ADVERTISEMENT

SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Explains why they Currently are Unable to Support the Men's Basketball Program like they Need To

That will depend on if Exile and their chosen distributors have the ability/desire to distribute out of state. No idea if they currently distribute out of state. At least in central and Western Iowa, the AB distributor handles Exile.

I have no idea the process to gain rights to distribute out of state, but it can’t be too challenging, as I know Millstream has distribution in the Twin Cities.
Correct. I spoke with my local Hy-Vee liquor store manager up here in the Twin Cities. He knew all about it as he’s also from Iowa and a big Hawk fan too and has had multiple people ask him about it. He said he’ll carry it if Exile establishes a distributor relationship in MN. He thought it was unlikely that would occur though. He suggested contacting Exile directly to see if they could establish a MN distributor.

He said the only out-of-state market currently carrying Exile for Hy-Vee is Omaha and that’s because Exile has an out-of-state distributor in NE that carries it so it’s possible.

Reactions: bdg8
Perkins looks the part, wonder if he can play

Any idea who some of these folks are? Hope they're loaded! ;)

F0XYjikWwAAOKHZ

F0XYjhEWcAAD_EF

F0XYjekXwAAQJo7

F0XYjiWWYAIIFHh

Reactions: icwesthawk
Can someone get Nimmers some golf shorts, sheesh. Looks like he's playing in sweats in July

Here is the SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs Interview.

He says they need 10,000 or more paying members; they are at just 1,800.

He said they called women basketball prospects who were in the transfer portal but he didn't get any call backs.

1800 members is a shocking low number to me. It makes me question whether fans want the program to succeed. Yes I am a member

Reactions: Franisdaman
1800 members is a shocking low number to me. It makes me question whether fans want the program to succeed. Yes I am a member
You would be surprised how many fans still don't know about the Swarm. Rememeber the Univ has done very little to promote it. Sure those of us on message boards know about it, but in truth, most fans don't post on these boards.

Hopefully, the new beer will help get the word out. AS people see and hear about the beer maybe more will join The Swarm.

We sometimes forget that message board posters are in reality a small per centage of total fans. :(

It makes ME think about my priorities in life.

Do I:

A) allow more money for retirement, life enjoyment, or expenses.

B) donate money to an ideology I absolutely disagree with

Hmm.
Tough choice.

If Iowa is to succeed, then succeed upon hard work and merit.

I respect your choice to give, Iwill just never agree with P4P.

Last edited:
With Lisa’s recent success that surprises me
It shouldn’t, Iowa has a lot to overcome with regard to recruiting and has long struggled to attract elite kids, it’s been discussed a lot in the various WBB threads. Things are looking up for future classes though (and Bluder is aiming high!) but there’s just a lot of hurdles. Another Final Four would go a long way IMO.

It shouldn’t, Iowa has a lot to overcome with regard to recruiting and has long struggled to attract elite kids, it’s been discussed a lot in the various WBB threads. Things are looking up for future classes though (and Bluder is aiming high!) but there’s just a lot of hurdles. Another Final Four would go a long way IMO.
My take is that the Iowa culture is not for everyone. You are expected above all to be a great teammate. No prima donnas. Sharing the ball is celebrated. Every team member is valued. You will be a student-athlete. Dean's list is minimum. Hard majors are encouraged. You will spend a lot of time volunteering in the community.

My take is that the Iowa culture is not for everyone. You are expected above all to be a great teammate. No prima donnas. Sharing the ball is celebrated. Every team member is valued. You will be a student-athlete. Dean's list is minimum. Hard majors are encouraged. You will spend a lot of time volunteering in the community.
Sure, that’s a nice way of looking at it.

Maybe we can buy ourselves some basketball prospects now....

Alcohol Donations to SWARM:

BEER (Exile Brewing, Des Moines)
$30,000 First Donation, reported July 12, 2023
$58,500 July, 2023 Donation, reported Aug 1, 2023
$88,500 Donated to SWARM So Far
===============

VODKA (Foundry Distilling Co., West Des Moines)
$7,247 (July 21, 2023, Initial Royalty Check, after 1st week)
$7,247 Donated to SWARM So Far
===============

Last edited:
Fran has embraced SWARM but there's only so much money to go around & SWARM clearly earmarked a lot of their resources for the haul of football transfers that they brought in.

As a result, Iowa men's basketball is having a hard time competing against "basketball schools" and against schools that don't have a football program (where collectives spend more or all on basketball).

Fran gets criticized a lot for not landing highly rated prospects but the lack of money that the SWARM can offer has made his job that much harder.

We have former players making big money because of Iowa. Can they contribute and have NIL spend that towards MBB

We have former players making big money because of Iowa. Can they contribute and have NIL spend that towards MBB

Brad has stated that he can't get former players to contribute to SWARM and the main reason they give is that they never got paid when they were student athletes so they have no desire to give away their money so that current student athletes can get paid.

Reactions: chaneccooms
I think it goes deeper than "I didn't get NIL so I'm not giving to NIL" although that is part of it.

As a former Hawkeye athlete, while I share the above perspective, in my mind there is a bigger question. If a former athlete was in the position to donate a mid 5 figure amount what would make more sense? Giving to NIL to "buy" a player or two that will be on campus for at most 1-3 years or giving to the athletic department that can use that amount to the benefit of all athletes for an extended period of time?

I would rather my contributions go to the larger pool of athletes for a longer period of time, but that is just me. That said, I bought a case of Swarm tallboys yesterday so I am doing my small (very small) part.

Reactions: littlez
“Our ‘salary cap’ wasn’t as good as other people.”

This will be the end of college athletics. There is too much money, between athletic departments, coaches and the NCAA. Players getting paid, at least in this manner, was not the answer, IMHO.

Brad has stated that he can't get former players to contribute to SWARM and the main reason they give is that they never got paid when they were student athletes so they have no desire to give away their money so that current student athletes can get paid.
This. Is. Beautiful.

Reactions: Urohawk
My opinion of SWARM has really soured. Not that it’s Swarm’s fault. I have just come to the opinion that none of these collectives should exist and they are all the problem.

NIL isn’t the issue, it’s crowd funding teams that is the problem. If a player wants to sign a million dollar deal with Nike great…but there shouldn’t be people calling up players in the portal…..that is not what NIL was intended to be.

I think it goes deeper than "I didn't get NIL so I'm not giving to NIL" although that is part of it.

As a former Hawkeye athlete, while I share the above perspective, in my mind there is a bigger question. If a former athlete was in the position to donate a mid 5 figure amount what would make more sense? Giving to NIL to "buy" a player or two that will be on campus for at most 1-3 years or giving to the athletic department that can use that amount to the benefit of all athletes for an extended period of time?

I would rather my contributions go to the larger pool of athletes for a longer period of time, but that is just me. That said, I bought a case of Swarm tallboys yesterday so I am doing my small (very small) part.

Actually, when it comes to former Iowa student athletes who are now VERY RICH, "I didn't get NIL so I'm not giving to NIL" is a big part of why they are not contributing to SWARM.

From Brad Heinrichs, SWARM CEO, on June 24:

The lack of donations from former student-athletes is annoying to me, too….but I’m chalking it up to the fact that they didn’t get paid while at Iowa. I’m hoping that the newest group of pros might be more willing to give back.

So far, no luck.

“Our ‘salary cap’ wasn’t as good as other people.”

This will be the end of college athletics. There is too much money, between athletic departments, coaches and the NCAA. Players getting paid, at least in this manner, was not the answer, IMHO.

To be fair, money has always been the difference between good and great teams.

Now people can just say it out loud.

Actually, when it comes to former Iowa student athletes who are now VERY RICH, "I didn't get NIL so I'm not giving to NIL" is a big part of why they are not contributing to SWARM.

From Brad Heinrichs, SWARM CEO, on June 24:
I agree it is a part and probably a significant part of the reason however Brad's quote doesn't show that he has been told that is the reason, the quote you provided says Brad is "chalking it up to..." not that he has even been told that.

Jealousy is real and I'm sure a lot of former players are looking at it that simply. That said, as we have seen in the past, former athletes are not shy about stepping up when the athletic department has a capital improvement project that needs funding. I think using their donation dollars for a longer, more impactful reason than "buy us a portal center for 2 years" which is where the Swarm Collective is at today.

My opinion of SWARM has really soured. Not that it’s Swarm’s fault. I have just come to the opinion that none of these collectives should exist and they are all the problem.

NIL isn’t the issue, it’s crowd funding teams that is the problem. If a player wants to sign a million dollar deal with Nike great…but there shouldn’t be people calling up players in the portal…..that is not what NIL was intended to be.
Bingo

It is PAY for PLAY.

It has always been PAY for PLAY.

You cannot put lipstick on the pig and call it NIL.

I am guessing Papa Johns can't afford to buy us a 4/5 star stud coming out of high school or out of the transfer portal....
Yeah I'd be curious to know how much they are paying the 6 athletes in the photos for their advertisements. I'm guessing it's not a ton, but having several of these types of sponsorships should add up.

Edit: I'd also add that I'm sure Papa John's would much rather have well known players like the 6 they chose, rather than paying a highly ranked freshman or transfer that most casual fans have not heard of..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT