ADVERTISEMENT

spring game

Honestly the troughs make more sense and I'd like to petition for their return.
I’d sign that petition! Troughs are the way to go - they work well at Wrigley. As long as people stay in their lanes and don’t initiate a sword fight though! 😎

Reactions: Birky
Sure Jan GIF

Right…..

Because it's not January like it was when Cade and Hill arived. It's almost May and there is only 4 months before the season starts with the calendar counting down.

I'm not saying they won't be looking for a portal QB, because the QB room is bad, but IMO people expecting a QB to walk in and truly compete with Cade for this season's starting job as some have suggested are clueless. Even if someone had the ability, Kirk wouldn't trust them over the other 3 that are already here. It doesn't work that way at Iowa.
Wait a minute. It worked that way for Hill, who is not only horrible but who was headed for that football factory Fordham before that genius Budmayar snagged him. Hill almost immediately moved ahead of a guy who actually led Iowa to a bowl game win, a guy who never threw an INT and who never fumbled the ball. So there's that . . . LOL

Or 20 plus years of mediocre to godawful offense but cm apparently wants us to ignore our eyes and statistics.

Hmmm…. Conversations go well when you just make up what was actually said.

You just as well as said… Hire somebody to do a job and then let him do it…

If you decide, they’re doing the job, Poorly, fire them and get someone else…

It’s at least closer to my true feelings

Yeah and really it needs to just be a 1 year NIL guy. That way it does not go against scholarships and it gives Tim a year to work with and develop our younger guys. He said they are talented, just needs some time to work with them. Cade is done after this year correct? Hill is a JR so we just need to get through this year and then look to the future. They can turn the QB room around rather fast I think. Edit, now that I think about it, it does not have to be just a 1 year guy, they can bring a guy in on NIL if needed and then put him on scholarship next year.
So bring in a one year guy to back up Cade? No one is coming for that backup role. Iowa will only get a QB from the portal that's an underclassman who will compete with Marco next year for starter. And this only happens if the coaches tell Deacon to move on. Chances of this are slim & none.

No Way GIF by Hobbs & Shaw Smack Talk

Wait a minute. It worked that way for Hill, who is not only horrible but who was headed for that football factory Fordham before that genius Budmayar snagged him. Hill almost immediately moved ahead of a guy who actually led Iowa to a bowl game win, a guy who never threw an INT and who never fumbled the ball. So there's that . . . LOL
Hill arrived in January and only started after Cade went down.

So bring in a one year guy to back up Cade? No one is coming for that backup role. Iowa will only get a QB from the portal that's an underclassman who will compete with Marco next year for starter. And this only happens if the coaches tell Deacon to move on. Chances of this are slim & none.

You don't think Lester can tell what other coaches are running very similar systems to his own? You don't think a non power 5 (actually power 2 now) team might be running a similar system (like he was in Western Mich). You do not think one of those teams might have a experienced QB that wants to see if he can cut it or make a name for himself at a higher level? I am not saying to back up anyone, I am saying to compete for the starting gig.

Last edited:
You don't think Lester can tell what other coaches are running very similar systems to his own? You don't think a non power 5 team might be running a similar system (like he was in Western Mich). You do not think one of those teams might have a experienced QB that wants to see if he can cut it or make a name for himself in the P5?
Maybe, but name one who has one year of eligibility left that wants to compete against Cade for playing time? Especially when it's their last year to get meaningful snaps and showcase their skills. It would need to be an underclassman.

The chances of Cade playing a full season are close to zero. If I were a successful nonpower conference or nonbowl Division 1 5th year senior I’d jump at the chance to back up Cade.

Hmmm…. Conversations go well when you just make up what was actually said.

You just as well as said… Hire somebody to do a job and then let him do it…

If you decide, they’re doing the job, Poorly, fire them and get someone else…

It’s at least closer to my true feelings
Confuse Chloe Moretz GIF

Oh. OK got it. Why would anyone listen to a fan base that is made up mostly of people who didn't even start on their high school football team, or the last time they played organized football was either in middle school or NEVER. Yup. Those are the people I would listen to. I mean, the depth of knowledge is just, well, non-existent. Heck. The Indiana Coach when asked about the game you mentioned stated first, out of everything he could have mentioned was that they got out of it without any injuries. But hey. We all know that some fans would rather be sexy.
STFU

Seriously.

The chances of Cade playing a full season are close to zero. If I were a successful nonpower conference or nonbowl Division 1 5th year senior I’d jump at the chance to back up Cade.
I get your point, but would you trust Ferentz after he played Deacon every game last year? IDK... Hopefully that doesn't happen again with a new deputy sheriff in town. But to bank your last year on that scenario... oooof.

Exactly. I can't name anyone, because I am not Tim, but he knows what he is looking for and with it basically being a power 2 with the Big 10 and the SEC, I would think there are tons of guys who would jump at the chance. Especially knowing that they have the opportunity to come in and compete for the starting gig. (granted they would have to be pretty good to beat everyone out, but would they really???? So far what we know we are lacking is accuracy and the ability to calm down, slow things down or get through progressions so that would be a good place to start when looking for someone. Plus like I said, one that comes from a similar system would be nice)

At least a half dozen times including the last 2 Iowa games.
Then to make a comment about the restroom situation in kinnick being the worst is simply an opportunity to bitch about something because no stadium is worse than northwestern football.

Then to make a comment about the restroom situation in kinnick being the worst is simply an opportunity to bitch about something because no stadium is worse than northwestern football.
I've attended a ton of football games the past 4 years with my son and daughter attending Iowa and Purdue. Kinnick restrooms and concessions under the west stands are woefully inadequate leading to a bad fan experience The North End Zone is an example of everything that Kinnick could and should be. Say what you want about it, but we never encounter lines like Kinnick at Northwestern or Purdue for that matter. We park within 100 yards of the entrances. It's just a better more convenient experience overall. Wrigley was great as well. The atmosphere outside of Kinnick is phenomenal. It could be so much better inside with better facilities and concessions.

Reactions: Birky
I do not care what they do, just win baby. I have come to terms with the fact I am a hillbilly and a piece of manly advice is, the problem with princess's is they never out grow it, and you have to constantly feed it. That is why Proctor leaving is no big deal to me. So you can keep your "sexy", I would rather have a winner over sexy any day of the week. Do what you do and do it well, let the rest fall where it will.
Agreed, also an actual game (albeit inter-squad) would open players up to more potential for injuries. Not necessary, just to appease some of the fanbase. Heck, MN is not even doing any type of Spring game/practice this year.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
I've attended a ton of football games the past 4 years with my son and daughter attending Iowa and Purdue. Kinnick restrooms and concessions under the west stands are woefully inadequate leading to a bad fan experience The North End Zone is an example of everything that Kinnick could and should be. Say what you want about it, but we never encounter lines like Kinnick at Northwestern or Purdue for that matter. We park within 100 yards of the entrances. It's just a better more convenient experience overall. Wrigley was great as well. The atmosphere outside of Kinnick is phenomenal. It could be so much better inside with better facilities and concessions.
However, do Purdue and N’Western have as much attendance & fan interest as Iowa does?

Full practice footage if anyone needs it

The O-Line looks terrible. Lester has his work cut out for him, because they're about as strong as a wet tissue.

However, do Purdue and N’Western have as much attendance & fan interest as Iowa does?
The stadiums are certainly smaller, particularly Northwestern. The games I attended at all of the venues have been pretty full if not sold out, particularly at Purdue. Ross Ade seats over 60k and the game is well attended. Lots of Iowa fans at the Northwestern games help to fill it up. I think the sold out Wrigley game last year was 85% Iowa fans and the 2021 game in Evanston had a very large contingent of Iowa fans as well.

It's really less about the absolute number of fans than it is about the relative level and design of the facilities and concessions. Like I said previously, the North End Zone is fantastic. They need to bring the rest of the stadium closer in line with that.

Kind of like how every decision Kirk makes is right. Petras. Hill. Always right.
How many times does KF have to be proven correct on Petras? I can't believe that one is even a debate anymore.

There is plenty of reason to believe KF got it right on Hill last year. One would be that Lester has come in and witnessed that at this point ML is behind in his ability to process through progressions. And I don't want to hear that KF is forcing that evaluation out of Lester.

I truly sometimes find it hard to believe you were a coach, with some of your takes.

How about KF choosing to go with Cade this season instead of Petras? I'm sure Petras would have stuck around for this season had he thought he had a chance to start. Does KF get any credit for this one? Seems like he's gotten it right again, assuming Cade will be healthy

How many times does KF have to be proven correct on Petras? I can't believe that one is even a debate anymore.

There is plenty of reason to believe KF got it right on Hill last year. One would be that Lester has come in and witnessed that at this point ML is behind in his ability to process through progressions. And I don't want to hear that KF is forcing that evaluation out of Lester.

I truly sometimes find it hard to believe you were a coach, with some of your takes.

How about KF choosing to go with Cade this season instead of Petras? I'm sure Petras would have stuck around for this season had he thought he had a chance to start. Does KF get any credit for this one? Seems like he's gotten it right again, assuming Cade will be healthy
Petras had no eligibility left at Iowa.

Reactions: eyesofhawk

Golden Girls Lol GIF by HULU

At any other school with this kind of QB play from the starter the backups would have gotten more minutes. Even 3rd string. For Kirk you are only replaced when you are severely injured.

I know to Iowa fans and maybe within the program some will look back at the last three years as examples of Kirk’s divinity with getting to 10 wins, but to the rest of the country the program is a running joke.

Let’s see if Lester can help change that

Reactions: Tom Paris
Ok
At any other school with this kind of QB play from the starter the backups would have gotten more minutes. Even 3rd string. For Kirk you are only replaced when you are severely injured.

I know to Iowa fans and maybe within the program some will look back at the last three years as examples of Kirk’s divinity with getting to 10 wins, but to the rest of the country the program is a running joke.

Let’s see if Lester can help change that
BS. If the "program" is a running joke to the 90% of programs that have not won 10 games, then the jokes on them.
You would prefer to be ISU, PU, I'll, NW,Neb,USC, Wis,MSU,IU,RU,MD,Minny,ECT last season than get those amusing 10 wins simply because they score more?
Not me. I like winning FB games most of all.

Barely beating the worst competition to get to 10 wins is a bit of an illusion. No one takes the Iowa program seriously. I’m out in SoCal and if i wear any Iowa gear any comments I’ll get is how do you waste such a good defense year after year ? There’s no answer. Some people who went to schools like Purdue for example have said they would like 10’win seasons but still say it’s horrible to watch.

I’m happy the players got 10 wins and some were rivalry games. But those rivals have been shit the last few years too.

92-0 is the punchline for 2023 season

Barely beating the worst competition to get to 10 wins is a bit of an illusion. No one takes the Iowa program seriously. I’m out in SoCal and if i wear any Iowa gear any comments I’ll get is how do you waste such a good defense year after year ? There’s no answer. Some people who went to schools like Purdue for example have said they would like 10’win seasons but still say it’s horrible to watch.

I’m happy the players got 10 wins and some were rivalry games. But those rivals have been shit the last few years too.

92-0 is the punchline for 2023 season
Do you respond to USC fans
" how do you waste a Heisman trophy/ #1 pick in draft with barely over .500 records?"
You should.
Does anyone take USC and UCLA seriously with mediocre records?

Realistically, there are about 5 or 6 programs in the country that are "taken seriously" each season.

Everyone else have flaws.

Ok
BS. If the "program" is a running joke to the 90% of programs that have not won 10 games, then the jokes on them.
You would prefer to be ISU, PU, I'll, NW,Neb,USC, Wis,MSU,IU,RU,MD,Minny,ECT last season than get those amusing 10 wins simply because they score more?
If a more exciting product meant we had to win fewer games, I’d vote for it.

Watching Iowa play football has hurt my eyes and brain for several years now.

Ok
The OFFENSE is a national joke. There's no way to defend it.

Do you respond to USC fans
" how do you waste a Heisman trophy/ #1 pick in draft with barely over .500 records?"
You should.
Does anyone take USC and UCLA seriously with mediocre records?

Realistically, there are about 5 or 6 programs in the country that are "taken seriously" each season.

Everyone else have flaws.
Yes, it really makes sense for Iowa fans to shit talk USC fans. "How many national titles do you have? How many Heisman trophies?" Conversation. Over.

No one out here really cares. USC has a good program and the stars come out…..they suck and there’s a billion other things to do with your time.

But any of the schools out here would have fired their OC for having even one typical game of Iowa offense

The big10 offenses really suck outside of OSU and UM.

Look what TN did to Iowa with 1/3 of their roster and a true freshman.

Let’s stop pretending that the Iowa way of hard nosed football is the only possible path. It barely works against BAD teams. It gets embarrassed against good ones.

Again, maybe Lester can change that and we can score >0 points against a ranked opponent in 2024

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Ok
I was listening to KXNO on the way home from church (don't know which show it was), and the guys were talking about how they are always making fun of Iowa. This is a national show mind you, not a local one.

They also mentioned that despite being made fun of, Iowa does manage to put some players in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT