ADVERTISEMENT

Tea leaves say Teske to PSU

How about this quote, "money talks."

ok...

I guess Iowa wrestling needs more donors? What are you getting at? If a person is getting promised money after they graduate, I think that's great. The whole point of going to college is to make a living.

I wish Iowa could promise top recruits the same thing, along with assuring them they don't have to keep their head on a swivel in the shower :D. I get the whole thing about they're a rival, and we have to talk crap about them, but some of the comebacks need rethought.

ok...

I guess Iowa wrestling needs more donors? What are you getting at? If a person is getting promised money after they graduate, I think that's great. The whole point of going to college is to make a living.

I wish Iowa could promise top recruits the same thing, along with assuring them they don't have to keep their head on a swivel in the shower :D. I get the whole thing about they're a rival, and we have to talk crap about them, but some of the comebacks need rethought.

Except this violates NCAA rules does it not?

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Huck
When we can put a team on the mat that scores 110+ points at NCAAs again, then we can turn our attention to what others are doing. We have yet to lose an NCAA title due to Penn State. There has ALWAYS been at least one team other than PSU ahead of us at NCAAs for the past seven years. All this complaining about PSU is a smokescreen. We need to focus on fixing our own house.

ok...

I wish Iowa could promise top recruits the same thing, along with assuring them they don't have to keep their head on a swivel in the shower :D
giphy.gif

Reactions: Huck and honkey69
When we can put a team on the mat that scores 110+ points at NCAAs again, then we can turn our attention to what others are doing. We have yet to lose an NCAA title due to Penn State. There has ALWAYS been at least one team other than PSU ahead of us at NCAAs for the past seven years. All this complaining about PSU is a smokescreen. We need to focus on fixing our own house.

Yet another reason I'd rather see Teske at PSU than ISU.

I'm an architect living in Durango, Colorado who loves and follows wrestling. I decided before the season started to join a forum but couldn't decide till now. Actually my sister went to school at the University of Iowa so after a brief discussion with her I chose the HR. I like to speak my mind but I'm easy to get along with and, I do have thick skin.

I'm an architect living in Durango, Colorado who loves and follows wrestling. I decided before the season started to join a forum but couldn't decide till now. Actually my sister went to school at the University of Iowa so after a brief discussion with her I chose the HR. I like to speak my mind but I'm easy to get along with and, I do have thick skin.

Cool. Welcome to the forum. It's cool that your sister convinced you to follow Iowa wrestling. :)

Welcome!

Reactions: Notsure75
I'm not worried about them contending, I just want to avoid to inevitable narrative of "Dresser beats Brands for top in state talent"
Lol your comment and what you were replying to would say differently but in all honesty - you really care that much about what people will think? Who cares about some stupid narrative from fans. Hoping the top in state kid goes to PSU is ridiculous IMO.

No need to worry about ISU until they attract a few top 20 kids.
They do have some elite kids visiting next week and next month. Brody Teske #6 126, Sammy Sasso #2 145, Brayton Lee #2 152, David Carr #1 160, DJ Shannon #5 170 - we'll see if they actually land any of them though.

You are hired. Welcome aboard.

I have an old friend who lives out your way.He's probably out in the woods on a 4 wheeler looking for something to hunt about now! Seems to love it out there.

Reactions: Notsure75
They do have some elite kids visiting next week and next month. Brody Teske #6 126, Sammy Sasso #2 145, Brayton Lee #2 152, David Carr #1 160, DJ Shannon #5 170 - we'll see if they actually land any of them though.
I guess we'll see. Realistically...I guess their best chances are Sasso and Lee. Shannon is apparently an academic question and Carr isn't leaving the State of Ohio. The funny thing to me is the pursuit of Teske... Iowa sees him as a 133? while ISU seems set at 133, so they must see him as a 125. IMO, getting Teske was more about beating the Hawks for a recruit than anything else.
BTW: Rumors on their site suggest several returning starters may not be buying into what KD and the staff are selling.:p

Welcome fellow Durangoan. I grew up there. My parents and brother's family still live there (Tarpley RV).

I only looked into the bylaws on camp pay. Haven't looked into what you're describing, but I can't imagine that would be kosher.

I believe it is kosher with the NCAA. Don't know for a fact, but this is pretty much how I think it happens...

I'm an ISU fan, so I'll use the Cyclone RTC as an example. This is a privately funded endeavor. I as a fan can donate what ever i want. Let's just say 5 million bucks like a PSU booster did.

Now this money is available at the discretion of Dresser, Metcalf, St. John, and Zadick. There is no university oversight because it it privately funded. Right?

These RTC's all over the country are hiring post graduate wrestlers to train. Who decides what to pay them and does any of this need to be disclosed to the NCAA? I don't believe so. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I don't know what Hall and Gadsen make in the CRTC and nobody even really knows what Metcalf makes coaching there. No FOI because it's privately funded.

Fast forward to recruiting... What is stopping Dresser from telling Teske (or anybody else) that they'll have a paid spot in the CRTC after graduation if they meet certain (variable) standards. AA, NC, etc. Nothing is stopping them from paying for the tuition after the fact. It's like the school is free to offer as much money as needed to get guys.

If I'm wrong, please correct me because i'd like to know.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: LBlindHawk
I believe it is kosher with the NCAA. Don't know for a fact, but this is pretty much how I think it happens...

I'm and ISU fan, so I'll use the Cyclone RTC as an example. This is a privately funded endeavor. I as a fan can donate what ever i want. Let's just say 5 million bucks like a PSU booster did.

Now this money is available at the discretion of Dresser, Metcalf, St. John, and Zadick. There is no university oversight because it it privately funded. Right?

These RTC's all over the country are hiring post graduate wrestlers to train. Who decides what to pay them and does any of this need to be disclosed to the NCAA? I don't believe so. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I don't know what Hall and Gadsen make in the CRTC and nobody even really knows what Metcalf makes coaching there. No FOI because it's privately funded.

Fast forward to recruiting... What is stopping Dresser from telling Teske (or anybody else) that they'll have a paid spot in the CRTC after graduation if they meet certain (variable) standards. AA, NC, etc. Nothing is stopping them from paying for the tuition after the fact. It's like the school is free to offer as much money as needed to get guys.

If I'm wrong, please correct me because i'd like to know.

Thanks
What is to stop them from saying that if you stay out for the team for 5 years we have a booster that is going to pay you $100,000 for mowing his law for the summer after graduation? or hey if you are really good we will give you a job on staff when you are done and you should easily be able to cover the loans you built up by taking our 30% offer over the 100% offer somewhere else.

Currently it seems nothing is stopping certain coaches from doing this, but no way the NCAA is ok with this type of recruiting tactic.

What is to stop them from saying that if you stay out for the team for 5 years we have a booster that is going to pay you $100,000 for mowing his law for the summer after graduation? or hey if you are really good we will give you a job on staff when you are done and you should easily cover the cost of college.

Currently it seems nothing is stopping certain coaches from doing this, but no way the NCAA is ok with this type of recruiting tactic.

That is why I asked. Because the 100k lawnmowing job is legal in NCAA wrestling evidently. Only the "booster" that pays you is the RTC and not a single person.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
While it certainly seems something could be occurring in Happy Valley, I am hung up on one thing.

Wouldn't one of the recruits who went else where have whistle blown by now? If they are doing this, I would imagine they proposed the offer to Spencer Lee. Wouldn't he have at least notified Iowa's staff about what was brought up? I would think so. And to your point, maybe they have and the NCAA has no grounds to monitor. Idk.

That being said David Taylor makes enough to have a really nice house, start a nutritional drink company with his wife and now start a wrestling academy. Obviously he has endorsements as well as camp dollars he makes and USA stipend. Still that is a lot of cheddar for a recent college grad to be throwing around IMO.

Recruiting violations can also be from fans/boosters offering recruits/athletes things on the side

Exactly, this is what happened to Ohio State and the entire team was excluded from participating in bowl season one year because of it. I can't imagine that what you guys are suggesting is legal. Then again, the wording is incredibly vague when it comes to the bylaws for camp pay, so it could be similar with boosters paying athletes "tuition reimbursement" upon graduation. It could be very vague/gray area that is open to manipulation without technically being against the bylaws.

On my end, I'm purely speculating with zero evidence of any foul play by anyone. However, there is a long history of teams abusing the bylaws to get ahead in recruiting. Happens in football all of the time. I think it's naive to think that it can't or isn't happening in wrestling.

The math just does not seem to add up in terms of the number of out of state kids attending PSU for less than a full-ride when they could receive a full-ride at dozens of other schools.

I know from the investigation that I did on camp pay that there is plenty of room for abuse based on how the bylaws are worded. I question who is monitoring this and auditing it. Where is the oversight? Why would a school's NCAA compliance dept. bring light to the manipulation of vague rules. The onus is on the NCAA itself to make the rules less vague and less open to abuse.

Well, I will say this. Penn State's slush fund sure as heck isn't working for Nico Megaludis. If it were, he wouldn't have to be working a day job for Northwestern Mutual in Murraysville, where his dad is an Associate, and have to drive 2 hours (one way) to University Park every time he wants to train with the NLWC.

If our slush fund was really working, Nico would have been in town full time, if for no other reason than to provide a full time training partner for Suriano.

Well, I will say this. Penn State's slush fund sure as heck isn't working for Nico Megaludis. If it were, he wouldn't have to be working a day job for Northwestern Mutual in Murraysville, where his dad is an Associate, and have to drive 2 hours (one way) to University Park every time he wants to train with the NLWC.

If our slush fund was really working, Nico would have been in town full time, if for no other reason than to provide a full time training partner for Suriano.
Sounds like Nico got recruited over.

Exactly, this is what happened to Ohio State and the entire team was excluded from participating in bowl season one year because of it. I can't imagine that what you guys are suggesting is legal. Then again, the wording is incredibly vague when it comes to the bylaws for camp pay, so it could be similar with boosters paying athletes "tuition reimbursement" upon graduation. It could be very vague/gray area that is open to manipulation without technically being against the bylaws.

On my end, I'm purely speculating with zero evidence of any foul play by anyone. However, there is a long history of teams abusing the bylaws to get ahead in recruiting. Happens in football all of the time. I think it's naive to think that it can't or isn't happening in wrestling.

The math just does not seem to add up in terms of the number of out of state kids attending PSU for less than a full-ride when they could receive a full-ride at dozens of other schools.

I know from the investigation that I did on camp pay that there is plenty of room for abuse based on how the bylaws are worded. I question who is monitoring this and auditing it. Where is the oversight? Why would a school's NCAA compliance dept. bring light to the manipulation of vague rules. The onus is on the NCAA itself to make the rules less vague and less open to abuse.
Little early for the hooch don't you think. First you say you have zero evidence and then you say this: The math just does not seem to add up in terms of the number of out of state kids attending PSU for less than a full-ride when they could receive a full-ride at dozens of other schools.
Show us your evidence of this. Give me a list of who gets what and the confirmed offers of full rides to other schools. I doubt you have any way to prove this. Show us the worksheet for the math that you referenced.So please stop your insane quasi investigation. It is insulting to the student athletes. There are so many ways all students finance their educations. Wrestlers are no different. How many kids are on the Iowa roster that receive partials or none at all? Are you accusing them of wrongdoing? Maybe they just like Iowa and Brands. And are willing to take less to be part of their dream to wrestle for Iowa.
Right now PSU is top dog. Team champions, facilities, NLWC included. If you are good enough then there will be opportunities. Same for Iowa. The big difference is recent success. OSU won in 2015 and look at their surge in recruiting. My advice is just win and all will be good in Hockland.

Last edited:
Little early for the hooch don't you think. First you say you have zero evidence and then you say this: The math just does not seem to add up in terms of the number of out of state kids attending PSU for less than a full-ride when they could receive a full-ride at dozens of other schools.
Show us your evidence of this. Give me a list of who gets what and the confirmed offers of full rides to other schools. I doubt you have any way to prove this. Show us the worksheet for the math that you referenced.So please stop your insane quasi investigation. It is insulting to the student athletes. There are so many ways all students finance their educations. Wrestlers are no different. How many kids are on the Iowa roster that receive partials or none at all? Are you accusing them of wrongdoing? Maybe they just like Iowa and Brands. And are willing to take less to be part of their dream to wrestle for Iowa.

Oh get off your moral high ground. This is an internet forum. I explicitly stated I have zero evidence and everything I'm saying is pure speculation and conjecture.

I've pointed out a notable flaw in the NCAA bylaws and how it's open to abuse. There is a long history of teams across numerous sports abusing, manipulating, or breaking the bylaws to gain recruiting advantages. To believe that none of it is happening or could ever happen in wrestling is incredibly naive. Just because I don't have hard evidence, doesn't mean I can't discuss the possibility of it occurring. I'm not accusing anyone of anything.

Again, if you take offense to this, ask yourself why. I've personally called the NCAA enforcement department and can tell you from my conversation with them that I am not very confident in their enforcement process. It revolves around each individual school's compliance department handling the bylaw compliance. Well when the bylaws are incredibly vague, do you think schools are going to go out of their way to take away any advantages they gain based on the ambiguity? It's a conflict of interest. I've also said numerous times that the onus is on the NCAA to clear up the vague wording, and explicitly state what is legal/illegal.

Things I've said:

1) The bylaws are open to recruiting abuse based on the ambiguous and vague wording.

2) I'm astounded at how many wrestlers go to PSU at a discount when they could be receiving full-rides elsewhere. (I'm not going to link you evidence of this, it's quite clear based on the mere fact alone that each school is given 9.9 full rides. However, the evidence is out there if you want to search for it yourself.)

You've drawn the conclusion that I'm accusing PSU of cheating. I didn't make that connection. I have no clue if they're cheating, no evidence that they are, and am purely speculating that there are many scenarios that schools could bypass the scholarship limit through other means while still being technically legal and within the bylaws. I've stated numerous times, that's an issue with the bylaws themselves, and not necessarily the fault of the school.

Sounds like Penn State made Nico hate wrestling and he decided to move on to the real world. Plus, everyone was already beating him in the room.

Oh get off your moral high ground. This is an internet forum. I explicitly stated I have zero evidence and everything I'm saying is pure speculation and conjecture.

I've pointed out a notable flaw in the NCAA bylaws and how it's open to abuse. There is a long history of teams across numerous sports abusing, manipulating, or breaking the bylaws to gain recruiting advantages. To believe that none of it is happening or could ever happen in wrestling is incredibly naive. Just because I don't have hard evidence, doesn't mean I can't discuss the possibility of it occurring. I'm not accusing anyone of anything.

Again, if you take offense to this, ask yourself why. I've personally called the NCAA enforcement department and can tell you from my conversation with them that I am not very confident in their enforcement process. It revolves around each individual school's compliance department handling the bylaw compliance. Well when the bylaws are incredibly vague, do you think schools are going to go out of their way to take away any advantages they gain based on the ambiguity? It's a conflict of interest. I've also said numerous times that the onus is on the NCAA to clear up the vague wording, and explicitly state what is legal/illegal.

Things I've said:

1) The bylaws are open to recruiting abuse based on the ambiguous and vague wording.

2) I'm astounded at how many wrestlers go to PSU at a discount when they could be receiving full-rides elsewhere. (I'm not going to link you evidence of this, it's quite clear based on the mere fact alone that each school is given 9.9 full rides. However, the evidence is out there if you want to search for it yourself.)

You've drawn the conclusion that I'm accusing PSU of cheating. I didn't make that connection. I have no clue if they're cheating, no evidence that they are, and am purely speculating that there are many scenarios that schools could bypass the scholarship limit through other means while still being technically legal and within the bylaws. I've stated numerous times, that's an issue with the bylaws themselves, and not necessarily the fault of the school.
You keep saying you have zero evidence. But when you say you have done the math then that implies something factual. And why would you be astounded that someone would want to be part of a team that has won 6 of the last 7 NCAA titles with 5 individual champions alone in 2017. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Winners like to win!!!:D

Just looked at the PSU roster and only counted 6 out of state guys (Berge, Hall, Lee, Manville, Nevillis, Nickal) that I would say would get full rides at tier 2 schools. I think the offers between IA, PSU, OSU, tOSU, etc. are close to the same amount with coaches trying to save percentages here at there.

Of those 6 guys Hall and Manville have never lived at home, Lee moved to State College in high school. Money is not likely a factor for those guys. Berge, Nevillis and Nickal are blue chippers and for the most part are only going to look at a handful of schools. At the end of the day while it sounds crazy 100-150k isn't going to be a deciding factor for a good number of blue chip recruits.

You keep saying you have zero evidence. But when you say you have done the math then that implies something factual. And why would you be astounded that someone would want to be part of a team that has won 6 of the last 7 NCAA titles with 5 individual champions alone in 2017. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Winners like to win!!!:D

Please show my quote where I said I've done the math. You're making shit up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT