ADVERTISEMENT

Student behavior question for principals or school administrators?

Teachers, staff and taxpayers don’t have rights apparently. Again, this wasn’t a thing when I started. Kids have no problem tearing up a room. I taught some tough ass kids my first decade and none of them had these kinds of destroy property temper tantrums…because consequences. Why did districts allow this to get this far? It only gets worse from here. It’s only gotten worse. Yeah I’m admittedly effing pissed off.
Corporal punishments or legal consequences against the child and parents is the only way to fix these issues.

Teachers, staff and taxpayers don’t have rights apparently. Again, this wasn’t a thing when I started. Kids have no problem tearing up a room. I taught some tough ass kids my first decade and none of them had these kinds of destroy property temper tantrums…because consequences. Why did districts allow this to get this far? It only gets worse from here. It’s only gotten worse. Yeah I’m admittedly effing pissed off.

Honestly, in this case I think you need to ask your administrator these questions.

Districts handle these things differently. So your administration would have a unique view. I know how districts I have worked for handled it but that’s kind of irrelevant.

I could stop responding, but since you asked for thoughts on the topic I won’t.

Simply, that student still has rights to an education, it’s as simple as that. From there, what is the discipline. Unfortunately, it get gray when you start to assign discipline. Common sense says that kid should get severe consequences and in some cases that happens and other situations it’s handled differently.

Let me ask…what do you think is the appropriate consequence?

• Sad
Reactions: EasyHawk and WSC72
fear of lawsuits if teachers/staff get physical with the student to put a stop to it?
There’s definitely fear of something. I saw a clip the other night of an older black woman calling out a problem. Teachers are scared of admin. Admin is scared of the super. Super scared of the school board. School board scared of the parents. Parents scared of the kids. Kids not scared of anything. It has been allowed to get this far and lawsuits are the only thing I can come up with. But people who make more money than I make have decided that this violence is tolerable.

Simply, that student still has rights to an education, it’s as simple as that. From there, what is the discipline. Unfortunately, it get gray when you start to assign discipline. Common sense says that kid should get severe consequences and in some cases that happens and other situations it’s handled differently.

We have an online learning platform. Taxpayers provide that and they can learn from home. That’s the other thing…public education should be a privilege and no longer a right. The kid who is not allowed to be asked to do anything isn’t getting an education anyway. It’s babysitting. He is allowed to do anything he wants that keeps him from exploding. He comes from the grossest family I have ever seen.

Honestly, in this case I think you need to ask your administrator these questions.

Districts handle these things differently. So your administration would have a unique view. I know how districts I have worked for handled it but that’s kind of irrelevant.

I could stop responding, but since you asked for thoughts on the topic I won’t.
I don’t need your advice. You haven’t answered a single question I had.

If it was my kid, spanking, loosing privileges at home. Make his life miserable until he realizes who is in charge. If he gets aggressive would bear hug him until he calmed down.

There’s definitely fear of something. I saw a clip the other night of an older black woman calling out a problem. Teachers are scared of admin. Admin is scared of the super. Super scared of the school board. School board scared of the parents. Parents scared of the kids. Kids not scared of anything. It has been allowed to get this far and lawsuits are the only thing I can come up with. But people who make more money than I make have decided that this violence is tolerable.
Not to go all “back in my day” but my grade school principal at Elijah Buell, Mr Pringle, had a paddle hanging right behind his desk.

Sweet, sweet man.

Anyway, I don’t know if anyone was actually paddled with it but everyone knew about it. That threat made a visit to his office kind of terrifying.

We have an online learning platform. Taxpayers provide that and they can learn from home. That’s the other thing…public education should be a privilege and no longer a right. The kid who is not allowed to be asked to do anything isn’t getting an education anyway. It’s babysitting. He is allowed to do anything he wants that keeps him from exploding. He comes from the grossest family I have ever seen.

IEP. Not gonna happen. Like it or not.

You should be able to to discipline the kid or parents, otherwise how are you going to curb the behavior. You are rewarding the behavior currently.

Not to go all “back in my day” but my grade school principal at Elijah Buell, Mr Pringle, had a paddle hanging right behind his desk.

Sweet, sweet man.

Anyway, I don’t know if anyone was actually paddled with it but everyone knew about it. That threat made a visit to his office kind of terrifying.
Our junior high Art teacher had a paddle in his closet called My Friend. I student taught under him years later when he was a principal and he said it never touched a kid, but just the thought of it kept us in line. Kids fear nothing now. At least some don’t.

I don’t need your advice. You haven’t answered a single question I had.

And? You didn’t answer mine. How did you intervene? What do you think should be done that can legally be done?

Did you go through Chapter 103 training? Do you have in-depth knowledge of how a BIP works? Do you know Special Ed Law?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
And? You didn’t answer mine. How did you intervene? What do you think should be done that can legally be done?

Did you go through Chapter 103 training? Do you have in-depth knowledge of how a BIP works?
Those options are not working, that is what he is telling you. This is the issue, admin wants to talk in circles.

Those options are not working, that is what he is telling you. This is the issue, admin wants to talk in circles.

I know it’s not working. But it’s law and we have to follow it. Like it or not.

Administration gets just as frustrated.

Sure you can make families pay for damages. But if they have no money then what? Sue them? Legal costs might exceed the cost of the damage?

That small percentage of kids can be really frustrating for everyone. Thankfully the vast vast majority of kids are great.

Reactions: win1forthe
I know it’s not working. But it’s law and we have to follow it. Like it or not.

Administration gets just as frustrated.

Sure you can make families pay for damages. But if they have no money then what? Sue them? Legal costs might exceed the cost of the damage?

That small percentage of kids can be really frustrating for everyone. Thankfully the vast vast majority of kids are great.
As a parent of 2 student this isn’t acceptable.

Reactions: WSC72

Did you go through Chapter 103 training? Do you have in-depth knowledge of how a BIP works? Do you know Special Ed Law?
I have written more than my share of FBA/BIPs. You’re literally not telling me things I don’t know.

You allowing this behavior due to the law is creating safety concerns for my kids and impeding their learning environment while the teachers are dealing with behaviors.

Thanks for clarifying. One, as a parent I agree with you. Two, who said I allowed it. I was just trying to explain why some might. It is also good to have some background knowledge on what the law says.

As I mentioned above districts handle things in various ways.

I have written more than my share of FBA/BIPs. You’re literally not telling me things I don’t know.

Thanks. I wish you would have related that earlier. I would have certainly answered differently.

I’d be pissed if my admin just walked away too.

Reactions: win1forthe
Thanks for clarifying. One, as a parent I agree with you. Two, who said I allowed it. I was just trying to explain why some might. It is also good to have some background knowledge on what the law says.

As I mentioned above districts handle things in various ways.
You seem to be condoning the behavior. Not giving reasonable solutions, let’s rephrase no solutions, yes you may not have the solutions currently, but then going after Tom doesn’t appear to be productive either. Other than kicking the kids out there really isn’t an answer right now. They just get kicked to another school and nothing gets better.

A student tore up my daughters binder and threw it in the dirt. What should I do?

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkMD
No he didn’t. Why is this behavior allowed? Why can kids destroy taxpayer and staff property without consequences? You’re telling me nothing I don’t already know. I’m not asking for freaking advice.

4th time.
Because somewhere in the late 90s, accountability stopped being valued by parents and stopped being outsourced to schools.

And when that happened, ambulance chasers started convincing shitty parents that they are actually great parents and that the schools have no right to discipline their shitty kids how they see fit.

And that led to a few lawsuits that crippled a few school districts and then everyone else simply fell in line and said, “It’s not worth the effort to overcome shitty upbringing with strict discipline.”

This has all resulted in the current non-aggression pact between shitty parents with shitty kids and apathetic administrators whose job it is to not get sued.

Reactions: Chuck C and HawkMD
You seem to be condoning the behavior. Not giving reasonable solutions, let’s rephrase no solutions, yes you may not have the solutions currently, but then going after Tom doesn’t appear to be productive either. Other than kicking the kids out there really isn’t an answer right now. They just get kicked to another school and nothing gets better.

I’m not trying to go after Tom. He seems like a dedicated guy who, most of the time, loves his job. Disagreeing with him on certain points? Absolutely. I completely get why he’s frustrated.

Reasonable solution, try to change the laws. As Tom would tell you it’s hard to kick out an IEP student.

Our junior high Art teacher had a paddle in his closet called My Friend. I student taught under him years later when he was a principal and he said it never touched a kid, but just the thought of it kept us in line. Kids fear nothing now. At least some don’t.

There are many days I wish we could go back

I’m not trying to go after Tom. He seems like a dedicated guy who, most of the time, loves his job. Disagreeing with him on certain points? Absolutely. I completely get why he’s frustrated.

Reasonable solution, try to change the laws. As Tom would tell you it’s hard to kick out an IEP student.
How did he get kicked out of old school and my guess is he is a frequent flyer. I understand your frustration as well. It’s sad when I think the private school option is the only good solution right now.

How did he get kicked out of old school and my guess is he is a frequent flyer. I understand your frustration as well. It’s sad when I think the private school option is the only good solution right now.

Did he get kicked out? I didn’t see that but certainly could have missed it. I just read he is new to the school he is at.

You are 100% correct on the frequent flyer thing.

I’m actually retired, just a few years back though.

Did he get kicked out? I didn’t see that but certainly could have missed it. I just read he is new to the school he is at.

You are 100% correct on the frequent flyer thing.

I’m actually retired, just a few years back though.
Hasn’t.t been revealed, but based on the behavior, I think my assumption is accurate.

Reactions: WSC72
WTF?! Sounds like your administration is spineless. The ONLY possible justification would be if the student is doing this specifically to AVOID class. But in that case, an administrator should be their shadow that day.

Reactions: HawkMD
My school district revealed at a school board meeting they are at capacity for IEP students. All new student seem to have IEP and you know some current students will have IEP. Seems like great foresight by our admin and completely opening their liability by stating it publicly.

This is also what many of us said when it came to Portland, Minneapolis, DC, Seattle, Baltimore and many other places that got destroyed over an entire summer with little to no accountability for the criminals who didn’t damage.

Reactions: Chuck C
A student tore up my daughters binder and threw it in the dirt. What should I do?
You go to that kid’s house and have a talk with the parents and tell them they owe you the money for it. And if she does something like that again, you tell them that you are going to allow your kid to kick the crap out of their kid, then you are going to go to their house and kick the crap out of the Father if he allows it to happen again. I always say someone deserves and someone is gonna get an a$$ whoopin.

You didn’t answer the questions. I’m not asking for the why of the behavior. I want to know why districts allow this violent behavior. Do you have an answer for that? It is unacceptable. It wasn’t a thing 10-15 years ago. It’s just one more behavior that districts do nothing about. Again…why the hell?
That part isn't true. I work in higher ed now and decades ago we had a student who in his plan could basically do what he wanted and their wasn't anything I could do about it. There are differences in schools, but ultimately they have to follow the plan (which can be revised). School though notoriously don't follow simply and good plans to the detriment of the student.

I had an eraser thrown at me. He walked out of class and out of the school. It was neverending. The admin was an activist leftist. The next school I was at had a far right admin. I hated that as he bullied my students. The next school which was the biggest had good balance.

Think about how we all get along here with different opinions. There are more activist leftist types than right, but it is on both sides.

One of my daughters who formerly lived in trauma had a chair thrown over her head by a student with special needs. I called told the admin about my state's law (law enforcement should be notified) and the student was removed from the mainstream school.

What do you think the results will be with mandates for the Dept of Ed upcoming if Harris wins...or Trump. We are screwed.

For those asking this was a white student, not that it matters in an affluent school district. Median fam income is 160k

Hasn’t.t been revealed, but based on the behavior, I think my assumption is accurate.
He didn’t get kicked out of the previous school. The other kid who we can’t ask to do anything has been booted out of 2 other schools. We have been told he will not be moved out of ours. Pure trash parents and most of their kids are delinquents. He isn’t getting an education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT