ADVERTISEMENT

Tea leaves say Teske to PSU

Well from what I've heard, Vega gets the better of him right now. And Austin Gomez is an elite blue chip 133 recruit. Not the same as Iowa's room obviously, but "absolutely no one to work out with" is a stretch.
PS: he was again at the RTC practice last night..

This. Vega was little coming into college but is no slouch. Gomez is going to be a stud. They have Parker too who isn’t bad.

This. Vega was little coming into college but is no slouch. Gomez is going to be a stud. They have Parker too who isn’t bad.
Rumors are that Vega has gotten quite a bit bigger and could really turn heads this year. Parker is pretty good too, although I think he is better at FS than Folk.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Maybe PSU is his easiest path to starting as a 125lber between his choices. Kinda hard to not take that opportunity when everyone else in that lineup is going to have to beat out a couple P4P top 10 guys to just make the lineup. But I am sure there will be a couple more 125 P4P in the next few years going there so he will have to battle at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huck
Well from what I've heard, Vega gets the better of him right now. And Austin Gomez is an elite blue chip 133 recruit. Not the same as Iowa's room obviously, but "absolutely no one to work out with" is a stretch.
PS: he was again at the RTC practice last night..
Forgot about Gomez, so good point there. I know he has told people that his hold up with ISU is that the "team stinks." This is a legitimate concern imo. If Vega is getting the best of him now, my guess is that it's not by much and the result would be flipped w/in the first month in a college room.

Or maybe there is more to the decision than money. Like the fact that ISU is horrible right now and he'd have absolutely no one to work out with to get him to the level he wants.
Really enjoy your posts, but that's almost as much of an exaggeration as my power of the slush fund comment.

Vega, Parker, Gomez, Hall would be more than enough to give him a go. And in talking to ISU people, they just rave about Zadick and his coaching abilities

****Ooops, sorry posted to late after you already addressed it.****

Forgot about Gomez, so good point there. I know he has told people that his hold up with ISU is that the "team stinks." This is a legitimate concern imo. If Vega is getting the best of him now, my guess is that it's not by much and the result would be flipped w/in the first month in a college room.

I'm surprised he keeps going to CRTC workouts if the kids there suck so bad..
He might get the best of Vega eventually, but a month more in the room after he has been in it for a long time now seems like you grasping at trying to make this point that is unfounded.

I'm surprised he keeps going to CRTC workouts if the kids there suck so bad..
He might get the best of Vega eventually, but a month more in the room after he has been in it for a long time now seems like you grasping at trying to make this point that is unfounded.
It is the best place for him currently, but Vega, Parker, Hall are not the kind of partners to get you to an NCAA title or above. Gomez possibly is, but he still needs to develop as well.

How long has he been in the room currently? Once a week for a few months? Is he training with college guys specifically every time he's there? Do you have any idea what happens in a college room and how fast guys can develop when exposed to a different level of coaching/training?

If Teske doesn't improve enough in a very short time to consistently beat a guy like Vega, than he's not a recruit I'd be concerned about anyway.

Or maybe there is more to the decision than money. Like the fact that ISU is horrible right now and he'd have absolutely no one to work out with to get him to the level he wants.

I'm starting to have a hard time believing how many recruits there are who turn down full rides at other schools, to go to PSU for a discount. Money is an important factor for most kids and families when deciding which college to go to.

How is it, that all of the top wrestlers at PSU magically don't care about money? I don't buy it.

I'm starting to have a hard time believing how many recruits there are who turn down full rides at other schools, to go to PSU for a discount. Money is an important factor for most kids and families when deciding which college to go to.

How is it, that all of the top wrestlers at PSU magically don't care about money? I don't buy it.
Because they are promised club $ after graduation to pay off there student loans.

Honest question - If Teske were from somewhere other than Iowa, would he even be a guy we would consider given that we have Lee. We need a 133, but would he be the guy we would go after for that spot??

I have it on good authority it's "just good business" practice to go after the state highest rank kid, even if you don't have a need for him.

Personally, I wish Iowa would've gone after Thomsen

So he (allegedly) cancels his visit the week before it is supposed to happen. Didn’t this happen with someone else that was planning to visit Iowa that was also in with PSU? If true, makes you wonder if PSU is doing something to leverage them into cancelling their visits to other places?

Reactions: ILhawk41
Because they are promised club $ after graduation to pay off there student loans.
Don't you guys get tired of this stuff? Really, link one shred of proof.
17zwol.jpg

I have it on good authority it's "just good business" practice to go after the state highest rank kid, even if you don't have a need for him.

They tried after Teasdale de-committed, but he felt disrespected saying " I was here the whole time" Teasdale flipping to PSU really put a monkey wrench in the 133 situation. If TnT wouldn't have recruited over JRent we would be just fine. Teske and Mejia are 125 pounders. They would have never started over Lee. The staff might just be happy with Glynn and Stickley battling it out for 133 next year.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Don't you guys get tired of this stuff? Really, link one shred of proof.
17zwol.jpg

Well, I will say I personally emailed around 10 Universities regarding the NCAA bylaws on how much athletes can be paid for working at camps. The bylaw is incredibly vague and open to manipulation. Only one university emailed me back: Iowa. PSU, Ohio State, Minnesota, Michigan, Okie State, Alabama, Auburn - none of them emailed me back. I even called PSU's compliance department and got the response that they were "in a department meeting, but would call me back" You think I got a call back? Nope.

Here's a direct quote form Michigan's NCAA Compliance Department's website:

"Greetings! It is critical that all of us do our part to learn and abide by NCAA rules that impact Michigan recruits, student-athletes, coaches, and boosters. The goals of the Athletic Department compliance program are to:

• Control and operate the athletics program in accordance with all applicable NCAA, conference, and institutional rules to maintain a culture of compliance.

• Monitor all aspects of the University's athletics programs to ensure compliance; identify and report to the NCAA all instances in which compliance has not been achieved; and affirm that appropriate corrective actions are taken.

• Help all fans and friends of the Michigan athletic program comply with all applicable NCAA, conference, and institutional rules.

Please feel free to contact the Compliance Services Office at (734) 615-7341 with any questions about NCAA rules. Go Blue!"

Well I contacted Michigan, and didn't receive any response back from them.

It's pretty clear that compliance departments either aren't investigating/monitoring athlete camp pay, or they aren't willing to disclose to anyone in the public how they handle it. It's a grey area and I would be shocked if it's not being abused/manipulated by some schools.

Here's Iowa's email response for those who care: (pretty vague, but at least they answered the question and show that the compliance department has some awareness of this situation)

"The Iowa Compliance Office does audit all sport camp activity including student-athlete employment. We collect and audit payroll documentation from all of our institutional camps to verify how much student-athletes, institutional staff and non-institutional staff are being paid to work Iowa camps.

We also work with non-institutional camps and clinics to educate and verify how much they pay student-athletes in the instance a student-athlete is asked to work a non-Iowa camp or clinic during the summer.

There is some variance in wages paid amongst different sports, but nothing too different. Most sport camps pay by the hour, so they set an hourly rate. I assume most D1 Compliance Offices audit sport camps and review student-athlete compensation."

There were several articles published on camp pay as a recruiting tool/scholarship bypass several years ago:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ers-paid-to-work-camps-problem-in-the-making/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ave-summer-camps-exposed-recruiting-loophole/

Like I said, who knows if schools are playing fair or not. Really the responsibility is on the NCAA to update the bylaws and make it very clear. Right now the bylaw is incredibly vague and schools could easily abuse it without technically breaking the rules.

I've also called the NCAA and they informed me that it's each universities own compliance department's responsibility to make sure their programs abide by the bylaws. That seems like a big conflict of interest.

Well, I will say I personally emailed around 10 Universities regarding the NCAA bylaws on how much athletes can be paid for working at camps. The bylaw is incredibly vague and open to manipulation. Only one university emailed me back: Iowa. PSU, Ohio State, Minnesota, Michigan, Okie State, Alabama, Auburn - none of them emailed me back. I even called PSU's compliance department and got the response that they were "in a department meeting, but would call me back" You think I got a call back? Nope.

"Greetings! It is critical that all of us do our part to learn and abide by NCAA rules that impact Michigan recruits, student-athletes, coaches, and boosters. The goals of the Athletic Department compliance program are to:

• Control and operate the athletics program in accordance with all applicable NCAA, conference, and institutional rules to maintain a culture of compliance.

• Monitor all aspects of the University's athletics programs to ensure compliance; identify and report to the NCAA all instances in which compliance has not been achieved; and affirm that appropriate corrective actions are taken.

• Help all fans and friends of the Michigan athletic program comply with all applicable NCAA, conference, and institutional rules.

Please feel free to contact the Compliance Services Office at (734) 615-7341 with any questions about NCAA rules. Go Blue!"

It's pretty clear that compliance departments either aren't investigating/monitoring athlete camp pay, or they aren't willing to disclose to anyone in the public how they handle it. It's a grey area and I would be shocked if it's not being abused/manipulated by some schools.

Here's Iowa's email response for those who care: (pretty vague, but at least they answered the question and show that the compliance department has some awareness of this situation)

"The Iowa Compliance Office does audit all sport camp activity including student-athlete employment. We collect and audit payroll documentation from all of our institutional camps to verify how much student-athletes, institutional staff and non-institutional staff are being paid to work Iowa camps.

We also work with non-institutional camps and clinics to educate and verify how much they pay student-athletes in the instance a student-athlete is asked to work a non-Iowa camp or clinic during the summer.

There is some variance in wages paid amongst different sports, but nothing too different. Most sport camps pay by the hour, so they set an hourly rate. I assume most D1 Compliance Offices audit sport camps and review student-athlete compensation."

There were several articles published on camp pay as a recruiting tool/scholarship bypass several years ago:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ers-paid-to-work-camps-problem-in-the-making/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ave-summer-camps-exposed-recruiting-loophole/

Like I said, who knows if schools are playing fair or not. Really the responsibility is on the NCAA to update the bylaws and make it very clear. Right now the bylaw is incredibly vague and schools could easily abuse it without technically breaking the rules.

I've also called the NCAA and they informed me that it's each universities own compliance department's responsibility to make sure their programs abide by the bylaws. That seems like a big conflict of interest.
Wow. You've been busy. Nice work.

Reactions: WDuck5217

So after all that there is still no shred of evidence. Might be time to move on to other excuses.

Wow. You've been busy. Nice work.

Yep, unfortunately all for naught. No one wants to disclose any of that info even though according to their mission statements, it's their purpose. =)
So after all that there is still no shred of evidence. Might be time to move on to other excuses.

That'd be like a detective asking 10 murderers whether they've killed someone. The murderer says "nope".

Ok case closed. All are innocent.

Get real. Did you miss the part where only 1 out of 10 compliance departments even gave me a response. It's in their mission statements to communicate with the public and work with the public to ensure compliance of NCAA bylaws. Like I said, either they are turning an eye, or they are avoiding disclosing this process to the public.

Last edited:
He was simply sharing information on what he gathered. At no point during his post did he accuse PSU of doing anything against the rules. Might be time to stop being so sensitive

Exactly, the way the bylaw is written, Universities could absolutely manipulate this rule and still be "compliant". It's the NCAA's responsibility to update the bylaw with less vague terms. I also think the NCAA should have some responsibility in auditing compliance. I don't see how that should be solely on the University compliance departments.

He was simply sharing information on what he gathered. At no point during his post did he accuse PSU of doing anything against the rules. Might be time to stop being so sensitive
Go back a few posts. He was commenting on my reply to:
"edquinn06 said:
Because they are promised club $ after graduation to pay off there student loans."
That was what I was referring to. I merely noted his reply provided no evidence. Not sensitive at all. Just realistic.

Exactly, the way the bylaw is written, Universities could absolutely manipulate this rule and still be "compliant". It's the NCAA's responsibility to update the bylaw with less vague terms. I also think the NCAA should have some responsibility in auditing compliance. I don't see how that should be solely on the University compliance departments.
Well maybe they got a look at your avatar and figured that a reply would be fruitless.LOL. Your premise is useless in that your are assuming without proof that everyone is a murderer without a shred of evidence. They did not reply to you because you have no skin in this game.

Reactions: D3wrestler

A many-worded response containing exactly no evidence.

Go back a few posts. He was commenting on my reply to:
"edquinn06 said:
Because they are promised club $ after graduation to pay off there student loans."
That was what I was referring to. I merely noted his reply provided no evidence. Not sensitive at all. Just realistic.
Well maybe they got a look at your avatar and figured that a reply would be fruitless.LOL. Your premise is useless in that your are assuming without proof that everyone is a murderer without a shred of evidence. They did not reply to you because you have no skin in this game.

Are we just going to pretend that there isn't a long history of NCAA sports teams breaking the bylaws and doing things to gain an advantage? People have noticed that one bylaw is incredibly vague and open to abuse/manipulation and I ask questions and you take issue to that?

Reactions: brucefan and Huck
Do people forget Ohio State had to sit out of a bowl game because players were overpaid for part time work? "In November, the NCAA charged Ohio State with failure to monitor. The charge said that the school failed to keep an eye on DiGeronimo, a Cleveland-area booster who overpaid some players for part-time work and gave players cash for a spring charity appearance."

http://www.10tv.com/article/ohio-state-banned-bowl-next-season-placed-3-years-probation

Also, OSU players were suspended because they received discounted prices at a tattoo parlor. (I don't agree with the rule, but it's a rule).

Yet it can't be possible that any universities are abusing a bylaw that is vague on how much they can pay their athletes for working at camps. Pretty naive. I'm just pointing out the flaw and asking questions to the compliance departments. I'm not pointing fingers. If this offends you, ask yourself why.

So he (allegedly) cancels his visit the week before it is supposed to happen. Didn’t this happen with someone else that was planning to visit Iowa that was also in with PSU? If true, makes you wonder if PSU is doing something to leverage them into cancelling their visits to other places?
Most likely. A tactic coaches use is to tell them the the offer is off the table if they go on trips.

Last edited:
They tried after Teasdale de-committed, but he felt disrespected saying " I was here the whole time" Teasdale flipping to PSU really put a monkey wrench in the 133 situation. If TnT wouldn't have recruited over JRent we would be just fine. Teske and Mejia are 125 pounders. They would have never started over Lee. The staff might just be happy with Glynn and Stickley battling it out for 133 next year.
And maybe they see something they like in what they have at 133 in the near future. If this gives us some ammo to land a Hidley or Brooks to shore up the middleweights it may not really be that big a deal. Lets use the great lightweight coaching we have to get an AA out of what we have at 133 and go after some serious top level talent at the middle weights.

Young Gun - totally agree. Regardless of school he isn't beating Lee. Would love for ISU to lose out on their number 1 recruit. We know it would be front page on boards and papers that Dresser beat Brands if he goes to ISU. If he goes anywhere but there, momentum stops in its tracks.

In the past, at your university, there was proof and the coach and administrators swept it under the rug. Do YOU have proof that it isn't happening? No? Then STFU!
It does seem weird that the PSU admin would let these things fly with what they went through but the more I think about it my guess is they are willing to risk letting their coaches push the boundaries for the chance to rebuild their winning reputation to try to erase the past nightmare of a decade. And a little recruiting scandal would be child's play at this point.

Last edited:
Pun intended?

It does seem weird that the PSU admin would let these things fly with what they went through but the more I think about it my guess is they are willing to risk letting their coaches push the boundaries for the chance to rebuild their winning reputation to try to erase the past nightmare of a decade. And a little recurring scandal would be child's play at this point.

So defensive. Why even come here if it bothers you so much? You know things like that are going to come up in conversation when nothing like it has been done before. When financials are somewhat not available speculation will accompany. Not saying that it should all be published either.

If he won't be in your lineup it is not good business practice unless he is cheap and the highest ranked kid is not usually one you can get cheap. It was said from very early on Thomsen was a Nebby kid and that is where he went, we can go after someone all we want but if they have no interest it is a waste of time.

Reactions: Jaybird319
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT