ADVERTISEMENT

Starting line up for Iowa against cal baptist

A governing Board can act on more than one issue at a time. My guess is they are taking their time and getting facts in order. Everyone is afraid of a law suit and a couple of weeks to get it right is not a big deal. Better to do that than have to change course because something was missed.

I think you’re mistaken . If you go the article click on utube link it takes you to the cbu channel

You can find several cbu matches on utube from last year . For kicks I just watched the Franek match ie they wrestled ndsu.

No idea if it’s free or if you have to at a minimum subscribe to their channel.
Looks like you are correct. That link wasn't available yesterday.
ADCreHeG--kuwVCk2UN2l1oCJa6GnfdcpIOEtIe5gSgDI586DOElCwsIichdISSUzE5jBOlW1s6IY3wNWvJCACbVgIpQL_fRjLvJilpCYIMsnjW2WZqShPsuDHX3slzTh2kEL5e5KjT96TkXB9MVf6Ji6BmljJEeHyfIpfLudc74Ext34htEqNG-88pZS--y7GAsqqNQ3aJYBGRi097MvUOOU5dY558ghgmfdcPXm--Q8RWtRbkVXGDOyxKacrnX1pze-odo1N2ucpee-Qiq7k7f7WnpOuwvoVX53TRj6luWaOsg1LLk-rP-ZH_ndhERNac5oNU1tqFTDu17wgLbbzMg2VW3uwoU21uzao5pw1XtitxvBPtv1P9EmBvnVaXe0LZeYVbAx4toxeGHZTJXsTlwwCrt6YhEjSe72l7NVjvC3Su0p6dPcyxdH7dUkWoMal0WBz6zCWmx_Tue187-wZu3fMZnFf20-Dkt3r95t61FkM9ZAN6wZiMvQkHzdzC_aLhoFBoNhI_sBWfr-CfFCSdtDKyE8NFyJqwdRPLbPmEk4ddEW0kC_7F7OC9rOVVRJJGsKop0vSpHp1goIZMlIxM9gZCsEDOjv59atUByKe7WKy930fw9LenfX9penpZ4X06k2Kw2E0oFN6150D_6WSxu8Tarzey_6S9fp12bzobIUk_IbLfz2vq9FY-xKDPbNQqkvUu1U4FXUxm9THnIIl8lYgIuKHa5Marx3ziUfPuD-r_vjfz-ens0nkefKH_XQmz1hOxOt3T8nbSCXnqpsO56PJu9dmNwyiwTunbKWTZjG99gGTZk-_AwUlFGyXrrDUIN83GxcgcA8smf9UFHWpPsSP63RT2o-J3itbR8qEGiPtVS07Utlblx2AwnecH93n8AbhvWhSUkdBu1X_f-prCl3Q=w359-h757-s-no

I get that. But if Caliendo is a 165 pounder right now, he will be when we have a full lineup. I was hoping he was coming in to go 174.
I am with you, but if Nelson can't go, and I would have all the reason to believe the NCAA is addressing that and will make the right decision on this, then we would have to look at Gabe I would think. Or move the loser of the Caliendo / Kennedy match up. Swafford is not going to be competitive there.

we need NCAA points. Brands and Assad finish higher at 174, 184 (Well, Brands).

And Kennedy is a damn 157. He just doesn't want to cut weight.
Lets just say you are correct and Kennedy can make 57 but does not want to cut weight, how does that help us this season.

Our best lineup for nationals is
157- Franek
165- whoever is best and healthy in March between Caliendo and PK.
174- Brands
184- Assad
197- AJ which I believe is going to happen, maybe.

Lets just say you are correct and Kennedy can make 57 but does not want to cut weight, how does that help us this season.

Our best lineup for nationals is
157- Franek
165- whoever is best and healthy in March between Caliendo and PK.
174- Brands
184- Assad
197- AJ which I believe is going to happen, maybe.
Just saying that bumping ANYONE to get PK in the lineup is foolish and shortsighted. Good for duals? Sure.

NCAAs? no way.

Interesting that is your feeling. Why do you have that belief? Not sold on PK as a title threat now or down the road?

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a reason Kueter not expected to get reps if Cass is out?

A governing Board can act on more than one issue at a time. My guess is they are taking their time and getting facts in order. Everyone is afraid of a law suit and a couple of weeks to get it right is not a big deal. Better to do that than have to change course because something was missed.
This is bullshit. The board had sufficient time to take action on this. It should have been handled faster. It is malfeasance of their responsibility that they have delayed taking final action. There are individuals who have lost on opportunities to compete simply because the board did not make this a priority.

This is bullshit. The board had sufficient time to take action on this. It should have been handled faster. It is malfeasance of their responsibility that they have delayed taking final action. There are individuals who have lost on opportunities to compete simply because the board did not make this a priority.
Why is this bullshit? You may not like it, but that does not make one thing I said bullshit. And remember, if the athletes did not break a rule that is pretty clearly stated - don't gamble on such sites - then there wouldn't be this problem, now would there?

I'm not defending or criticising the NCAA, I'm simply giving a potential reason(s).

Why is this bullshit? You may not like it, but that does not make one thing I said bullshit. And remember, if the athletes did not break a rule that is pretty clearly stated - don't gamble on such sites - then there wouldn't be this problem, now would there?

I'm not defending or criticising the NCAA, I'm simply giving a potential reason(s).
You are defending the time it took to make this decision. They have had the facts long enough that this should have been settled.

He's been in the room 3 years. Tom literally over-recruited him. Even Tom doesn't see him as a title threat.
He's been in the room 3 years. Tom literally over-recruited him. Even Tom doesn't see him as a title threat.
Seems to me Kennedy may be someone who peaked early (HS) when he was able to over power and simply overwhelm his opponents. Now that those aspects are evened out and skill/technique becomes paramount, the table has turned.

You are defending the time it took to make this decision. They have had the facts long enough that this should have been settled.
Giving a potential reason is not defending. It's giving a potential reason. You see it that way because you want the decision made yesterday.

Giving a potential reason is not defending. It's giving a potential reason. You see it that way because you want the decision made yesterday.
The way you described it was a defense of their behavior. Quit excusing the length of time this has taken. The reason is NOT valid and shouldn't be accepted as okay. All that said we have zero ability to influence the process so this is all pissing in the wind.

The way you described it was a defense of their behavior. Quit excusing the length of time this has taken. The reason is NOT valid and shouldn't be accepted as okay. All that said we have zero ability to influence the process so this is all pissing in the wind.
I don't like the fact the NCAA is dragging their feet on this. Noah Shannon should have been playing in games weeks ago and our wrestlers should know they are clear and not have the thought of not competing hanging over them. But, I don't think anyone should publicly "poke the bear" too much because I get worried the NCAA might say F you, were sticking to our original ruling and your competition days are done.
So for the most part I impatiently wait, biting my tongue. hoping for the right decision to be made.

Seems to me Kennedy may be someone who peaked early (HS) when he was able to over power and simply overwhelm his opponents. Now that those aspects are evened out and skill/technique becomes paramount, the table has turned.
PK is a tough kid and a very good wrestler. He lost last year to Carr, Hamiti(x2), Amine & Ramirez. He beat Amine, Facundo, Wilson, Braunagel, Sheets, etc.. It just so happened that at 165 there were 6 guys that were pretty likely AA's based on their past performances (KOT, Carr, Monday, Amine, Griffith, Hamiti) and then there were about 7 guys that were left to fill the final two spots (Caliendo, Olejnik, PK, Ramirez, Kharchala, Facundo, Olguin) that were all fairly evenly matched. 5 of those guys were not going to place, it just didn't work out for PK.

PK is a tough kid and a very good wrestler. He lost last year to Carr, Hamiti(x2), Amine & Ramirez. He beat Amine, Facundo, Wilson, Braunagel, Sheets, etc.. It just so happened that at 165 there were 6 guys that were pretty likely AA's based on their past performances (KOT, Carr, Monday, Amine, Griffith, Hamiti) and then there were about 7 guys that were left to fill the final two spots (Caliendo, Olejnik, PK, Ramirez, Kharchala, Facundo, Olguin) that were all fairly evenly matched. 5 of those guys were not going to place, it just didn't work out for PK.
To add to your pro PK post. 165 had 3 NCAA champs. KOT, Griffith, and Carr. The sky is not falling on PK. If you watched his matches he was competitive, high motor, had an offense. I dreaded after PK because the next three were usually pretty boring matches. Does it suck yes.

No one knew what was happening with the gambling situation so as a coach you can't sit idly by. It's a lose/lose for Tom. What if PK was out for the season and Caliendo didnt come? Who would wrestle Riggins? Just be thankful whoever Iowa trots out is going to be a good one.

To add to your pro PK post. 165 had 3 NCAA champs. KOT, Griffith, and Carr. The sky is not falling on PK. If you watched his matches he was competitive, high motor, had an offense. I dreaded after PK because the next three were usually pretty boring matches. Does it suck yes.

No one knew what was happening with the gambling situation so as a coach you can't sit idly by. It's a lose/lose for Tom. What if PK was out for the season and Caliendo didnt come? Who would wrestle Riggins? Just be thankful whoever Iowa trots out is going to be a good one.
I’m not adding to or subtracting from PK or Caliendo but is it also possible no Caliendo no Franek.

I think it was Caliendo that said they were a package , not sure I heard those exact words from Franek.

I’m warming up to the idea of:

65-Caliendo
74-PK
84-Brands
97-Assad

Think this really will be the best lineup
Interesting. Is Assad anywhere close to 97? If he’s undersized like Brands was at 84, I don’t see the upside to this option given that Brands and PK would also be undersized. Realistically with this lineup in March I see Caliendo competing for AA and the other three being undersized and fighting for R12. Did they all pack on weight? Interesting but I see no advantage.

Ok, you have convinced me. I’m back to
65-PK/Caliendo
74-Brands
84-Assad
97-Glazier/Franklin

I still think Brands would do well at 184. He has two wins over the preseason #4 Plott last year.

Ferrari at 197 end of year would be nice. I know he’s thinking mma, but his brand is down. He needs to rebuild it to make decent $ in mma. He can do that at Iowa and get NIL $ while doing it.

Ok, you have convinced me. I’m back to
65-PK/Caliendo
74-Brands
84-Assad
97-Glazier/Franklin

I still think Brands would do well at 184. He has two wins over the preseason #4 Plott last year.

Ferrari at 197 end of year would be nice. I know he’s thinking mma, but his brand is down. He needs to rebuild it to make decent $ in mma. He can do that at Iowa and get NIL $ while doing it.

He comin.

I don't like the fact the NCAA is dragging their feet on this. Noah Shannon should have been playing in games weeks ago and our wrestlers should know they are clear and not have the thought of not competing hanging over them. But, I don't think anyone should publicly "poke the bear" too much because I get worried the NCAA might say F you, were sticking to our original ruling and your competition days are done.
So for the most part I impatiently wait, biting my tongue. hoping for the right decision to be made.

Widespread outcry against the initial rulings is what has led to them reconsidering the punishments.

Widespread outcry against the initial rulings is what has led to them reconsidering the punishments.
To an extent yes and the NCAA realizing this could end up being an issue in more states than just Iowa.
I still don't think it's a good idea to publicly "bad mouth" them too much on not making their final decision yet.
Tom's comments are smart when he gives them credit for wanting to do the right thing for the student athletes.
The whole deal stinks and I don't like it and hopefully it all turns out for the best.

Bad take.
Why - How about you give me your pearls of wisdom why someone who was a completely dominating athlete at the high school level has not yet reached the podium after three years in the Iowa wrestling room?

I'd love to see him take the next step but there are reasons why some do and some don't.

184 is a lot weaker than the last couple years so i think nelson would place for sure. plott is ranked 4th and nelson beat him twice last year. then you have munoz and feldkamp in that range as well.

174 is very top heavy and nelson will have to have a great tournament to be top 6 again. starocci, foca, mekhi, griffith, ruth, kharchla… it’s a loaded weight class.

then you also have the question of who you would rather have in the lineup, abe or kennedy? I would rather have kennedy all day so even if abe is too small for 197 he probably isn’t scoring many points at either weight. then there is ferrari…

i was against nelson moving up from 174 too because it’s his best weight but someone pointed out to me the composition of the weight classes and it is definitely worth having the conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT