ADVERTISEMENT

SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Explains why they Currently are Unable to Support the Men's Basketball Program like they Need To

Students are coming to a school because of jocks? You got any actual data on this?

I'm not sure why you want to pick an argument on this.

I grew up an Iowa fan. There was one place I was going to go for college. Almost everyone in my family the same. All of us doing the jobs we want with majors available. Tons of my friends were the same. All of us diehard fans.

I grew up an Iowa fan. There was one place I was going to go for college. Almost everyone in my family the same. All of us doing the jobs we want with majors available. Tons of my friends were the same. All of us diehard fans.
You are correct. Successful athletic programs influence enrollment. It’s been proven.

I guess I didn't choose a school like you did but maybe you have a point. I just don't think most parents send kids to a school because a particular jock is there. Mostly, it's about academic opportunities and cost.

Reactions: doughuddl2
I guess I didn't choose a school like you did but maybe you have a point. I just don't think most parents send kids to a school because a particular jock is there. Mostly, it's about academic opportunities and cost.

All in state tuition. Many people I met at school from Iowa were the same. I was surprised how many from out of state were that way as well. Having a parent alum and growing up watching the games seem to have a huge impact.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The ncaa is at the end of its life span.

They've basically just stopped trying because there's nothing they can do but hang on for a while longer and keep cashing checks.

There's too much money involved for the schools to tolerate enforcement.
NCAA probably should have ended at least a decade ago. Certain mega conferences will now call of the shots, like the SEC and B1G in FB.

Serious question, who is bankrolling ISU? I’ve heard their NL is bottom 10% in power five

Iowa State basketball has a billionaire sugar daddy at their disposal.

This was from his luxury suite at the Kentucky Derby last year.

FveY5L1WAAAH1rY

Pete is a College Sports Business & Transfer Portal Reporter for On3 Sports.

As you can see, $200,000 is the the starting point in negotiations for an elite point guard.

Unfortunately, so far, all of the big time SWARM NIL deals have gone to Iowa football players.

Well, this just sucks. Give Fran some credit on how his teams have held up in times of NIL. Hopefully we don't continue slipping though...

Reactions: Franisdaman
hate to say it, but when Tony said he's keeping his options open for next year, I think that means he will be listening to what other schools' NIL Collectives have to offer
I think keeping Tony might end up being Iowa's best use of any NIL money Fran has to work with. If Bowen also returns, I would look for a solid center, if he can find one better than Brauns or Mulvey, which is not a high bar. Another guard will be critical if Tony doesn't come back, and would be a really good idea even if only Bowen leaves.

Well, this just sucks. Give Fran some credit on how his teams have held up in times of NIL. Hopefully we don't continue slipping though...

another thought:

I am guessing that Iowa will be getting around $20 million more from TV next year. Could Beth ask current big time UI donors to redirect their donations to SWARM?

Pete is a College Sports Business & Transfer Portal Reporter for On3 Sports.

As you can see, $200,000 is the the starting point in negotiations for an elite point guard.

Unfortunately, so far, all of the big time SWARM NIL deals have gone to Iowa football players.

As much as I like Iowa football, I've always been an Iowa hoops fan at heart. It stinks that the basketball program isn't getting the support it needs. It's unfortunate, especially since with basketball, it seems like a couple of top players being on the court could really make a big difference. Football, obviously, takes more volume.

I'm hoping that Beth can figure out how to get more money funneled to SWARM, as you mentioned.

I feel NIL is the ruination of collegiate sports and there will be a dozen elite programs and a bunch of nobodys that will never beat the elite teams. Recruiting will be cut way back until the scraps are left. Really a travesty for collegiate sports. Oh and Iowa will be one of the nobodys.

Reactions: amahawk
hate to say it, but when Tony said he's keeping his options open for next year, I think that means he will be listening to what other schools' NIL Collectives have to offer

How much do Iowa BBall players receive now?

another thought:

I am guessing that Iowa will be getting around $20 million more from TV next year. Could Beth ask current big time UI donors to redirect their donations to SWARM?

Yeah instead of seat donations to the IClub, give that to Swarm donations. But I’m guessing no one will want to rob Peter to give to Paul. They’ll expect us to just give to Peter and Paul, probably Mary too.

Yeah instead of seat donations to the IClub, give that to Swarm donations. But I’m guessing no one will want to rob Peter to give to Paul. They’ll expect us to just give to Peter and Paul, probably Mary too.
F Pay for Play, man.

Really.

Reactions: peacehawk
How much do Iowa BBall players receive now?

Exactly. The Athletic recently ran an article on donor fatigue which had fan quotes saying the same thing. Schools are getting record TV deals. Pay the players yourselves and stop asking us fans for more and more.

Exactly. The Athletic recently ran an article on donor fatigue which had fan quotes saying the same thing. Schools are getting record TV deals. Pay the players yourselves and stop asking us fans for more and more.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if they need more funds, can't they get creative and run some fundraisers to raise cash? Something besides just passing around the collection plate and asking people to drink more swarm beer, I mean.

I don't have a problem with them asking for donations (that's cool) but are fan donations are going to cut it , in the grand scheme of things? How far is $1000-2000 annually from some of us really going to go?

All that said, I've not seen any actual figures as to what they're bringing in compared to what is really needed. Apologies if it's mentioned already. I haven't read the entire thread.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if they need more funds, can't they get creative and run some fundraisers to raise cash? Something besides just passing around the collection plate and asking people to drink more swarm beer, I mean.

I don't have a problem with them asking for donations (that's cool) but are fan donations are going to cut it , in the grand scheme of things? How far is $1000-2000 annually from some of us really going to go?

All that said, I've not seen any actual figures as to what they're bringing in compared to what is really needed. Apologies if it's mentioned already. I haven't read the entire thread.
A Go Fund Me campaign for a new PG sounds good to me, I’d throw in some cabbage.😎

I agree, telling people to drink more Swarm Beer or Vodka is not going to move the needle for our Hoops Program….😢

Reactions: Mohawkeye

I will give Brad at the Swarm credit, I think he’s tried to be creative to raise funds beyond just asking for monthly / annual donations. The beer / vodka was creative. They’ve had golf outings and other experiences like a suite and meet and greet watching K. Murray and the Kings play. I’m glad someone like Brad is putting in the effort. On the small fan donations, I believe the thought was that Iowa doesn’t have a ton of massive donors for sports so if we wanted to compete, we’d need to rely on having a lot of fans donate a little since we don’t have many mega-donors.

My frustration is with the athletic directors, university presidents, conference commissioners and NCAA. The schools and conferences have done all they can to create more money via realignment and TV deals but seem to put in no effort to find a solution to pay the players themselves. I realize there are complications with employment law, Title IX, etc. but if these collectives can navigate rules with a tiny staff, the universities could easily navigate any laws and come up with rules. The reality is that they just don’t seem to want to as they are perfectly content to have fans dip further into our pockets to fund another item. Feels like universities are fat cats that are able to live off our loving our teams and people’s nostalgia for the times they enjoyed at their alma mater to get way more money than their business model would otherwise ever get.

SIAP I don't have time to go through the thread, so it sounds like Iowa Basketball who hasn't been relevant in March Madness for 30 years pre-NIL, now has basically no prayer of keeping up with programs with big NIL donor basketball dollars!!?? I hope we can stay strong in football then.....

SIAP I don't have time to go through the thread, so it sounds like Iowa Basketball who hasn't been relevant in March Madness for 30 years pre-NIL, now has basically no prayer of keeping up with programs with big NIL donor basketball dollars!!?? I hope we can stay strong in football then.....

Imagine if MBB had this kind of support/backing.

We could compete in the portal for players; we'd be able to retain players.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Fran blew the last few years playing his sons. Not many want to contribute money to a guy who put them over the programs best interest. It doesn't mater if he takes us to the Sweet 16 ever. His time needs to be over but he's such an average coach that no decent program will hire him. He would've left a few years ago had any decent school wanted him. He's a psycho on the sideline and wasted some NBA talent. It's amazing he got any transfers since his kids were guaranteed 25% of the minutes.

A Go Fund Me campaign for a new PG sounds good to me, I’d throw in some cabbage.😎

I agree, telling people to drink more Swarm Beer or Vodka is not going to move the needle for our Hoops Program….😢
Fran has a history of sitting our best point guards. At least we had Conner who could play the 1-5 somehow even though he couldn't run, jump, shoot, rebound, or defend but his intangibles allowed him to play all 5 positions at an All Big Ten level.

The biggest problem is the useless Tavern Hawks. That just sit and complain about everything while drinking their cheap Busch Light. Acting like they’re apart of team. When all they have done is brought a cheap unlicensed Iowa shirt.

Reactions: packerHawk76
Fran blew the last few years playing his sons. Not many want to contribute money to a guy who put them over the programs best interest. It doesn't mater if he takes us to the Sweet 16 ever. His time needs to be over but he's such an average coach that no decent program will hire him. He would've left a few years ago had any decent school wanted him. He's a psycho on the sideline and wasted some NBA talent. It's amazing he got any transfers since his kids were guaranteed 25% of the minutes.
My worry is that within the next 1-3 years he lands favorable first round bracket (see Illini) and manages to make the Sweet 16 (then proceed to get blown out like the Oregon game), because then we are for sure looking at a long term stay by Fran. Luckily, that knucklehead Barta is gone, otherwise Fran would then be getting a lifetime contact ala Bill Self.....

I know many posters like to point to Lisa Bluder and say we have to be patient, but if Fran did nothing with two NBA bound twins on his roster - what more should we wish for? Triplets!!?!? LOL

Is it ok to stop blaming his kids for all that ails the Iowa basketball program? They’re gone now. They can’t hurt you anymore.

My worry is that within the next 1-3 years he lands favorable first round bracket (see Illini) and manages to make the Sweet 16 (then proceed to get blown out like the Oregon game), because then we are for sure looking at a long term stay by Fran. Luckily, that knucklehead Barta is gone, otherwise Fran would then be getting a lifetime contact ala Bill Self.....

I know many posters like to point to Lisa Bluder and say we have to be patient, but if Fran did nothing with two NBA bound twins on his roster - what more should we wish for? Triplets!!?!? LOL
A valid concern and why I don't think he should get any extensions barring a couple sweet 16's and an elite 8 or better over the next 4 years. It's crazy how his average coaching career at Iowa gave such job security. The best indicator of how good a coach is would be what other teams would hire him. There aren't any looking to hire him and that's been the case for many years. Otherwise he would be gone due to the obvious hate Marge has for the community.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
They've never hurt me. Sorry you are too busy rubbing Frans nuts to realize the truth the whole truth or you no shit about basketball.
Nah. I’ve made it clear that where I stand on Fran. It’s time to move on but bringing up his kids every 5 minutes, blaming them for the lack of success of their father, is old and tiresome. Hell, Logic turned it into a drinking game of sorts.

Fran’s biggest failing, which lead to his 2nd biggest failing, lack of post season success, was his inability to recruit and develop guards. Which was quite shocking to me since that lead to his upset win over OSU in the tourney many years ago at Siena.

Reactions: iahawks10
Nah. I’ve made it clear that where I stand on Fran. It’s time to move on but bringing up his kids every 5 minutes, blaming them for the lack of success of their father, is old and tiresome. Hell, Logic turned it into a drinking game of sorts.

Fran’s biggest failing, which lead to his 2nd biggest failing, lack of post season success, was his inability to recruit and develop guards. Which was quite shocking to me since that lead to his upset win over OSU in the tourney many years ago at Siena.
I rarely bring up his kids or even go after him since I've made my feelings clear. However it seems every day over the last few weeks posters are having Conner amnesia due to how bad Patrick was this year. I'm seeing post after post of how he was good for the team. His only attrubutes were he gave good effort and was tough. He sucked at actual basketball. Patrick would be a lot better player if he gave the same effort so there's that. His biggest failing imo was to no bench Conner and get a stud guard to go with Garza and the Murrays. He wasted a final four type team by playing his sons. That turns a lot of fans away regardless if he finaly slops into a few NCAA wins.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I rarely bring up his kids or even go after him since I've made my feelings clear. However it seems every day over the last few weeks posters are having Conner amnesia due to how bad Patrick was this year. I'm seeing post after post of how he was good for the team. His only attrubutes were he gave good effort and was tough. He sucked at actual basketball. Patrick would be a lot better player if he gave the same effort so there's that. His biggest failing imo was to no bench Conner and get a stud guard to go with Garza and the Murrays. He wasted a final four type team by playing his sons. That turns a lot of fans away regardless if he finaly slops into a few NCAA wins.
So you’re saying his biggest failing was not recruiting and developing a good lead guard? Yeah, that’s what I said. It appears we agree more than we disagree.

The ball rubbing comments were unnecessary but I know those type of comments come from frustration. Let’s let bygones be bygones on this fabulous Easter Day, brother. Take care

Reactions: hoythawk
So you’re saying his biggest failing was not recruiting and developing a good lead guard? Yeah, that’s what I said. It appears we agree more than we disagree.

The ball rubbing comments were unnecessary but I know those type of comments come from frustration. Let’s let bygones be bygones on this fabulous Easter Day, brother. Take care
Very uncalled for. My apologies. I don't know that you can find a negative post from me on Patrick. I'm not a Patrick hater. Have a happy Easter!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT