ADVERTISEMENT

TE Recruiting

There was an interview back a few years ago from the defensive back out of Omaha, Dickerson?, about how he felt pressured to commit, did commit, and then had doubts after returning home.
That's one instance that was made public.
Did your son play for Fleck?
I will say this, regardless of the school or the coaches at the school, recruiting is a bit of a dirty business. There is pressure to commit but largely a factor of where you fit within the food chain. If you are a top 250 kid, schools will allow you to take as much time as you need, the other Plan A kids can take their time (within reason) but ultimately need to make a call before the teams move on to Plan B kids. It is the Plan B kids that in my mind, feel the most pressure to make a decision (simply because schools have more options in this grouping). It becomes a bit of a poker game to determine who is holding the best hand (school or recruit) and this is the part of recruiting that is tough.

One example that my son experienced was that he received a call from an SEC school on a Tuesday, asking him to fly down for the weekend. Given flights were quite expensive and given we already had a trip planned to a Big Ten school he really liked, we suggested coming the following weekend. The school said they would get back to him and that is the last time we corresponded with them as he was essentially ghosted. Obviously he was a Plan B kid and they were seeing who would jump first. The process can be really frustrating.

The portal has changed the landscape of recruiting too so that is why you see so many kids committing earlier in the cycle. Not sure it is the best thing but this is the world we live in.

I will say this, regardless of the school or the coaches at the school, recruiting is a bit of a dirty business. There is pressure to commit but largely a factor of where you fit within the food chain. If you are a top 250 kid, schools will allow you to take as much time as you need, the other Plan A kids can take their time (within reason) but ultimately need to make a call before the teams move on to Plan B kids. It is the Plan B kids that in my mind, feel the most pressure to make a decision (simply because schools have more options in this grouping). It becomes a bit of a poker game to determine who is holding the best hand (school or recruit) and this is the part of recruiting that is tough.

One example that my son experienced was that he received a call from an SEC school on a Tuesday, asking him to fly down for the weekend. Given flights were quite expensive and given we already had a trip planned to a Big Ten school he really liked, we suggested coming the following weekend. The school said they would get back to him and that is the last time we corresponded with them as he was essentially ghosted. Obviously he was a Plan B kid and they were seeing who would jump first. The process can be really frustrating.

The portal has changed the landscape of recruiting too so that is why you see so many kids committing earlier in the cycle. Not sure it is the best thing but this is the world we live in.
I have to compliment you on a very sensible response.

Back to Fleck, tho, he just seems so fake in his antics and his sideline shit.
Running on the field in IC and getting the 15 yard penalty might still be my all time favorite.

There was an interview back a few years ago from the defensive back out of Omaha, Dickerson?, about how he felt pressured to commit, did commit, and then had doubts after returning home.
That's one instance that was made public.
Did your son play for Fleck?
Also, former Hawkeye receiver Smith-Marsette (who originally verballed to MN) said he felt pressured by Fleck.

I have to compliment you on a very sensible response.

Back to Fleck, tho, he just seems so fake in his antics and his sideline shit.
Running on the field in IC and getting the 15 yard penalty might still be my all time favorite.
He is certainly animated and at times “over the top” but after spending time with him, I don’t feel that any of it is fake. He is truly a type A+++ personality. With that said, he will be the first to tell you that he is not for everybody and my guess is your view of him is a reflection of that.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
He is certainly animated and at times “over the top” but after spending time with him, I don’t feel that any of it is fake. He is truly a type A+++ personality. With that said, he will be the first to tell you that he is not for everybody and my guess is your view of him is a reflection of that.
My view of Fleck was formed when he arrived in Minny with his "year 0" thing, as if he should get a pass for a potentially shitty season in the first year.
The cupboard wasn't bare when he arrived.

Reactions: F5n5
My view of Fleck was formed when he arrived in Minny with his "year 0" thing, as if he should get a pass for a potentially shitty season in the first year.
The cupboard wasn't bare when he arrived.
If you take out the covid year Fleck has gone 11 wins, 9 wins, 9 wins the past 3 seasons....

Andy?

Why cherry pick three seasons?

As I said, when he arrived, they were coming off a 9 win season.
This thread is getting a little off topic so my final comment on PJ.

I think you are mis-remembering the talent PJ inherited. He did not have a QB and the team returned 4 starters on D. Not to mention the turmoil going on in the program. The poster excluded only 2 seasons from his “cherry picking” (the first 2) which were not great at 5 and 7 wins but certainly not disasters. I mean Coach Ferentz only won 7 games in year 16 (2011) so I think some grace can be given to new coaches coming into programs as well (unless it is Scott Frost)

Well stated. Where did your son end up if your willing to share?

Also, former Hawkeye receiver Smith-Marsette (who originally verballed to MN) said he felt pressured by Fleck.
This is one that stood out to me as well, of a pretty good player who ended up playing for the good guys....

Nebraska got the #2 TE in the nation so who cares
A home state kid stayed home, so we're not supposed to care about our recruits?? Sam LaPorta wasn't the #2 TE coming out of high school, but he was the #2 TE going into the draft. I think we'll be fine, I worry more about the poor kid who picked Nebby.

Reactions: millhawk
Well stated. Where did your son end up if your willing to share?
While he is in school, I prefer to limit the information as much as possible to preserve anonymity. I’ll just leave it at he is playing in the Big Ten.

While he is in school, I prefer to limit the information as much as possible to preserve anonymity. I’ll just leave it at he is playing in the Big Ten.
Very Good. Good luck to him, unless he's playing opposite the black and gold, of course...

Reactions: MnPete
I think that's fair, but it poses another question. Would you rather a guy like that is just hyping things and can turn it off...or that that's really him?
I don't argue that PJ is pretty sincere in who he is, we've seen that he cares about his players. That's admirable. But he's f***ing exhausting. The guy comes across as somebody who's seriously overcompensating for something.

I think that's fair, but it poses another question. Would you rather a guy like that is just hyping things and can turn it off...or that that's really him?
I don't argue that PJ is pretty sincere in who he is, we've seen that he cares about his players. That's admirable. But he's f***ing exhausting. The guy comes across as somebody who's seriously overcompensating for something.
Maybe, just possibly, it's that he's been able to turn losing a child into motivation to live, love, and coach to the fullest. For those that don't know his personal story, that's really what "row the boat" is all about. When tragedy hits, don't give up, keep rowing the boat for those who depend on you - your family, your players, your staff, your fans.

The Jim Cramer (CNBC) of football.

Maybe, just possibly, it's that he's been able to turn losing a child into motivation to live, love, and coach to the fullest. For those that don't know his personal story, that's really what "row the boat" is all about. When tragedy hits, don't give up, keep rowing the boat for those who depend on you - your family, your players, your staff, your fans.
I get what you're saying. I know a number of people who've overcome tragedies like his. It takes a lot of strength and resolve, no doubt. But none of them act like a hyped-up used car salesman who seem to want to be the center of attention all the time.

I like making sure that we remain Tight End U and all........................

........but how's that WR recruiting coming? Gonna win the new Big Ten in 2025 with transfers from South Dakota and 2 star recruits from Gladbrook-Reinbeck and Clarinda?

That'll learn those 4 and 5 star recruits to start coming to Iowa so we can win a national f***ing championship.
saw my first Iowa football game 59 years ago, hard to believe really. Over the years I have become realistic about Iowa football. I remember most of the 21 years of losing seasons, so a national title really isn"t on my radar. Winning a Big Championship gets harder every year.

Says the guy with over 10,000 messages on this forum....
And you are on an Iowa message board.

An Iowa message that isn’t part of the team. I’m just a fan that hopes Iowa wins and if they don’t, no biggie. I don’t care to the point of beating my wife like your brethren do after almost every game and loss, because that’s what it’s come to with “your” team. Now kick rocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT