ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano to Iowa State?

Uuummmm, yeah. Is it a business? Most things these days are pretty loosy goosy, so most likely defining such things is a fools errand.

Recruit: "Do they have cash? Yep. Can I have some of it? Sure". And away we go.
Does it have to be a business? Can’t any entity or person offer a NIL contract?

NLWC is not part of the university
I get that. Going back to the original post about Willies show it said PSU does not talk NIL with recruits. I was asking if that was high school recruits only or transfer recruits as well because I know they did offer NIL money to Suriano. I’m not talking legalities because I don’t really understand everything with NIL.

Edit to add: I’m calling into question the validity of the statement from Willies show, nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
I think NLWC can offer $$$ to high school or transfers. I don’t know for sure or agree.

whether they do, I have no idea

I think NLWC can offer $$$ to high school or transfers. I don’t know for sure or agree.

whether they do, I have no idea
Penn State Willie, like Flo, refuses to touch the Snyder $$$ thing. Evidently RTCs can offer obscene money to recruit transfers and it is not worth discussing.

Reactions: chuck285
Does it have to be a business? Can’t any entity or person offer a NIL contract?
No idea, but I presume that is the "intent". Remember Football guys being paid for summer jobs, but they "forgot" to actually show up, and low and behold they still got paid. Shocking I know.

They always try to legislate sleaziness, but it still is rampant, IMO. Some will do anything for a buck (and the least they can do to get it is preferable). Some are in prison, some aren't.

So there is at least some "intent" that they have to actually do something to earn that NIL money, otherwise you have a Phil Knight (Nike) that just gives every recruit half a million dollars and his Accountant doesn't bat an eye or know it's missing.

What is stopping me being a gajillionaire and a major fan of a certain schools athletic program, from contacting without said school knowing an athlete that is mega recruit or possible transfer and offering some really good NIL STUFF?

I'd love to know where a down and nearly out wrestling school like ISU could come up with big $$$ guys to fund a NIL?

Sukup? Albaugh? Rich Fort Dodge guy?

I'd love to know where a down and nearly out wrestling school like ISU could come up with big $$$ guys to fund a NIL?

Sukup? Albaugh? Rich Fort Dodge guy?
I heard he’s holding out for a private locker room and personal coaches…

But you didn’t hear that from me.

listening to Willie's show and they're talking NIL stuff. Apparently, parents have reached out to say that both Iowa and PSU are refusing to talk NIL with recruits while other programs are offering 6 figure deals. Apparently, PSU has lost a couple recruits because of it. I'm wondering if Iowa has lost any too. Dresser has apparently offered Suriano 150k.
I think this is false

A wrestler. Not necessarily associated to Iowa State.

Mendez was rumored to be offered $80000 from Indiana & he just verballed. Did he get $100,000 from Ohio State? No idea

Penn State Willie, like Flo, refuses to touch the Snyder $$$ thing. Evidently RTCs can offer obscene money to recruit transfers and it is not worth discussing.
what is there to discuss?

Snyder didn't wrestle for Penn State.

Did NLWC pay snyder? duh. yes. no one disputes that. so what's your point?

And no, RTC's can not offer money to recruits or transfers. it's almost like you think Kyle Snyder wrestled for Penn State. please tell me that's not the case.

And no, RTC's can not offer money to recruits or transfers. it's almost like you think Kyle Snyder wrestled for Penn State. please tell me that's not the case.
exactly, why wouldn’t a wrestling club offer snyder a ton of money?

exactly, why wouldn’t a wrestling club offer snyder a ton of money?
I would never go to an employer who offered me an obscene amount of money! It’s unseemly. :rolleyes:

Jammenz has his moments (e.g. when he rails on freestyle), but he’s missing the mark here.

That said, this NIL stuff has indeed turned into a cluster****. I’m glad Corby and Willie went into in depth.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Wink8 and smalls103
At least John Smith agrees with me. RTCs do influence the college recruiting landscape. No one can disagree with that. I'm against letting the biggest RTC bankrolls undermine the competitiveness of college wrestling.

Willie, my point is that all media outlets, including you, did downplay the money. You all claimed that he transferred because he wanted to "get better". Really? He already had an Olympic gold, two world golds, a silver and bronze. I just wish that someone in the media would have reported that he got a financial offer that he couldn't refuse.

I have nothing against Kyle Snyder, although he did say he that he went to the NLWC because God told him to. I've called Cael a lot of things but never that.

Last edited:
At least John Smith agrees with me. RTCs do influence the college recruiting landscape. No one can disagree with that. I'm against letting the biggest RTC biggest bankrolls undermine the competitiveness of college wrestling.

Willie, my point is that all media outlets, including you, did downplay the money. You all claimed that he transferred because he wanted to "get better". Really? He already had an Olympic gold, two world golds, a silver and bronze. I just wish that someone in the media would have reported that he got a financial offer that he couldn't refuse.

I have nothing against Kyle Snyder, although he did say he that he went to the NLWC because God told him to. I've called Cael a lot of things but never that.
Look at you? Getting all reasonable and stuff.

I hope you know this meathead doesn’t belong in the cesspool. He’s a Gopher/Husker fan.

At least John Smith agrees with me. RTCs do influence the college recruiting landscape. No one can disagree with that. I'm against letting the biggest RTC bankrolls undermine the competitiveness of college wrestling.

i still don't understand your angst.

even if NLWC paid Snyder a gazillion (of Grips money) to wrestle there, it's totally legal. it was their choice, and kyle's choice.

if you think Kyle left because of money, you're loonier than i thought.

you're free to hate penn state for whatever reason/s you want, but this topic aint one

i still don't understand your angst.

even if NLWC paid Snyder a gazillion (of Grips money) to wrestle there, it's totally legal. it was their choice, and kyle's choice.

if you think Kyle left because of money, you're loonier than i thought.

you're free to hate penn state for whatever reason/s you want, but this topic aint one
Im working on the first gazillion as we speak, but You know not red cent would be going towards the NLWC. Lol

Hey jamming, do you realize that Minnesota hasn't defeated Penn State in a dual since 2015?

Not to mention the fact that Minnesota scored fewer points in the last 4 years combined against Iowa than Iowa scored in the last dual alone against Minnesota. But to be fair, if you extend that points total to the last 5 years, they would have outscored last year's Iowa team by 2. Outscored 145-37 since Eggum took over. They should give that guy another contract extension.

Not to mention the fact that Minnesota scored fewer points in the last 4 years combined against Iowa than Iowa scored in the last dual alone against Minnesota. But to be fair, if you extend that points total to the last 5 years, they would have outscored last year's Iowa team by 2. Outscored 145-37 since Eggum took over. They should give that guy another contract extension.
Minnesota wrestling is just like every other sport up there. The AD doesn't really care if they have a winning program, he just wants a program free from some sort of scandal that has plagued the Gophs for the last several decades.

The Gophs are only SLIGHTLY behind MSU/PSU in that regard. Eggum sold out a few wrestlers to get the HC gig. I guess that's all that was needed.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT