ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

I know people get excited about this stuff sometimes but wrestling has a lot to offer fan bases both in the season and tournament. Where else do you get both team accomplishments and individual accolades like this? I guess Track and field and weight sports might be close, but they're still noticeably different.
This year is as close to a lock as possible that Iowa gets a a four time champ. They'll get multiple All Americans I'm sure. As long as you guys perform up to par it's a great season and the fans are happy.
Yeah, PSU will probably win the team title which makes fans happy and I'm sure they'll have a few champs. And a similar story. So one team being better only goes so far in bragging rights. It seems if you keep a good perspective it's hard not to enjoy the next few months.
So I try to take things in stride. I only get so up and down over what's a fun hobby.

Lots of Boos for Cassi in the last 10 seconds of his match last night.

He had his best match ever against the #1 kid in the nation, someone he has never beat, and the home crowd soundly disparages him.

Just say'in, when you think about it every boo on every venue disses someone. Not the best look when its one of your own.

PS - can someone explain to me that neutral danger can get you 2, but when you hold him in the same position for 10 more seconds you get zero back points??? I saw god aweful reffing in three different duals last night. These guys stink.

Reactions: therod

He had his best match ever against the #1 kid in the nation, someone he has never beat, and the home crowd soundly disparages him.

Just say'in, when you think about it every boo on every venue disses someone. Not the best look when its one of your own.

PS - can someone explain to me that neutral danger can get you 2, but when you hold him in the same position for 10 more seconds you get zero back points??? I saw god aweful reffing in three different duals last night. These guys stink.

The booing was for the refs. According to an explanation on the radio. Past 90 degrees gets you the two points. It has to get past 45 degrees to get nearfall points. Refs said it didn't get past 45 degrees. For what its worth, I thought he had him parallel.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone

Is this sarcasm or the stupidest post I've ever seen on this board?

Neutral danger is 90 degrees and nearfall criteria is 45 degrees. The official obviously felt the position was somewhere between those degrees, rightly or wrongly. EDIT: Just saw the earlier response.

I would have liked to see the near fall but they just as easily coul have called locked hands after the takedown was awarded

Reactions: jrod65
The booing was for the refs. According to an explanation on the radio. Past 90 degrees gets you the two points. It has to get past 45 degrees to get nearfall points. Refs said it didn't get past 45 degrees. For what its worth, I thought he had him parallel.
In the 3rd period, after Cass got taken down to fall behind 8-7, the crowd again chanted “Tony… Tony… Tony…” with 40 secs to go, like they had earlier in the match, to encourage him to get out from bottom. With 10 secs to go, when he hadn’t gotten out, and instead stayed flattened out for the entire last minute of the match, the “Tony” chants turned into boo’s.

Reactions: hlstone
The fans were looking for a stalling call from the ref. The stall call wasn't warranted but frustration was carried over from previous calls from the official.

Hawk fans boo opponents when they exhibit poor behavior while guests in Iowa City.

Reactions: mcpat
In the 3rd period, after Cass got taken down to fall behind 8-7, the crowd again chanted “Tony… Tony… Tony…” with 40 secs to go, like they had earlier in the match, to encourage him to get out from bottom. With 10 secs to go, when he hadn’t gotten out, and instead stayed flattened out for the entire last minute of the match, the “Tony” chants turned into boo’s.
Because it was a parallel ride by Parris you fool. Do you really think our fans were booing Cass? You can’t be that dumb……..can you?

Because it was a parallel ride by Parris you fool. Do you really think our fans were booing Cass? You can’t be that dumb……..can you?
I can be, unfortunately.

Don’t you have a statue outside your facility of your legendary coach calling for stalling on his own wrestler?

Did you think Parris deserved a stall call over Big Tony? I guess I can understand the home team fans believing so. But Cass was flattened out for a minute with no attempt to get to his base and with his head even on the mat for a good bit of it. That’s usually called as stalling on bottom man, not top.

Everyone keeps saying Cass has never beaten Paris, but I could swear he did Paris’s 1st year out at Midlands. Maybe I made this up in my head or Paris was redshirting so it just doesn’t count; can someone confirm or deny this?

Everyone keeps saying Cass has never beaten Paris, but I could swear he did Paris’s 1st year out at Midlands. Maybe I made this up in my head or Paris was redshirting so it just doesn’t count; can someone confirm or deny this?
Nope. Lost the first 2 by first period fall and the most recent one by major at Nationals, before last night. Sam Stoll did beat Parris his freshman year.

Reactions: tiltman
Paris never redshirted. Stoll beat him at NCAAs in 2019. Parris lost to Jennings and Stencel at Midlands that year; Cass lost to Stencel and Heino at same tournament.

Cass murdered him at Fargo is probably what you’re thinking of

It’s hilarious that trolls are still determined to portray the Carver crowd as the villain. It’s easily the most passionate and knowledgeable crowd in wrestling, but it’s a fair crowd. If you act like a punk, you’re going to hear about it. If you’re a ref making bonehead calls, you’ll get an earful (sure, the Iowa crowd has an unparalleled disdain for stalling and does complain about that more than most, but that’s far from scandalous).

But if you just come into Carver and compete hard without acting like an ass, you’ll be well-received every time. The Iowa crowd respects and appreciates good wrestling, even if it involves a lopsided win over an Iowa guy. Parris didn’t win handily by any means but was treated with respect because he was respectful, himself.

Last edited:
Holy crap, are you in 3rd or 4th grade?

krule-john-c-reilly.gif
He's just the biggest dumb ass on these forums.

It’s hilarious that trolls are still determined to portray the Carver crowd as the villain. It’s easily the most passionate and knowledgeable crowd in wrestling, but it’s a fair crowd. If you act like a punk, you’re going to hear about it. If you’re a ref making bonehead calls, you’ll get an earful (sure, the Iowa crowd has an unparalleled disdain for stalling and does complain about that more than most, but that’s far from scandalous).

But if you just come into Carver and compete hard without acting like an ass, you’ll be well-received in Carver every time. The Iowa crowd respects and appreciates good wrestling, even if it involves a lopsided win over an Iowa guy. Parris didn’t win handily by any means but was treated with respect because he was respectful, himself.
This^^

From my seat in Carver, the booing was for the ref because fans were upset about no back points earlier and how the match ended. Then after the match, a large majority of fans were clapping out of respect for match.
Exactly. If you were in Carver, it was obvious from the context.

Reactions: Aleric1
Okay, I’ll provide the credit for this. This is from a George Carlin routine from the seventies.

Character was weatherman Al Sleet, the hippy dippy weatherman. “Tonight dark. Scattered light toward morning.”

“The weather was dominated by a large Canadian low, which is not to be confused with a Mexican high.”

Like Willie said, if an Iowa high school kid choose PSU and was going to go down as one of the all-time greats I have a feeling we wouldn't be too friendly. Using this as some kind of moral victory over PSU is lame and I would expect that from their fan base if the roles were reversed. We are better than this. And Booing is fun. And the Gable standing O was because he was an Olympic champ and he was being pretty gracious on his farewell tour.
Booing! It’s what we do in Philly.

I was definitely bothered by the booing. Not how it should be handled of course.

Obviously nothing in the same stratosphere as what Iowa sports fans have done in the past at home (throw beer cans at black wrestlers, scream racial epithets, boo football players when they incur season ending injuries, etc.), but I agree that booing Spencer was out of character and reflected poorly on us.
Of course, go with your wacko liberal construct. If you can't defend, deflect to the ever popular race card.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
I see. Will he be recruiting over them per standard protocol?
Well yes...most definitely. And as per the HR rumor dating back to 2014 or so, all the nation's recruits are on to the scumbag which is Cael and he wont be able to get anyone to go to PSU.

I see. Will he be recruiting over them per standard protocol?
Well yes...most definitely. And as per the HR rumor dating back to 2014 or so, all the nation's recruits are on to the scumbag which is Cael and he wont be able to get anyone to go to PSU.
Can you 2 girls just get a room on your own board?

10/10 response. Ace work, really.
You’re too kind, the solid work was all yours. Can we get the last few posts pulled from this thread, printed and framed? We could form a committee and presented to you at Tulsa. Maybe a jacket and a ring to commemorate the pure genius. Certainly the ovation from the crowd would be overwhelming.
Surely the slush fund would contribute to the movement to recognize two of their stellar representatives.
I deeply and sincerely thank you for your tireless efforts to bring us the outstanding content we desire. The sharp wit is just a bonus and a treasure that we probably don’t deserve.

You’re too kind, the solid work was all yours. Can we get the last few posts pulled from this thread, printed and framed? We could form a committee and presented to you at Tulsa. Maybe a jacket and a ring to commemorate the pure genius. Certainly the ovation from the crowd would be overwhelming.
Surely the slush fund would contribute to the movement to recognize two of their stellar representatives.
I deeply and sincerely thank you for your tireless efforts to bring us the outstanding content we desire. The sharp wit is just a bonus and a treasure that we probably don’t deserve.

You’re certainly welcome, but man your post really

happy-days-the-fonz.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT