ADVERTISEMENT

So..who's leaving and who's staying

IF Cook stays at Iowa he will be first team All B!G next year. His defense went from terrible to poor, his shot went from terrible to poor. He needs get to mediocre on defense and dominating on the boards. He's not ready for the NBA and a transfer just puts him a year or two further away.

Garza is going to be great. The two together will be a board pounding scoring factory for the next two seasons.

Bohannon is the best shooter at Iowa in the last 40 years, and throwing in 90% from the line doesn't hurt. Second in assists. That sounds like a pretty goodpoint guard. ( There are lots of point guards that are big scorers -from Jerry West, His defense went from terrible to poorish. He's getting smarter with the ball and is getting inside more.

Need a reliable offensive player opposite Bohannon. Joe W or significant improvement out of Dailey or Connor McC provides that missing part, if Moss doesn't start playing smarter and harder. Ike blew a lot of big shots tonight-again. The 2019 Hawks are one more reliable shooter away from being like a 90 PPG team.

The light has to come on defensively but when you can score like Iowa your defense doesn't have to be great but just a little better than average. Unfortunately, the 2017-18 Hawks were a terrible defensive team that gave up huge runs because of mistakes.

Age and experience, and a top 100 and top 50 pair of guards can sure fix a lot of problems.
Good post.

IF Cook leaves it will take a lot of optimism away for me looking to next year. I swear this board doesn’t understand that players are actually capable of improving and players like Cook don’t come around very often. If he leaves it will be a major blow both to the product on the floor and just the general level of excitement.

IF Cook leaves it will take a lot of optimism away for me looking to next year. I swear this board doesn’t understand that players are actually capable of improving and players like Cook don’t come around very often. If he leaves it will be a major blow both to the product on the floor and just the general level of excitement.

Agreed

He is probably the most naturally athletic player we have had in some time here at Iowa. Now, he does have faults, not great at D and prone to turnovers but those are two areas he can improve in with some effort. It would really set our offense back a bit if he is gone.

If Cook is going to make it in the NBA, he will need to develop a better perimeter game, maybe he feels that is not being allowed to develop at Iowa.

Lots of players transfer every year, even some with NBA aspirations, it happens

Like half the time Cook touches the ball, he has an open mid range jumper, but usually passes it up to take it to the rim or back down the defender. Not sure how he would not be allowed to develop

I don't think anybody is telling Cook he can't develop his perimeter game. I mean, if anything, Fran and his staff must realize that Cook doesn't get that much attention 18+ feet away from the rim. One of the biggest issues he has is when he is doing some sort of 1x1 move, often times his passing is unorthodox, meaning you cannot anticipate what's going to happen or where he might be passing it. I think this why we often times have disappointing turnovers when he's doing 1x1 stuff. On the other hand, when he gets to the rim, it works quite well.

I am reversing my course a bit on Cook. This is going to be the worst post ever but I spoke with someone who is way more connected than most of us that said they were aware of the rumors but doesn't think it will happen for a few, logical reasons. Basically, still possible but not probable

He mentioned a few others that could be in the mix. One shocked me. Neither major contributers.

Again, I apologize for the vaugness.

I'm guessing the one that shocks is Nunge. If you think about it, he really should have taken a redshirt. He's stuck behind Baer and Cook, and with Weiskamp coming in he won't get nearly as many minutes at the 3 spot anymore. And his options to try to come out and play the 5 are limited because Garza's locking that spot down.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Agreed

He is probably the most naturally athletic player we have had in some time here at Iowa. Now, he does have faults, not great at D and prone to turnovers but those are two areas he can improve in with some effort. It would really set our offense back a bit if he is gone.

To put it in perspective, Cook needs 7 more points to reach 500 for the season and would be the first sophomore at Iowa to so since Kinsbury in 95-96.

I think the weirdest developments this year are the regression of Pemsl and Baer. Both are worse than they were last year. With Pemsl it could just be all the injuries have taken a toll on him.

Keep in mind Baer is an overachiever...he was a walk on. So, he may not have progressed but he's still delivering more than expected when he joined the program.

The success of 6th man, hustle-type guys like NB relies on a team having decent rhythm to begin with. I don't think he's as effective in a "primary player" role...especially on a struggling team...as when he comes in as the hustle guy.

Reactions: Row55
And that folks are how rumors get started
63378806.jpg

This rumor is classic "echo chamber".........I guess time will tell us for sure.

I marvel at people who are critical of Cook's defense. What is he supposed to do? Contest every shot and be on the bench with 2 fouls at the 15 minute mark of the first half? Have these people not seen what happens to the offense when Cook sits? The whole team is poor defensively, but Cook and Bohannon are 2 guys that have to stay on the court. If that means playing soft D after picking up their first foul, then so be it.

I am not going to name people because that would be violation of TOS, but a certain someone who is a Fran apologist and claims Connor and Weiskamp will resurrect Iowa hoops is also a major critic of Cook's defense. I am curious how this person rationalizes this thought process given Cook is the only player on the team that gives us an athletic mismatch advantage. Cook can't be guarded 1:1 by anybody in the big ten. I could care less if his help D is lacking at times because he is 1 of 2 critical pieces to Iowa having a chance at remaining competitive in games.

I'm with you. It would suck if he would leave, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I marvel at people who are critical of Cook's defense. What is he supposed to do? Contest every shot and be on the bench with 2 fouls at the 15 minute mark of the first half? Have these people not seen what happens to the offense when Cook sits? The whole team is poor defensively, but Cook and Bohannon are 2 guys that have to stay on the court. If that means playing soft D after picking up their first foul, then so be it.

I am not going to name people because that would be violation of TOS, but a certain someone who is a Fran apologist and claims Connor and Weiskamp will resurrect Iowa hoops is also a major critic of Cook's defense. I am curious how this person rationalizes this thought process given Cook is the only player on the team that gives us an athletic mismatch advantage. Cook can't be guarded 1:1 by anybody in the big ten. I could care less if his help D is lacking at times because he is 1 of 2 critical pieces to Iowa having a chance at remaining competitive in games.
I agree with this assessment of the need for Cook and JoBo to be on the floor from the offensive perspective. One of Cook's issues is that he regularly commits one stupid (for lack of a better term) where he pushes someone usually out of frustration about a turnover or not getting a call. This action draws the attention of the officials for future actions too. If he eliminates these stupid fouls, it will help him stay on the court more and play more defense. JoBo on defense is just a liability since he rarely can match the quickness of the opposing team. So yes, we need both of these guys on offense, but the issues on defense often negate the offensive side IMO

I cant believe the mods allow the bashing of college kids like some of you do. Saying cook and pemsl cant shoot jumpers is not helping them develop. Support these kids and help make them better with your posts for a deep tourney run.
I'm not big on ragging on the players either, but some of these issues could be seen by a blind man. Please explain how anyone saying that Pemsl needs to work on his overall game to be a more effective scorer is hindering his development? Did I miss the memo where we are supposed to sign up to drive him to the gym to work on his shot? I'm amazed by college players in general who can't shoot free throws after years of high school, AAU ball and years of college practice.

In order of most likely: BE AW MD CP
Better chance cook goes to Europe than Mizzou but who knows

I'm guessing the one that shocks is Nunge. If you think about it, he really should have taken a redshirt. He's stuck behind Baer and Cook, and with Weiskamp coming in he won't get nearly as many minutes at the 3 spot anymore. And his options to try to come out and play the 5 are limited because Garza's locking that spot down.

If everyone returns, I'd love to see Nunge take a redshirt year

I wish Iowa would take the Wisconsin model under Bo Ryan and use red shirt more often. Guys like Kriener and Dailey last year or Nunge this year would have benefited greatly. Tough thing with red shirt most guys don't want to and play right away but I'll give Ryan credit for as much as I didn't care for the guy he found the right players for his system and bought into the benefit long term and the results were overwhelming.

Pat Harty said he has heard from very reputable people close to the program Cook to Mizzou is basically a done deal.

I wish Iowa would take the Wisconsin model under Bo Ryan and use red shirt more often. Guys like Kriener and Dailey last year or Nunge this year would have benefited greatly. Tough thing with red shirt most guys don't want to and play right away but I'll give Ryan credit for as much as I didn't care for the guy he found the right players for his system and bought into the benefit long term and the results were overwhelming.
IIRC Fran said last year he'd suggested a redshirt to Dailey but left it up to him and he declined.

I know its a dumb statement, but why play him if you know he is not going to be here next year? We weren't winning with him so why let him take up time from someone like Nunge who will probably play the 4 spot?

Last edited:
I know its a dumb statement, but why play him if you know he is not going to be hear next year? We weren't winning with him so why let him take up time from someone like Nunge who will probably play the 4 spot?

giphy.gif

If Cook leaves, expect it to be even worse than the Eno de-commit from the football team. We'll be getting a lot of rumors and innuendo on what happened and who is at fault.

I am completely guessing here, but I have to think the very last thing Cook wants to do is sit out for a year. With continued work on his game, and he has progressed in several ways, the upside is obviously very high, although his height is a limiting factor in the NBA. He will develope playing under Fran better than traveling around the EU.

If Cook leaves, expect it to be even worse than the Eno de-commit from the football team. We'll be getting a lot of rumors and innuendo on what happened and who is at fault.

I think we've seen "what happened" and "who's at fault" is a very...short list.

Closer to home. Don't make me puke. He's in Iowa, not Iraq or even Indiana (almost as bad) for Christ's sake. If that was the reason for transferring I'd block Missouri just for being such a pussy. But he's not transferring, that is just nuts. He's a sophomore star on a team that returns its top ten players with a lot to prove.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
As far as blocking this or that school, do you really want a player on your roster if he doesn't want to be here? Let him go where he wants.

Reactions: David1979
I say if he wants to be non committal to iowa then take his scholly right now and go in search of the best pg available. And then block him from going to mizzu. Screw it, if he doesn't want to be a hawk, see ya

As far as blocking this or that school, do you really want a player on your roster if he doesn't want to be here? Let him go where he wants.
if he's not gonna honor his commitment, he can go where we tell him he can or he can sit out a year(i think that is how it works?)

Reactions: Kurt Warner
That would be kind of a prick thing to do. If TC does want to be closer to home...especially when it's to a program that's not a rival in any sense.
give me a break, this isn't his first year!
he sure wasn't home sick until adversity struck!
get real :)

if he's not gonna honor his commitment, he can go where we tell him he can or he can sit out a year(i think that is how it works?)
He has to sit out a year no matter what Iowa does, unless he graduates in May. It would make no sense to go to Mizzou, and sit out a year, but its his decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT