ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers' salaries ranked by state... Actual salary and Cost of Living Adjusted

It's a ten month contract here. And in the two months I have off, I'll be taking a group of students to Atlanta for a week in late June for a national competition and I'll have two separate weeks of training. None of that is compensated. I'll get four weeks of unpaid time - no two of them back to back - to do what I want...so there's that. ;)
Yeah, I got no problem with that. Like I said, I just find it odd when someone says they aren't paid for their time off during the summer.

From the North Carolina teacher's salary schedule:

2008-2009
Teacher with master's after 25 years....$52,570 with annual increases to $57,810 at 31+ years. Pretty simple and no complaints.

2017-2018
Teacher with Master's after 25 years....$51,300 and this is it until retirement whenever that might be. That's the same pay scale as a teacher with a bachelor's degree. The GOP legislature (with a veto-proof majority) tried to strip masters pay from all teachers including those who had been on the masters schedule for years but the court ruled that was unconstitutional. Those teachers who earned their masters degree by August 2013 now get $56,430 at 25 years with no change until retirement. If you got your masters degree after that...too bad.

Teachers also once got a longevity bonus every year that equaled a percentage of their salary....4.5% at 25+ years....that would equal about $2,600 for a teacher at the top of the pay scale. The GOP state legislature (remember that veto-proof majority?) did away with that. Of course, they still allow bonuses to their staffs that can hit 19%. So...yeah...a staffer with 25+ years making $51,300 could get a bonus on top of that of nearly $10K....'cause we need to pay to keep the best you know.

Oh...and the budget for supplies...things like, you know, books and shit...they cut that from $68/student to $31/student (that's adjusted for inflation). Teachers at my school are using class sets of ten year old textbooks that are duct taped together There are no textbooks for students to take home.

So, yes, I'm complaining about teacher pay here and to those who have an issue with that, you can kindly shove it...sideways. :)

Sounds like you have a legit case to complain. What people like hydro will do is take that and use it as evidence that teachers in Iowa think they are underpaid and always complain about it.

Sadly, I could see a lot of schools in Iowa going down a similar path as what NC did over the next ten years.

Yeah, I got no problem with that. Like I said, I just find it odd when someone says they aren't paid for their time off during the summer.
Well, part of that is a response to people who say "Teachers get three months of vacation!!!" Everywhere I worked prior to becoming a teacher, vacation was paid. Those summer weeks aren't vacation. Additionally, there's hours and hours of time after school and on weekends. Here's enough info for anyone who cares that you could identify me. That STEM team competing this summer? We're the six-time state chapter of the year and I was named the NC Advisor of the Year last year. The best part of that last is the kids and my co-advisor (she's truly amazing and no pic) filled out the parts of the application that I'm supposed to do. I had no idea I was even nominated until last year's national conference when they called all the state chapter advisor winners to the stage and my kids started cheering and telling me to go up there. :)

I also coach an engineering team that won fifth in the nation last month. I also advise an academic team that's going for it's fifth consecutive national championship - the last time we lost to anybody was in the national finals in 2013. I couldn't begin to add up all the hours after the official day ends that we spend working with kids. And I love every second. But the NC GOP has robbed us of the things we expected when we took the job and I have no problem pointing it out.

I work in higher education and have a bachelors degree.

Private or public? Not exactly the line of work that you would expect to lob insults at teachers. You should give us more details so we can complain about what you do.

so you have a bachelors and work less time than a teacher if higher education refers to college, yet make more. What is precisely your problem with teachers, since on average they are more educated than you are. The average teacher doesn't just have a BA.

I never said I work less than a teacher I said I make more than the average.

It’s called working you’re way up.

You probably wouldn’t know about it because you’re too busy whining all the time.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Private or public? Not exactly the line of work that you would expect to lob insults at teachers. You should give us more details so we can complain about what you do.
remember college in in session less than k-12, so he rarely works. Or does that blanket statement not "fit" you hydro?

You probably wouldn’t know about it because you’re too busy whining all the time.
well you work in higher ed. so you can't work very often.

working your way up.. lol...
that's the only way a teacher makes a decent living...

Then go be a teacher or stfu. You get what you pay for. Teaching is a thankless, shit job most people would not be able to handle. Oh, and you have to be college educated. You sound like a fvcking moron.

If it’s a “thankless, shit job” then why do they do it?

“Decent living”

Average salary is over 50,000 in Iowa. That’s not terrible.
it's not but that average includes roughly 30% of those people having a masters degree. You act like they are overpaid.
Do you think 32K for someone with a BA is a good starting salary?

it's not but that average includes roughly 30% of those people having a masters degree. You act like they are overpaid.
Do you think 32K for someone with a BA is a good starting salary?

Do you need a masters degree to teach?

I’m split on this. My gf is a teacher, she doesn’t complain about her salary although she knows she won’t make much more than she does now. She’s home usually every day before I am, plus has her Summers off.

I make considerably more money than she does but I also put in a ton of hours too.

Hey guess what? You can. Put your money where your mouth is.

I've been teaching 14 years and I've never heard one person complain about their pay.
Only complaint I ever hear is about having to deal with kids who were raised by parents like you.

I wish I was in your school building(s). I've been in the teaching profession for 16 years (serving in four different schools now) and every place I've been the teachers complain about their pay.

Because I make more than a teacher

But you seemed so interested in the time off....

Look, I get it. It's tough. Most teachers are paid out of tax dollars. Pay increases = tax increases. Yet, we want the best teachers for our kids....yet we want a field that requires a college degree and a master's or higher for advancement to be full of people who will work for far less than their equally educated peers make in private sector positions.

So why aren't you, then?
but-why-male-models.jpg

Being a career changer, i got into education because I liked working with kids, it provided a better family life and I knew the real financial benefit will be when I retire (although anyone getting into education now can’t really say that). The teachers in my district complain a bit about salary, but everyone in my district (superintendent all the way down) is not paid as well as neighboring districts. But we have great kids, supportive families and a staff that works really well together, so that helps out.

I would take less pay for three months vacation and a pension that contributes about 9% on my behalf.

Actually think you could get some good teachers if they had some program targeted at empty nesters (likely don’t need as high a salary as they did when they had kids) That trained them at night to become teachers. They would obviously already have some type of degree.

If only there was a way that they could see their projected income prior to starting their course work to their teaching degree

but I guess until there is a way to find such statistics we will have to deal with some complaining about perceived low pay after they enter work force .

I would take less pay for three months vacation and a pension that contributes about 9% on my behalf.

Actually think you could get some good teachers if they had some program targeted at empty nesters (likely don’t need as high a salary as they did when they had kids) That trained them at night to become teachers. They would obviously already have some type of degree.

If you would do that, then go right ahead. Who's stopping you?

Hey guess what? You can. Put your money where your mouth is.

I've been teaching 14 years and I've never heard one person complain about their pay.
Only complaint I ever hear is about having to deal with kids who were raised by parents like you.

I wish I was in your school building(s). I've been in the teaching profession for 16 years (serving in four different schools now) and every place I've been the teachers complain about their pay.

Guess I'm lucky but it's the honest truth. Then again, I teach at the high school and most complaints about things that go on in our district come from the elementary teachers.

If only there was a way that they could see their projected income prior to starting their course work to their teaching degree

but I guess until there is a way to find such statistics we will have to deal with some complaining about perceived low pay after they enter work force .
Oh...you mean like the salary schedule I posted about earlier? Yeah...that's helpful.

how many work days does the average professional with a ba/bs degree work? Just curious. Most professionals I know have over 4 weeks of vacation. Some getting a vacation day for ever 2 weeks worked.
I don't know that well because i don't complain about my own salary let alone another professionals. Nor do I hear other teachers complain, nor do I hear them complain on here.

The only people I hear complain and bitch about other peoples pay generally didn't go to college and have no real skills. they're more concerned about what others have that they don't.

Reactions: lucas80
Guess I'm lucky but it's the honest truth. Then again, I teach at the high school and most complaints about things that go on in our district come from the elementary teachers.

I have experience in elementary, middle, and high school, and it's also been my experience that elementary teachers tend to be the most negative about their jobs.

No. Make the argument like you did that you don't really have 3 months off. That you do other things like take your teams on trips and having training. The argument that you don't actually get paid for those "vacation days" is a bad argument. It makes no difference if you are technically paid for them or not.

I've always found this argument that you aren't paid for summer days odd. It's seems pretty standard when discussing salaries we're talking about a yearly salary. If you were comparing salaries with someone else, would you adjust your salary to reflect what it would be for working the full year? Let's say you make $50,000 for the 9 months (I know it might be more that that; just using 9 months as an example) you work. Do you specify you make $50,000/year or $50,000/9months. Or do you adjust the $50,000 to $66,000 and say you make $66,000/year to reflect what you would make if you worked the full year? ($50,000/9*12).
I am paid for 185 days of work. My salary is for those days. People think teachers get paid money for our days off in the summer. Whatever their thinking is it sure bothers the hell out of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT