Kirk has done a great job but he also has made a lot of in game coaching mistakes over the years. Those mistakes has only caused him to not win 20+ more games

I was live and in person at two or three games where hayden was coaching and dang it if Iowa couldn't buy a first down and dang sure couldn't score. one was the first night game and it was miami. I think it would have been maybe 1993. one was the sun bowl against ASU. I think that might have been 1996 or so. Also the innaugural alamobowl against cal. Also, I was live and in person when hayden got his first ever shut out loss in kinnick against penn st. Sed Shaw was playing. many times hayden had pretty bad offenses despite having dwight and sed shaw and tavian banks and so on.

Great memory and I also was at that Miami night game!

Wow, you are really BUTT HURT about what I said. You just dont get it. Hayden ended 2 friggin decades of losing. When Hayden retired he had already proven that Iowa could have winning records and go as far as a #1 ranking. Fry won more often than not.

Also, Kirk inherited a team with a lot of really good players on it that Fry and his staff had recruited.

I would say you are looking at this history thru your KirkF rose colored glasses. Kirk has done a great job but he also has made a lot of in game coaching mistakes over the years. Those mistakes has only caused him to not win 20+ more games

Yes I am so butthurt that, this nonsensical response is the best you could come up with.

Fry won more often than not, WTF, so has KF….

I’m 53, the only reason Fry’s warts are overlooked is because of the 2 decades of losing, it seems you don’t get it…😂 it’s been so long now people hate hearing about it 🤷‍♂️

KF hasn’t proved Iowa can have a winning record and go to #2….at the end of his career, not the beginning 🤔

Hayden didn’t lose games he should have won…hmmm

KF took over a 3-8 team that most Iowa fans readily admit didn’t have much talent do to Hayden‘s recruiting falling off amidst a cancer diagnosis the last couple years?

Are you sure you’ve watched Iowa football…🤪

Great memory and I also was at that Miami night game!
that miami game, I was there with a bunch of ottumwa dudes of course. so my friend looks up in the stands and there is tom arnold. we were near the south end zone. opposite the student section, where they used to put opposing teams all the time. we see tom grab this drunk dude and tell him to go down there and tackle the darn miami mascot. { which we learned later could have been a girl in that uniform, maybe, did not confirm it. } so anywho the drunk dude goes running down there, on the field. past security. tackles the mascot. he goes to jail. it said in the paper the next day tom appologized and bailed the dude out.

ok let’s be honest about our offense by position. QB, below average a D-. Offensive line, below average an F. Tight ends, after the injuries, a B. Wide receivers, a C-. Running backs, C-.
only reason running backs are not lower is we have three that are about equal. Go back and look at our offensive line play on the teams where we had good offensive production. That should indicate for everyone the most relevant snd biggest issue.
The RB would be doing good if had a better oline

I suggest you use this site to look up past records versus good teams, the amount of times Hayden’s offense scored under 10 points and how poor the big 10 really was in the 80s….

I agree.....but

Hayden brought back Iowa to relevance. He was quick with a quote and fundamentally changed a bunch in the BT. It was the Big 2 and little 8 and he was able to make not only Iowa fans, but other Universities see that you could break through. It was not consistent all the time but he got the ball rolling. He cared about the state (ANF), he wore it on his face when they lost the big games (Rose Bowls) and created one of the best college FB staffs ever.
KF had a tougher act to follow BUT, by then, you KNEW it COULD be done. With Hayden it was despair and you wondered would we ever have a winning season. Two different philosophies for sure. It is interesting to thing about what if the timing and the roles were reversed. What if a KF type guy started in 79/80 and a HF guy took over after that. Frankly I think the progression worked pretty well over all, but we have really missed some of the best opportunities in the past 5-7 years. The good news is we HAD the opportunities.....the bad news is we whiffed. Usually big time.

Well, there are a bunch of teams ranked 25-130 that would love to have had the past 40+ years of football and we are dying to take the next step. Hard to imagine what a consistent .500 program would feel like (like crap actually) but hopefully the next HC can take us one notch up moving forward. They KNOW it can be done and the fanbase is there...actually everywhere and passionate.

Either way, both of these guys deserve a statue outside the stadium somewhere for what they have done with the program and the state.

That’s actually NOT all anyone is saying. If that was ALL anyone was saying we wouldn’t be having this convo and you honestly know that. People are so disingenuous anymore.

Hell this board would be awesome if that’s ALL you were saying. Shit you basically admit that’s not ALL your saying while making up some bullshit statement “making fun “ of people throwing the ball all around…

The thing is people actually believe the bullshit they spew….
You’re so full of shit. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Is there one person on here complaining about our defense? One? The answer is no. After 3 years of historical futility on offense we’d like to have something rather than Kirk standing up there acting smug and talking shit about other teams when our best win this year was Northwestern. Hopefully Deacon takes all the reps pre bowl game so we can go out and rack up 3-6 points.

I agree.....but

Hayden brought back Iowa to relevance. He was quick with a quote and fundamentally changed a bunch in the BT. It was the Big 2 and little 8 and he was able to make not only Iowa fans, but other Universities see that you could break through. It was not consistent all the time but he got the ball rolling. He cared about the state (ANF), he wore it on his face when they lost the big games (Rose Bowls) and created one of the best college FB staffs ever.
KF had a tougher act to follow BUT, by then, you KNEW it COULD be done. With Hayden it was despair and you wondered would we ever have a winning season. Two different philosophies for sure. It is interesting to thing about what if the timing and the roles were reversed. What if a KF type guy started in 79/80 and a HF guy took over after that. Frankly I think the progression worked pretty well over all, but we have really missed some of the best opportunities in the past 5-7 years. The good news is we HAD the opportunities.....the bad news is we whiffed. Usually big time.

Well, there are a bunch of teams ranked 25-130 that would love to have had the past 40+ years of football and we are dying to take the next step. Hard to imagine what a consistent .500 program would feel like (like crap actually) but hopefully the next HC can take us one notch up moving forward. They KNOW it can be done and the fanbase is there...actually everywhere and passionate.

Either way, both of these guys deserve a statue outside the stadium somewhere for what they have done with the program and the state.

THAT is a definitively true statement !

Reactions: Packer54
The RB would be doing good if had a better oline
I’m not a fan of our running backs. Vision isn’t great and very little ability to make quick cuts which leads to them running up the backs of their offensive linemen. I would not rate any of them in the top 30 of hawkeye running backs.

You’re so full of shit. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Is there one person on here complaining about our defense? One? The answer is no. After 3 years of historical futility on offense we’d like to have something rather than Kirk standing up there acting smug and talking shit about other teams when our best win this year was Northwestern. Hopefully Deacon takes all the reps pre bowl game so we can go out and rack up 3-6 points.

Huh….who said that. No one, I’d suggest you review what you’ve said. Many, dare I say MOST get tired of every thread denigrating into bullshit…

Interestingly enough, this very thread…hmmm 🤔

Funny how things turn….

I’m not a fan of our running backs. Vision isn’t great and very little ability to make quick cuts which leads to them running up the backs of their offensive linemen. I would not rate any of them in the top 30 of hawkeye running backs.

Well Kaleb Johnson is 35th in rushing yards now and has has several long TD runs, so not sure that will age well…

With that said, there’s bare minimum 20 ahead of them who fans like you complained we’re too slow to hit the Home run, so there’s that…

ok let’s be honest about our offense by position. QB, below average a D-. Offensive line, below average an F. Tight ends, after the injuries, a B. Wide receivers, a C-. Running backs, C-.
only reason running backs are not lower is we have three that are about equal.
I think the OL was an F for 2021 and 2022.

For 2023, I think we were a solid D, maybe even a D+.
I'd also give TE's a B+, considering that Ostrenga was the only receiving option for a good 4-week stretch.

Also ranking WR equal to RB is just silly. I'd give RB's a B-; would rank higher on basically any other team in FBS (that has at least a somewhat bad OL).

Well Kaleb Johnson is 35th in rushing yards now and has has several long TD runs, so not sure that will age well…

With that said, there’s bare minimum 20 ahead of them who fans like you complained we’re too slow to hit the Home run, so there’s that…
fans like me? what do you know about me? stats do not tell the story. number of attempts, ability to make tacklers miss, yards after contact, ability to cut back. have been watching hawkeye running backs for over 50 years and the three we have currently rank down in the list. the long TD runs for the most part were mis direction with defenders there. nice runs, lots of yardage but do not mean he is one of Iowa’s better backs.

I understand the injuries and admit they had an effect on our offense. But you can only use that excuse so long. It is called depth that needs to be developed. Winning 10 games this year is a credit to the players and coaches, but everyone has injuries. Iowa is not getting any Offensive players out of the portal, until we have a OC.
Doesn't look like we are going to have scholarships available to do much in the portal this year, so we don't need to hurry and hire an OC. With a healthy Cade and further development of the players we have coming back we should be much improved offensively next season. Go Hawks !

Fyi...read that you guys are kicking the tires on CJ Stokes who just put his name in the portal a couple days ago. He's an intriguing prospect. Wasn't the highest rated recruit but Michigan's RB coach loved him. He quickly grabbed the #3 spot, at RB as a true frosh, behind Corum and Edwards (who were having career years and couldn't be passed). But he really was showing some flashes and started picking up carries.

However, he had a pretty bad fumble and Michigan went back to a two man rotation. Towards the end of the season he was given another shot and he flashed again. The assumption was that if Corum left (for the NFL) it would be him and Edwards the following year (this year). But Corum did come back and Stokes battled multiple injuries all year and was essentially shut down.

He's not a true power back but not small (and will lower the shoulder) and has speed (and flashed he can make people miss...just asked your friends in Lincoln). He's not a sure thing but think he'll be good. Just don't be worried if he takes his time. He is staying with the team through the playoff and likely won't take visits until after...but with the way the portal window is set up he had to put his name in now.

I kind of keep that on the down low but I don't know why at this point. let us just say it was mid 1980's

I graduated from Fairfield in 88….do u remember Thomas Straight Tb and Mickey ? FB we had a hell of a football team and u beat us in about 5 inches of slop

I graduated from Fairfield in 88….do u remember Thomas Straight Tb and Mickey ? FB we had a hell of a football team and u beat us in about 5 inches of slop
of course i recall thomas straight. I think he had an older sister my age. fairfield had a skating rink in the 80's and we used to go there for some strange reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT