ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

It’s more than a few handfuls of people, man. I had no idea who that dude was until I saw PSU fans linking his podcast as some way of defending the situation. Like I said, search it on Twitter and see for yourself.

Also, never claimed Iowa’s fanbase is perfect but I can guarantee you that my fandom for Iowa football would be done had that happened at my alma mater.
This is the kind of take I disagree with. If I found out that Iowa football had been covering up a pedophile, I'd be beyond angry and disgusted. Part of the reason I'd be angry is that a few people's actions had tarnished an institution and program with a legacy that's existed for many years. PSU as an institution existed long before Sandusky. Those at the school who covered it up, and the fans who still support them, are disgusting, but there's no reason to quit being a fan of your school over it. Doing that allows Sandusky to define your whole institution's history.

The weatherman said that the forecast for tonight was dark. He was right.
Okay, I’ll provide the credit for this. This is from a George Carlin routine from the seventies.

Character was weatherman Al Sleet, the hippy dippy weatherman. “Tonight dark. Scattered light toward morning.”

Last edited:
Reactions: artradley
Wtf is this thread about now? I’ve lost track.

We should have a dumpster fire thread pinned, where all atrocities like this get lumped together. We can call that thread the cesspool manifesto. Eventually a documentary will be made about crazy wrestling fans and this “hypothetical thread” will represent their burden of proof.

How many Hawkeye fans do you actually know well enough that you could claim to know how they feel about any given subject?
How many Hawkeye fans are there, total?
Is the first number divided by the second number greater than 50%?
If not, then you can't make a claim about the majority of Hawkeye fans, let alone a claim about the majority of their fans, as I would assume you know even fewer of them.

These PSU guys are going to start to lump you in with the other guys that they already generalize the Hawkeye fanbase on. Personally, I don't care to be lumped into that generalization.
Good points.

Wow really? How about you ask some of YOUR “black” wrestlers about their experience at your noble institution. Here’s a hint: I know those who did, not a good conversation. You people always have to put color to stuff. STOP. You’ve never nor will ever walk in our shoes, so to use it as a tag line to a “get back message” is disgusting. My son picked Iowa OVER PSU. Culture was the foremost driver to that. Yep, Iowa boos folks. Yep, there are idiots in every crowd, but I honestly would not want to be around Carver if ever they come after my kid. Wanna know why? Because the TRUE fans, the folks on THIS page would do the unimaginable to that poor bastard. They’ve defended my son on here and he has yet to step on the mats as a Hawkeye.

So please, just stop. There is already too much division because of race we don’t need idiots heaping more coals on this fire.
Coach, I believe that you just had one of the the most "liked" of any post that I've ever seen on this board.

I dont understand what people don't understand about the booing Spencer.

he's the sports biggest star, wrestles for the 'enemy', jilted PSU for Iowa and is from PA.

it's sports. that's what people do.

Phillies fans are irrationally p*ssed off at Mike Trout for resigning with the Angels instead of coming back home.

Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

And other than Gable, who has Carver 'respected' ? It's notorious for booing. Universally considered the harshest crowd to visitors and that's a badge y'all usually wear with pride.
Willie, I wish they had a spotlight on you at Carver to help us aim the little ends of our Carver Cones. That enough like Philly for you? ;)

Last edited:

Great match to watch again. I was in the club section 6 rows back. I do not remember anyone booing . You can cry about who won another 10 years it won't change who won.

Reactions: PAHURDLER
We own you in Wrestling. Just accept the facts. I don’t see any time on the horizon where Iowa gets back on top. It’s just not going to happen. The battle is for second place and you guys are the front runners. Be happy with that.

We own you in Wrestling. Just accept the facts. I don’t see any time on the horizon where Iowa gets back on top. It’s just not going to happen. The battle is for second place and you guys are the front runners. Be happy with that.
Another cowardly troll from the F*** State. Just like the boos, that's who you guys are. Everyone knows it.

Great match to watch again. I was in the club section 6 rows back. I do not remember anyone booing . You can cry about who won another 10 years it won't change who won.
Deaf or a liar or both? I was there too. There were cheers, boos and laughter. Spencer was heckled out of there. I know it’s convenient to say it’s not true but it is. I’m a pa high school wrestling fan. Always have been but he was sent out of Pennsylvania with a sour taste in his mouth. Are you calling him a liar? He said he heard people booing. I heard a lot worse. Everyone in there wanted him to lose because he snubbed psu and went to the rival. Don’t try to say otherwise. I live here and have had arguments with scorned psu fans over it. Every single person who followed wrestling was dead convinced he was going to penn state and when he didn’t…those same people hated him and then roasted him at states. These are facts.

I always wonder if Spencer would have had the same, less, or more success had he chosen PSU. It seems pretty clear in hindsight that he never wanted to be a big fish in a big pond, which is ultimately why he chose Iowa over PSU. Being “just another multiple time NCAA champ” among many didn’t seem to interest him. He wanted to be The Man.

(Unplanting my tongue in my cheek, I can see the draw for wanting to train under TnT as a light weight)

Deaf or a liar or both? I was there too. There were cheers, boos and laughter. Spencer was heckled out of there. I know it’s convenient to say it’s not true but it is. I’m a pa high school wrestling fan. Always have been but he was sent out of Pennsylvania with a sour taste in his mouth. Are you calling him a liar? He said he heard people booing. I heard a lot worse. Everyone in there wanted him to lose because he snubbed psu and went to the rival. Don’t try to say otherwise. I live here and have had arguments with scorned psu fans over it. Every single person who followed wrestling was dead convinced he was going to penn state and when he didn’t…those same people hated him and then roasted him at states. These are facts.
I’m from Pennsylvania and I don’t hate him. Hate is a powerful word.

Not sure how you define Mecca but Id think if it's a comparison to real Mecca that history has something to do with it.... in which case PSU isn't even in the discussion.

As a hawk I have no problem saying it's Gallagher Iba, 34 titles ranging from '28-'06 speaks for itself... Especially in a venue that was built in 1938. That's a ton of history there. Iowa has only been really good since 75 but 24>10 by quite a bit. Penn St has a LOT of work to do to even enter the debate
Trouble is your history isn't mine. It's like Michigan or ND trying to claim they're the mecca of college football. Hell, the Ivy League was the dominant football conference way back in the day and the Service academies were actually national powers.
Outside of those fan bases few actually care and as time goes on that amount will grow smaller and current trends monopolize the conversation. Talk to a 25 year old kid about that 1971 game between Nebraska and Oklahoma, or any other great game back then and if you don't put them asleep they might look it up. If they are fans of those schools.
If the trend continues with PSU winning NCAA team titles at app 75% or so they will be in the conversation soon enough for greatest ever but like most sports, historians will tend to focus on eras.

It's called moving the goalposts, Gilliam is quite the wrestler and a top performer on the world stage.
When did I ever say he wasn't? He's just not on the level as Dake, Snyder, or Taylor.

Using that logic, Mark Branch and David Taylor were on the same level in college (2x champs, 4x finalist), but we all know that isn't true.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
You are right and wrong.

Yes there were boos at States and boos at the last dual. Yes Spencer heard them and hated it.

You are wrong about everyone in PA thinking he was coming to PSU. My crew hoped he was coming to PSU, but we all begrudgingly agreed that he was most likely going to Iowa.

We do have one guy, out of about 20 of us, that is still pissed at Lee. The rest of us respect the heck out of the kid.

Stop. You know damn well that TG is not and has never been on Dake or Snyder’s level. If you do think that, you don’t understand wrestling.
I’m just asking who you place him with among the rest of the USA Wrestling team.

You are right and wrong.

Yes there were boos at States and boos at the last dual. Yes Spencer heard them and hated it.

You are wrong about everyone in PA thinking he was coming to PSU. My crew hoped he was coming to PSU, but we all begrudgingly agreed that he was most likely going to Iowa.

We do have one guy, out of about 20 of us, that is still pissed at Lee. The rest of us respect the heck out of the kid.
I’m my parts we all had him going to Iowa as well.

Reactions: nitlion6
I’m just asking who you place him with among the rest of the USA Wrestling team.
Currently? Not sure. Maybe J'den, but even he was at one time a top P4P wrestler in the world. Gilman has never been in that conversation.

I'd say TG is second-tier on the current team. Not on the level as the wrestlers I've already mentioned but a level above guys like Zain, Oliver, Gross, etc.

Reactions: mcpat
I was there. All I heard was cheering for the underdog. Get a grip. Spencer isn't king of PIAA. All his crying for years probably made people who never booed boo him 2 weeks ago. Cry me a river.

Currently? Not sure. Maybe J'den, but even he was at one time a top P4P wrestler in the world. Gilman has never been in that conversation.

I'd say TG is second-tier on the current team. Not on the level as the wrestlers I've already mentioned but a level above guys like Zain, Oliver, Gross, etc.
I think that’s the issue. He’s either by himself or with that upper-echelon. As you point out, clearly above the others. I have no issue saying he’s in his own tier. Just was curious where you’d put him.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Another thing . I really doubt many people at giant center that year even knew Spencer was heading to Iowa. It's a made up cry baby story. It never happened. Just like the booing you guys are crying about now.
Thank goodness you joined and could set us straight.
Is there an algorithm that notifies pa people that something less than flattering is being posted about them?
A faux outrage thread that rallies the troops to go defend all that is pa?

I was there. All I heard was cheering for the underdog. Get a grip. Spencer isn't king of PIAA. All his crying for years probably made people who never booed boo him 2 weeks ago. Cry me a river.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you one of the scorned.

You are right and wrong.

At what point did you begrudgingly agree he was going to Iowa? 9/10 (at least) were set on penn state. I don’t want to pull up the early discussions on this on bwi but it wasn’t until he said who it was down to and people consideredwho he was trained by that people even though of Iowa. And even then, most still thought there was no way he was going to Iowa. As a matter of fact, he said he picked up the phone to call Carl and commit. So….yeah, nobody knew. I knew there was a chance he was going to Iowa but if I’m honest, I thought it was going to be psu. Glad he didn’t go there. And psu fans are going to downplay the treatment he received his senior year. It was the worst I’ve ever seen. It’s a big reason I cheered him on through college. I was strictly a high school (pa) follower prior. It is what it is but most thought psu and he was treated like a bum in that last match.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT