ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano to Rutgers?

I heard from a pretty good source that Cael alone is keeping cable television alive. The number 83 was shared, though I don't remember if it was that Cael watches 83% of all available cable channels or if he spend 83 minutes on each cable channel each week. Either way, he can make the viewing of such channels like CNN, QVC, CSPAN....fun.

I heard from a pretty good source that Cael alone is keeping cable television alive. The number 83 was shared, though I don't remember if it was that Cael watches 83% of all available cable channels or if he spend 83 minutes on each cable channel each week. Either way, he can make the viewing of such channels like CNN, QVC, CSPAN....fun.

Ummm... the rule.... 'f**'

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Flo is a clown show. Wannabe journalists who fall back from that label when it suits them. Broadcasts that fail to launch REPEATEDLY. A back office that can't spell customer service. Yet many here and elsewhere are saying that Flo will help save wrestling. Save it from what, a future existence? Flo is NOT in business to help save wrestling. They are in business to make money. Whether that harms or helps wrestling is immaterial to their business plan.

Flo is a clown show. Wannabe journalists who fall back from that label when it suits them. Broadcasts that fail to launch REPEATEDLY. A back office that can't spell customer service. Yet many here and elsewhere are saying that Flo will help save wrestling. Save it from what, a future existence? Flo is NOT in business to help save wrestling. They are in business to make money. Whether that harms or helps wrestling is immaterial to their business plan.

Do you feel that their missteps are intentional or done for a lack of caring? I don't know their history, their funding, skills or lack thereof. I do chuckle at their inability to recognize how their approach could seem to be biased. I enjoy smalls coming over here and defending their approach and his use of sarcasm. He doesn't seem to want to answer questions that may indicate that they approach is selective.

Do you feel that their missteps are intentional or done for a lack of caring? I don't know their history, their funding, skills or lack thereof. I do chuckle at their inability to recognize how their approach could seem to be biased. I enjoy smalls coming over here and defending their approach and his use of sarcasm. He doesn't seem to want to answer questions that may indicate that they approach is selective.
Intentional? No. I consult with companies on strategic and organizational planning, and Flo's problem is common. From a great distance, my spitball is that the CEO is the problem. Lack of leadership at the top drives every one of the problems that have been identified with Flo. Most company failures like this start at the top. Just because one has an idea doesn't make them suitable to manage its development. In fact, the opposite is often true. We all have different skill sets.

Gotta say I love Flo and think it's great for the sport. Do CP and Willie blur the lines between being journalists and sports promoters? Sure. I can live with that. Is there some content on Flo I could do without? Affirmative. (See, e.g., Askren's rant against Iowa two years back). But the coverage, poor video feed or not, is tremendous. I did not grow up in one of the country's hotbeds of wrestling, and my only access to collegiate wrestling as a youth was watching Lehigh on a public access channel on Saturdays. We've come a long way.

Gotta say I love Flo and think it's great for the sport. Do CP and Willie blur the lines between being journalists and sports promoters? Sure. I can live with that. Is there some content on Flo I could do without? Affirmative. (See, e.g., Askren's rant against Iowa two years back). But the coverage, poor video feed or not, is tremendous. I did not grow up in one of the country's hotbeds of wrestling, and my only access to collegiate wrestling as a youth was watching Lehigh on a public access channel on Saturdays. We've come a long way.

Reminds me of a story...In Korea, there was always a "Big Red" on base. Big Red is usually an overweight red headed gal that got a lot of play from the fellas because the guy to gal ratio is 8 to 1 among Americans. So Big Red is a popular gal and it's not unusual to see her (or any other gal for that matter) walking with a pack of 4-6 dudes, all clamoring for her attentions. Newbies often note this and wonder what the hell? After a few months though, Big Red looks good to them too.

Like you said Gus, we wondered around in the desert for so long that even Big Red looks good to us. Shoddy streams, a trend of crappy customer service, and "journalists" that tend to bring the smug...all complaints that I have heard over the years on a consistent basis. No matter, we finally have coverage!! Doesn't matter if they still have the same problems that they did three years ago. We have lower standards because we are wrestling fans. They have us and they know it.

Reminds me of a story...In Korea, there was always a "Big Red" on base. Big Red is usually an overweight red headed gal that got a lot of play from the fellas because the guy to gal ratio is 8 to 1 among Americans. So Big Red is a popular gal and it's not unusual to see her (or any other gal for that matter) walking with a pack of 4-6 dudes, all clamoring for her attentions. Newbies often note this and wonder what the hell? After a few months though, Big Red looks good to them too.

Like you said Gus, we wondered around in the desert for so long that even Big Red looks good to us. Shoddy streams, a trend of crappy customer service, and "journalists" that tend to bring the smug...all complaints that I have heard over the years on a consistent basis. No matter, we finally have coverage!! Doesn't matter if they still have the same problems that they did three years ago. We have lower standards because we are wrestling fans. They have us and they know it.
Chief - I never saw Big Red at Kunsan, not sure where you're getting your info ;)

Love the Big Red analogy, Chief.

The premise for the Big Red moniker reminded me of one of my little brother's teammates back in the day. He was annointed Big Red in 6th grade when a couple of visiting coaches from a neighboring school district were invited to run a joint practice (the multiple junior highs merge come high school, so we're really one big district in the end). They were picking guys out one-by-one and dividing them up into teams for a relay competition, and they didn't know my brother's teammate's name. So they said "You, Big Red, you go over to that line," and the rest was history. We called him Big Red forever.

The kid was something like 4'6" and 180 lbs . . . and a redhead.

Reactions: IAChief32
Chief - I never saw Big Red at Kunsan, not sure where you're getting your info ;)

Hehe...I was a two time loser to the Kun, 95-96, 02-03. The Kunsan queens were something to behold. My buddies used to hang out with one gal that looked a bit Jan Brady but had a big f-ing mole spot center on her forehead. One of those that when she's talking, you are watching it move right above sight line . She was kind of a douche as well but it didn't matter....never had to buy a drink the whole tour.

Hehe...I was a two time loser to the Kun, 95-96, 02-03. The Kunsan queens were something to behold. My buddies used to hang out with one gal that looked a bit Jan Brady but had a big f-ing mole spot center on her forehead. One of those that when she's talking, you are watching it move right above sight line . She was kind of a douche as well but it didn't matter....never had to buy a drink the whole tour.
We just missed each other. I was there in 04-05. I went to the CGO dorms ONCE for official purposes. I never went back because I didn't want to see or hear anything that couldn't be unseen or unheard.

I'm always curious if Flo individual sports share the same servers? During weekends with multiple large scale events their feed seems to be interrupted more often then not. At other time w less events feed is flawless.

I'm all for FloSports in general. The wrestling content they deliver/produce is second to none. I also use FloTrack from time to time. Good and bad with Flo, but the last time I checked Flo is a for profit company. First priority will always be the dollar.

let me see if I follow the logic.....Willie = Big Red? ;)

Reactions: IAChief32
Some of you guys are being overly harsh on Flo at the moment imo. Yes, in the past they've certainly done things warranting harsh criticism (the Gilman midlands video, the stream failures (especially PSU vs. Okie State), some of their commentary, etc).

However, if anyone watched the recent WTT on Flo (which I believe is the most recent event they've broadcasted), it's very apparent that they put significant effort into improving the stream/broadcast. The WTT streaming was fantastic. High quality streams, no lag or connection issues, excellent camera angles and instant replay use. So it doesn't make sense to continue to bring up their streaming flaws when it's very clear that they've put the effort in to fixing the previous issues and improving in that area. Now if it happens again where there are issues with the video feed or broadcast, then ofc feel free to bash them and criticize them again at that time. But, I don't see how it does any good to condemn them, when there most recent event was excellent.

As far as the bias claims go - I believe flo (or certain employees at flo) do or at least did have some bias, but now since they've been called on it so often, it appears they do put effort into providing a neutral perspective and neutral coverage.

Some of you post as if you expect them to be cspan. We're talking the sports entertainment news industry. I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with the modern day news industry, but it runs entirely on ratings/clicks/$$. Has anyone seen ESPN in the past 5 years? Every single show on ESPN is about creating controversy and presenting a controversial perspective on a situation. No one is making you listen to their podcasts. CP and Willie are not purely journalists. They are also pundits. They have the right to voice their subjective opinions.

They do put out a lot of worthwhile free content as well. All of their recent coverage in Carver was excellent. Lots of good interviews and footage. They paid to fly (presumably fly and not drive) to Iowa City, spend an entire day getting interviews, footage, etc. And all of that was posted for people to view for free online.

I actually think Flo has done much more good for Iowa than bad. They've put the footage out there that shows what Tom and Terry are actually like. Do you think Tom and Terry would be posting these videos to their twitter accounts? Flo puts the camera on them and gives them an opportunity to show their character. Flo did the documentary on Terry, the documentary on Dan Dennis, the long interview with Spencer Lee. If flo isn't there to put out the footage in Carver showing what a practice at Iowa is like, what Clark, McDonough, Dennis are like...that footage wouldn't be on the internet. Most Iowa wrestlers are not self promoters. Gilman doesn't use social media at all. Flo gives them the outlet to present Iowa in a good light. If not for this, people still might be regurgitating that bullshit that all Iowa wrestlers are robots and Brands drives them to burn-out. Remember when everyone was saying that a few years ago? Haven't heard those type of comments in awhile.

Relax a bit - criticize when criticism is warranted. Give credit when credit is due.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mention anything when I first heard it, but this now the 3rd time I've heard this was a possibility... The first time these rumors surfaced my guy had him transferring to none other than Iowa City. Iowa was Nicks first choice, but the distance was too much for his family.

Be very interesting to see how this plays out.
Does your guy still think Iowa, Rutgers or staying at PSU?

Flo did a good job with the WTT. Whether they are good for wrestling in general is questionable.

Flo is good for diehard wrestling fans that want to see more wrestling and are willing to pay for it. However, they cover events (like the WTT finals) that may have been played on ESPN or NBC sports and make fans pay to watch it. So they have taken that event away from non-diehard wrestling fans that may have been able to watch it. So is that helping the sport of wrestling gain popularity or not?

Flo did a good job with the WTT. Whether they are good for wrestling in general is questionable.

Flo is good for diehard wrestling fans that want to see more wrestling and are willing to pay for it. However, they cover events (like the WTT finals) that may have been played on ESPN or NBC sports and make fans pay to watch it. So they have taken that event away from non-diehard wrestling fans that may have been able to watch it. So is that helping the sport of wrestling gain popularity or not?

Those networks really aren't picking up these events. And I'm not a big Flo fan.

Exactly. The best we would be looking at is partial coverage by NBC Sports who would show a couple matches and not market it at all. Flo is a much better alternative.

No, Flo is the best commercial product out there. If not for Flo's exclusives, I'm guessing we'd be able to catch most wrestling events live streamed for a nominal fee or even free due to todays technology and camera obsessive fans.

Hey IAChief, this hit both ways. I remember being on my green-bean in the clubs at Osan and seeing guys panting over Big Blonde (we didn't have a Big Red) and wondering how that is happening. But on the other hand you had the bar girls panting over guys that had outkicked their coverage big-time. I also remember a club at Camp Red Cloud called the Red Head Club...a site to see. I will get back to Korea someday to see how it has changed.

Hey IAChief, this hit both ways. I remember being on my green-bean in the clubs at Osan and seeing guys panting over Big Blonde (we didn't have a Big Red) and wondering how that is happening. But on the other hand you had the bar girls panting over guys that had outkicked their coverage big-time. I also remember a club at Camp Red Cloud called the Red Head Club...a site to see. I will get back to Korea someday to see how it has changed.

Good stuff Gator

Don't see it, why would you want to give up a year of eligibility?
There are always roadblocks to transferring, and that's why it's always my assumption that it's not going to happen. In this instance, I was extremely skeptical at first, but I am starting to believe that it just might happen. Several credible people with interesting tidbits on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT