ADVERTISEMENT

Starting line up for Iowa against cal baptist

PK is a tough kid and a very good wrestler. He lost last year to Carr, Hamiti(x2), Amine & Ramirez. He beat Amine, Facundo, Wilson, Braunagel, Sheets, etc.. It just so happened that at 165 there were 6 guys that were pretty likely AA's based on their past performances (KOT, Carr, Monday, Amine, Griffith, Hamiti) and then there were about 7 guys that were left to fill the final two spots (Caliendo, Olejnik, PK, Ramirez, Kharchala, Facundo, Olguin) that were all fairly evenly matched. 5 of those guys were not going to place, it just didn't work out for PK.
I never once stated that he wasn't a tough kid and a very good wrestler. But he was a "great" wrestler in high school. Why didn't it continue? I'm not sure why questioning why someone's dominance did not continue is such an issue? This may be no different than 5 star football recruits who get that ranking because they were physically more dominant than anyone else at a younger age but when they get to college, physicality catches up and is evened out. That is all I am saying. But I'm sure it is the coaches fault.

Reactions: Chuck C and el dub
184 is a lot weaker than the last couple years so i think nelson would place for sure. plott is ranked 4th and nelson beat him twice last year. then you have munoz and feldkamp in that range as well.

174 is very top heavy and nelson will have to have a great tournament to be top 6 again. starocci, foca, mekhi, griffith, ruth, kharchla… it’s a loaded weight class.

then you also have the question of who you would rather have in the lineup, abe or kennedy? I would rather have kennedy all day so even if abe is too small for 197 he probably isn’t scoring many points at either weight. then there is ferrari…

i was against nelson moving up from 174 too because it’s his best weight but someone pointed out to me the composition of the weight classes and it is definitely worth having the conversation.
Exactly I have been saying this for awhile now . Nelson in top 4 at 184 and probably 5-8 at 174. 184 isn't great this year

Exactly I have been saying this for awhile now . Nelson in top 4 at 184 and probably 5-8 at 174. 184 isn't great this year

i was guilty of it too but i think we all get caught up in the fact 174 is nelson’s best weight. sometimes that just doesn’t matter..

Haven't a clue what the walking around weight is of PK? Many have said he can't make 57? He does not appear to be a huge 165? He does seem thick throughout his body but not overly tall. My question would be has he ever even considered it or tried? Also has he ever certified at 57?

Him at 57 with Cal at 65 would be something especially if you add AJ at 97 and Gable at HVY who is reportedly on the outs with the WWE or F, g whatever it is now! Let big Cass shirt and work out with Gable for next year. Knock F*** st for a loop at NCAAs !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: NitFan53
Haven't a clue what the walking around weight is of PK? Many have said he can't make 57? He does not appear to be a huge 165? He does seem thick throughout his body but not overly tall. My question would be has he ever even considered it or tried? Also has he ever certified at 57?

Him at 57 with Cal at 65 would be something especially if you add AJ at 97 and Gable at HVY who is reportedly on the outs with the WWE or F, g whatever it is now! Let big Cass shirt and work out with Gable for next year. Knock F*** st for a loop at NCAAs !!!!
He's not a 157 and didn't cert there. Caliendo is smaller and made weight for 165 at certs

I never once stated that he wasn't a tough kid and a very good wrestler. But he was a "great" wrestler in high school. Why didn't it continue? I'm not sure why questioning why someone's dominance did not continue is such an issue? This may be no different than 5 star football recruits who get that ranking because they were physically more dominant than anyone else at a younger age but when they get to college, physicality catches up and is evened out. That is all I am saying. But I'm sure it is the coaches fault.
Sometimes, guys never make the jump from HS to D1. Great, dominating HS wrestlers from great wrestling states. It happens pretty frequently. I don't think PK is one of those. He got a less-than-desirable draw in, arguably the toughest weight class (not too many weights with 3 returning NCs), exacerbated by a high seed losing early, and fell just short. I agree with the earlier poster that said if he had Caliendo's draw he would have been the AA.

I also don't like the idea of bumping him and Brands up a weight. They are both fairly short at their current weights and would likely be underpowered unless they spent the off-season adding muscle. Brands is healthier than he was the last time at 184, and the class is weaker, but I'd like to see him have a shot at 174 when he's healthy all year (knock on wood). I think Caliendo has the frame to pack on muscle and move up more than PK or Brands.

I say let the opens and coaches sort it out and let's (hopefully) enjoy the ride. It is nice to have some depth at a few weights again, IF the NCAA does the right thing. If they don't, this discussion is invalid.

Sometimes, guys never make the jump from HS to D1. Great, dominating HS wrestlers from great wrestling states. It happens pretty frequently. I don't think PK is one of those. He got a less-than-desirable draw in, arguably the toughest weight class (not too many weights with 3 returning NCs), exacerbated by a high seed losing early, and fell just short. I agree with the earlier poster that said if he had Caliendo's draw he would have been the AA.

I also don't like the idea of bumping him and Brands up a weight. They are both fairly short at their current weights and would likely be underpowered unless they spent the off-season adding muscle. Brands is healthier than he was the last time at 184, and the class is weaker, but I'd like to see him have a shot at 174 when he's healthy all year (knock on wood). I think Caliendo has the frame to pack on muscle and move up more than PK or Brands.

I say let the opens and coaches sort it out and let's (hopefully) enjoy the ride. It is nice to have some depth at a few weights again, IF the NCAA does the right thing. If they don't, this discussion is invalid.
I am not so sure about Caliendo packing on more muscle and moving up. He is not overly tall or lengthy and he's already pretty jacked.

What do you think warrants this length of time to "get it right"? What's the difficult decision that needs to be deliberated?
First of all - "what's the difficult decision" - no matter what is decided it will likely be appealed and/or met with a law suit. Since they are changing course for a long standing rule, of course there has to be time taken to address the various issues.

Secondly, this is likely being done in Committee which will ultimately be taken to the full Board. You know who makes up these Committees and the full Board? College Presidents and AD's do. Committee meetings and Board meetings are scheduled. My guess is there are very strict rules for the operation of these Committees and Board meetings. I have no idea if they have to follow Robert's Rules of Order but if they do, then just scheduling a meeting and voting on an issue is not all that simple. These people have other jobs to do too.

You do understand that this decision will not only affect the current athletes from Iowa, but each of them from D1 through D-3? Thousands. That's a pretty big number.

But I thought you liked Big Government and all of its rules and regulations?

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Seems to me Kennedy may be someone who peaked early (HS) when he was able to over power and simply overwhelm his opponents. Now that those aspects are evened out and skill/technique becomes paramount, the table has turned.
PK was a physically mature/strong kid right out of the gate in highschool. He also wrestled up in weight most of the time which gave him a decent quickness and agility advantage. I think part of his adaptation to college is people are just as strong and he not only does not have a quickness advantage, there are others who have an advantage over him.

Where we disagree is on his current level of performance. Is he behind the likes of KOT & Carr? Yes. He has been beaten by Hamiti twice but wrestled him pretty tough. Outside of those 3 guys, he could beat anyone in the country; as is evident by splitting with Amine. I don't think that he is just some bully overpowering opponents and has a strength reliant style that is not translating from HS to college effectively.

First of all - "what's the difficult decision" - no matter what is decided it will likely be appealed and/or met with a law suit. Since they are changing course for a long standing rule, of course there has to be time taken to address the various issues.

Secondly, this is likely being done in Committee which will ultimately be taken to the full Board. You know who makes up these Committees and the full Board? College Presidents and AD's do. Committee meetings and Board meetings are scheduled. My guess is there are very strict rules for the operation of these Committees and Board meetings. I have no idea if they have to follow Robert's Rules of Order but if they do, then just scheduling a meeting and voting on an issue is not all that simple. These people have other jobs to do too.

You do understand that this decision will not only affect the current athletes from Iowa, but each of them from D1 through D-3? Thousands. That's a pretty big number.

But I thought you liked Big Government and all of its rules and regulations

This. It’s funny that people think a bunch of people who are twiddling their thumbs in Indianapolis are the ones who set NCAA rules.

Also, wouldnt a sucked down PK have trouble beating Franek?

Yes I have also been confused by the commends. Kennedy isn’t winning 157 so there’s zero point in him cutting there.

Reactions: sdvike and el dub
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

When have I said that?

In your mind me condemning your cultleader for trying to overthrow democracy = I'm pro big government. 🙄

Reactions: hollyboy and el dub

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

When have I said that?

In your mind me condemning your cultleader for trying to overthrow democracy = I'm pro big government. 🙄
Michael Scott No GIF

Good thing you aren't defending them. Yes- taking their time and not making this a priority is a bad thing.
Oh for f sake - explaining why and defending is not the same thing. Take a second and learn how public bodies work and maybe you'd understand.

Ok, you have convinced me. I’m back to
65-PK/Caliendo
74-Brands
84-Assad
97-Glazier/Franklin

I still think Brands would do well at 184. He has two wins over the preseason #4 Plott last year.

Ferrari at 197 end of year would be nice. I know he’s thinking mma, but his brand is down. He needs to rebuild it to make decent $ in mma. He can do that at Iowa and get NIL $ while doing it.
This lineup with AJ at 197 later this year would be light years better than I thought Iowa would be at the upper 5 weights a month ago. That makes me very happy.

Oh for f sake - explaining why and defending is not the same thing. Take a second and learn how public bodies work and maybe you'd understand.
I'm done arguing with you about this. Really don't need your explanation as I understand these types of governing bodies and the hurdles to making them function. They could and should have gone faster. I'm choosing not to make excuses for them.

I'm done arguing with you about this. Really don't need your explanation as I understand these types of governing bodies and the hurdles to making them function. They could and should have gone faster. I'm choosing not to make excuses for them.
Good - I'm glad you know how it all works and I'm sure they are all sorry how much they have inconvenienced you.

This. It’s funny that people think a bunch of people who are twiddling their thumbs in Indianapolis are the ones who set NCAA rules.

Yes I have also been confused by the commends. Kennedy isn’t winning 157 so there’s zero point in him cutting there.
If PK could make 157, I think he could beat Franek. He beat Peyton Robb two summers ago at 74kg U23 trials.

I hope Nelson stays healthy also.
There's a match he really wants this season and it's at 174.
A little bit of unfinished business you could say.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I don't recall if it was Angelo's announcement on Flo or whether it was a podcast interview he did but he clearly stated that he chose Iowa in part because AJ had a path and an invitation assuming his legal situation was settled. Its settled. AJ also recently commented on IG that he plans on finishing his NCAA wrestling eligibility before starting his MMA career. Its all but a sealed deal at this point, barring another legal matter and/or University bottlenecking it due to academics. May as well just pencil him in at this point.

Why - How about you give me your pearls of wisdom why someone who was a completely dominating athlete at the high school level has not yet reached the podium after three years in the Iowa wrestling room?

I'd love to see him take the next step but there are reasons why some do and some don't.
Bro he has 1 year in the starting lineup. He did good and I'd say he translated to college pretty well. Big 10 runner up and had the 6 seed. Just because he's not pinning Amine, Hamiti, Carr, KOT, etc. doesn't mean he didn't translate. Who knows maybe his sophomore year will see a big jump, but he did very well for his first time in the grind of the season.

I don't think a lot of you actually watched him wrestle. I'm convinced of that! He was a bright spot in our lineup and seemed to be ready for nationals after his runner up finish. He just fell short at nationals. You can say bad draw but he just lost. It happens. Still a top ten guy in a loaded weight class.

Bro he has 1 year in the starting lineup. He did good and I'd say he translated to college pretty well. Big 10 runner up and had the 6 seed. Just because he's not pinning Amine, Hamiti, Carr, KOT, etc. doesn't mean he didn't translate. Who knows maybe his sophomore year will see a big jump, but he did very well for his first time in the grind of the season.

I don't think a lot of you actually watched him wrestle. I'm convinced of that! He was a bright spot in our lineup and seemed to be ready for nationals after his runner up finish. He just fell short at nationals. You can say bad draw but he just lost. It happens. Still a top ten guy in a loaded weight class.
We watched him plenty, myself in person several times over the last 3 years. He is not athletically gifted enough to be a top 4 at this weight at this level IMO. He strikes me as a Murin type of ceiling, will almost always beat guys outside of the top 10 but not quite a good enough athlete to finish on the elite 165s with a reach and speed advantage. Vhsalum made a good point about Tom recruiting over him, its the reality of the situation. Next year he could be a deadly 157 IMO when Franek is done. Until then he is the odd guy out.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
He can only go 5X and still have 4 years of eligibilty left. Maybe its unclear if he redshirts or not, but you wouldnt burn one of those 5 on a meet where he is not needed.
The suspensions uncertainty is important for certain, but do you really see 5 matches in the first semester where he is 'needed'?

I see potentially only one - Iowa State. I hope we get to see him in Nov/Dec.

Last edited:
We watched him plenty, myself in person several times over the last 3 years. He is not athletically gifted enough to be a top 4 at this weight at this level IMO. He strikes me as a Murin type of ceiling, will almost always beat guys outside of the top 10 but not quite a good enough athlete to finish on the elite 165s with a reach and speed advantage. Vhsalum made a good point about Tom recruiting over him, its the reality of the situation. Next year he could be a deadly 157 IMO when Franek is done. Until then he is the odd guy
Dude. The first time he faced Hamiti it was a one point match. When he lost to Amine it was a one point match. Murin never had 3 returning NCAA champions in his bracket. This year there are 2. 165 is a buzz saw. Is Amine elite?

Reactions: iawrestle38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT