ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

Hello 1Hammers1: I am glad to respond to your comments and yes, I am using my name, because I will stand by what I am about to say and won’t hide behind a screen name to cast negative aspersions. First, no one from the Lee family has ever cried about the match you posted. I am extremely proud of how Spencer performed that day. I am also proud of the friendship that the two young men have developed after meeting twice in state finals and the fact that minutes after the match in question Spencer was telling Austin he would be a good fit at Iowa and two weeks later Spencer was in Austin's corner coaching him at Dapper Dan. It's really special, but someone from your jaded perspective would never understand, so enough on that front. It's far above your character and no amount of explaining would allow you to have any sense of comprehension. You can stick to your loathing or enmity approaches toward communication, which only speaks further to your inadequacies as a human being.

As far as the venue that day--I had a pretty good seat as well. I was in the first row and your recollection is clouded by disorientation, your desire to be a troll or you are ok with a misrepresentation of the facts. Not only did they boo and heckle Spencer they also chanted WE ARE, Penn State. After his loss that night, I left my wife to make my way up the steps to the concourse to walk around to the other side of the arena where he was and people in the crowd were shouting at me as I walked up the steps "take that to Iowa, FU and the Hawkeyes." I had a guy grab me by my arm laugh in an obnoxious manner to my face and say he should have chosen Penn State.

My wife was also heckled as she walked up the steps about 5 minutes after me—probably by many of the same folks and she heard more after she got to the concourse. I share this not to complain, but I won't allow the facts to be misrepresented. Hell, I even had a guy walk up to my table at the hotel the following morning, (where my wife and I were having breakfast with another coach) and make a smart-ass comment about Spencer picking Iowa and said he was glad he lost. Your point of no one caring was not our lived experience.

Iowabandwagon is correct. It was not a nice scene. It was also an obvious jab at his choice of Iowa over PSU. Your perspective of no one caring is total BS—I know. I lived in PA for 15 years. Coached our Schoolboy and Cadet National teams and our entire family was proud of being from PA. We loved our youth, schoolboy, cadet, and junior experience for Team PA. It was awesome. I truly believe we were the beneficiary of one of the strongest periods of PA wrestling.

The only part of the entire experience that I complained about after that evening was the fact that I felt others should respect how hard it was to decide and that everyone should have respected his decision—because it was his right to choose. What happened in that arena was not isolated either. So, am I complaining? No, not about the behavior that night, it’s human nature to cheer for the underdog and it’s also human nature to celebrate the upset. That’s sports. I love our sport and sports in general. My concern was entirely about the lack of respect for an athlete that made a tough choice. The poor behavior toward us as parents was not necessary. On that level, yes, I believe it was wrong.

One last point. If anyone knew Spencer was going to choose Iowa, then they knew more than we did as a family. I thought Penn State was leading the entire time until he made the decision and I believe that was the sentiment held more broadly. Again, this was our lived experience. We were genuinely surprised.

I also realize that the idiots that evening and in other situations after his decision was announced do not represent the majority. There were so many that were supportive and just awesome. It’s the same as with this and other forums. Some posters are simpletons, morons, nitwitted, and not the sharpest nor do they seem informed regarding the sport. They hide behind harsh vitriol and espouse critical sentiments while hiding behind screen names such as 1hammers1. I doubt they would say 25% as much if they shared their full names. Some are fans from other teams that want to incite and antagonize, and others are sharp-witted, educated on the sport and truly have a passion and I enjoy the banter and conversations that take place. The Hawkeyes have the best fan base and it's so fun to see how well we always travel. We love the passion.

Sorry for the long post, but I couldn't let the facts be so misrepresented regarding some of the comments made. I will now slide back into to my parental seat on the sidelines--where I belong.

Hello 1Hammers1: I am glad to respond to your comments and yes, I am using my name, because I will stand by what I am about to say and won’t hide behind a screen name to cast negative aspersions. First, no one from the Lee family has ever cried about the match you posted. I am extremely proud of how Spencer performed that day. I am also proud of the friendship that the two young men have developed after meeting twice in state finals and the fact that minutes after the match in question Spencer was telling Austin he would be a good fit at Iowa and two weeks later Spencer was in Austin's corner coaching him at Dapper Dan. It's really special, but someone from your jaded perspective would never understand, so enough on that front. It's far above your character and no amount of explaining would allow you to have any sense of comprehension. You can stick to your loathing or enmity approaches toward communication, which only speaks further to your inadequacies as a human being.

As far as the venue that day--I had a pretty good seat as well. I was in the first row and your recollection is clouded by disorientation, your desire to be a troll or you are ok with a misrepresentation of the facts. Not only did they boo and heckle Spencer they also chanted WE ARE, Penn State. After his loss that night, I left my wife to make my way up the steps to the concourse to walk around to the other side of the arena where he was and people in the crowd were shouting at me as I walked up the steps "take that to Iowa, FU and the Hawkeyes." I had a guy grab me by my arm laugh in an obnoxious manner to my face and say he should have chosen Penn State.

My wife was also heckled as she walked up the steps about 5 minutes after me—probably by many of the same folks and she heard more after she got to the concourse. I share this not to complain, but I won't allow the facts to be misrepresented. Hell, I even had a guy walk up to my table at the hotel the following morning, (where my wife and I were having breakfast with another coach) and make a smart-ass comment about Spencer picking Iowa and said he was glad he lost. Your point of no one caring was not our lived experience.

Iowabandwagon is correct. It was not a nice scene. It was also an obvious jab at his choice of Iowa over PSU. Your perspective of no one caring is total BS—I know. I lived in PA for 15 years. Coached our Schoolboy and Cadet National teams and our entire family was proud of being from PA. We loved our youth, schoolboy, cadet, and junior experience for Team PA. It was awesome. I truly believe we were the beneficiary of one of the strongest periods of PA wrestling.

The only part of the entire experience that I complained about after that evening was the fact that I felt others should respect how hard it was to decide and that everyone should have respected his decision—because it was his right to choose. What happened in that arena was not isolated either. So, am I complaining? No, not about the behavior that night, it’s human nature to cheer for the underdog and it’s also human nature to celebrate the upset. That’s sports. I love our sport and sports in general. My concern was entirely about the lack of respect for an athlete that made a tough choice. The poor behavior toward us as parents was not necessary. On that level, yes, I believe it was wrong.

One last point. If anyone knew Spencer was going to choose Iowa, then they knew more than we did as a family. I thought Penn State was leading the entire time until he made the decision and I believe that was the sentiment held more broadly. Again, this was our lived experience. We were genuinely surprised.

I also realize that the idiots that evening and in other situations after his decision was announced do not represent the majority. There were so many that were supportive and just awesome. It’s the same as with this and other forums. Some posters are simpletons, morons, nitwitted, and not the sharpest nor do they seem informed regarding the sport. They hide behind harsh vitriol and espouse critical sentiments while hiding behind screen names such as 1hammers1. I doubt they would say 25% as much if they shared their full names. Some are fans from other teams that want to incite and antagonize, and others are sharp-witted, educated on the sport and truly have a passion and I enjoy the banter and conversations that take place. The Hawkeyes have the best fan base and it's so fun to see how well we always travel. We love the passion.

Sorry for the long post, but I couldn't let the facts be so misrepresented regarding some of the comments made. I will now slide back into to my parental seat on the sidelines--where I belong.
Who put you onto @1Hammers1 ?

Part of your post is responding to my statement of 19/20 of us begrudgingly thinking Spencer was going to Iowa.
We have a crew that gets together around Thanksgiving and we end up talking wrestling. Spencer and Colat are the only recruits we ever discussed. At the end of the football game we decided that Iowa was where he was going. What did we know? Nothing. Just a hunch.

P.S. Thank you for sharing some thoughts with me at the last PSU dual. You are a good man.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Would ya look at that? A first-hand account from Larry Lee, himself. But I’m sure all of those taunts and chants were nothing but figments of his and Cathy’s imaginations. Or that there’s no way this is the real Larry Lee. Or some other ridiculous garbage. I’ll hang up and listen while more PSU trolls make asses of themselves.

To be fair, of course there are plenty of gracious PSU fans. But of course they have much more sense than to spend their days trying to denigrate Iowa wrestling on an Iowa wrestling message board while cowering behind their anonymity.

Iowa fans are more than happy to welcome the Lee family into our wrestling family. Fantastic people, and we’re proud to call them Hawkeyes and Iowans. The same goes for the DeSantos, the Murins, the Youngs, the Kemerers, the Franklins, and the families of any other PA wrestlers who eventually become Hawks.

Last edited:

Well everything work out great for you and Spencer at Iowa, see what happens when everyone Coe- operates.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Well everything work out great for you and Spencer at Iowa, see what happens when everyone Coe- operates.
Holy crap, are you in 3rd or 4th grade?

krule-john-c-reilly.gif

Reactions: Trapper85
I dont understand what people don't understand about the booing Spencer.

he's the sports biggest star, wrestles for the 'enemy', jilted PSU for Iowa and is from PA.

it's sports. that's what people do.

Phillies fans are irrationally p*ssed off at Mike Trout for resigning with the Angels instead of coming back home.

Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

And other than Gable, who has Carver 'respected' ? It's notorious for booing. Universally considered the harshest crowd to visitors and that's a badge y'all usually wear with pride.
I don't understand people booing the ultimate star of a sport they support. Unless, of course, the athlete is LeBron James. I saw Michael Jordan perform in many arenas and no one booed him. The fans came to see him play. I was watching the Iowa vs Penn State women's basketball game at State College today. Iowa won by over 40 points but no one booed Caitland Clark. One young girl held up a sigh that said it was a 450 mile trip to see Caitland Clark and she hoped that she could get a selfie with her. Clark took selfies and signed autographs for a lot of people including the young girl 's group from New Hampshire. My point is real fans, not fools and idiots, appreciate real talent and show it. And, the players will talk about being on the same court and playing against Clark for the rest of there lives.

We own you in Wrestling. Just accept the facts. I don’t see any time on the horizon where Iowa gets back on top. It’s just not going to happen. The battle is for second place and you guys are the front runners. Be happy with that.
No doubt PSU has been the far better program since Cael arrived but that's an amazingly cocky take considering we both know Iowa likely has 2 of the last 3 if not for covid. Iowa also has a state of the art facility coming. Let's reconvene 5-10 years after that is done and see where things stand, huh?

I don't understand people booing the ultimate star of a sport they support. Unless, of course, the athlete is LeBron James. I saw Michael Jordan perform in many arenas and no one booed him. The fans came to see him play. I was watching the Iowa vs Penn State women's basketball game at State College today. Iowa won by over 40 points but no one booed Caitland Clark. One young girl held up a sigh that said it was a 450 mile trip to see Caitland Clark and she hoped that she could get a selfie with her. Clark took selfies and signed autographs for a lot of people including the young girl 's group from New Hampshire. My point is real fans, not fools and idiots, appreciate real talent and show it. And, the players will talk about being on the same court and playing against Clark for the rest of there lives.
They support their team more than the sport. I’m a Penn state wrestling fan, I watch them wrestle . I’m not really interested in watching other teams wrestle . I might watch a few matches to see how upcoming opponents are doing , but not very many.

Trouble is your history isn't mine. It's like Michigan or ND trying to claim they're the mecca of college football. Hell, the Ivy League was the dominant football conference way back in the day and the Service academies were actually national powers.
Outside of those fan bases few actually care and as time goes on that amount will grow smaller and current trends monopolize the conversation. Talk to a 25 year old kid about that 1971 game between Nebraska and Oklahoma, or any other great game back then and if you don't put them asleep they might look it up. If they are fans of those schools.
If the trend continues with PSU winning NCAA team titles at app 75% or so they will be in the conversation soon enough for greatest ever but like most sports, historians will tend to focus on eras.
Ivy league? Service academies? OK. I think most reasonable people would have Michigan or ND near the top of Mecca status but you seem to let fandom get in the way of being reasonable. It's been a very nice run for PSU but you're johnny come lately of the wrestling world. Again, without covid Iowa likely has 2 of last 3 and that's without the new facility coming to carver. Most of your meets are in a dinky, old 7k facility but yeah....MECCA. Again, still LOTS of work to do there. When you get close to 20 let's talk

24>10

You can’t claim one you didn’t wrestle.
"Likely" is nowhere close to claiming it, dumbass. But you know how it probably would have gone after big tens. Virus was kind to the nittany kittens that year. Seriously, why are there so many dipshit PSU football and wrestling fans? It's an outlier for the conference

"Likely" is nowhere close to claiming it, dumbass. But you know how it probably would have gone after big tens. Virus was kind to the nittany kittens that year. Seriously, why are there so many dipshit PSU football and wrestling fans? It's an outlier for the conference
Point is you don’t know.

Ivy league? Service academies? OK. I think most reasonable people would have Michigan or ND near the top of Mecca status but you seem to let fandom get in the way of being reasonable. It's been a very nice run for PSU but you're johnny come lately of the wrestling world. Again, without covid Iowa likely has 2 of last 3 and that's without the new facility coming to carver. Most of your meets are in a dinky, old 7k facility but yeah....MECCA. Again, still LOTS of work to do there. When you get close to 20 let's talk

24>10
Point is most people don’t a crap about another school’s history , that’s the reality. Your history my history and recent history >>>>>> past history.

I’ll add 32 or so >>>> 7 or so. Recent history is what most will focus on, hell , 2010 is 13 years ago now.
For the future it’s looking really positive for psu, more so than iowa. You have arguably the top wrestling state with high school talent in the same state as a school that won 9-12 NCAAs, and a top level training club.
It’s going to be very hard for anyone to overtake them in the foreseeable future.

Part of your post is responding to my statement of 19/20 of us begrudgingly thinking Spencer was going to Iowa.
We have a crew that gets together around Thanksgiving and we end up talking wrestling. Spencer and Colat are the only recruits we ever discussed. At the end of the football game we decided that Iowa was where he was going. What did we know? Nothing. Just a hunch.

P.S. Thank you for sharing some thoughts with me at the last PSU dual. You are a good man.
Hunches are funny things, when proven true we put a lot of weight to them, when they don't we tend to forget about them. There is something to being both close to the situation and removed, probably seeing things from a different filter.

Reactions: hlstone
But we did wrestle the BIG 10 tourney and smashed you guys. So yes we can say we have been the better team 2 of the past 3 years.
It's more 2 and 3 years ago you were the better team, last year and this year, nope. But if I recall correctly PSU over performed seeding wise beating a #1 Fix, a #1 Eierman, and a #1 Kemerer in the finals with # Brooks beating the #2 guy Hidlay.
So recent history is shifting back to PAU, and who knows what happens without Covid? What wrestlers from each team would have been gone in 2021?

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUer1989
Checks out..
Thanks for digging this up glenhawk. In that thread Johnstown says he was “one of the few” who thought Iowa. Much different than him saying most from his parts thinking it was Iowa. Which was exactly my point. Most thought penn st and rightfully so. Even I did right up until around that time that jts and the crew had their “gut” feelings. Probably heard the same thing as me that Iowa was a real contender.

Thanks for digging this up glenhawk. In that thread Johnstown says he was “one of the few” who thought Iowa. Much different than him saying most from his parts thinking it was Iowa. Which was exactly my point. Most thought penn st and rightfully so. Even I did right up until around that time that jts and the crew had their “gut” feelings. Probably heard the same thing as me that Iowa was a real contender.
The “most” I was referring to were those on the boards. In my circle, we had him picking Iowa. And of course no one really knew… Spencer’s family was even surprised at his decision.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
At what point did you begrudgingly agree he was going to Iowa? 9/10 (at least) were set on penn state. I don’t want to pull up the early discussions on this on bwi but it wasn’t until he said who it was down to and people consideredwho he was trained by that people even though of Iowa. And even then, most still thought there was no way he was going to Iowa. As a matter of fact, he said he picked up the phone to call Carl and commit. So….yeah, nobody knew. I knew there was a chance he was going to Iowa but if I’m honest, I thought it was going to be psu. Glad he didn’t go there. And psu fans are going to downplay the treatment he received his senior year. It was the worst I’ve ever seen. It’s a big reason I cheered him on through college. I was strictly a high school (pa) follower prior. It is what it is but most thought psu and he was treated like a bum in that last match.
10 weights in college. 10. Matches don't start and stop at 125. He's 10% of the pie. You need 10 pieces of corn for dinner, he gives you 1.

• Haha
Reactions: GlenHawk
I wonder if any Lehigh, Clarion, Penn, F&M, Pitt, Bloomsburg, Edinsboro, Drexel, Lock Haven, or Bucknell fans were in the 10,500 arena that day in Hershey?

Reactions: PSUer1989
10 weights in college. 10. Matches don't start and stop at 125. He's 10% of the pie. You need 10 pieces of corn for dinner, he gives you 1.
83% of the pie, actually. And I don’t know wtf this has to do with the discussion about people being pissed about Lee choosing Iowa over psu. If you’re saying psu didn’t need him to win, I beg to differ. He did win a team championship and should’ve had two. He also prevented (possibly) psu from having claims at the greatest team ever. And it quite possibly could’ve been had he gone there. So yeah, he cock blocked you guys on those two things at the very least. Be mad.

83% of the pie, actually. And I don’t know wtf this has to do with the discussion about people being pissed about Lee choosing Iowa over psu. If you’re saying psu didn’t need him to win, I beg to differ. He did win a team championship and should’ve had two. He also prevented (possibly) psu from having claims at the greatest team ever. And it quite possibly could’ve been had he gone there. So yeah, he cock blocked you guys on those two things at the very least. Be mad.
It's silly to be mad about things like that lolol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT